The conspiracy to make (and keep us) fat...

Options

Replies

• Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing. There is a conspiracy between the government and food corporations to keep us buying food. The same way there is a conspiracy between the government and drug companies to keep us going to the doctor when we need treatment for illness. The same way there is a conspiracy between the government and oil companies to keep us buying fuel. The same way there is a conspiracy between the government and banks to keep us banking. The same way there is a conspiracy between the government and car companies to keep us buying cars. The same way.... Do you see where this is going?

This isn't a conspiracy. This is no more than the wheels of commerce turning. We want something. Someone provides it. We buy, and consume. Rinse and repeat. There are different levels of efficiency, and better or worse economic systems and marketplace models, but at the heart of it all is just supply and demand. As long as someone wants to buy something, someone will sell it because money provides necessity and comfort. It's been this way since the first caveman traded half a dead animal for a wheel, or a skin, or whatever. No conspiracy necessary.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Talking about these things has nothing to do with absolving personal responsibility for food choices. It's about making an informed choice, and I do think it's important to know how our responses to salty, sweet, fat and high calorie food (and how the industry exploits them) can affect our decisions.

ETA: Is it that food companies create food that exploits our biological responses to high calorie food, or that they make those foods because we want to buy them? Like most things, I believe the truth is somewhere in the middle. It's a two way street, both parties are responsible.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing. There is a conspiracy between the government and food corporations to keep us buying food. The same way there is a conspiracy between the government and drug companies to keep us going to the doctor when we need treatment for illness. The same way there is a conspiracy between the government and oil companies to keep us buying fuel. The same way there is a conspiracy between the government and banks to keep us banking. The same way there is a conspiracy between the government and car companies to keep us buying cars. The same way.... Do you see where this is going?

This isn't a conspiracy. This is no more than the wheels of commerce turning. We want something. Someone provides it. We buy, and consume. Rinse and repeat. There are different levels of efficiency, and better or worse economic systems and marketplace models, but at the heart of it all is just supply and demand. As long as someone wants to buy something, someone will sell it because money provides necessity and comfort. It's been this way since the first caveman traded half a dead animal for a wheel, or a skin, or whatever. No conspiracy necessary.

right, that's the kicker. aside from this particular poster, very rarely is the word conspiracy even thrown around by folks on my side of the table that see the obvious conflict of interest. the WORD conspiracy comes from those who start offering us tin hats. I don't think it's a conspiracy, I think it's a bi-product of capitalism and a business-driven economy. The government, big pharma, monsanto, etc, they're all companies that run on profits, and each is dependent on the others' success for their success. that's why it may seem like a "conspiracy", but in reality, it's just good business at the expense of the consumer.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Talking about these things has nothing to do with absolving personal responsibility for food choices. It's about making an informed choice, and I do think it's important to know how our responses to salty, sweet, fat and high calorie food (and how the industry exploits them) can affect our decisions.

"personal responsibility" - while i believe in it - was the best/worst phrase the GOP ever put out into the masses, because it literally turns consumer against consumer and creates an environment where we don't question government and/or corporation practices because the "onus in on US" to decide for ourselves and take responsibility for our own choices.

I think a middle ground would be nice.
  • CarribeanBlueGirl
    CarribeanBlueGirl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I watched FORKS OVER KNIVES too. It even inspired my teenage sons (both successful athletes) to change their eating habits. It's a must see for everyone interested in their health on the inside!
    http://www.hulu.com/watch/279734
  • Admiral_Derp
    Options

right, that's the kicker. aside from this particular poster, very rarely is the word conspiracy even thrown around by folks on my side of the table that see the obvious conflict of interest. the WORD conspiracy comes from those who start offering us tin hats. I don't think it's a conspiracy, I think it's a bi-product of capitalism and a business-driven economy. The government, big pharma, monsanto, etc, they're all companies that run on profits, and each is dependent on the others' success for their success. that's why it may seem like a "conspiracy", but in reality, it's just good business at the expense of the consumer.

