Why high dietary fat %? Are we trying to kill each other?

Options

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Guys can we all just shut up and notice that Sara, side steel and I are on the same side here? If THAT doesn't convince you, nothing will. Haha

vcrjw5.jpg

Ha, officially awesome!

holy. ****.

amazing.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Where is your basis for asserting that the information in our thread is dangerous?
    Additionally, obese people may use lbm instead of total bodyweight but even still, considering that .35/lb is the minimum recommended value I don't see anything in that thread as being potentially dangerous.

Why is .35g per pound considered the minumum valiue? According to whom?
    .35g per pound is a figure that many bodybuilders use to set up there macros. they start there and adjust to get optimum results. i dont have any sources. it could be alittle bro science.
  • TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    Where is your basis for asserting that the information in our thread is dangerous?
    Additionally, obese people may use lbm instead of total bodyweight but even still, considering that .35/lb is the minimum recommended value I don't see anything in that thread as being potentially dangerous.

.35g per pound is a figure that many bodybuilders use to set up there macros. they start there and adjust to get optimum results. i dont have any sources. it could be alittle bro science.

Finally, an honest answer. No medical evidence, just some guys talking around the weight rack. That makes perfectly good sense.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Lol. You were looking for the answer you wanted to hear.
    Clearly you do not know the physiological function of lipids
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Finally, an honest answer. No medical evidence, just some guys talking around the weight rack. That makes perfectly good sense.

haven't read the thread deeply. what's YOUR medical evidence?
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I'm currently at 25/30/45 for carbs/protein/fat. i get my fats from nuts, avocados, olive oil, butter, full fat milk (which by the way is amazing) and MEAT.

also... i'm losing weight, not gaining.
  • DatMurse
    Options

Dont waste your time on op.

Good luck to your hormonal dysfunction goals of 2013
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Dont waste your time on op.

Good luck to your hormonal dysfunction goals of 2013

haha appreciate the heads up.
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    i think a high percentage is a dangerous way to workout fat content, in particular anything over 50%, in the same respect with any macro though, i think making any macro over 50% is pointless tbh, my firm belief is everything in moderation, in particular for weight loss
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    i think a high percentage is a dangerous way to workout fat content, in particular anything over 50%, in the same respect with any macro though, i think making any macro over 50% is pointless tbh, my firm belief is everything in moderation, in particular for weight loss

For weight loss, moderation is irrelevant.

For health it's incredibly important.

But random arbitrary guidelines are arbitrary.
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options

I will make a fuller response later as I am on my phone - but could you answer the question please.

Every medical reference and study indicates that 25-35% of calories from fat is the max appropriate for good health and nutrition.

My question initially is where did your post originate? What is the reference? Certainly you can answer on your phone.

Please cite some of the references that say more than 0.35g is dangerous

And I said that I would answer more fully when I get to my computer.

At no time did I say that more than .35g is dangerous. When applied to people who are already overweight the percentage of fat from calories becomes excessive and can be harmful.. The accepted standard within the medical community is 25-35% as a percent of calories regardless of the source ("good" vs "bad" fat).

References:
    http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/basics/fat/
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fat/nu00262/nsectiongroup=2
    http://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0017/150083/E79832.pdf
    Throw in AHA, ADA, etc.

you asked "are we trying to kill eachother?"

your body oxidizes multiple forms of energy at the same time, protein, fat, and carbs
    selection of energy that your body chooses to oxidize is based upon intake and availability.

the higher fat you intake the more your body will oxidize it.
    same with the other macronutrients.

some are more prone to oxidize than others. such as carbs.

saturated fat is not harmful. It can be considered harmful for those who are inactive and overweight. then again same with carbohydrates.

hypercaloric diet+high carbs=diabetes
    hypercaoric diet+high fat= plaque build up in your vessels.
    if you take hypercaloric out of the equation, neither of those will happen

the only bad macro is trans fat

any disease that is a complication of diet is usually related to malnourishment or overeating.
    physical activity also plays a huge factor in whether people will get a disease or not

It have to disagree with your statement that saturated fat is not bad and that it plays no role as contributing to plaque buildup even in an active deficit diet (which is what you are referring). There are far to many variable to make a vague statement, such as genetics and hormones both of which play a huge role in plaque buildup. I know several and have known several individuals that are very active (always have been) yet still have plaque build up. Saturated fats "can" be bad for some individuals even though they have a very active lifestyle.
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options

it's not irrelevant at all, moderation is the key to losing weight, over indulging on things and in particular calories is what makes people overweight?
  • CoachReddy
    Options

it's not irrelevant at all, moderation is the key to losing weight, over indulging on things and in particular calories is what makes people overweight?

ah. i was under the impression you meant moderation in the TYPES of calories.

weight loss is only cal in/ cal out. thus, no dietary moderation is needed beyond calories consumed. even though you'll end up skinny and malnourished.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    There have been some posts recently which suggest setting fat as high as 70% of total calories. Why would someone eating at a deficit consume so much fat? The food volume is low, the overall diet lacks fiber and micronutrients due to the low carbs, and the protein is too low to protect muscle mass.

And while I'm asking questions that are sure to get me flamed, where did the often referred http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets originate? The idea of telling people who are obese to set their goals to "0.35g of fat per lb of total body weight as a minimum target" is poor science and could be harmful to their health. A 250 lb person eating 1700 cals per day would be consuming 45% of their calories in fat. Why are we perpetuating this?

