• katiwagner
    katiwagner Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    bumping to read on more later
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    This is my usual response when people go on about the evils of sugar:
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-science-of-nutrition-is-a-carb-a-carb.html
    It cites a good few scientific studies for reference.

>>A meta-analysis and systematic review also supported these findings and concluded that the effects on health markers were dependent on their initial values. Low glycemic load diets are good for your health if you’re initially unhealthy (like obese or diabetic), but in healthy populations there was no effect. This is an example of a ceiling effect. You can’t fix what isn’t broken, so if you’re already healthy, eating ‘healthy’ foods at some point stops making you even healthier.

If you’re lean, watch your diet and are physically active, it’s safe to say you belong in the healthy category and the glycemic load of your diet has no considerable effect on your health.<<
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

>>A meta-analysis and systematic review also supported these findings and concluded that the effects on health markers were dependent on their initial values. Low glycemic load diets are good for your health if you’re initially unhealthy (like obese or diabetic), but in healthy populations there was no effect. This is an example of a ceiling effect. You can’t fix what isn’t broken, so if you’re already healthy, eating ‘healthy’ foods at some point stops making you even healthier.

If you’re lean, watch your diet and are physically active, it’s safe to say you belong in the healthy category and the glycemic load of your diet has no considerable effect on your health.<<

For now...but everyone gets old and why not enter old age with healthier habits? It will help to stave off the ravages of "old age". Everyone exclaims that I look 20 years younger than my age since I lost weight and nod respectfully when I mention exercise and will often comment on exercise being essential for "keeping you young". But I often then smile and say, "Well, I also watch what I eat and try to eat as healthfully as I can. I am a lifetime vegetable eater too. I cut out sugar and junk food three years ago." Then I watch as their eyes glaze over and they say, "Oh, I could never do that. I have to have my *fill in the blank with some sugary junk*." I think to myself, that they would if they knew the benefits---but then again, maybe not. *shrug* :ohwell:
  • geebusuk
    Options
    For now...but everyone gets old and why not enter old age with healthier habits?
    Healthier habits like keeping fit by exercising, so the body copes with eating the food I like?
    ;)

Some years ago I did a day's paragliding training as a Birthday present to myself.
    A couple there who were 'eco-veggies' criticised me for using a gym and told me I should make use of the outdoors for my exercise.
    I was the only one that day that got a decent bit of air time - basically because I could fast and hard off the hill, as there was very little wind. Both of them failed to get the speed required and up and if I were them, I'd have been disappointed (frankly they should have moved us to a better location with a bit of wind.)

One of the things that prompted me to get fitter was my mum pointing out that if my grandparents had been fitter they may well have not suffered from dementia so much.

Do you have any scientific backup regarding your diet being the reason you look younger?
  • Ravepixie87
    Options
    I havnt read it but it sounds alot like how I eat, fresh natural produce as much as possible. I do sometimes treat myself but if you eat well and nourish your body the odd treat wont affect it, its only if it becomes a bad habit hen it will.

I hate how everyone advocates "eat what you like as long as its in your calorie goal". I mean seriously? Eat for health not just weight loss!
  • nc805397
    nc805397 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    OP: I AGREE 100%. I saw this video yesterday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=U36XJaETbh8

It's about exactly what you just wrote about, and I kept thinking about the sink analogy!!! I think this is my motivation to eat better!!!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

For now...but everyone gets old and why not enter old age with healthier habits? It will help to stave off the ravages of "old age". Everyone exclaims that I look 20 years younger than my age since I lost weight and nod respectfully when I mention exercise and will often comment on exercise being essential for "keeping you young". But I often then smile and say, "Well, I also watch what I eat and try to eat as healthfully as I can. I am a lifetime vegetable eater too. I cut out sugar and junk food three years ago." Then I watch as their eyes glaze over and they say, "Oh, I could never do that. I have to have my *fill in the blank with some sugary junk*." I think to myself, that they would if they knew the benefits---but then again, maybe not. *shrug* :ohwell:

Gee, isn't that interesting. We are soooo similar in some ways. Like you, I am in my 60's. People always think I am 20 years younger and ask me how do it. I tell them I pretty much eat what I want, try to eat healthy but have whatever treats I want as long as they fit in my eating plan.

They ask me what I mean and I tell them I eat according to a calorie goal for the day and protein, carb and fat targets. Within that structure I eat what I want. They usually say they think they might be able to do that. could I show them how I'm doing it? Of course,I say.

Then they ask me if I exercise a lot? I tell them only 3 time a week most weeks. Sometimes only 2. They say, really? I think I could do that.

Then they ask me if my doctor says I'm healthy? I tell them I only see him once a year for my annual physical and he emails me my blood work. Overall cholesterol is under 200, LDL is low, HDL is high, blood sugar is low. Been the same for a long time.

Some people ask me if I could help them do the same thing. Sure, I tell them. They are seeing results. They are not eliminating anything because most people don't need to as most haven't damaged their metabolism with years of bad choices earlier in life. Some have but not most. Most just need to control their calories and balance their macros.

I wonder which one us changes more lives for the better?

Well, interesting discussion but I'm off to have a piece of cheesecake for dessert. Have a nice day! :drinker:
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    For now...but everyone gets old and why not enter old age with healthier habits?
    Healthier habits like keeping fit by exercising, so the body copes with eating the food I like?
    ;)

Some years ago I did a day's paragliding training as a Birthday present to myself.
    A couple there who were 'eco-veggies' criticised me for using a gym and told me I should make use of the outdoors for my exercise.
    I was the only one that day that got a decent bit of air time - basically because I could fast and hard off the hill, as there was very little wind. Both of them failed to get the speed required and up and if I were them, I'd have been disappointed (frankly they should have moved us to a better location with a bit of wind.)

