Skinny gossip

Options

Replies

• holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Also, no one is butthurt.

I totally am. At least I think so. That's what the bullies call people when they've hurt someone's feelings on the internet, right?

Don't let her get you down! :heart:

I appreciate your concern for my feelings, but it's okay.

Maybe some day I'll mellow out and it won't affect me so much, though. :D
  • musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    bump for later!
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Can't say I'm surprised. The name of the website sounds like it's straight out of Mean Girls: The College Years.

Agreed. Moreover, the emphasis there seemed to be strictly aethetics, not health. Not something I'd be interested in my older, wiser years (at 25 lol), but something I'd probably read in high school or early college, unfortunately.

I'd say it's dangerous for young girls. It probably is. But it's a message that gets bombarded to young females in all sorts of media, not just this site.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Sorry if someone's brought it up already, but the Kate upton article enrages me. This woman is hardly a "cow" and anyone in their right mind would love to have her body (or for those into ladies, sleep with her body!) http://www.skinnygossip.com/kate-upton-is-well-marbled/

Cows are known for their teats, much like Kate Upton. I would have to gain weight to achieve Kate Upton's waistline. She is an apple shape, with a very flabby midsection. It's true that I am not in my right mind, but it is not because I don't want to have her body.

ehhs93.jpg

Great if you're an apple shaped woman working your way down from obese, but obviously not a one-size-fits-all body that everyone is going to love.

Ok, not bashing any body type, but I am just curious. I read that her measurements are a healthy 36-25-34. Do I have a completely skewed view of what a 25 inch waist looks like? Because to me, her waist and hips are much larger than that. Wouldn't a 25 inch waist be more like a size 2? I realize that the fashion world always lies about body measurements, but come on, if they are going to advertise this as a 25 in waist, then no wonder young girls are starving to get to an 18 in waist. Maybe if the industry got real with actual weight and measurements, and stopped photoshopping the heck out of all the pics, then girls today might not have such a warped sense of body image.
  • holothuroidea
    Options
    I think it's really hard to say from a photo. Angles could be weird. In this picture, her head looks proportionally very small. I'm sure her head isn't really that tiny. There are loads of pictures of her floating around where she's in these awkward positions, her belly is sticking out or she's super slouched over or twisted around. I think she has become a target, and so those images become popular.

If you google her name and look at all the pictures, I'd say her waist is very slim. Not as slim as a high fashion model, and not as curvy waist-to-hip as a lingerie model but definitely slim compared to the average woman.

BTW, all my stats are in the healthy range and my waist is 31in. Even if her waist isn't really 25'', she is not overweight by any stretch of the imagination.
  • dimsumkitty
    dimsumkitty Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I read that her measurements are a healthy 36-25-34.

This website gives them as 34-29-36, which seems more likely. The 34 is wrong though, since it claims her bra size is 34D so the chest circumference will be a few inches more than that. (I'm the same height as her, so I can calibrate, and yeah there's no way that's 25.)

Figures about celebrities' shapes and weights are usually wrong though. Also her weight's fluctuated a lot in the past couple of years because of various demands on her.

Edit: this website! http://healthyceleb.com/kate-upton-height-weight-body-statistics/875/
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i joined this site when i was 127 (5'4"), not overweight or anything. mostly to track my protein intake since i am a veg and want to make sure i get enough of the good stuff in.
    b!tches be crazy
  • taliar93
    taliar93 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Definitely a pro-ana site, just saw a forum on there about "a pattern with losing my period"
  • gowrirao81
    gowrirao81 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    What a fascinating site! I could not believe people like that existed ... glad I don't know any personally! The members on there don't want to be slim or fit or healthy ... they actually want to be skinny! Surely that is a disorder... so many posts about secretly being happy that they got sick and lost weight ...WTF!
    And seriously ... what is the obsession with the 'Xylophone'!? I had to research to get what they meant ... :laugh:
  • IkirPaulson
    IkirPaulson Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I guess everyone has their own agenda. A lot of people are pointing out threads that make the forum seem full of pro-Ana girls. If that were the case, why then is there a thread "I'm over 60kilos" where a member thinks she doesn't belong on skinny gossip because she's overweight. All the rest of the members chime in with support about how it's not all about weight and how much they appreciate her participation in the forums? Or about how they too are over 60kg and some above 70kg? If it was really such a horrible pro-Ana forum then I would never expect to see so many supportive members.

