Running at night with a concealed carry.

Options

Replies

• BuffyEat2Live
    BuffyEat2Live Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I saw a guy the other night run through my neighboorhood while carrying his gun in his hand. He was also carrying a bag of something, probably weights, over his shoulder.

So if you're just running with your gun in your waistband you're probably not working hard enough to get a good burn.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    What about one of those compression shirts that incorporates a holster? Myself, I'd be worried about my arm swing rubbing back and forth against it, but I know from my job that I don't like having a lot of weight on my beltline, threatening to pull my pants down when I have to run.
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    REALLY PEOPLE?

She's doing what's needed to protect herself.

OP - Whatever you do, do NOT run with it in your hands or unsecured flapping all over the place. I'd suggest a proper holster or as stated above to get one custom made.
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I saw a guy the other night run through my neighboorhood while carrying his gun in his hand. He was also carrying a bag of something, probably weights, over his shoulder.

So if you're just running with your gun in your waistband you're probably not working hard enough to get a good burn.

armed robbery anyone?

LMAOO
  • iLoveMyAR15
    iLoveMyAR15 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    They sell a "fanny pack" type holster that you wear in the front. You can adjust the size so it's nice and snug around your waist.

Yes! I have one of these and it works great. It fits my .22 Ruger perfectly!
  • mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    First if your not into guns just leave this alone and not comment...she has a right to carry and if she is educated she should. OK for the holster, I have been a Police officer for over 30 years and have been carrying and still do today. I made a holster out of a CD neoprene running holder...I know I just dated myself but it kept the gun close, tight to the body and dry. Good luck with this and stay safe!
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    I use one of those nylon (I want it to be more pliable than leather and easily washable) shoulder holsters that has straps that are designed to come down the side of your body, loop around your belt, and snap together. Instead of looping and snapping around a belt, I pull those straps across my back and snap them to each other, this pulls the holstered weapon further up and under my underarm and even toward my back. It's not a quick-draw rig...but it secures the gun tightly to my body. I use this set-up for other applications besides running and have found that it works well.

I also like my fanny-pack holsters...but they seem to flop a little when I run.

Last. Consider carrying a knife also. :) Good luck to you! :)
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I may try a fanny pack. I haven't ran with one so I'll try without the gun and see how it feels. I have big hips and a small waist so anything around my hips usually rides up to my waist. I had to keep readjusting my reflective belt last night. :laugh: I don't want it to bounce around alot...

Ankle holster seems like a good option if the pack doesn't work.

I thought about the compression shorts with the built in holster. I may end up using that as a last resort. I'm apprehensive about buying new clothes because I have a good chunk of weight to lose, and it's all the spare tire...
  • srey0701
    srey0701 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    You need a holster!! Don't keep in in your waistband because you might knock the safety off or even pull the trigger. That's great that you are carrying your weapon for protection.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Reading this thread I feel so lucky to live between two relatively safe countries - Japan and Australia - where guns basically face a blanket ban. That being said, I would never run in my area of Sydney at night time. I still remember a creeper following me home from school and I had to run from the bus stop (I live in probably one of the best areas of Sydney).

In fact, I wouldn't run in the evening anywhere unless I had to. If this is such a concern for you, have you thought of getting a gym membership and just exercising there? I personally much prefer jogging outside, but safety is always first in these cases because if anything like this were to happen, knowing that $50 a month could have prevented it will be a sore thought.

I learnt my lesson in Thailand walking home with my sister... let's just say my sister and I have enormous voices and smart tactics so the *kitten* failed and is now in jail :) I hate how people (especially men) take these concerns so lightly. I feel uncomfortable around any men I don't know now, and media exposure is just showing the situation getting worse... cancelled plans to travel in India and I currently refuse to go to any non-developed country now or travel anywhere alone... :frown: I hope you never have to go through this type of experience, it is so unpleasant and really changes you for life.

*end random train of thought*

Stay safe xx
  • cjlorigan
    cjlorigan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Seriously after Newton, Boston Marathon, the movie theater shooting etc, you think it's safe to run at night....in the dark....away from help if needed....alone.....without some sort of protection? Geez just look what happens when there are people around and usually in broad daylight!!!

If you're a legal permit carrying person and a gun is what you want (I'm sooooo jealous by the way cuz I don't have one...yet) then by all means go for it!!

OP: Kudos to you and I hope you find the holster that you like.
  • Kendie74
    Kendie74 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Need it for what? A deer mugging? :huh:

Put your gun away before you hurt someone

Yes because responsible, law-abiding gun owners are the ones hurting people ... :ohwell:

In case you're wondering, criminals love people who think like you.

^^^^This
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    You need to get some kind of holster you can wear around your waist, under your shorts. Your shorts are not a holster, but they should be able to conceal one easily. I've been followed on lonely country roads, and it is very frightening just how alone you can be in a rural area.
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    Just here for the show...
  • MyPureSteez
    MyPureSteez Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Most bad guys are out of shape so you'll just out run them! :)
  • iLoveMyAR15
    iLoveMyAR15 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Need it for what? A deer mugging? :huh:

Put your gun away before you hurt someone

wow that was totally obnoxious and uncalled for
  • kimm147
    kimm147 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    people people people. please do not even give the time of day to the ignorant ones who live in fairyland. please do not respond to them.

bet if they were in trouble and needed ur gun the thought on "horrible guns" might just change a tad....

Myself I actually made one at home i am a seamstress, varieties include shoulder/armpit and waist. you can get pretty innovative with special fabrics and super elastic!
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Only in the United States of America! ;)
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    This post made me laugh! Of course, in the UK the laws are different so I don't own a gun, but if I was afraid at night I would perhaps consider buying a large dog or something.
This discussion has been closed.