The conspiracy to make (and keep us) fat...

Options

Replies

• nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    The OP is wrong. There's no conspiracy to make us fat. There's a concerted effort on the part of companies to create foods people want to buy. They don't really care whether or not we get fat eating it.

I think this is equivocating. The conspiracy described by the OP is between food companies and evolution. So I don't think it is fair to assume she is talking about the 'secret plan' type of conspiracy. I think she is clearly talking the 'confluence of factors' type of conspiracy. Which is a valid usage of that word.

She is saying their goal is to make us fat, which is ridiculous. Their goal is to sell us food.

I did not read this whole thread but she did not say that in the OP.

"The conspiracy to make (and keep us) fat.."

And I already explained the meaning of this.

The way we evolved to survive and the way food manufacturers design food in order to maximize sales conspire to make (and keep us) fat.. That is true.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

The way we evolved to survive and the way food manufacturers design food in order to maximize sales conspire to make (and keep us) fat.. That is true.

But...why? Why do they want to make us fat?
  • Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Love this!
  • nokanjaijo
    Options

But...why? Why do they want to make us fat?

They don't.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    The OP is wrong. There's no conspiracy to make us fat. There's a concerted effort on the part of companies to create foods people want to buy. They don't really care whether or not we get fat eating it.

I think this is equivocating. The conspiracy described by the OP is between food companies and evolution. So I don't think it is fair to assume she is talking about the 'secret plan' type of conspiracy. I think she is clearly talking the 'confluence of factors' type of conspiracy. Which is a valid usage of that word.

She is saying their goal is to make us fat, which is ridiculous. Their goal is to sell us food.

You need to talk to alot more ppl on here because there are some stellar bods and ppl I have talked to that can consume more than per serving rec intake on these foods and are absol healthy as ever and fit. I know I can eat what I want when I want and as much as I want but not now because I am so fat from not counter balancing the intake of food with exercise. STOP blaming others for lack of self control and laziness of indidviduals. YOU do not have to eat the manufactureres foods you choose to!
  • Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    It's funny because I watched forks over knives with my fiance and it really really changed our perception of everything. I've been 100% vegan and 90% raw for soon to be two years, my hypothyroidism went away proven by blood work, my acne cleared up, my hair grew faster, and I slept much better and wasn't so drained all the time after I changed my diet around. I think meat and dairy is one big conspiracy and I say this because we're not told about the high amounts of proteins we can get from beans which are also very high in fiber, we are not told about the high amounts of proteins we can get from greens such as spinach and broccoli, and yet we are constantly told that we need to eat dairy and meat to survive. I have been a full on vegetarian for almost 3 years and a vegan for soon to be 2 years and in the past and I have not gotten sick once, I'm 18...three years ago in high school I missed 26 days out of a 180 day school year because I was so sick and exhausted all the time. I am living proof of how we are brain washed to think everything backwards and how I changed my life around once I realized this.
    Vegans often attribute cutting meat/dairy to any beneficial changes in their life while ignoring the fact that many also cut refined/processed carbs and sugars.

If you notice, BOTH raw vegan and paleo dieters state incredibly positive changes to adopting the diets they have... and the ONLY thing in common is the elimination of refined/processed carbohydrates and often the introduction of more fresh/whole foods.

This indicates meat/dairy isn't the problem, but the refined/processed carbohydrate and lack of fresh/whole foods in people's diet.

I sure do love meat :) so thank u!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Yeah, that's nice.

However, the OP claimed that there's a conspiracy to make and keep us fat.

This is false, and silly.
  • globetrotter42
    Options
    My grocery store has pyramids of chocolate, pies, cookies and other assorted temptations confronting you as you walk in. One has to be very strong to resist the urge to buy them. Yes, the managers of the supermarket know this. I resist now. Judging by the high rate of obesity in the USA most cannot resist the siren call of sweets and salt and the food manufacturers just rake it in.

Cigarettes have been proven to be highly addictive. In some countries they are now going to have them covered in brown paper and I think NY is going to have them put out of plain sight. So, cigarettes thus will not be a temptation for many any longer, but FATTENING FOOD, is still out there displayed so as to tempt us and continuing to make many falter in their resolve.