"But they think gorgeous women like Kate Upton are fat!"

And your point is? We are all entitled to our own opinions. As if all of us here have never had a negative opinion of someone's appearance? Even if it is not based on anything credible other than we just "don't like them" for whatever reason. People can be catty and vindictive. Not to mention rude.

The lack of face-to-face interactions on the Internet provides us with a place to speak our minds when we normally wouldn't. Rarely do I come across a domineering person in public. However the Internet is raging with them. Myself included.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I guess everyone has their own agenda. A lot of people are pointing out threads that make the forum seem full of pro-Ana girls. If that were the case, why then is there a thread "I'm over 60kilos" where a member thinks she doesn't belong on skinny gossip because she's overweight. All the rest of the members chime in with support about how it's not all about weight and how much they appreciate her participation in the forums? Or about how they too are over 60kg and some above 70kg? If it was really such a horrible pro-Ana forum then I would never expect to see so many supportive members.

"But they think gorgeous women like Kate Upton are fat!"

And your point is? We are all entitled to our own opinions. As if all of us here have never had a negative opinion of someone's appearance? Even if it is not based on anything credible other than we just "don't like them" for whatever reason. People can be catty and vindictive. Not to mention rude.

The lack of face-to-face interactions on the Internet provides us with a place to speak our minds when we normally wouldn't. Rarely do I come across a domineering person in public. However the Internet is raging with them. Myself included.

Well, based on what I saw them saying about the Victoria secret models and other threads comparing fashion models, I think they would consider me to me too fat and I weigh 100 pounds, have a low body fat %, and I am a size 00. I'm 35, so I can laugh about it, but younger people that are struggling with distorted body image would not see the nonsense in it (it just confirms their distortions). Sure, there isn't anything we can do about it, but we can speak about how we feel about it, so that there is a counteractive voice out there to help people see the other side of things (and just because we want to anyway).
  • holothuroidea
    Options
    If it was really such a horrible pro-Ana forum then I would never expect to see so many supportive members.

Is it possible that you don't really know what a pro-ana forum looks like?

They are, for the most part, very supportive and positive. That's kind of the point.
  • MaysieMoo92
    Options
    I think it's a horrid site.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Well, based on what I saw them saying about the Victoria secret models and other threads comparing fashion models, I think they would consider me to me too fat and I weigh 100 pounds, have a low body fat %, and I am a size 00. I'm 35, so I can laugh about it, but younger people that are struggling with distorted body image would not see the nonsense in it (it just confirms their distortions).

I don't think anyone can call you too fat, where do you go after size 00?? :) The fact that you weigh 100lb instead of 90lb is because of your muscles from dancing. Surely you must be at least as slim as a Victoria's Secret model, they're really not that thin, they're pretty normal in European standards. Even in the US, when I was visiting Boston a couple of months ago, most people on the street were thinner than VS models and I wish I was exaggerating here. Everyone was super skinny! That's totally not the case down here in the mid-atlantic :)

Oh, thanks. I don't think I am fat (of course).I don't want to be any thinner than I am now. I don't think going below 98 pounds suits me aesthetically or my health. I do have muscular legs from dancing. Yeah, I am as slim as the vs models. But, on the site they were calling the vs models (that have muscular legs) fatties. I can't imagine thinking those models are fat. They are not too thin. They have a healthy body weight, and they are fit and muscular also. I'm originally from Boston.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Well, sizing as it is. I am a 00 in the stores these days, but probably would not be by model standards either. And probably not in all stores either. I think my size is usually a 0, can be a 00 in a lot of stores, but in yoga pants I can wear a 2 or a 4, and in J.Crew (with their extra vanity sizing) the 00's are too big. 00 and 0 were really only created (at least in clothing stores) because of vanity sizing resulting in the size 2's being too big for people that were that size before. Any way, it doesn't matter what size I am.

