Older women success stories please!

Options

Replies

• mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    I am 45 years old, just lost ten stubborn pounds over six months. I did it while taking pain medication and drinking red wine, but eating below my TDEE and trying to keep my protein between 75 and 100 grams per day. If my arms were in my picture you'd see wrinkly skinny old lady arms:). But I am going to lift as soon as possible!!! It's better when you're in your forties ladies!!! We have a extra testosterone for muscle building!!! These days are the best ever:).
  • newmelady
    newmelady Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I am 56. I lost 20-22 pounds in four months. But since October 2012, I am in a plateau. I am doing free weights. I have great back. My arms are developing muscles nicely. But the problem is the extra layer of fat is making them look bulky. I need to lose 3-5 kg ASAP.:smile:
  • KimberlyAndrews1
    KimberlyAndrews1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I am 47, soon to be 48. Losing weight now is much harder than it was in my 20's and 30's. I was actually a fitness buff around 34 years of age. But once I hit 40 and every year since, I have steadily gained weight, starting feeling worse and worse, and it has gotten harder to exercise. I believe I am also starting perimenopause to boot. About five years ago I was 175 and got down to 150 and felt and looked pretty good, so I'd be happy to get there again, but 140 would be fabulous. I currently weight the highest I every have...185. Now here I am about 40-45 pds overweight with high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I totally lack motivation, energy and patience. I am trying to ease back into healthier eating...little at a time. And trying to walk 3 x a week to start. Last fall, I tried a Couch to 5K running program and made it through 1/2 of the 12 weeks before I got a stress fracture to my ankle. I have been sedentary ever since. Now that my ankle has finally healed, I'm trying to ease back into walking and then later, I hope to sometime in the future to try the running program again. Keeping the faith and motivation is a struggle as I just don't feel well most of the time. I sure wish I had the motivation, energy and health like I did in my 20's & 30's.
  • princesspamelatransformation
    Options
    I am so inspired by the ladies on this thread..thank you. I am 43 year young. It is hard work, I try to exercise daily and I got a long journey ahead of me....but I been having a steady weight loss since joining MFPs.
  • Penelope2738
    Penelope2738 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to get intimidated by all the 20 something people who lose 100 lbs and look AMAZING!! I'm afraid that when I lose my 60 lbs, I'm still going to look like an "eh" 45 year old. I also have heard that it's so much harder to lose weight post-menopause. Should I just throw in the towel now?:ohwell:
    I' not exactly "older" at 33-getting there- but I just saw a post by a 43 yr old mom of two in her new bikini-really! She looks better than me:blushing: and never give up, because if you do, you're done! and that's all she wrote.
  • skinnycatrina
    skinnycatrina Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Im 54 and yes, it was much easier losing weight when i was younger (and had no kids to wear me out, ha ha). Had lots of energy to exercise then. But now, not so much. Im going to take up swimming again and i just started The Alternate Day Diet .... you restrict your calories every other day and eat as you normally would on the other days. Its suppose to activate a gene we all have called SRT1 which slows the again process, cuts diseases like cancers and heart disease by half (big killers of women) and decreases inflammation and oxidative cell damage . The "fasting" days are hard, but the feast days are great. I have just started so I'm struggling to keep my fasting calories under 500 cals (only for the first two weeks or actually only 7 alternate days). After the initial two weeks to kick start your weight loss, you increase your fast day calories. But It seems to be working ... This is day 4 (and the second day of fasting) and im down 3lbs. I think doing this alternate day fasting, you east less calories as a total over the course of a week, so you lose weight. The increase in SRT1 is the added bonus ... Both my parents died of cancer ( breast and colon) so im really doing it for that reason ... even though i really do need to lose 20lbs. :). Check out the website alternatedaydiet.com. I bought the e book which has much more information than the website.
  • cranium853
    cranium853 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Youngster,

I would rather hit my 60th birthday in August healthy and fit and energized than hit another one like the last time, tired and ashamed of my lack of stamina and eating horrible foods because I was angry. If not now, when? I no longer date sixteen year old boys, or even the 20-somethings I used to like, and my husband likes me no matter what I look like. So why lose the weight? Because I want to be the best "me " at any age. This year I went snorkeling and kayaking and am going to Germany when I don't speak a word (got the Google translator going, though) and I absolutely insist upon enjoying life. That's how I define success; not whether some 40-something guy thinks I'a a cougar. If I have thirty years to go, I want to do them with flash.....
  • leaffan12
    leaffan12 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    bump (interesting topic) will read later when I have more time
  • Sierrasdawn2
    Sierrasdawn2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm 56.

We improve our diets and exercise not just for weight loss for our longterm health.

I swim, bike, workout at the gym, take Pilates and yoga [and run when I'm not injured]---and love it all.

Good quality food tastes great and makes me feel good in addition to helping me maintain a sensible weight.

