What was your wake up call?

Options
Mine was when I asked my teenage daughter if I was fat and she answered "I plead the fifth".

Replies

• sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I saw my Xmas pictures and I didn't recognize myself.
  • ShellGetsFit
    ShellGetsFit Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Realizing that I want nothing to do with all of the health problems that come with not taking care of yourself properly. My MIL is morbidly obese and my father passed away recently from numerous health problems. I want to lead a full, active, healthy life and if I can do anything to help that along, I am going to!! :smile:
  • LeShea417
    Options
    Yeah, pictures show it everytime. A very big wake up call!
  • GracefulDancer4Christ
    GracefulDancer4Christ Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    mine was when I saw my picture when my mom and stepdad got married and my once 5"4 inches tall and 125 pound frame became 5"4 inches tall and 250 pounds.
  • loveadrianna217
    loveadrianna217 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Not looking and feeling like myself.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I had two, I guess. My "big" pants were tight around my rear, uncomfortable for sitting, and left marks on my stomach from being too tight. I just let that call go to voicemail, so to speak, and figured I'd do something about it "later." The second wake up call, and the one I really acted on, was that I went to the doctor and stepped on the scale. I was 11 pounds heavier than the weight I vowed to myself was the highest I'd ever let myself get.
  • LozzieWebb
    LozzieWebb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Going to see the doctor about 'monthly' problems and her asking me if I wanted gastric band surgery! Ooops!! :blushing:
  • hfester
    hfester Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have been good about staying active and watching my weight for about three years, give or take, but after moving to a rural area with no access to gyms, I put back on about 10 pounds. I wasn't too worried about it and figured I'd take the weight off...eventually. Then, after FINALLY getting to the gym and having a proper workout, I realized the contrast of how depressed I had become versus the empowered, happy person I am when I am working out and eating well. That's all it took for me to get my butt back in gear!
  • LeShea417
    Options
    Shelgetsfit, I feel the same way! I decided I wanted to prevent obesity related diseases such as Diabetes 2, heart disease, etc. Not wait until I get sick to make changes or wait till I get so obese that the weight loss seems insurmountable.
  • StephanieCo3
    StephanieCo3 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Divorce

When I was very depressed I didn't care about how I looked. My mother and grandmother tried to intervene by taking me shopping for new clothes since I was still wearing maternity clothes months after my son was born. It should have been a wake up call that the only pants that fit were double digits, but I bought elastic ones instead. It really wasn't until I got divorced and started making plans for my future that I wanted to be healthy and happy again. It also coincided with my son getting more mobile, but even when I was bigger I could still move pretty well, though my knees would get sore with the extra weight. But now that I am losing weight I can tell a big difference on how I can play with my 2 year old. I'm also dating someone who is very thin so it motivates me to be thin too.
  • tabbatha35
    tabbatha35 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My wake up call was being diagnosed with high blood pressure while trying to battle my hypothyroidism. My family has a history of high blood pressure, heart disease, and strokes. A couple of years ago I had a brother who died of heart disease. I refuse to continue to be overweight. I know I can win this battle as long as a I don't give up and do my very best to stick to it.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Facing the reality that none of my clothes fit. No pants I could wear to work without my butt hanging out. And not wanting to buy nice clothes for this frame because I considered it temporary. It's not temporary unless I do something about it!
  • sofia81
    sofia81 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was already overweight and gained 60 more pounds in the last 2 yrs. Keep going up in size and now since I'm getting older the fat is accumulating on my one flat stomach (I always had a flat stomach even while being overweight).... I also want to get pregnant at some point so I can't keep doing this to myself.

I'm tired of it. :(
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    My husband took a picture of me and my daughter at the zoo. I couldn't believe I looked so frumpy. I'm usually behind the camera so I don't see myself much. I made up my mind then to make a change.

Also, some of my work pants that used to be loose were getting tight--they're loose again now though! Time to go shopping. Hooray!
  • bossyfairy
    bossyfairy Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Going shopping last week, trying clothes on and seeing myself in the changing room mirrors. Nothing I liked looked nice and I had 'fat lady' legs.

Mortified!
  • daisydaisy99
    daisydaisy99 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I got sick and tired of being sick and tired and I have to stop saying that I'll do something about it "later" because later never seems to come! It's also terrible to glimpse yourself in a mirror and wonder who that fat old lady is!
  • nsagley
    nsagley Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I was getting ready to go out with my boyfriend for Valentine's Day and everything I put on looked terrible because I had so many lumps and rolls.
  • DankaCibulka
    DankaCibulka Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    jeans in size 20:noway:
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    My sister had a heartattack last year at 38. She very nearly died and would have left 3 beautiful kids behind. It still took me awhile to really vow to stick to it but now I'm here and plugging along. Also helps that I have major things happening this year that I want to look good for! :D
  • DesireeAshley90
    DesireeAshley90 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    When I would always decline invites out with friends. I didn't fit into anything in my closet anymore. That's when I realized I had officially hit the "too embarrassed to go out" rock bottom.