I think the markets should put some apples up front and have bigger vegetarian sections, but that will never happen so onwards with the bottles upon bottles of high fructose "pop" hahaha.
  • nokanjaijo
    Options
    You need to talk to alot more ppl on here because there are some stellar bods and ppl I have talked to that can consume more than per serving rec intake on these foods and are absol healthy as ever and fit. I know I can eat what I want when I want and as much as I want but not now because I am so fat from not counter balancing the intake of food with exercise. STOP blaming others for lack of self control and laziness of indidviduals. YOU do not have to eat the manufactureres foods you choose to!

Nothing here disagrees with anything I have said.

Food manufacturers spend billions of dollars figuring out how to get you to eat waaaaay more food than you would otherwise. Because that makes them more money.

There are going to be loads of people who don't respond to the bliss point. There are also going to be people who have a lot self control and never fall victim to it. There are people who can smoke a cigarette every once in a while and then not think about. It is still a good idea to remind people of how addictive nicotine is.

If you are struggling to lose weight, it can only help to understand the bliss point and supernormal stimuli and how you are up against some very powerfully motivating forces when you buy a bag of potato chips. You will have an easier time losing weight if you avoid the sorts of foods that are designed to manipulate you.

That is all.
  • Its_All_Gongfu
    Its_All_Gongfu Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It's funny because I watched forks over knives with my fiance and it really really changed our perception of everything. I've been 100% vegan and 90% raw for soon to be two years, my hypothyroidism went away proven by blood work, my acne cleared up, my hair grew faster, and I slept much better and wasn't so drained all the time after I changed my diet around. I think meat and dairy is one big conspiracy and I say this because we're not told about the high amounts of proteins we can get from beans which are also very high in fiber, we are not told about the high amounts of proteins we can get from greens such as spinach and broccoli, and yet we are constantly told that we need to eat dairy and meat to survive. I have been a full on vegetarian for almost 3 years and a vegan for soon to be 2 years and in the past and I have not gotten sick once, I'm 18...three years ago in high school I missed 26 days out of a 180 day school year because I was so sick and exhausted all the time. I am living proof of how we are brain washed to think everything backwards and how I changed my life around once I realized this.
    Vegans often attribute cutting meat/dairy to any beneficial changes in their life while ignoring the fact that many also cut refined/processed carbs and sugars.

If you notice, BOTH raw vegan and paleo dieters state incredibly positive changes to adopting the diets they have... and the ONLY thing in common is the elimination of refined/processed carbohydrates and often the introduction of more fresh/whole foods.

This indicates meat/dairy isn't the problem, but the refined/processed carbohydrate and lack of fresh/whole foods in people's diet.

:wink: NON-Vegans (especially heavy meat-eaters and dairy consumers) often get insecure and defensive whenever a vegetarian or vegan suggests that much of the food they eat is basically hormone-laden, steroid and antibiotic filled garbage. :bigsmile:
  • nokanjaijo
    Options
    Yeah, that's nice.

I don't think it is fair to assume she is talking about the 'secret plan' type of conspiracy. I think she is clearly talking the 'confluence of factors' type of conspiracy. Which is a valid usage of that word.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Yeah, that's nice.

I don't think it is fair to assume she is talking about the 'secret plan' type of conspiracy. I think she is clearly talking the 'confluence of factors' type of conspiracy. Which is a valid usage of that word.

She implies there's a concerted effort to make us fat. The companies are not trying to make us fat. Full stop. The headline is wrong.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options

Nothing here disagrees with anything I have said.

Food manufacturers spend billions of dollars figuring out how to get you to eat waaaaay more food than you would otherwise. Because that makes them more money.

There are going to be loads of people who don't respond to the bliss point. There are also going to be people who have a lot self control and never fall victim to it. There are people who can smoke a cigarette every once in a while and then not think about. It is still a good idea to remind people of how addictive nicotine is.

If you are struggling to lose weight, it can only help to understand the bliss point and supernormal stimuli and how you are up against some very powerfully motivating forces when you buy a bag of potato chips. You will have an easier time losing weight if you avoid the sorts of foods that are designed to manipulate you.

That is all.

.................If you are struggling to lose weight, it can only help to understand the bliss point and supernormal stimuli and how you are up against some very powerfully motivating forces when you buy a bag of potato chips. You will have an easier time losing weight if you avoid the sorts of foods that are designed to manipulate you.