Yeah, I'm 35 and a mother of two, and only 5'2". I don't see any reason to compare myself to models. The article they wrote was disturbing to see young women talking that way about turning 30 and having babies. But, that's my opinion.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I also would never have a body like Kate Upton and would not try to strive for that either, My waist is 23 inches and my booty is 34 inches, so I have a very small waist and a curvy body shape. Kate Upton has a straight body type, without waist definition and without a booty, but she has large and pretty breasts (she also has a very pretty face). I wouldn't want to trade my body for hers. I like my body, and I am a dancer. But, I still think Kate Upton is incredibly beautiful and attractive (and I enjoy looking at her), I think women are beautiful and I like the variety in how they look. I agree that I don't like when people put down slender people (like I said I weigh 100 pounds and my BMI is below 18.5). But, I also feel absolutely no need or desire to put down anyone's body. Most of the aspects of our body shape are genetic. Fitness is something we can work on and improve the look of our body and have our best body, but the basic shape of our bone structure, distribution of where we carry our healthy fat, and even how our muscles develop is all an aspect of genetics. And as we get older and have babies that is (in my opinion) not something to be insulted. You are only young for a very short time. And as you grow older you don't only see changes in your body, you also experience further growth in the development of the judgement centers in your brain which is a very good thing (unless you are doing something to short circuit that process).

I would question why, if your BMI was already low, you felt the need to lose more weight? Suggests you have issues, no offence. You keep repeating your weight and stats as if being underweight is a badge of honour.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I also would never have a body like Kate Upton and would not try to strive for that either, My waist is 23 inches and my booty is 34 inches, so I have a very small waist and a curvy body shape. Kate Upton has a straight body type, without waist definition and without a booty, but she has large and pretty breasts (she also has a very pretty face). I wouldn't want to trade my body for hers. I like my body, and I am a dancer. But, I still think Kate Upton is incredibly beautiful and attractive (and I enjoy looking at her), I think women are beautiful and I like the variety in how they look. I agree that I don't like when people put down slender people (like I said I weigh 100 pounds and my BMI is below 18.5). But, I also feel absolutely no need or desire to put down anyone's body. Most of the aspects of our body shape are genetic. Fitness is something we can work on and improve the look of our body and have our best body, but the basic shape of our bone structure, distribution of where we carry our healthy fat, and even how our muscles develop is all an aspect of genetics. And as we get older and have babies that is (in my opinion) not something to be insulted. You are only young for a very short time. And as you grow older you don't only see changes in your body, you also experience further growth in the development of the judgement centers in your brain which is a very good thing (unless you are doing something to short circuit that process).

I would question why, if your BMI was already low, you felt the need to lose more weight? Suggests you have issues, no offence. You keep repeating your weight and stats as if being underweight is a badge of honour.

This is the second time you have done this. I know you have an eating disorder, and I have compassion for that. I do not have an ED. Just because you have disordered eating does not mean that I do (you view others through your own experience). You always question me why I am on this site (and I answer). I did not join this site to lose weight. I joined the site because I saw that a friend liked it on facebook, and I did not know what it was, and I like fitness, so I checked it out. I have never ever, at anytime, on this site, eaten at a deficit or been on a diet (I have never dieted in my life, except for one bad mistake when I was 16, which was many many years ago and before I had matured into an adult, and it was a mistake that I recognized on my own). I have eaten at maintenance. I did end up losing a couple of pounds, so I increased my maintenance (and actually I am now back to my starting weight).

My frame size, waist, etc. Has nothing to do with dieting. It is just my genetic size. I was talking about body type, in the contest of the conversation. Although it probably would have been better if I had not responded to that person in the first place.

Stuff of this sort came up in this thread because people were discussing a very specific topic. I was responding to that and trying to show from where I am coming from because it seemed relevant to the conversation. It is not the kind of stuff I would normally bring into conversation.

I absolutely never intended it to be a badge of honor and do not feel that way at all. I am really sorry if it came across that way. I really mean that. And I regret being a part of this conversation if it had that effect. Also, I post my stats to say I am not underweight (my stats are not underweight).

This is a fitness site, in which people discuss height/weight/frame size frequently because those things all relate to whether or not a person is at a healthy weight and to calorie amounts. My calorie amounts are high, for my size. That is one of the reasons I mention it because it helps people to understand that I do not eat a low amount, but very well (that is important on a site like this).