Here's the thing coach, you're leaving the biggest variable out of the equation. Both the government, and the corporation depend on one thing for their success more than they do on each other....the consumer. We decide who governs us, and we decide what we buy. They are working together to give us what we vote for, and want to purchase, and they also work together to line their pockets with as much money as possible. Because getting paid provides necessity and comfort. We're all part of the food chain. Food corporations do everything they can to make their food taste better so that people will keep buying it. That's their primary purpose. If I see it, I want it, and I think it tastes good, I will buy it. I'm glad they do what they do because it provides something I want. If you don't want it, that's fine, but quit demonizing those who do. It's entirely possible to live long, healthy, happy lives consuming this stuff, but it's the responsibility of the person buying it to use it well. This isn't exploitation...it's business.
  • Admiral_Derp
    Options
    I was just playing GTA IV and had to pause it to share a sudden revelation. Video game makers are profiting at the expense of their customers by deviously trying to make their games as fun as possible so people will keep buying them. WHERE'S MY PITCHFORK AND TORCH!
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    If companies only provide people with things they already want... then what is the point of advertising?

Ultimately it is the consumer's choice, but companies go to great lengths (and spend billions of dollars) to influence our decisions in their favor. Advertising, lobbying to make laws that keep consumers from being able to make informed choices, utilizing ways to circumvent our reasoning (larger sizes at cheaper prices, "bliss" responses).

There is a level of exploitation there. These things are for the benefit of the company at the consumer's expense.
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I haven't gotten through all the replies so far, buuut...

I am glad that there is affordable, delicious food. Do I just eat doughnuts and Cheetoes and boxed macaroni and cheese? Nope, not at all. But I do have it in moderation because I like it and I have self-control. I'm not going to go the rest of my life without ever having a McChicken again because I don't WANT to (unless they stop making them, which would be a sad, sad day.) I enjoy cheap food that tastes good and I am capable of enjoying a reasonable amount of it.

I doubt that if most people were given the opporotunity to be head of a company that makes potato chips or given the top position at McDonald's that they would turn it down because there is a LOT of money in it. They are supplying what lots of people want. It's not a conspiracy.

This all reminds me of the opening of Thank You for Smoking where the main character who works for big tobacco says something along the lines of, "Why would we want this person to die? It is in our best interests to keep him alive and smoking." The companies aren't trying to give people health problems, make them sick, and kill them because they would lose money. That's not their goal. They want people who spend money at their businesses to keep coming back. People get obese and suffer health consequences due to the fact that THEY choose to overeat and/or not get enough exercise.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Here's the thing coach, you're leaving the biggest variable out of the equation. Both the government, and the corporation depend on one thing for their success more than they do on each other....the consumer. We decide who governs us, and we decide what we buy. They are working together to give us what we vote for, and want to purchase, and they also work together to line their pockets with as much money as possible. Because getting paid provides necessity and comfort. We're all part of the food chain. Food corporations do everything they can to make their food taste better so that people will keep buying it. That's their primary purpose. If I see it, I want it, and I think it tastes good, I will buy it. I'm glad they do what they do because it provides something I want. If you don't want it, that's fine, but quit demonizing those who do. It's entirely possible to live long, healthy, happy lives consuming this stuff, but it's the responsibility of the person buying it to use it well. This isn't exploitation...it's business.

we decide what we buy, but we rely on the government to tell us what is and isn't good for us! that's where the issue lies. unfortunately, while humanity is brilliant on an individual scale, en masse we're complete idiots. the majority of people in America probably still believe the food pyramid to be accurate and healthful. additionally, most nutritional studies are government-funded OR privately funded by companies who may or may not stand to gain from the information revealed in said study.

to ignore the conflict of interest is asinine.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    I was just playing GTA IV and had to pause it to share a sudden revelation. Video game makers are profiting at the expense of their customers by deviously trying to make their games as fun as possible so people will keep buying them. WHERE'S MY PITCHFORK AND TORCH!

yeah not at all the same thing.
  • carriefiranski
    Options
    Awesome to note! Thanks for your input. It's great to get different views on diet and food choices.
  • Admiral_Derp
    Options

we decide what we buy, but we rely on the government to tell us what is and isn't good for us! that's where the issue lies. unfortunately, while humanity is brilliant on an individual scale, en masse we're complete idiots. the majority of people in America probably still believe the food pyramid to be accurate and healthful. additionally, most nutritional studies are government-funded OR privately funded by companies who may or may not stand to gain from the information revealed in said study.