Wouldnt it better serve an unknowing individual to instead teach them that the above mentioned has nothing to do with them if they had self control and were to abide by the clear labels on the packaging? Here let me shed a little more light on it.....everyone knows drugs are bad but you never hear arguments like this over them. They are abundant in my world and very very much a craving and satiating exp for me. BUt when I took responsibility for my own life I stopped using them. Do I want to use..hell yes....will I? I dont know...depends if I lose self control. If a dealer comes over and wants to give free rides in order to TRY and HOOK me again there is always the possibility I may get weak and do it. So yes avoiding these situations is key but not realistic. Self control is the only way to truly do this.
  • nokanjaijo
    Options
    Yeah, that's nice.

She implies there's a concerted effort to make us fat. The companies are not trying to make us fat. Full stop. The headline is wrong.

No. You inferred that there is a concerted effort to make us fat. Since that idea isn't in the OP itself, that probably isn't what she was trying to say.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Many of us have heard of the "Bliss factor". I believe it. In fact, I eat foods that are delicious and make me feel great due to high sugar and fat content. However, I take responsibility for the things I eat, and don't go hog wild and blame it on the industry. It's hard to fight it when there are high calorie foods everywhere that you just want to keep eating. But in the end, it's up to the person whether or not they'll do what the industries want.

^ This.

You can look at this two ways, IMO.

1. It's a conspiracy and "food corporations" are in cahoots with the pharmaceutical companies, insurance companies and hospitals to get us sick and wring money from us.

or

2. We, as consumers, demand cheap, tasty, fattening food and the market is willing to provide it for us.

I think option #2 is much more likely.

you'd be wrong...#1 is the right answer. I know, because I work for a pharmaceuticals company. Nothing they love than sick people living longer....and the younger they get sick, so very much the better.

they want us to all live a long time with at least one chronic malady that requires pharmaceutical treatment to control. 'tis the way of capitalism.

It has *nothing* to do with capitalism. It's the regulations imposed by the progressives that gave us the mega-corporations where smaller businesses are unable to compete in an open market. These mega-corporations are chosen by government to be "the anointed ones" and protected through the regulatory process (check the board of the FDA, for starters). It is the use of force that created the current U.S. food & drug market, not freedom or capitalism.

Quite true, Wendy. The coercive Nanny State is a product of "neo-liberalism" which is anything but new and certainly not liberal in the original meaning of the word, as favoring the common man. I give you the original meaning of the term "liberal": "Liberals espouse a wide array of views depending on their understanding of these principles, but generally they support ideas such as free and fair elections, civil rights, freedom of the press, freedom of religion, free trade, and private property."

Our current brand of "neo-liberalism" is ill-disguised fascism. Here is Mussolini's favorite definition of fascism: "Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power."
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Yeah, that's nice.

No. You inferred that there is a concerted effort to make us fat. Since that idea isn't in the OP itself, that probably isn't what she was trying to say.

It's literally what she did say. She literally said that there's a conspiracy to make us fat.

Your argument is ridiculous and invalid.
  • nokanjaijo
    Options
    Wouldnt it better serve an unknowing individual to instead teach them that the above mentioned has nothing to do with them if they had self control and were to abide by the clear labels on the packaging? Here let me shed a little more light on it.....everyone knows drugs are bad but you never hear arguments like this over them. They are abundant in my world and very very much a craving and satiating exp for me. BUt when I took responsibility for my own life I stopped using them. Do I want to use..hell yes....will I? I dont know...depends if I lose self control. If a dealer comes over and wants to give free rides in order to TRY and HOOK me again there is always the possibility I may get weak and do it. So yes avoiding these situations is key but not realistic. Self control is the only way to truly do this.

I know addicts. They avoid situations where drugs are present and consider that a key factor in their continued sobriety. They also take full responsibility when they use. You can, and should, do both. We can, and should, talk about all aspects of the obesity epidemic.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Just another opportunity to not take personal responsibility for what YOU shove into YOUR piehole. Nobody is forcing you to eat these foods. It's a choice.
  • nokanjaijo
    Options
    It's literally what she did say. She literally said that there's a conspiracy to make us fat.

Your argument is ridiculous and invalid.

This is just an infinite loop at this point.

I have to break out of it.
  • Zerashen
    Zerashen Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    It's a mix of the two. Yes, they want to to make the food as delicious as possible and have people buy more and more, and keep coming back to buy more. However we are responsible for our eating habits.

It's a double edged sword. People will argue both sides of the issue. You can't blame it all on the corporations, and yet it's okay to indulge occasionally too. We get fat for eating too much food that is bad for us. Overly strict, self imposed "willpower" can backfire and causes binges with some people.

My advice is to occasionally indulge, but don't go crazy.