*** Supportive Friends -- Looking to Release 50+ Pounds ***

Options

Replies

• tazminacat
    Options
    Hi everyone, haven't stopped by in a while. My mom was coming home from jersey, wanted to make sure she came home to a clean house so she could relax. I don't know why I didn't log all that cleaning in my exercise diary, but oh well. Haven't had much success with the scale recently, but I'm doing measurements tomorrow so hopefully that will show some improvement.

Well just wanted to say hi, and check in with everyone, see if everyone was doing well. Looks like there have been fun conversations since I last checked.

Ttyal. =^.^=
  • TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Just popping in to say, I just realized something. The honest to God reason I started changing my life this year is because I was sick to death of getting out of breath when I would bend over to tie my shoes, or shave my legs, or pick up some of the 90 bajillion toys strewn around my house.

I DON'T GET OUT OF BREATH ANY MORE!!!! lol! I'm kind of happy about that :bigsmile:
  • tnsumner
    tnsumner Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the new people!!! We welcome you all.

So I ran 2.5 miles on Saturday at what was supposed to be a 5k. They had to change the course at the last minute. Anyway, I finished in 26 minutes!!!! I posted a pic. It was super awesome. The run was Glow in the Park. They used glowing paint and we ran under black lights so we looked radioactive!!! Then I decided I'd have ice cream for dinner. Lol. Shame on me. Now I'm back to being good.

What did everyone do over the weekend?? Make anything fabulous to eat?
  • sayhitoshari
    sayhitoshari Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    My name is Shari and I just started this weight loss journey. I tried this last year and was taking Visalus but failed miserably, this year Im determined to make this work on my own, eating healthy food and exercising twice a day. My first goal is really 15 pounds, I've never lost 15 pounds before, so this will be HUGE for me, I'm currently at 4 pounds lost. I just lost my workout partner today though so I'm feeling a little bit discouraged that I won't keep it up because it really helps when I have someone to talk to while working out, or at least text when working out alone LOL, but I'm still determined to make this work. looking at everyone's progress on the message boards make it seem like maybe this really is possible.
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    Just popping in to say, I just realized something. The honest to God reason I started changing my life this year is because I was sick to death of getting out of breath when I would bend over to tie my shoes, or shave my legs, or pick up some of the 90 bajillion toys strewn around my house.

I DON'T GET OUT OF BREATH ANY MORE!!!! lol! I'm kind of happy about that :bigsmile:

That was one of the things that set me off too Meg, Though with me it was walking at airports where I would get out of breath and stand on the moving walkways to get it back or walking up more than one flight of stairs. This is where I notice the biggest change now.

@janet - I'll be interested to see what you think of the last couple of Dr Who episodes. They're written by someone else and much as I love the new companion, I don't think the writing is up to standard.

@tnsumner - If my calculations are correct that works out at over 6 mph average, very impressive. And glowing too at the same time!!

@Shari - Welcome. Stick to the MFP limits and you WILL lose weight, that 15 lbs will be gone in no time!

@tasminacat - wb!

All, have a good Tuesday!
  • closedforrenovation
    Options
    Hi all! I'm a newbie here, but this looks like a great thread and I'd love to be a part of it. I have 85lbs to lose to reach my goal, and I know from past attempts how important support and motivation can be.

For now, I'll leave you guys with this, which I heard somewhere and really struck home for me and has prevented a few eating binges in the last week: The food isn't going anywhere. Pizza and chocolate and whatever other delicious thing you want will not suddenly cease to exist, it will always be there for you to come back to, so you are ok only having a tiny bit now or even waiting until another time. <--- saved my butt (literally!) a few times recently. :)
  • maybemarina
    maybemarina Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've got 57 lbs to go to my goal weight... I'm excited to be doing it right and I'm confident I will be able to get there by November 1st, which is my goal date. My husband and I are going to go on a cruise in December if I reach my goal! Just as a treat and for motivation :happy:
  • debbiewillersveik
    debbiewillersveik Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm In :) Hey all my name is Debbie. I'm looking to lose around 50 lbs and am having a heck of a time. I quit smoking about 2.5 months ago, and started exercising and started with WW. When I couldn't make the meetings and stopped caring about points, I decided to try this site for FREE. Bought a Zip and added 30DS to my workout. Hurt my knee on day 11 and had to take about a week off. Just getting back in the swing slowly. While I haven't GAINED, I certainly having lost any pounds, I had lost inches, but even after taking just a week off feel like it's SQUARE ONE all over again. So.....here I go
    > Oh and is there any way to SAVE a thread so I don't have to search for this one again??
  • laura666666
    laura666666 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone, just a quick check in. Firstly...I lost 2.5lbs last week woohoo!! Plus I've been sticking to my jogging plan, day 2 of week 2 done. Admittedly this morning was tricky, waking up at 5am and seeing it raining whilst still dark was not inspiring. So I did 10 minutes less than i was supposed to but at least I did something. Work is hectic as usual and in the evenings I'm wall paper stripping. Really not one of my strong points!! But I'm so excited, a friend is coming to plaster the 3 rooms. I've lived a year with it looking horrid and now the end is close!! I will read all the messages later on in the week, but keep at it everyone, we can do this together!!
  • salemnye
    salemnye Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I was browsing motivation and support and I found this thread! Yay for people who have the same goals as me. Well when I first found this site I was....180ish (I fluctuated a lot). Jan to March was the last quarter of my schooling so it was very stressful to finish everything on time and decently. I gained 10 pounds in that 3 month window. This morning I weighed in at 191 pounds. That was disheartening. This is the heaviest I've ever been. So to get back to a weight I'm okay with (140) I need to lose 50+ pounds.

