What do YOU think?

Options
DalekBrittany
DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
One of my friends posted this picture on Facebook the other day:

spanking_zps4034236b.jpg

What do you think? Do you think it's true? Do you agree or disagree with spanking as a form of punishment?

This is meant to be a thread to say your opinion. Disagree or agree with each other, but either way please keep it civil. We're all adults, no reason we can't act like it! :smile:

Replies

• Jen9239
    Jen9239 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    TOTALLY agree!!!! My son got in trouble and wanted to be grounded instead of spanking...haha as if he gets to pick his punishment!!!
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I think there need to be more parents who are parents instead of friends and set consistent boundaries. This does involve appropriate discipline. I personally think there are better alternatives that can teach a child in a more effective way. I have a 1 year old and a 5 year old. The younger one wouldn't understand and with the 5 year old one of the things he gets disciplined for is hitting his sister so to me it makes to sense to reinforce our no hitting policy by hitting.
  • DalekBrittany
    Options
    I used to look at my parents when I got spanked and go, totally straight faced, "That didn't hurt." And then I'd get sent to my room for being a smart *kitten*. :laugh:

I do think that there is a time for spanking and a time for other punishment. I am not a parent, but I think that when it's dangerous, kids should learn their own mistakes. For instance, when my sister was little she went through a phase where she would pick up any cup she could get her little hands on and drink it. My parents told her multiple times not to drink other peoples' things without asking, but she kept going. So they filled up a cup with some very yucky things (I think it was something like a mix of prune and orange juice :sick: ) and stuck it where she'd get it. Guess what? She stopped picking up cups after that! lol
  • Cadori
    Options
    I used to look at my parents when I got spanked and go, totally straight faced, "That didn't hurt." And then I'd get sent to my room for being a smart *kitten*. :laugh:

I do think that there is a time for spanking and a time for other punishment. I am not a parent, but I think that when it's dangerous, kids should learn their own mistakes. For instance, when my sister was little she went through a phase where she would pick up any cup she could get her little hands on and drink it. My parents told her multiple times not to drink other peoples' things without asking, but she kept going. So they filled up a cup with some very yucky things (I think it was something like a mix of prune and orange juice :sick: ) and stuck it where she'd get it. Guess what? She stopped picking up cups after that! lol

My parents did the same to my sister. They used vinegar. That was the last time she drank something that wasn't hers. :laugh: I think more creative punishment that fits the "crime" like this example teaches a better lesson. And I was the "That didn't hurt" kid too. But when they stuck me in the corner??? HELL!!!
  • DalekBrittany
    Options
    I know someone now that makes their 16 year old and 5 year old kneel in a corner on uncooked rice for ten minutes. That's just mean.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Thankfully, my child is perfect, so I don't have to discipline.
  • DalekBrittany
    Options
    Thankfully, my child is perfect, so I don't have to discipline.

Yeah my parents only had to spank me once ever, 'cause I was perfect! :flowerforyou: haha
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    My mother only spanked me when she lost control. It didn't stop me from becoming a rebellious teenager, either. I think the more important thing is being consistent and if you do punish your child, don't give in. A two week grounding needs to last for two weeks.
  • shygur
    shygur Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I think there needs to be more discipline but it may or may not be in the form of spanking. It depends on the child and whether or not they respond to that form of discipline. My daughter did not respond to that form so I had to get more creative. Managed to raise a wonderful, independent, and well adjusted adult. However, it was very difficult. Worth it but difficult.
  • richied26
    richied26 Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I think child abuse makes adolescent delinquency more likely not less
  • DalekBrittany
    Options

We are talking about spanking, not child abuse. There is a difference there.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    No.

Changing one thing is not going change all that.
  • DalekBrittany
    Options
    My mother only spanked me when she lost control. It didn't stop me from becoming a rebellious teenager, either. I think the more important thing is being consistent and if you do punish your child, don't give in. A two week grounding needs to last for two weeks.

My mom usually totally just forgot we were even grounded after a week. When my fiance's cousin tells me he's grounded (he's 13) I'm like then how are you calling me on your cell phone? And how are you watching TV? And why are you even over here? Grounding nowadays does NOT mean what it did when I was a kid!
  • richied26
    Options
    What distinguishes spanking from other forms of violence? Isnt all violence abusive?
  • SmartWhatever
    SmartWhatever Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    How long til THIS gets locked??
  • jmcheatham
    Options
    I think kids learn most from good modeled behavior from the parents and is the biggest influence on their life outcomes. Sure there are times for discipline and corrective actions needed by the parents, but the punishment should be based on the actual wrong doing by the child, and not done out of anger by the parent.

In terms of punishments, the most important things are consistency, boundaries and fairness. Don't make outrageous consequences that you know isn't possible or practical to follow through with. And once the punishment has been decided on, you have to follow through with it. Otherwise they will learn that your statements on meaningless.
  • Cadori
    Options
    I think there need to be more parents who are parents instead of friends and set consistent boundaries. This does involve appropriate discipline. I personally think there are better alternatives that can teach a child in a more effective way. I have a 1 year old and a 5 year old. The younger one wouldn't understand and with the 5 year old one of the things he gets disciplined for is hitting his sister so to me it makes to sense to reinforce our no hitting policy by hitting.

Ahhh...I can't edit this. I meant to type to me it makes NO sense to reinforce a no hitting policy by hitting.
  • Lazygal53
    Lazygal53 Posts: 294 Member
    Options

Spanking IS a form of child abuse in my opinion.
  • richied26
    Options

Spanking IS a form of child abuse in my opinion.
  • richied26
    Options
    exactly!