What's your favorite vegetable and how do you cook it?

Options

Replies

• rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Zuchinni- you can make a ton of things with zuchinni!
    My favorite way to cook them is to cut up half an onion, sautee in a TBS butter with 1/2 TBS minced garlic, peel and slice 4 medium zuchini and toss in with the onion/butter/garlic, sprinkle with pepper, sautee until slightly soft, don't overcook or they get mushy.
  • KLC2784
    KLC2784 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Spinach! I have some every day... either sin my egg white omelette, in a salad, or blended up in a smoothie... love it!
  • Songbirdcw
    Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Brussels Sprouts... cooked anyway. My favorite is a recipe I just found that uses shredded Brussels sprouts with pancetta and walnuts and has a cider vinegar\brown sugar mixture poured on top. Delicious!!

I so would love to try this w/o the pancetta. I don't eat meat. However, this sounds delish!
  • mrsjoyw
    mrsjoyw Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    My favorite veggie is beets but since I dont know how to eat the correct portion I havent had any for a while LOL!

I've started steaming my veggies for 5-8 minutes because I too still like a little crunch. Then I toss them with a teaspoon of lemon infused olive oil, a sprinkling of whatever herb I may grab and a teeny, tiny touch of sea salt. Yesterday was brussels sprouts and baby carrots.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Asparagus on the grill w/ olive oil, salt, and pepper.

This is mine, or roasted with olive oil and a little parmesan cheese.
  • BrandiBoo84
    BrandiBoo84 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Asparagus in olive oil and a tiny bit of sea salt baked in the oven until as soft as you want it. I personally like mine a little crunchy.
  • MiniJudy
    MiniJudy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Broccoli, steamed, with lemon juice and black pepper. I buy a large bag of frozen chopped broccoli about once every couple of weeks. Add to eggs, salads, baked potato, even ground in a food processor to add to turkey meatloaf.
    :happy:
  • originalcookiemonster
    Options
    Haricot Verts sauteed in butter, cinammon, and sometimes I put in spicy pecans. :)
  • Bubble105
    Bubble105 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Baked parsnips with honey drizzled over them... Mmmmmmm.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Asparagus - lightly coated with olive oil, grilled with garlic
    Fresh Spinach (not frozen) - sauteed with olive and garlic, added to a wrap or cut up in scrambled eggs
  • LateNightP
    Options
    Bump :)
  • jnissi
    jnissi Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am loving all the great veggie ideas on here!
    Brussel sprouts are my current favorite. The way my husband cooks them is amazing!
    I also love asparagus ( in about a month, it should be sprouting up again in my back yard ! yay! ) from the garden tomatoes and cucumbers sprinkled with just a bit of crazy salt ( this fantastic herb and salt combo ) . Zucchini and squash drizzled with a bit of olive oil and sprinkled with salt and then grilled. Oh and fresh garlic, roasted with just about anything. Sigh.... I can't wait for my garden to start growing. =)
  • gabijadc
    gabijadc Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Steamed vegetables for the win in my case :) Anything steamed is HEAVEN
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Cucumber. It's good in Asian salads, Middle Eastern salads, and gazpacho, and it gets me eating bell peppers, tomatoes, carrots, mint, cilantro, radishes, and anything else I can think of to chop up and mix with it.

I like cabbage too, in slaw, and au gratin. Even broccoli is good au gratin.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could pick a favorite vegetable. But I can share some of my favorite ways to prepare vegetables.

Roasted - toss in oil and spices and roast in hot oven till browned - brussel sprouts, cauliflower, carrots, sweet potatoes, parnsips, turnips, cabbage, butternut squash, broccoli, onions

Sauteed in olive oil and garlic - green beans (I like them crunchy too), collard greens, kale, bok choy, swiss chard, peppers, asparagus

Stewed with meat - onions and just about any type of root vegetable - carrots, sweet potato, parsnips, rutabaga, turnips

Pan fried - sweet potatoes, acorn squash, turnips

On the grill - summer squash, zucchini, brussel sprouts, asparagus, onions, broccoli, mushrooms, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, carrots, parsnips, tomatoes, peppers, corn
  • julslea
    julslea Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Butternut squash. I cut it up (after peeling it) into cubes and toss with a tiny bit of olive oil and roast in 450 oven for about 30 minutes. It is so delicious.
  • thica03
    thica03 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    1 tbs. olive oil, green beans, steamed slightly so that they are still crunchy, red onion, 1 garlic clove minced or garlic salt what ever you have on hand, season with salt and pepper to your liking. Saute onions until brown and crips, then mix in green beans and garlic, cook for about 3-5 min on low just enough for garlic to brown a bit eat hot...yummmy....looks like I will be having that for dinner since my mouth is watering now.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Butternut squash. I cut it up (after peeling it) into cubes and toss with a tiny bit of olive oil and roast in 450 oven for about 30 minutes. It is so delicious.

I love butternut squash so much that I forget it's good for me.
  • xlydiagracex
    Options
    Asparagus for sure! I love it. I steam it, it tastes better than boiling and keeps the nutrients in.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Asparagus bunch wrapped with one slice of reduced fat bacon and broiled until the bacon is crispy. Yummy!