Avocado... What to do with it?

Options

Replies

• I like to slice half of an avocado in slices..S&P, and make a panini w/deli turkey slices, Mozzarella or Provolone cheese, and wheat bread! I also love to eat them raw too..or guac
  • janegalt37
    janegalt37 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    After reading all of the replies (and getting some awesome recipes) I have realized - Asking people how they like their avocados is like asking an 18 year old male how he likes his sex: "Any way I can get it!"

Avocados are my third favorite food, and they are soooo good for you. I hope you find a way to work them into your diet. Bon appetit!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Put the flesh of an avocado in a food processor along with 2 T. lemon juice, 1/2 cup parmesan cheese and 1/4 cup evoo. Pulse till smooth. Cook a pound of fettuccine and sauté a pound of peeled/deveined shrimp in some evoo, garlic and red pepper flakes. Toss everything together and enjoy.
  • feenie2
    feenie2 Posts: 3
    Options
    I put it in my smoothies, makes it really rich and creamy.

Cut avocado in half, remove the pit, crack an egg into the pit hole and bake in oven until the egg is cooked how you like your eggs and then top with salsa before serving....yummy breakfast.

Wow, I am going to have to try that! Sounds delicious and easy breakfast idea!
  • amysusername
    Options
    If you don't like the flavor, this may not help, but my favorite ways are chunked on a lettuce salad or taco salad; sliced with a hamburger, or mashed into guacamole ( i put green chillies or some spice in my guac.)
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I like to mash avocado with a fork and put about a tablespoon on sandwiches or fajitas, wraps, etc. instead of using butter, mayo, sour cream, and such things. I've also seen recipes- check out Pinterest for some ideas. I haven't tried them yet, because I like avocado as is. If you don't find ideas and your avocados are ripening, cut them in half and throw them in the freezer. They'll keep for a long time.
  • emilyquast
    Options
    i hope no one else posted this! i haven't made these yet but they are so on my to-make list.

http://spabettie.com/2013/04/08/buffalo-chickpea-bella-baked-avocado/
  • barbd70
    barbd70 Posts: 35
    Options
    bump
  • feenie2
    feenie2 Posts: 3
    Options
    My wife loves this one. I've made it several times when hers girlfriends come over for a wine tasting party.

Hot Avocado and Shrimp Soup

1 small onion, diced
    2 stalks celery, chopped fine
    4 cups chicken broth
    1 bay leaf
    4 sprigs parsley
    1 cup sour cream
    1/8 cup chopped chives
    Salt and Pepper to taste
    2 medium avocados, peeled, seeded, roughly chopped
    1/2 cup cooked small shrimp, shelled, de-veined

Place onion, celery, broth, bay leaf, parsley, salt & pepper in a large saucepan. Simmer for 15 minutes. Strain and reserve stock.

Place avocados in blender or food processor; puree avocados while slowly adding stock.

When mixture is smooth, return to saucepan and heat gently; add shrimp. Cook over low heat until heated thoroughly, do not boil.

Serve with a dollop of sour cream atop each serving, and sprinkle with chopped chives.

Garnish with a slice of Fresh Avocado and sprig of cilantro
  • Soulflwr
    Soulflwr Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I like to put a little salt and pepper on mine and eat it on a cracker. Otherwise, it is pretty bland.
  • rymea
    rymea Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I like them chopped in chilli or in any kind of spicy soup. Try some in Progresso Light Sante Fe Chicken soup along with chopped cilantro, tomatoes and a squeeze of lime. Sometimes I even add a glob of plain yogurt.
    Of course guacamole salad is wonderful: 1 chopped avacado, 1 chopped tomatoe, 1 Tb raw minced onion, lemon juice and a little salt.
    Slice them on burgers, beef, chicken or turkey.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    add a sprinkle of salt and pepper....chilled, yuuumm
  • throttle2009
    Options
    scoop a few spoonfuls and add to a toasted tomato sandwich, salt and pepper to taste. yum....
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Besides a little salt and pepper, and on salads....

Avoadopoachedeggs.jpg
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    This is pretty good....

AvocadoEggSaladII.png
  • ang3li
    ang3li Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I make an avocado milk shake..
    1/2 an avocado
    1 cup of almond milk
    2 stevia's / natvias
    and ice .. and blend it all together

sweet milkshake

Don't knock it unti you try it.. =)
  • kshiraakshara
    kshiraakshara Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I like to use it in salads:

1 avocado
    1 cucumber
    1 cup of grape or cherry tomatoes
    1/4 cup of green onions
    1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar.

Chop up the avocado, cucumber, and green onions, and cut the tomatoes in half, then toss in balsamic vinegar.

You can also make it with regular onions as long as you slice them really thin -- and of course provided that you don't mind the taste of raw onions.
  • dennik15
    dennik15 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bump
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I love to just mash it and put it on toasted wheat bread. Yummy.

Or sliced in tacos, or plain, or.....mmmm, I'm hungry. I ♥ avocados.
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    bump