CW: 191
    SW: 180
    GW: 135 (Okay at 140-145)

I'm ready to face this challenge head on and I'll try to come on every day. I have a personal goal of walking/jogging a mile each day (Which is about 15-20 min on the treadmill for me). I'm horribly lazy so this will be a big challenge. I also love food but I do love healthy food too so I just have to make the switch from chips as a snack to tomatoes (I love popping grape tomatoes in while watching a movie).
  • janetay01
    janetay01 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    @meg - I understand how you feel about the breathlessness. For me, it was the lack of flexbility and aching every time I bent down. That has now gone.

@laura - that ready to decorate feeling is so good. our bedroom is currently a horried shiny purple - can't wait to change it to a nice colour but it all takes time to come together.

@ron - to be honest, I'm not sure about the new Doctor Who episodes. I agree that I dont think the writing is so good any more and whilst I like the new assistant, I'm totally not sold on Matt Smith. However, I've never got over David Tennant giving up as the Doctor. He was such a hard act to follow that I think anyone would struggle and they lost some of the really good writers (Russell T Grant if I remember correctly?) at the same time. However, we'll stick with it - not sure where they are taking the story line though.

welcome to salem, debbie, aquamarina and closedforrenovation - and anyone else new that I've missed!

@debbie - once you've commented on the thread, if you go to the community tab and click on 'my topics' you will find the link listed there along with any other threads you've commented on.

quiet day today, little to report - went to the job interview and think it went ok. But not sure it is the right thing for me - I'm in a position where I don't have to find something new so I can afford to be fussy and wait for the right role. Taken a day off from the workouts today - give my poor aching legs a chance to recover!

Anyway, hope everyone is having a good week so far. I can't believe how much of a difference it is making now that we've had a few days of sunshine - can't wait for the better weather!
  • TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    @tnsumner, that glow run sounds so fun! I think at the end of next month I'll be doing a 5k for a local police families fundraiser. Can't wait!

@Shari, having support here is great! I honestly prefer to work out alone, but do occasionally take walks with my dad and sister. My hubby and I run at completely different paces, so that's not really an option. Check in here on a regular basis, and you will get lots of support!

@closedforrenovation - welcome! Love what you had to say about the not so good for you foods. I've seen that saying before, and it is so true!

@aquaamarina, welcome :happy: Sounds like hubby is on board with your goals, that's great! Hope you are able to meet your goals. We'll be here to support you.

@Debbie, welcome to you as well. Good job on quitting smoking! You can bookmark this thread, or on the Community page, click on My Topics, and this will be there on that list of threads you've commented on.

@Laura, congrats on the 2.5 lbs! That is so awesome! And you're right on the running, something is better than nothing. Admittedly, I wouldn't want to run in the rain and the dark. Had a hard enough time making myself go out today in the bright sunshine! lol

@salemnye, welcome :happy: I bet you're happy that you are done with school! Good that you have a goal for exercise, I've found that very helpful to keep me motivated, especially when someone else knows about it! Keep us updated and on that, and we will be here to encourage you to keep going.

Hope you all are having a good Tuesday. It's my Monday...:indifferent: Oh well. Woke up with a sinus headache this morning, but made myself get out on my lunch break and run. And of course, I'm glad I did. It's the same route I run on work days, and yet again, I did it faster than last time. Last Wednesday, I did it in 20:08. Today, I did it in 19:38. Just a few seconds difference, but faster! Also, my headache is gone :bigsmile: See, there are perks to exercising!
  • _tru_
    _tru_ Posts: 96
    Options
    @jolande – How are you doing with the supplements/energy drinks? Are you still taking them?

@uhohKerri – Hope the kids didn't wear you out too much.

@stephaniezoundi - How are you doing?

@penny_eclipse – Sounds like you will be super busy over the next few weeks. Glad to see that you are still being active and trying to eat well with all that is going on.

@ron – You too sound super busy! Glad to hear that the weight is still coming off!!

