I may be chubby BUT I run Half Marathons

Options

Replies

• Footballgirl83
    Options
    my friend and I made shirts that say "Who said chubby girls can't run?" on the front and the back with a girl running. They are pretty funny, and I can't wait to wear it to my first 10K at the end of May.
  • HeartME511healthy
    HeartME511healthy Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow MFP members and fellow runners. Have you ever gone out for a run and had people look at you and you can tell that they are thinking "Why is that person running they are over weight?" I was out training for a race a few weeks back and I got the dirtiest look from some lady walking along the path. So me the smartie pants that I am said very loud so the miserable cow could hear me "Hey I might be chubby but I can run half marathons" Yep pretty sure that made her think again before judging people!! Why is it that non runners think you have to be thin and be an elite runner just to run. I am by no means a Kenyan but I get out there. It doesnt matter if you can complete with an amazing time or if it takes you alot longer then the "AVERAGE JOE" you are getting out there and having fun (well most times having fun) And Dead Last Finish is greater then did not finish, which trumps did ntot start!!

I think that is great you are running, I don't think size should matter, I think the trip part about this too on the flip side is how do you know what she was really thinking?
  • MelodyinGa
    MelodyinGa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    my friend and I made shirts that say "Who said chubby girls can't run?" on the front and the back with a girl running. They are pretty funny, and I can't wait to wear it to my first 10K at the end of May.

Want one!!
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow MFP members and fellow runners. Have you ever gone out for a run and had people look at you and you can tell that they are thinking "Why is that person running they are over weight?" I was out training for a race a few weeks back and I got the dirtiest look from some lady walking along the path. So me the smartie pants that I am said very loud so the miserable cow could hear me "Hey I might be chubby but I can run half marathons" Yep pretty sure that made her think again before judging people!! Why is it that non runners think you have to be thin and be an elite runner just to run. I am by no means a Kenyan but I get out there. It doesnt matter if you can complete with an amazing time or if it takes you alot longer then the "AVERAGE JOE" you are getting out there and having fun (well most times having fun) And Dead Last Finish is greater then did not finish, which trumps did ntot start!!

I LOVE your attitude -- especially that last line, which is my attitude totally.

I may be the last one to finish in Crossfit, but I am there, I am not afraid to do it, and I am only there to improve myself -- not in relation to others.
  • JLBLAN
    JLBLAN Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    For those of you hesitant to enter and run a race, let me tell you something.

I run marathons, half marathons, 10k's, and 5k's and do look athletic and look like a runner. I also do not EVER judge someone on how they look. The running community is very tight and you will see every kind of person at these races. From kids to women and men in their 80's. Short, tall, fat, and thin. There is just so much support at these events. Trust me.... know one is looking at you or judging you.

Don't put pressure on yourself once you do finally sign up and line up at the starting line. People walk, run, walk and run, whatever it takes to have fun and get to that finish line.

Also......

While I was dying at mile 22 at the Rock N Roll marathon in St. Louis last October.... a 50+ year old woman with some extra pounds sailed past me and finished before me. She actually motivated me to keep it moving and get to that 26.2 mile finish!!
  • FindingMyself24
    FindingMyself24 Posts: 613 Member
    Options

You are so right!!! I love this post!! Great job!
  • Greenlola
    Greenlola Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Good for you, you go girl :)
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow MFP members and fellow runners. Have you ever gone out for a run and had people look at you and you can tell that they are thinking "Why is that person running they are over weight?" I was out training for a race a few weeks back and I got the dirtiest look from some lady walking along the path. So me the smartie pants that I am said very loud so the miserable cow could hear me "Hey I might be chubby but I can run half marathons" Yep pretty sure that made her think again before judging people!!

WTH is wrong with you?? Someone looked at you the wrong way and you react like bratty teenager?

Also, where did you learn to read minds?

Canada
  • PomegranatePriestess
    Options
    Too bad humans can't read facial expressions or body language...

tumblr_luoz314rbM1r6aoq4o1_2501_zps9fe23eb2.gif

Ah, the mystery of it all.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Too bad humans can't read facial expressions or body language...

tumblr_luoz314rbM1r6aoq4o1_2501_zps9fe23eb2.gif

Ah, the mystery of it all.

What are you talking about? I'm pretty sure she wants me.
  • VeeBethTris
    VeeBethTris Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    haters_gonna_hate3.jpg

Gazillion times this!!

GO you!
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    It took me many years to realize that not everything was about me and sometime people are just having a bad day. I prefer not to internalize others judgements and try to see it as not about me at all. Who cares what a stranger thinks anyway and I am foolish to think I will change anyones mind just by a quick lash of the tongue. It reflects more on me when I assume others are thinking the worst about me. Just hold your head up high and keep running :). You must be so proud of yourself. I love running too but have plantars faciitis which makes it hard and quite painful.
  • Denise8P
    Denise8P Posts: 23
    Options
    While I do still applaud the OP for being proud of what she accomplishes and running regardless of what anyone else thinks, some of the posts here have made me stop and really think. Sure, there are mean, nasty people out there (thin and overweight) who seem to enjoy cutting others down. However, I also think many people who have spent years overweight start to assume the worst and take every comment or glance in a negative light. That is probably a reflection of how we feel about ourselves more than anything - at least I know that is true for me.

I am going to make a concerted effort to "assume" the best in others rather than the worst. If someone proves me wrong, so be it - at least I won't be stooping to their level and passing judgment based on supposition. Time to crawl out of this fat person shell and start seeing the world as just me again :)
  • PomegranatePriestess
    Options
    What are you talking about? I'm pretty sure she wants me.

You know, I think you're right... let me be standing close by (but not too close) when you go "take her up on it."
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Personally, I never experienced that when I started running, 35 pounds ago, and I have received nothing but support and kindness from the running community. I only wish everyone had the kind of wonderful experiences I have.

When I see people of any shape or size out running, I think one of the following:

1) gawd I wish that was me
    2) wow look at that awesome running form
    3) wow she/he's working REALLY hard!

Be proud of yourself that you are out there doing it!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    For those of you hesitant to enter and run a race, let me tell you something.

I run marathons, half marathons, 10k's, and 5k's and do look athletic and look like a runner. I also do not EVER judge someone on how they look. The running community is very tight and you will see every kind of person at these races. From kids to women and men in their 80's. Short, tall, fat, and thin. There is just so much support at these events. Trust me.... know one is looking at you or judging you.

Don't put pressure on yourself once you do finally sign up and line up at the starting line. People walk, run, walk and run, whatever it takes to have fun and get to that finish line.

Also......

While I was dying at mile 22 at the Rock N Roll marathon in St. Louis last October.... a 50+ year old woman with some extra pounds sailed past me and finished before me. She actually motivated me to keep it moving and get to that 26.2 mile finish!!
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Love your post OP! See you on the road!
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    I really wish I had been there GillyBeanz!
  • kristenmagers
    Options
    hooray for the chubby runners!
  • kristenmagers
    Options
    :)