Avocado... What to do with it?

Options

Replies

• cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    my favorite salad dressing is made of 1/2 avocado, juice and zest of 2 lemons, 1/4 tsp sea salt and one roasted garlic clove. puree and pour over your salad :drinker: This also makes a great pasta sauce ! :happy:
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Make some guacamole! My kids will tear it up when I make homemade guac!!

My recipe:

avocados
    FRESH (deli type) salsa
    lime juice
    salt to taste

Simple but DELISH. I never have left overs. People rave over it. I watched the people at a local mexican restaurant make it our table over and over again and started doing it at home :)

Also top tacos or a taco salad w/ some slices!!
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    I make a sauce with it called Avo-ziki sauce. It's like a Greek Tatziki sauce. Great for salads or a dip. Yummy!
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I picked a few up from the market and now don't know what to do with it.

trash! yuck.

Um...no, that's a sin...just saying. GOOD stuff!!
  • swarla
    swarla Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I love avocado in salads, guacamole, or on its own. I also like to mash it up, squirt some lime juice in it and use as a spread for my sandwiches.
  • centarix
    centarix Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Google Avocado Shake. Best shake you will ever have, trust me!
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Mash it up and rub it onto your hair and body

Great oils for skin and hair
  • rachel4304
    rachel4304 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I eat an Avocado almost everyday.

I either eat it plain with a little bit of salt, make guac or I add it to the top of a BLT wrap! YUM!
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    AVOCADO SALSA CHICKEN (serves 2)

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
    1 1/2 tsp cumin
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 tsp coriander
    1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
    1/2 cup fresh hot salsa
    1/2 cup avocado, cubed (about 1/2 of an avocado)
    1/3 cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped (optional - can sub in parsely if you don't like cilantro)
    juice of 1 fresh lime
    salt & pepper to taste

Heat oil over medium-high heat in a skillet until hot. Combine cumin, garlic powder and coriander. Rinse chicken & pat it dry. Sprinkle spice mixture generously on both sides of chicken. Place chicken in hot skillet and sear on one side for 5 minutes. Flip chicken, add salsa to the pan, reduce heat and cook covered for 15 minutes. Make sure that chicken is done cooking and remove from pan to individual dishes, leaving salsa in the pan. Add avocado, cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper and saute until avocado is heated through. Top chicken breasts with salsa and serve immediately.
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    GREEN SAUCE!! Native Houstonians will know what I am talking about!

http://www.chron.com/life/food/article/Green-sauce-1842871.php
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I eat avocados everyday, really!
    I'm soo in love with them, I add them to almost everything.... sandwiches, dips, salads, toast. Usually I make mine very simple, mash up with lime juice & sea salt. Other times when I have more time I add cilantro, garlic pepper, tomatoes, jalapenos.

Most of all when I make shrimp ceviche!!!! YUM!
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I like avocado/grapefruit and avocado/tomato salads. Avocado/corn/black beans is also a great combination.
  • WannaDizzolve
    WannaDizzolve Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    lime juice. sea salt. and put chicken salad in them. or chopped on top of quinoa or couscous.
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    yes, replace your mayo with avocado ...great in tuna!!!

^^YES DELISH!!

Or add it to chopped hard boiled eggs for egg salad without the mayo, very good too!
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Anything that mayo does, and avacado can do:)

^^^ Totally!!!!
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I mash it with a ton of lime juice,cilantro, cayenne pepper, a little garlic and black pepper. Then I dip black bean chips into it or put it on an omelet, Sometime I put some chunky salsa in it. YUM!
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Make into guac and use it as either a dip for veggies or a spread for a sandwich. You can also mix it in with srambled eggs yum yum.
  • Wolfe1759
    Wolfe1759 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    We love avocados on toast with a poached egg and drizzled with olive oil - YUM!

Or on its own, with a salad, or as guacamole. Now I'm all hungry for avocados...!
  • LoriLou67
    LoriLou67 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Send them to me and I will eat them :) Sorry to be a smarty pants. You have received some wonderful ideas here though!
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I LOVE avocados. Raw, in spinach salad. I had avocado egg salad for lunch yesterday. I also use it to make pasta sauce. And Avocado, spinach and mozzarella grilled cheeses are so yummy!!

krislyn I am interested to hear how you use avocados in pasta sauce. Please tell!