This being a fitness site, we all have things we use to measure our progress or maintenance. I go by my measurements, not by weight or anything else.

I also mentioned that I am 5'2", 35 years old, a mother. Are those badges of honor? Do those things indicate a problem?

I'm sorry, but you really need to stop trying to diagnose me. You don't know me and you don't know anything about me. You are not my doctor. My doctor says I am healthy and not under weight and that I eat well and have all good blood work and no nutrient deficiencies (even a surplus on a lot of things).

But, I am very sorry if I said things in a way that was upsetting. This was an odd conversation and went in directions I had not intended and would not have chosen that direction. I have been most outspoken saying that I do not agree with the skinny gossip site. I think it is harmful and disturbing and it worries me about young girls and I would never join it or be a part of that.

I am 35 and I have two children and fitness is a big part of my life. I have just as much right as anyone to choose to be aware of my fitness (as I am getting older). My main focus is to keep and build my muscles while also maintaining my fitness. I eat in order to not lose weight (as I am active). I also track nutrients and protein intake. I wish I had known about this site during my pregnancies. During that time I did not track calories, but I did count my protein and I did all in a notebook.

I think you are not even reading what I am saying, but picking and choosing what to focus on.

Also, just to be clear, I am not upset with you and have no issue with you. The topic you bring up is not offensive, it's mildly irritating, but that's all. And I really am sorry if what I said was offensive.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness! I did not return to this thread after my comment and was shocked to see how many people went on the attack of Kate uptons body!! Obviously not everyone is going for the same look- if you want slimmer, more muscular, great that's fine. My point (which I thought was extremely clear) is that this 5'10" 150 lb woman who does NOT even come close to bordering on "overweight" as some claim, is obviously extremely attractive, and the vitriol spewed by this website calling her a fat cow is totally and completely absurd. I am genuinely shocked that woman on this website jumped on in critiquing such an obviously good looking woman. I think it would be great to look like a super sexy model. Clearly the point I was making is who wouldn't want to be considered that universally attractive? The same could be said about much thinner gorgeous woman- I'd love to look like mila kunis or another quite thin celebrity too! I am shocked by this hatred. In my experience, woman who feel the need to rip apart OBVIoUsLY good looking actresses and models must be deeply insecure. Strive for the body you want, of course, but seriously stop thinking a tall 150lb model with enormous boobs is overweight. And if for nothing else, do it out of sensitivity to women on this website striving to get from 200 lbs to 175 to feel happy. With people criticizing models, how should they feel?

Note- before you attack my personal goals would take me from about Kate uptons weight to about 15lbs less than her. But I would still never say she isn't objectively gorgeous.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I agree! Kate Upton is gorgeous! All different types of bodies are gorgeous and it makes no sense for anyone to compare or want to be like someone else when so much of it is based on genetics. Being fit will look different on all different women and is something a person can work on as much or as little as they want, all choices are fine in that as well. Would Kate Upton want to change or trade her body? Of course not!! And neither should any other women (because it's impossible). We can all just appreciate and love the body that we have (and do so without putting other women down). Being healthy and fit is an act of self-love as well (regardless of the outcome of the work, just doing the work is healthy). I agree that the article on that web site is disgusting. I'm sorry if anything I said came across wrong. I was talking about different body types, but I do not think that any one body type is better than another. I think they are different and all beautiful and not something that can be set as a goal. We can only be ourselves.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I agree! Kate Upton is gorgeous! All different types of bodies are gorgeous and it makes no sense for anyone to compare or want to be like someone else when so much of it is based on genetics. Being fit will look different on all different women and is something a person can work on as much or as little as they want, all choices are fine in that as well. Would Kate Upton want to change or trade her body? Of course not!! And neither should any other women (because it's impossible). We can all just appreciate and love the body that we have (and do so without putting other women down). Being healthy and fit is an act of self-love as well (regardless of the outcome of the work, just doing the work is healthy). I agree that the article on that web site is disgusting. I'm sorry if anything I said came across wrong. I was talking about different body types, but I do not think that any one body type is better than another. I think they are different and all beautiful and not something that can be set as a goal. We can only be ourselves.

No, I agree with you. I honestly wasn't even referring to your posts.