Running at night with a concealed carry.

Options
191011121315»

Replies

• girlfromOklahoma
    girlfromOklahoma Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have no problem with it if OP wants to carry a gun while running. After all it's her right. However, personally this seems a little silly to me. But, I live in a nice area where I feel 100% safe.
  • ShellGetsFit
    ShellGetsFit Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Another option is to run with a dog. A BIG dog.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This is what I do! I have a big Doberman, no issues yet with anyone bothering me. Although, I have to say, if we were allowed to carry I totally would! All the power to you and I hope you find something that works for you! I love the compression shorts with the holster, I saw those many months ago.
  • ac7ss
    ac7ss Posts: 15
    Options
    IMO, use a solid belt and an SOB holster. (Belt worn against the skin under your running outfit if necessary.)

This is the ONLY time I would consider an SOB holster, (because that is what it feels like to fall/sit on one) but most other options are not good because of the weight unbalancing you or the motion of your running causing chafing.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I have a CWP, but I don't carry when I walk/run. I usually depend on my life skills then and pay super close attention to my surroundings. It's best to have a buddy, but that's not always a do-able thing.

Personally, I'd opt for a knife in your sock or back pocket if you have one.
  • Its_All_Gongfu
    Its_All_Gongfu Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    A little personal pepper spray is like...less than ten dollars.

A determined man bent on hurting another person will grab them up, THEN worry about his eyes.

Pepper spray is a joke, and a damn shame so many people believe it will save them.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I used to live in a rural area similar to what you described. People might think you are being paranoid, but you are smart to be carrying a weapon. I once was attacked by an insane meth head and it took the cops over 30 minutes to get out there to help me. As long as you know how to use your weapon and you are safe, carry it with you. You never know what can happen. Be safe!

No kidding. If you are expecting the cops to keep you safe, you've got another think coming.

ETA: It's called "personal responsibility."
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    You know when the zombie apocalypse happens and she's the only one to be able to run and shoot you'll be wishing you had thought of this too. Oh wait it wont matter you'll be a rotting blood hungry corpse.

Good for you girl! I live in a rural area too and where there are coyotes there are mountain lions and bears. I wish I had eye hand coordination you can bet I would be carrying one.

QFT
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I am a leftie also. I carry my .38 in a wrap-around wrist holster on my right forearm. It is meant for ankle carry, but the uneven weight is a problem for me when running.
  • Its_All_Gongfu
    Its_All_Gongfu Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Palm strike to the nose.
    Finger jab to the eyes.
    Elbow to the ribs.
    Knee in the crotch.

Scream, yell, make a ton of noise and run like hell.

Nothing wrong with owning a gun for protection, but if someone comes at you from behind, you won't have time to un-holster, aim and shoot. It'll be too late. Your attacker will have it and then your fate is sealed.

LOL!!!! :laugh:

Three out of four of the moves you mentioned can ONLY be done from the front....while facing your attacker. Your thoughts?

As for screaming, yeling, etc, I'd rather go into a dangerous situation with the OP.... than someone who still believes in the Help Fairy.
  • ac7ss
    ac7ss Posts: 15
    Options
    I am a leftie also. I carry my .38 in a wrap-around wrist holster on my right forearm. It is meant for ankle carry, but the uneven weight is a problem for me when running.
    Great idea! I believe that my 9mm would be too big for that, but it is worth a try.
  • missbossypants
    missbossypants Posts: 42 Member
    Options

My thoughts exactly. I'm Canadian though, so I don't feel the need to bear arms to go for a run. Protection need not be lethal.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    All the gun law arguments aside, it is extremely important for women out there to protect themselves.

I have passed up so many prime running nights because I don't have anything to protect myself if someone did stop me. The only thing I have is my cell phone which wouldn't help much. Being only 5'0 and (very fiesty, scrappy) 125 pounds, I'm not sure I'd be able to fight off an attacker, so instead I decided not to risk it. Those laughing think it's funny, but sexual assault attacks on women are a serious issue in America today. If women can defend themselves just so they can enjoy a good run, more power to them.

Edit- I have also ran into some questionable animals (foxes, stray dogs, etc) that I wasn't sure if they were going to do anything while I ran by them. While I wouldn't want to shoot them, I don't know what I'd do if they decided to attack either. I guess it's helpful to just be prepared if you know you are going to be running in a dodgy area.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Great idea! I believe that my 9mm would be too big for that, but it is worth a try.

Smaller gun!!!! Problem solved!!!:bigsmile: Wheres all the MFP pro gun hottieeezzz at!?!?!?!?!?!:devil:
  • ebrinsfield77
    Options

A determined man bent on hurting another person will grab them up, THEN worry about his eyes.

Pepper spray is a joke, and a damn shame so many people believe it will save them.

This is so true! When has anyone ever trained or practiced with pepper spray or a taser? Good luck with that, ladies! I am proud to have learned proper gun safety, shooting techniques, and emergency procedures! Best wishes to OP.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Palm strike to the nose.
    Finger jab to the eyes.
    Elbow to the ribs.
    Knee in the crotch.

Scream, yell, make a ton of noise and run like hell.

Nothing wrong with owning a gun for protection, but if someone comes at you from behind, you won't have time to un-holster, aim and shoot. It'll be too late. Your attacker will have it and then your fate is sealed.

LOL!!!! :laugh:

Three out of four of the moves you mentioned can ONLY be done from the front....while facing your attacker. Your thoughts?

As for screaming, yeling, etc, I'd rather go into a dangerous situation with the OP.... than someone who still believes in the Help Fairy.

Didn't you see Miss Congeniality? We mustn't forget to sing.

Solarplexus
    Instep
    Nose
    Groin
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

This is so true! When has anyone ever trained or practiced with pepper spray or a taser? Good luck with that, ladies! I am proud to have learned proper gun safety, shooting techniques, and emergency procedures! Best wishes to OP.

WHats shakin sexy!?!?!?! come teach me proper gun technique!!!!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I have no problem with it if OP wants to carry a gun while running. After all it's her right. However, personally this seems a little silly to me. But, I live in a nice area where I feel 100% safe.

It's great that you 'feel' 100% safe.

I hope you know that you aren't. There is nowhere in the world, no country, no community or place where your safety equates to 100%.

But that's the problem isn't it. Feelings, these days, trump everything, including common sense and logic.

Keep feeling away and telling rational people that what they do seems silly to you.

And finally, I use the built in holster compression shorts from 511. I live in a rural area as well and wear it when I run/walk at night or during the day. I'm not so much worried about human predators or event the large number of canine predators. I have issues with the antelope, especially the males during mating season. Mean *kitten*.

And for the commenter on deer muggings, do a youtube search for just that thing and you'll see several videos of hikers getting seriously injured by Bambi. Wildlife; carnivores, omnivores (the wild pigs in SoCal were terrifying) and herbivores can all be extremely dangerous. It seems like many people (not all) who live in urban/suburban environment don't understand this.

For the people trying to warn the OP away from a firearm and to pepper spray, that won't deter a rabid animal. Skunks, in my area, have been turning up positive lately and been attacking dogs and people. All things to consider.

Sorry for the long post.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I don't run with mine on but the hubby does, he wears it in a forward facing fanny
    pack
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,149 MFP Staff
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread. The original poster has received a significant amount of feedback and the conversations can continue via personal messaging or within a group.

The forum guidelines include these items:

16. No Political Topics in the Main Forums

Political content is not allowed on the Main Forums. This includes images. Please form or join a Group if you would like to engage in political debate on MyFitnessPal.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    Olivia
    MyFitnessPal Community Manager
This discussion has been closed.