No, I'm not a feminist

Options
peggysue218
peggysue218 Posts: 126 Member
Has anyone else noticed that in TV/movies there can be a "fat" man with a "normal" woman (I can't remember the name of the sitcom but it was a small brunette woman with a big guy), two "fat" people together (i.e. Mike and Molly), or two "normal" people together (every other show/movie ever made)? Something is missing... I guess media people don't think it's believable for a "normal" guy to be with a "fat" woman.

Just saying.

Replies

• toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else noticed that in TV/movies there can be a "fat" man with a "normal" woman (I can't remember the name of the sitcom but it was a small brunette woman with a big guy), two "fat" people together (i.e. Mike and Molly), or two "normal" people together (every other show/movie ever made)? Something is missing... I guess media people don't think it's believable for a "normal" guy to be with a "fat" woman.

Just saying.

I don't understand the title of your topic. If you don't believe in a double standard for the sexes, yes, you are a feminist.

Another common double standard in the movies and TV is that it's fine for old men to be coupled with much younger, always very attractive women, while the reverse neither happens, is laughable, or the older woman has to be a "cougar."
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options

Just saying.

I wouldn't say Dan was a normal weight but he wasn't as obese as Roseanne. Love her.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Who cares?

Just sayin'.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Shallow Hal.
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    .....be a "fat" man with a "normal" woman (I can't remember the name of the sitcom but it was a small brunette woman with a big guy).....

King of Queens, I believe is the show you are referring to here.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    It's actually impossible.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,128 Member
    Options
    You sound kind of like a feminist.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Mondays are rough
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Stop watching TV and your life will improve by leaps and bounds. So much so that you stop noticing or worrying about things like this.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Your problem is that you are looking to the media for definition of what's normal and/or acceptable. You will rarely find truth in the media, esp TV and movies.
  • anasvoice
    Options
    um, I don't think you know what being a feminist means...
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Is it art reflecting life? Or, life reflecting art?

Hmmmmm.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I do have feminist views in general, but in this situation I think there is more discrimination against people who are overweight.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I want to see a sitcom where Bradley Cooper dates me. Forget sitcom... I want that in real life. Bradley Cooper makes me tingle.
  • stealthSLOTH
    stealthSLOTH Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Don't believe the TV Hype!
    I see 'normal' men with 'fat' women in real life all the time.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Another common double standard in the movies and TV is that it's fine for old men to be coupled with much younger, always very attractive women, while the reverse neither happens, is laughable, or the older woman has to be a "cougar."

Yeah, it never happens so much that they made an entire TV series about it! And what's wrong with a hot older women being a cougar?? Rowr!

It all depends on what you *want* to see, I suspect.
  • BleedsCoffee
    BleedsCoffee Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Hey, being a feminist is awesome. It's all about smashing the gender binary and just celebrating humankind (at least, to me).

That said, I've definitely noticed that Hollywood does tend to pair heavier people and thinner people on-screen together. I don't think it's done as a message that "If you're fat, you are only allowed to date other fatties!", but rather that people often feel most comfortable with someone their relative size.

I do dislike the whole "It's okay to be a fat guy and date a thin woman, but if you're a fat woman... you leave those lean hunks alone!" notion that could be interpreted by it, but thankfully, there are always exceptions to the rules. Drop Dead Diva, for example. While the protagonist isn't exactly a whale at size 16, she still snags the heart of more than one of those lean hunks. She also dates a heavier set guy throughout the course of the show too! But that show really is all about sticking it to fat shaming, so... you can imagine why it was so progressive with regards to fat/thin couplings!
  • lotushead
    lotushead Posts: 200 Member
    Options

I don't understand the title of your topic. If you don't believe in a double standard for the sexes, yes, you are a feminist.

Boom.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    I hate men. Sexist pigs.*

*Joke. That was a joke.
  • LauraJo08
    LauraJo08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    um, I don't think you know what being a feminist means...

+1

I'm hoping that "No, I'm not a feminist" was your title to get attention, because if not, I think that you are confused about the definition of a feminist.

Being a feminist implies that you support feminism, which advocates for women's rights to be equal to men in social, political, and economic forms.

Every time a female celebrity says "no, I'm not a feminist," a little part of me dies inside.