What's your favorite vegetable and how do you cook it?

Options

Replies

• kelbwjax
    kelbwjax Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Carrots with olive oil, a dash of salt, pepper, and onion powder. Bake in oven until tender.
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Mine is kale, and I saute it in olive oil with garlic and onion.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Brussels Sprouts. I like them roasted in a bit of olive oil.

170 grams Brussels (2 servings)...coat with 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil in a roasting dish. Roast in 400* oven for 30-35 minutes. Then enjoy the awesomeness.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Roasted brussels sprouts a la Ina Garten.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/roasted-brussels-sprouts-recipe2/index.html

I cut the sprouts in half and use about a third of the salt she calls for.

I make these at least once a week. They've converted quite a few friends and family members who were convinced they hated brussels sprouts :0)
  • treenuh_x
    treenuh_x Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Broccoli! I make it one of two ways.

I either steam it and saute it in olive oil with a little bit of garlic, salt, and pepper, or I make a spicy cheese sauce to put over steamed broccoli.
  • amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I love butternut squash. I will roast it first, then peel the skin off and cut it up and put it in the dutch oven with some fresh ginger, onion, and jalepenos minced in butter, then add chicken broth and cream, let it simmer, before I transport it to the blender. Then, when I'm done doing that, I will top the soup with thyme and croutons.
  • Bane81
    Bane81 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I like Asparagus the most, I'll just grill it on the BBQ or Foreman if it's winter. Brush a bit of olive oil, cracked black pepper and salt on it. Simple and great.
  • dmprice17
    dmprice17 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    bump love the brussel sprout ideas
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Brussels Sprouts... cooked anyway. My favorite is a recipe I just found that uses shredded Brussels sprouts with pancetta and walnuts and has a cider vinegar\brown sugar mixture poured on top. Delicious!!
  • jaimrlx
    jaimrlx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    -Broccoli, steamed with a little lemon juice and garlic.
    -Green beans, steamed with a little olive oil and garlic.. garlic salt for a treat :love:
    -Carrots, cold or in soups/stews.
    -Onions ON EVERYTHING.
    -Green peppers, sliced/diced in food or stuffed and roasted!
    -Poblano peppers, stuffed and baked - fried with egg batter and cheese on a cheat day.
    -Spinach, used in salad or wilted into my favorite dishes.
    -Asparagus, grilled with some olive oil.

.. I think that pretty much covers it!
  • FussyFruitbat
    FussyFruitbat Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Spinach and carrots, and I eat them raw. I like the crunch!
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Carrots:

peel them, chop them, steam them for 10-15 minutes (determine the cooking time by trying to stick a fork in them after 10 minutes to see if they're done). I usually add some frozen peas 5 minutes before done steaming.
    Then add a tiny bit of butter and sugar to bring out the flavour.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Heirloom tomato cut thick cheese sprinkled on top with some garlic and broiled till cheese starts to brown. Eat with a knife and fork. Drool.:love:
  • Nicole65
    Nicole65 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Mine is kale, and I saute it in olive oil with garlic and onion.

Have you tried making kale chips? I've heard really good things about them but haven't tried them yet.
  • nomorebamboozles
    nomorebamboozles Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Anything in frozen bags is easy enough for me. I usually buy frozen broccoli, carrots, or mixed vegetables and then heat it up in the microwave and either bake it with some soy sauce or toss it in some olive oil and stir fry with chicken or with other vegetables. I don't always have access to a car so shopping is sometimes difficult... so frozen vegetables are my lifesaver.
  • Nicole65
    Nicole65 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    -Broccoli, steamed with a little lemon juice and garlic.
    -Green beans, steamed with a little olive oil and garlic.. garlic salt for a treat :love:
    -Carrots, cold or in soups/stews.
    -Onions ON EVERYTHING.
    -Green peppers, sliced/diced in food or stuffed and roasted!
    -Poblano peppers, stuffed and baked - fried with egg batter and cheese on a cheat day.
    -Spinach, used in salad or wilted into my favorite dishes.
    -Asparagus, grilled with some olive oil.

.. I think that pretty much covers it!

When you say fried with egg batter for the peppers, what do you mean by that, breading them?
  • wadair
    wadair Posts: 31
    Options
    Brussel Sprouts. Sauteed in olive oil, with a slice of bacon crumbled on top and a bit of sea salt. YUM!!
  • TheDarlingOne
    TheDarlingOne Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    i found taking mashed potatoes - and mashing into them steamed cauliflour(howeveryouspellit) is pretty dang good! lol
  • Mom4Liz
    Mom4Liz Posts: 55
    Options
    I love asparagus. Grilled, blanched or sautéed or any way I can get them. Celeriac is my favorite in place of mashed potatoes mashed vegetable. The roasted carrots sounded good. Try it with a little cumin and orange juice next time...divine. Green beans are fantastic. Little zucchinis or eggplants can be hollowed out and stuffed with the fillings of your choice. There is no end. Vegetables never have to be boring.

Eta- I almost forgot roasted red peppers. They taste amazing on sandwiches, in omelettes in anything.
  • Brads2ndLife
    Options
    I'll have to try these roasted brussell sprouts with the crunchy outside. Last time I had them mother boiled them to a soggy mass.

Asparagus, Mushrooms, Onions and Tomatoes are my faves.

I quite like zucchini, onion and tomato fried up as a side dish.

But Kale is my fave since I recently started watching my diet. Not because I like the taste or texture, because it's so benign when added to a stir fry or even a fruit smoothie, but feels like I am adding the equivalent of a great multivitamin capsule to the dish for each cup I use.