@charminggirl – Welcome.

@janetay – Glad that the interview went well. I agree, if you are in a position where you can be more choosey, it is best to find the best fit.

@tazminacat – Best of luck with your measurements.

@Meg – That's wonderful! I too am finding such things easier. Way to go Meg!

@tnsummer – Glow-in-the-dark sounds awesome! I have a friend who is an avid runner and she's done one where you wear white and then at random places throughout the run they splatter you with paint. The pics at the end are very amusing!

@sayhitoshari – Welcome. Sorry to hear you have lost your workout partner. But, I have no doubt you can still do this! 4 down. 11 to go. You CAN do it!

@clossedforreno – Welcome. Thanks for that great advice. I may just use it now and again.

@aquaamarina – Welcome. A cruise sounds lovely!

@debbiewillers – Welcome. Sorry to hear about your knee. Just take it easy until it is back to 100%. You'll get there!

@Laura666666 – Great loss! Congrats!

@salemnye – I'd recommend logging everyday. It helps to keep you accountable. As well, it's great to have a record of what works and what doesn't.

@Meg, again – Glad that the headache is gone and kudos on shaving off some time!

I am back in the full-swing food-wise. Yay! I will be starting back with exercise tomorrow! I'm actually excited about that. What is happening to me?!

Have a great evening!!
  • sayhitoshari
    sayhitoshari Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    closedforeno - Thats a good way to look at it, you're so right, the food isn't going anywhere. So far I've been lucky and I have had no trouble resisting foods. Today we had a girl scout event and we got all the girls pizza, it was right after school so I didn't have time to eat at home so I stopped at subway and got a turkey sub on wheat, with veggies and mustard only, but I think there will be a time when I really just want to give it up and have the pizza, and if I keep this thought in my mind, I think it will be helpful.
  • tnsumner
    tnsumner Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    @_tru_ I've done that run as well. It was okay. I inhaled the paint so I coughed up blue stuff for a few days.

@megblackburn You're going to do great!!! Have fun with it and let me know how it goes!!

Well I'm down 57 pounds total. I had gained more than what MFP shows. I have 16 pounds to go until I hit my goal weight. I'm so excited!!!!! One pair of goal pants fit yesterday. I haven't been this small since my freshman year of college.

With the weather warming up, we should all do something fun this weekend!!!
  • debbiewillersveik
    debbiewillersveik Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome everyone.....I'm off to the elliptical for 30...at about 29 yesterday the ol knee started pounding, so I thought I'd be in trouble today...but NOPE...all systems GO :) I need to keep my eating in check, I get sloppy in the evenings and lately have been in a binge mode.....NOT SO GOOD, a little stress here but I'll get it, I HAVE to :) Have a great day everyone!!!
  • salemnye
    salemnye Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    @Meg, thanks for the welcome. It does help that others know about it so I can be more honest and do what I say i'm going to do.

@Tru, I have logged. Well I didn't log my dinner because my lunch ruined my whole day (870 calories unfortunately).

I did 2 miles yesterday in 35 minutes. I'd like to get my individual mile faster. Today I plan on kicking it up to 3 miles since I went over on my calories yesterday.
  • stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    Hey All
    Did a quick read through. I lost 2.2lbs this week which I'm thrilled about. Have not been to the gym since Friday. Hubby working lots of overtime and this is my first week back at work properly. To be honest, I have been so tired by the time I get home and do all the stuff for baby girl, I don't have the energy to workout. I will get back into it, I promise. Just need to get into the groove again.
    Keep it skinny!
  • mjharman
    mjharman Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I am hungry today...and it is so difficult to stay on track when that is the case. I am at work, so it isn't like I can just go exercise to relieve it, and I have school tonight, which means I won't get dinner until very late. I have eaten all of the healthy snacks - the fruits, veggies, Greek yogurt - that I packed for the day. I just finished another 16.9 oz. bottle of water...

I keep telling myself I am hungry because my body is saying, "you better eat or you will lose more weight!" And I keep glancing at the goal number that is posted in my cubicle...reminding myself of that goal and imagining all of the pretty clothes I will buy when I get there. I keep reminding self of the reason for this journey. One more hour and I can leave for class...

I must stay busy and focused on my work until then and try to forget about it... :grumble:
  • sjo68
    sjo68 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I just came across this thread and saw how supportive you all are of each other. I would love to join you in support and encouragement. My name is Staci and I have lost about 26 pounds so far but still have over 100 to go. I am a nearly empty nester as my youngest or four is 18 and at a local community college just getting ready to transfer into a nursing program. I love spending time outdoors especially kayaking and biking. I usually check in daily M - F but often on the weekends during the summer months I spend time at our summer cottage and as of now still have no internet access other than the app on my phone.( I think having some friends here would hold me a little more accoutable. I look forward to getting to know you all better.