For Women: Do you exercise during your menstrual period?

Options

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Yes.

What I don't do is read silly internet articles telling me what I should or shouldn't do.
  • xxxTiaxxx
    xxxTiaxxx Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Nope. Only because I'm too busy crying. I'm very emotional lol. Plus the first couple days is pretty painful at times
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    This is for real? ....... even with all the pain yes
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    For you women who have terrible periods that cause you agonizing pain, leaving you near bedridden - do you take a week off of work every month? Are you able to drive your kids to school or pick up groceries?

I guess I just have a normal period (and I'l probably get flamed for even posting this), but I find it hard to believe that there are that many women cooped up in their houses bleeding all over the place and crying in pain every cycle.

(and I get that there are some women with legit medical stuff going on, it just seems like a lot of women say they have the worst periods ever).

I have a friend who had to take off an entire week of work everytime her period came along.. she was diagnosed many years later with MS and Endometriosis. Now she has taken fitness more seriously and exercises everyday. That's why I have very little sympathy for people who say they have "the worst periods ever" sans medical problems...

yeah some people do have them that bad. it's real for some.
  • jennydoesketo
    jennydoesketo Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yes I do! I'm lucky though... no cramps or anything just occasional soreness/tenderness.
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    Yep. Helps with cramps. Also, makes me feel a little better about myself. I get so bloated and feel fat during TOM. Exercise makes me feel better mentally.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    For you women who have terrible periods that cause you agonizing pain, leaving you near bedridden - do you take a week off of work every month? Are you able to drive your kids to school or pick up groceries?

I guess I just have a normal period (and I'l probably get flamed for even posting this), but I find it hard to believe that there are that many women cooped up in their houses bleeding all over the place and crying in pain every cycle.

(and I get that there are some women with legit medical stuff going on, it just seems like a lot of women say they have the worst periods ever).

I've missed exams and had to leave school due to the crippling cramps I experience. I have even landed in the hospital, been anemic and treated for harmone imbalance. Ive even been placed on birth controls to help with my cramps and regulate my cycle. Even with your lack of empathy I wouldn't wish my pain upon you. I believe that due to the intense pain I experience at that TOM God gave me an irregular cycle so at times it skips a month or two.

You asking about taking kids to school? Lol funny life goes on and for me it's not a constant 24hr pain and it's not always for all days. I do try to workout when the pain killers and heat packs kick in. Not all women have it easy be a little more sympathetic.

Wow, jeez. I said I understand that some women have legit medical stuff going on.

Unfortunately when you speak the truth, there will be critics.. they'll sudden post about how they have medical problems or defend those who have medical problems. Not many are in that situation. I'd just ignore people who can't read
  • candymara
    candymara Posts: 49
    Options

Yeah I see what you are saying here, and I'm not sure if some are maybe ignoring the potential that they could have a serious medical issue or not.

To everyone else:
    If anyone who posted here has a period so bad it requires you to take time off work or can barely function and are unable to get out of bed and you haven't seen a doctor about it, please do! As for myself, it's a legit and diagnosed medical issue.

In October 2012 I was hospitalized during my period due to my fibroid. Again in February of this year.. but I realize I'm an exception and not a rule. I highly doubt there are many (if any) other women on this thread who have the same severe issues I have. In fact my doctors are fairly certain that my pre-existing health issues are part of the reason my fibroid has gotten to the state it has gotten to.

It wasn't always this bad for me during my period, either. I would suggest to other women if it is this bad for you, or increasingly more painful with each period you should really see a doctor. Mine used to be a normal experience each month before this 'tumor' showed up last summer.

This isn't how it's supposed to be each month :( It would be sad to know that some of you could have undiagnosed concerns... don't brush it off as "just my time of the month" if it's that bad.

<3
    (typed in love, not instigating anything here!)
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I do, but I sometimes take it easier as my energy levels and muscle fatigue are definitely sub-par during that time.

I also just wanted to add, before I started using the BC pill, my cramps and nausea were so bad I did indeed have to take time out of school to stay home the first two days every month. And there wasn't anything medically wrong with me, that's just how some people, unfortunately, experience it. I think quite a few women who've never had this kind of mentrual pain don't seem to understand beyond their own experience and "don't see how" a woman could use it as an excuse. Not ALL women who don't get bad pain are like this, that's not what I'm trying to say either :tongue:
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I do.
  • LauraJo08
    LauraJo08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I exercise every day while menstruating. In fact, it's pretty much a requirement on the first day, because that's the only way my cramps will go away.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I do.

If you don't feel like you can handle it, then just be very mindful of your eating that week and make sure you're logging everything accurately. I mean, you should do that all the time, but especially on days when you can't/choose not to get a workout in.
  • jelk8881
    jelk8881 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I usually skip the first and maybe the second day because of it being really heavy. But the rest of the days I do exercise.
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Hell yeah!

Mine comes every 23-24 days and I don't see that time of the month as any different. It's just something you deal with a couple times a day. Actually, I used to get debilitating cramps but having kids fixed those for me (thank goodness, as I used to be in tears at times, they were so bad).
  • missymakayla
    missymakayla Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Yes, I feel that taking a long walk helps me with the cramping....
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    You burn around 15-20% more fat during your cycle.
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I generally skip the first day because I always feel pukey and weak :yawn: . But I do workout same as usual other then that :smile:
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    The only days that I miss are the SUPER heavy days. I have a problem with that so sometimes I just do it anyway as I'd feel too guilty if I skipped more than two days.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Always! It makes me feel sooo much better.
  • m76b
    m76b Posts: 1,498 Member
    Options
    yup!! insanity + period ----> me insane