Do I look like I need to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    You don't LOOK overweight. That being said I read you're a type 1 diabetic. My husband also is a type 1 diabetic but he's 52. If you're not happy with yourself (it sounds like you're not) tone up NOW, because as hard as it is to get rid of weight when you're older, it's 20X harder for a type 1. It takes him MONTHS to lose what I can in a week or two. His cardiovascular progress is seriously insanely slower. So at the very least stay in SHAPE (run/lift etc.) now, regardless of how you appear, because IF you gain it just gets so hard to get rid of and puts you are much higher risk for various cardiovascular diseases because of the diabetes compounded with the weight.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    a few thoughts...

a) your goal weight and your current weight are 7 pounds apart... really, the last 10 pounds are a bugger to lose, and you can go up and down like a yoyo...

b) how can people judge your 'overweightedness' by your profile pics... I can't see much besides a wedding dress, and you looked great in it.

c) who cares what other people think. what do YOU think

d) try doing some body weight exercises, or lift if you can... instead of looking at your scale, work on strengthening your muscles... your body will look tighter and stronger, and even though your weight may not change, your clothes will fit better.
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Lift some weights if you want to look even better....nothing wrong with toning up some but our opinions of you and your body shouldn't matter. If you don't feel pretty go to the spa...have your hair done differently, something, but don't try to MAKE yourself feel not pretty by body shaming yourself. If you're happy with who you are, there ya go!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Lots of us were "starving" when we were trying to maintain 300 pounds, too -- or thought we were. The perception of hunger can get skewed and isn't always the best indication that we are or are not doing the right thing. If you're eating enough calories to maintain a healthy body weight, then you're probably not starving.

If you're not happy where you are, keep working at it.
  • michmich68
    michmich68 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'll clarify...do I look overweight?

Since I put this weight on, I've FELT overweight...Just want to know if my perception is skewed or if other people see it too.

No.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I agree with the need to add weights. I've been adding more in lately but I know I can do better...I feel better after cardio than after weight lifting-but I know I need more resistance training/strength training to lean up a bit.
    [/quote]

Hey Twinnie!

Yep, time to buckle down and do some lifting! I mostly do body-weight intervals- stuff like assisted pull-ups, pushups, handstands, lunge walking.... I'm still not at goal size but I eat a TON and my body looks probably the best it ever has. When I was younger I ran cross country and did a lot of cardio, and though I was lighter I never had abs, arm definition or any of the things that I'm getting happy about now. I'm 33 and I love my legs all the way up for the first time in my life!

The strength work will change your body! If your BGs are well controlled, I don't think it will actually take you more time than a pancreatically-gifted person to see changes.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I can't tell from the pictures on your profile. I would recommend posting fitness pictures if you want a true assessment!

This.

I was wondering how everyone is forming an opinion. The pics in your profile you are clothed barely showing any of your body.
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I think you could lose weight and still be okay. However, I don't think you need to lose weight. The biggest clue should be your activities. If you are happy with your current energy level and body then don't change a thing except more healthy food. If your weight is bothering you then do more.

BTW, you have the prettiest face (and a pretty face always looks good) and look gorgeous and trim in the wedding gown.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I think you could lose weight and still be okay. However, I don't think you need to lose weight. The biggest clue should be your activities. If you are happy with your current energy level and body then don't change a thing except more healthy food. If your weight is bothering you then do more.

BTW, you have the prettiest face (and a pretty face always looks good) and look gorgeous and trim in the wedding gown.
    Random comment, i love Louise in your profile pic. Ultra cute.
  • bernieh27510
    Options
    Have a read about external locus of evaluation....I don't personally think u look aver weight at all..
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    DO you look in the mirror and think, 'I need to lose weight?' There's your answer.

At some point in your life you will have to take responsibility for your own body and not rely on others opinions to inform your own.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    nobody in a size 6 looks overweight or needs to lose weight.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    nobody in a size 6 looks overweight or needs to lose weight.

That's a lie.

When i started i was a size 6 with 32% body fat.
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Girl, there is nothing wrong with you. Your beautiful. You do not look overweight whatsoever! IF I WERE YOU (and I'm not, BUT if I were) I would focus more on my health and STAYING FIT. You look good to me.
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Check out www.mariashealth.blogsopt.com for some interesting information & recipe's to help you keep that diabetes in check.
  • MsipiGRITS
    MsipiGRITS Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I think to a degree we all struggle with self esteem issues-maybe not constantly and some maybe more than others...as a female I am at times insecure-admittedly.

Thanks for the input.
    [/quote]

I started my journey quite a bit heavier than I am now. At that time I would have told you that anyone wearing a size 6 was skinny and would have never imagined myself at that size... However, I am below my original goal weight and now WEAR a size 6 - 8 and there are still days where I look in that mirror and SEE an overweight woman! Fortunately I am a pretty logical thinker so my brain says, "A size 6 is not 'overweight' so snap out of it!" Now, I do agree that we may need to tone and/or lose body fat, but this is NOT overweight. Then again, sometimes I look in the mirror and I see my bones sticking out and think I may have lost too much weight or "I REALLY need to tone up this scrawny chest/arms!" I think this is all due to hormonal fluctuations for me, as I have PCOS and I feel more "overweight" at certain times than at others. I would say that if this is a perception you are having just at times, it could just be hormones or simply a bad day... However, if it is frequent and/or pervasive, maybe you are having some trouble liking what you see in the mirror. Also, keep in mind that our bodies change as we get older, have kids, etc.... I looked great at 115lbs when I was young, but now I would look ridiculous at that weight! Also, my weight fluctuates 5-7lbs during the month... So, I wouldn't get completely bound up in numbers unless you are seeing it consistently rise or not seeing it move over several weeks' time. You might try averaging your weight if you are a daily weigher, which will show a more realistic picture. In any case, grabbing the bull by the horns and doing something to change what you are seeing will make you feel better regardless. So, my suggestion would be to do just that!!! For what it is worth, I think you look fine, and definitely not overweight!!!
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Took your advice and did the circuit this morning.

It kicked my *kitten*.
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I think what a lot of people are trying to say is that maybe you could use some strength training to tone up. It's not about the # on the scales. It's about so many numbers other than that. :flowerforyou:
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Well the circuit does have weight training incorporated into it.

The goal is to target a different area every day too. I've started doing arms, legs, abs (alternating days)
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Well the circuit does have weight training incorporated into it.

The goal is to target a different area every day too. I've started doing arms, legs, abs (alternating days)

awesome! I think most circuits have a combination of cardio and strength. I go to Curves and that's what we have there. I love it, and it really works. A good combination is the right way to go in my opinion. I have recently been doing Shaun T's Rockin' Body and I would recommend checking out Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. Take before pics bc your body WILL change! :-)