If we blindly rely on the government or anyone else to tell us what is and isn't good for us, then whatever happens to us isn't their fault. It's ours. We live in a world where a collected wealth of information is available on our phones. We don't even have to go find a computer to look things up. I rely on my eyes, and my brain to tell me what is and isn't good for me. People who live under weak and ineffectual governments, or no government at all don't have the convenience of a government to blame for their ills. Do you know why? Because they are the arbiters of their own survival and well being. (Discounting of course, oppressive regimes, and a lack of resources.) They are forced to figure out what is good, and what isn't by trial and error. For those of us fortunate enough to live in a sea of information, there is no excuse. There is no conflict of interest. They decide what to make and we decide whether or not to buy it. There's no feigned nobility in what they do. Their job is to figure out the best way to make money. It's not always done honestly. Our job is to spend money. It's not always done wisely but whose fault is that?
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

How is it not the same thing?

Think about this:

I saw a post the other day about jails being money-making corporations. Jails need inmates right? How do you get inmates? You need people to commit crimes. The more serious the crime, the better. Serious crimes are usually violent or drug related. Don't video games promote those things? Specifically GTA? Aren't there groups of people that testify to video games creating a violent culture? I believe that there have been numerous Congressional hearings on this topic. So, video games are violent which creates more violent people which creates business for jail security corporations. Government conspiracy.

Also this: http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2013/01/government-pushes-propaganda-through-video-games.html

The government makes video games to promote wars and get increased participation in the military. Conspiracy.
  • Admiral_Derp
    Options

And yes, it is the same thing. People in business have essentially one goal...profit. Otherwise they'd be a non-profit organization. The way you make profit is through market research, and innovation. Food companies are doing the same thing that every other company does.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

If we blindly rely on the government or anyone else to tell us what is and isn't good for us, then whatever happens to us isn't their fault. It's ours. We live in a world where a collected wealth of information is available on our phones. We don't even have to go find a computer to look things up. I rely on my eyes, and my brain to tell me what is and isn't good for me. People who live under weak and ineffectual governments, or no government at all don't have the convenience of a government to blame for their ills. Do you know why? Because they are the arbiters of their own survival and well being. (Discounting of course, oppressive regimes, and a lack of resources.) They are forced to figure out what is good, and what isn't by trial and error. For those of us fortunate enough to live in a sea of information, there is no excuse. There is no conflict of interest. They decide what to make and we decide whether or not to buy it. There's no feigned nobility in what they do. Their job is to figure out the best way to make money. It's not always done honestly. Our job is to spend money. It's not always done wisely but whose fault is that?

where does this collected wealth of health information come from? studies done by researchers who are most likely funded by the government and companies that stand to benefit. it's all interconnected, that's all I'm saying.

you're acting as if I've said we shouldn't be held personally responsible. of course we should. but does that mean we should also let big business run unchecked? of course we shouldn't. that's what got us into this economic mess in the first place!

middle. ground.

is that so hard to comprehend?
  • staplebug
    staplebug Posts: 189
    Options
    It's all about money. This is why I try to eat foods where you can identify their origin. Poptarts don't have a mother or grow in the ground...and they have a list of ingredients longer and more unreadable than I am comfortable.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

How is it not the same thing?

Think about this:

I saw a post the other day about jails being money-making corporations. Jails need inmates right? How do you get inmates? You need people to commit crimes. The more serious the crime, the better. Serious crimes are usually violent or drug related. Don't video games promote those things? Specifically GTA? Aren't there groups of people that testify to video games creating a violent culture? I believe that there have been numerous Congressional hearings on this topic. So, video games are violent which creates more violent people which creates business for jail security corporations. Government conspiracy.

Also this: http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2013/01/government-pushes-propaganda-through-video-games.html

The government makes video games to promote wars and get increased participation in the military. Conspiracy.

well i don't think violent video games promote crime... so... whoops.

(parents are responsible. you know, remember that whole 'personal responsibility mantra y'all have?)
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    boy-that-escalated-quickly_zps60925671.jpg
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    we decide what we buy, but we rely on the government to tell us what is and isn't good for us!

Speak for yourself. The government has a vested interest in making me dependent on them. Why would I believe anything they say about what is and isn't good for me? I'm a well-educated person, and the Internet makes it possible for me to do my own research. I'll decide what is and isn't good for me.

The truth is that having "bad" food in moderation is not going to kill you. It's not even going to make you less healthy, assuming you have a reasonably active and reasonably low-stress lifestyle. Eating that crap (and ONLY that crap) every day is what is going to endanger your health and shorten your life. And that is entirely your decision and your fault. So it's not that processed food needs to disappear. It's that people need to take their heads out of their elected officials' *kitten* and start thinking for themselves.