UK sayings vs USA sayings

Options

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Another saying from the deep south:

"*kitten* fire and save damn matches" - Basically means "I'm fvcked" LOL!
  • Zalovar
    Zalovar Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Seeing all these sayings reminded me of a couple.

"I'm out like a one-legged kid at hopscotch" means I'm leaving - hopscotch is a kids game that requires two legs.
    "That deal is like a sore pecker, you can't beat it" My grandad used to say this all the time and made me laugh my *kitten* off everytime he did.
  • usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    USA- that makes about as much sense as a two peckered billy goat.
  • this1bigdog
    this1bigdog Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    US :"I'd take a b0ng hit from her @ss"- She's hot
  • FettsLady
    FettsLady Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    When I went to England, everyone got a kick out of me saying Y'all - and guess what, 'y'all' can not be properly said with a British accent. Hilarious.
  • JenniferMary_9169
    Options
    love love love this thread :love: :love: :love:

thx for the laughs peeps :flowerforyou:
  • UnderCoverShyGirl
    UnderCoverShyGirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Well i can't think of any funny sayings said here (US) or in the UK, but i do think UK beats the US hands down. I remember how witty their slogans were when i visited....a pub named "the slug and lettuce" or an outhouse company with the sign "We're number one for number twos!" on their truck...hilarious!
  • iamspdd
    iamspdd Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    "I have to pee like a rushing race horse." Means I have to use the bathroom really bad. Up until a few years ago I thought the phrase was, "I have to pee like a Russian race horse." It makes a lot more sense now.
  • fisher201257
    fisher201257 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How about "as much use as a chocolate fireguard" & her/his face looks like "he/she's been licking piss off a nettle"

UK
  • mrsknotts
    mrsknotts Posts: 115
    Options
    One of my older co workers always said she was so busy she couldn't find her *kitten* with both hands....always made me laugh
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    We say "expecting" or "preggo" in the US for pregnancy... what's the norm in the UK?

We say that. Also "bun in the oven" and "up the duff". Mind you, I have no idea if that's British slang or not.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    How about "as much use as a chocolate fireguard" & her/his face looks like "he/she's been licking piss off a nettle"

UK

Or like a bulldog licking piss off a nettle. :D
  • cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    some canadian ones: Mostly Newfoundland terms

blown up like a habour tom cod - feeling bloated after eater - or gotten fat
    stay where you to till I comes where ya at - stay there, I will be right over
    don't blear your mudder - don't back talk your mother
    I dies at ya b'y - you're funny
    how she cuttin dere b'y - how are you?
    where she longs at? - where are you from?
  • Jenner9169
    Jenner9169 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Loving this - few more from the UK

Gert lush - Really great

Up there for thinking (point to head), down there for dancing (point to feet) - Means you had a really great idea.

Dear - means expensive
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    We say "expecting" or "preggo" in the US for pregnancy... what's the norm in the UK?

One could be said to be "up the duff"
    "Got a bun in the oven"
    "Eating for 2"
    "In the club"
    "In the family way"
    "Pregnant"
    There are all sorts of ways to describe pregnancy in england!

As to phrases in general- regarding personal appearance; dragged through a hedge backwards, back end of a bus, mutton dresed as lamb, done up to the nines, done up like a dog's dinner.
    Also, when we fall or trip over, we are likely to go "*kitten* over tit"
  • tipadoo
    tipadoo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My husband's favorites. He is a red neck Albertan (Canadian)

"slick as a slobber" - it went well
    "tigher than a bulls *kitten* at fly time" - cheap
    "useless as tits on a boar" - self explanatory
    "son of a jumping moose" - instead of swearing
    "judas priest" - again instead of swearing
  • Aello11
    Aello11 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    6 of one, half dozen of another --- doesn't really matter
    where you born in a barn --- shut the d@mn door
    couldn't find his *kitten* with both hands and a flashlight --- person is dumb
    don't eat the yellow snow --- :)))
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    People who are dim can be not all there or a few sandwiches short of a picnic. They may be loopy, or nutty as a fruitcake. Or a combination; a fruit loop. The lights may be on but there's no one home. They might be a nit-wit, numbskull, or a bird brain.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    This will burn you guys, but in the UK we really can't tell the difference between an American and a Canadian accent....

I guess it probably depends on where someone is from. There is variation of the accents within Canada and within the states that is much more noticeable than just Canada vs. U.S. Obviously people from the predominantly French speaking areas usually have a strong French accent because English is their second language. Some other parts of Canada have a stronger accent (that is even more noticeable than being from the U.K.). I live in Canada. And in the U.S. There are some areas that have strong accents: The South, Boston, New York, Minnesota are just some examples. I don't have a Boston accent anymore (that's where I grew up), but when I did everywhere I went people knew I was from Boston the moment I spoke. Boston also has some unusual words. For example we call a drinking fountain a Bubbler (although pronounce it Bubbla).

Yep, I've got the Boston accent. Plus only New Englanders use the word "wicked" the way we do
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Don't let your alligator mouth overrun your canary *kitten*