When I go back to the small hometown where I grew up most people my age are shocked that I seem "not to have aged" [I see it!]. I don't have to take pills for a million ailments. I can keep up with people of all ages. I experience a freedom in my body that others don't [and I'm grateful for this].

Remember all the health benefits of good food and exercise!
    Good luck!
  • ladylemoncurd
    Options
    I started on May 17th last year, 40lbs overweight at 46 and starting the perimenopause. I'm now 47, still in the perimenopause (grrrr) and 42lbs lighter. Haven't found it that hard as am walking every day and still being careful but I'm keeping it off and LOVING being able to buy clothes from Top Shop rather than Evans - that's my motivation. You can do it, honestly x
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Lady Lemoncurd. What a great post and a real inspiration! You look great in your photograph.... Perimenopause is a complete pain. I am finding the gym helps greatly and keeping positive.
  • Brynnca
    Brynnca Posts: 11
    Options
    Saving to read entire thread later!
  • LuvtheCubs
    LuvtheCubs Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Utahgirl12
    Utahgirl12 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    So, it's not just me feeling like this, lol!

I'm going to be 45 next week, and I've been feeling miserable about my weight for the last few years. I've lost 3 stone twice before, but it's found me again both times. I've noticed now that my weight is definitely affecting how I feel about myself; I'm not bothered about trying to look nice; just throwing on whats "comfy" (what a middle aged word!) I need to get myself back on track.

I've got lots to look forward to; in 102 days I'm having a big adventure in that I'm going to Nepal to teach English to Buddhist monks. All by myself! No husband, no 3 kids. Just big old me! I'm ready for my big adventure whilst being so scared the same time. I'm going to be so far out of my comfort zone.

So, anyway, I'm rambling! Just wanted to say hi to all you lovely ladies!
  • michmich68
    michmich68 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    45-yo here bumping it up....
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I last posted on this thread last November. At that point, I had lost around 80 pounds. I have lost a bit more since then, hike all the time, work with a trainer, lift and feel alive again!

I'll be 56 in a few weeks and I'm 5' 7.5" tall. When I started in February of 2012, I could barely walk, my health had gotten so bad. I couldn't actually stand up straight anymore and had lost height, down to 5' 5"! I stand tall now, I no longer hide in my home, I get out in the world and mingle, although I'm not single! haha I have gained almost all my height back, no longer stooped over. I feel wonderful.

Anyone can do this, you just have to want to and believe in yourself. Give yourself some type of motivation that means a lot to you. My biggest motivation was clothes. I sew my own. I started last year as a size 20-22, creating clothes to wear when I made it to size 6-8. I have a closet full of new fashions and it kept my eye on the prize at the end! I can now wear almost all my new clothes and I am tickled!

Do what you love. Love yourself. I had to learn to like me, all over again. I was miserable with myself. No longer...I'm back! You can do anything that you think you can. You can't do anything that you think you can't! Simple as that!

My ticker shows my one year progress.

april102013compare3_zpsb68d0fa4.jpg
  • YEAHSHAY
    YEAHSHAY Posts: 10
    Options
    Not sure that I fall into the Older lady category, but here I am and responding.
    My situation is somewhat unique in that, in my menopausal stage, I HAVE FINALLY gained
    The weight that I could never put on throughout my life.

I am technically 40 lbs overweight for my height of 5' 10. I too have gained the weight around the middle over the past seven years, but more so due to heart surgery that I underwent in 2009. Now, that my condition is under control, I am trying to tighten up the Belly area and my back fat. It might be a challenge, but I am going to give it my best shot. I am 55 and looking forward to putting on my clothes this summer and rocking my beauty. AGE IS BUT A NUMBER!
  • YEAHSHAY
    YEAHSHAY Posts: 10
    Options
    What a major transformation? Great job!
  • TerrySlim
    Options
    I last posted on this thread last November. At that point, I had lost around 80 pounds. I have lost a bit more since then, hike all the time, work with a trainer, lift and feel alive again!

I'll be 56 in a few weeks and I'm 5' 7.5" tall. When I started in February of 2012, I could barely walk, my health had gotten so bad. I couldn't actually stand up straight anymore and had lost height, down to 5' 5"! I stand tall now, I no longer hide in my home, I get out in the world and mingle, although I'm not single! haha I have gained almost all my height back, no longer stooped over. I feel wonderful.

Anyone can do this, you just have to want to and believe in yourself. Give yourself some type of motivation that means a lot to you. My biggest motivation was clothes. I sew my own. I started last year as a size 20-22, creating clothes to wear when I made it to size 6-8. I have a closet full of new fashions and it kept my eye on the prize at the end! I can now wear almost all my new clothes and I am tickled!

Do what you love. Love yourself. I had to learn to like me, all over again. I was miserable with myself. No longer...I'm back! You can do anything that you think you can. You can't do anything that you think you can't! Simple as that!

My ticker shows my one year progress.

april102013compare3_zpsb68d0fa4.jpg

Whoa! You look like a totally different person....And 15 years younger! Great job!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!