Notes: 1) Yes, I know that carbs do not contain micronutrients but carb containing foods do. 2) A 250lb female my age and height, sedentary, would be consuming 1700 cals at TDEE -20%

Where have you seen posts that suggest setting fats as high as 70% of total calories?
  • DatMurse
    Options

I will make a fuller response later as I am on my phone - but could you answer the question please.

Every medical reference and study indicates that 25-35% of calories from fat is the max appropriate for good health and nutrition.

My question initially is where did your post originate? What is the reference? Certainly you can answer on your phone.

Please cite some of the references that say more than 0.35g is dangerous

And I said that I would answer more fully when I get to my computer.

At no time did I say that more than .35g is dangerous. When applied to people who are already overweight the percentage of fat from calories becomes excessive and can be harmful.. The accepted standard within the medical community is 25-35% as a percent of calories regardless of the source ("good" vs "bad" fat).

References:
    http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/basics/fat/
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fat/nu00262/nsectiongroup=2
    http://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0017/150083/E79832.pdf
    Throw in AHA, ADA, etc.

you asked "are we trying to kill eachother?"

your body oxidizes multiple forms of energy at the same time, protein, fat, and carbs
    selection of energy that your body chooses to oxidize is based upon intake and availability.

the higher fat you intake the more your body will oxidize it.
    same with the other macronutrients.

some are more prone to oxidize than others. such as carbs.

saturated fat is not harmful. It can be considered harmful for those who are inactive and overweight. then again same with carbohydrates.

hypercaloric diet+high carbs=diabetes
    hypercaoric diet+high fat= plaque build up in your vessels.
    if you take hypercaloric out of the equation, neither of those will happen

the only bad macro is trans fat

any disease that is a complication of diet is usually related to malnourishment or overeating.
    physical activity also plays a huge factor in whether people will get a disease or not

It have to disagree with your statement that saturated fat is not bad and that it plays no role as contributing to plaque buildup even in an active deficit diet (which is what you are referring). There are far to many variable to make a vague statement, such as genetics and hormones both of which play a huge role in plaque buildup. I know several and have known several individuals that are very active (always have been) yet still have plaque build up. Saturated fats "can" be bad for some individuals even though they have a very active lifestyle.
    Should look up the french paradox. It may be may be a multi-hit factor but it cannot be soley blamed on saturated fat.

]http://www.dietdoctor.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Fat-CVD.jpg
    http://freetheanimal.com/images/2009/09/cholesterol-mortality.gif
    America is the only one that says saturated fat causes heart disease.

its more than that such as inactivity and our lifestyle. multiple factors

image are too big to link

france has one of the lowest risks
    average cholesterol is 210 and they have a high saturated fat intake
    Colombia avg is 245 cholesterol and they are much lower than 90% of the other countries
  • DatMurse
    Options

i dont think you understand what a hypocaloric diet truly is
    multiple studies have said that a higher fat diet in a deficit improves plasma lipids
    that includes cholesterol and triglycerides.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    There have been some posts recently which suggest setting fat as high as 70% of total calories. Why would someone eating at a deficit consume so much fat? The food volume is low, the overall diet lacks fiber and micronutrients due to the low carbs, and the protein is too low to protect muscle mass.

And while I'm asking questions that are sure to get me flamed, where did the often referred http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets originate? The idea of telling people who are obese to set their goals to "0.35g of fat per lb of total body weight as a minimum target" is poor science and could be harmful to their health. A 250 lb person eating 1700 cals per day would be consuming 45% of their calories in fat. Why are we perpetuating this?

Notes: 1) Yes, I know that carbs do not contain micronutrients but carb containing foods do. 2) A 250lb female my age and height, sedentary, would be consuming 1700 cals at TDEE -20%
    It's not the high fat I have a problem with. I eat a crap load of fat. It's the extremely high deficits with poor nutrition thats a problem. Not fat. The person who wrote that link also suggests eating sensibly and not having a ginormous deficit.

A 250lb person should not be having such a high deficit that they are eating the same as me. Bam.
  • DatMurse
    Options

It's not the high fat I have a problem with. I eat a crap load of fat. It's the extremely high deficits with poor nutrition thats a problem. Not fat. The person who wrote that link also suggests eating sensibly and not having a ginormous deficit.

A 250lb person should not be having such a high deficit that they are eating the same as me. Bam.

she already got her answer she was looking for after 50+ replies

a bunch of gym guys talked about the importance of fat
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    she already got her answer she was looking for after 50+ replies

a bunch of gym guys talked about the importance of fat
    Gee thanks, now I'm absolutely terrified. Reddy is agreeing with people
    tumblr_lx15rhY3Nd1r2a1p0o1_500.gif
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Consuming dietary fat does not add to bodily fat. Dietary fat helps the feeling of "fullness" just like carbs do, but carbs metabolize very differently than fat.

The recommendation would be made for someone on a low carb high fat diet. You can't eat potato chips and losing weight, but you can eat bacon and lose weight :)

It's not all about losing weight. We should be aiming for sustainable good health. Eating excessive fat at the cost of other nutrients negatively affects long-term health.

And yes, you can lose weight eating potato chips. As long as you stay at a caloric deficit.

There are a lot of fat soluable vitamins that are stored in fat. So not nutrient deficient in any way.........

I eat about 60-70% fat per day and I eat mostly fat and vegetables, 1 serving of fruit and then my protein and I am over on the RDA for almost all vitamins and minerals - that is without taking a multi-vitamin.......

With my vitamin and fish oil added in, I am reaching all of the recommended nutrient amounts easily.

The key is to eat natural foods..........not boxed and packaged CRAP.