One of the things that prompted me to get fitter was my mum pointing out that if my grandparents had been fitter they may well have not suffered from dementia so much.

Do you have any scientific backup regarding your diet being the reason you look younger?

There's a lot of research being done now on the phytonutrients and their ability to stave off the ravages of aging. Many researchers feel that aging itself is a type of disease. From the lycopene in tomatoes which keeps bones strong, to the quercetin in onions and apples, an anti-inflammatory that cuts the risk of Alzheimers to CVD--they all work synergistically to optimize health. And a healthy person is a younger-looking more vigorous person. Cancer patients--even those in their forties---often age tremendous amounts in a very short period of time. Physicians of the past would often be able to judge a patient's health status just by looking at him/her. Now, unfortunately they rely solely on various tests, which will often not reveal the truth of someone's health status. Medical tests are fine to nail down the cause of someone's distress but they are insufficient for predicting who will succumb to a disease in short order because they have nutritional deficiencies. The stories of someone leaving a doctor's office with a clean bill of health and dropping dead on the sidewalk outside are, unfortunately, true.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    All the old people I know who have maintained their health are the ones that are active and have maintained their weight and muscle mass. I know a lot of old people (and people who are not old) who eat nothing but "whole" foods and whatnot but are not active and are either fat or suffer from some associated disease.

In my opinion and experience, maintaining activity and body composition are by far the most important things you can do.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

They are not eliminating anything because most people don't need to as most haven't damaged their metabolism with years of bad choices earlier in life. Some have but not most. Most just need to control their calories and balance their macros.

Well good for you mamapags. You may have won the genetic sweepstakes. Not everyone is so fortunate. My inheritance is just not great but I work with what I have. I notice that you put a caveat on your statement, "...most people don't need to [eliminate a food] as most people haven't damaged their metabolism with years of bad choices earlier in life..." Would you elaborate on what you think this means, please?
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    All the old people I know who have maintained their health are the ones that are active and have maintained their weight and muscle mass. I know a lot of old people (and people who are not old) who eat nothing but "whole" foods and whatnot but are not active and are either fat or suffer from some associated disease.

In my opinion and experience, maintaining activity and body composition are by far the most important things you can do.

I agree that exercise is essential for good health, but it is hard to deny that good nutrition is a part of the health equation. Do you?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

I agree that exercise is essential for good health, but it is hard to deny that good nutrition is a part of the health equation. Do you?

We define "good nutrition" differently.

I agree that good nutrition is essential. I like to keep things simple. Here are my maxims, that really seem to work for everyone I see who follows them:

1) Eat appropriate quantities of the macronutrients
    2) Make sure to get a couple servings of veggies a day.
    3) Achieve/maintain a healthy weight with good body composition
    4) Get at least an hour of cardio a week
    5) Do resistance training of some kind

That's it. There's so much more to worry and stress over in life to make this any more complicated than that.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

I agree that good nutrition is essential. I like to keep things simple. Here are my maxims, that really seem to work for everyone I see who follows them:

That's it. There's so much more to worry and stress over in life to make this any more complicated than that.

I do all of those. I don't think we are very different in that respect. I just don't eat sucrose and wheat because they place a burden on my efforts.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I'm a clean eater. I do it for my health. It's easier to maintain a diet for weight loss eating clean for a multitude of reasons, but you can overeat clean food as well. You still have to eat an amount of calories that's right for your metabolism.
  • mmapags
    Options

They are not eliminating anything because most people don't need to as most haven't damaged their metabolism with years of bad choices earlier in life. Some have but not most. Most just need to control their calories and balance their macros.

Well good for you mamapags. You may have won the genetic sweepstakes. Not everyone is so fortunate. My inheritance is just not great but I work with what I have. I notice that you put a caveat on your statement, "...most people don't need to [eliminate a food] as most people haven't damaged their metabolism with years of bad choices earlier in life..." Would you elaborate on what you think this means, please?
    I'd be happy to elaborate. Most have not gotten morbidly obese by overindulging in all foods. Healthy and not. Some have. It really as simple as that. For the majority (those that haven't but have gotten out of shape and a little overweight over the years) a moderate exercise program, managing calories and macronutrients will dramatically improve health. For some, they will need to repair the damage they did through years of willful ignorance and/or neglect of basic health concepts.

You have been working at improving the damage you did for 62 years by taking drastic measures over the last 3 years. You are the exception. That colors your perception dramatically. Thus you paint every situation as the same as yours. When the only tool you posses is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

As for me and others, I have maintained a reasonable diet and exercise for years. Sometimes more diligently, sometimes less. I believe more people are like me than you. For those people it's simple:
    Move more
    Eat less
    Mind your macros.

Lol, and no, I didn't win any genetic sweepstakes. I just didn't spend most of my life screwing up what I had. I ate reasonable well and got a decent amount of activity. That's all. It really isn't that complicated. Just a few simple things for a loooong time.

You are the exception not me.
  • geebusuk
    Options
    The article I linked to suggests that it's not as important to take it nearly as seriously as many do.
  • mmapags
    Options

Seems to be a reoccurring theme.
  • mmapags
    Options

I do all of those. I don't think we are very different in that respect. I just don't eat sucrose and wheat because they place a burden on my efforts.
    [/quote
    I do. And have absolutely no ill effects by any reasonable measure. I must be a unicorn??
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

[/quote
    I do. And have absolutely no ill effects by any reasonable measure. I must be a unicorn??

Well...at least that you know of. One big difference between us is that you are a man and I am a woman. Men, it appears, can abuse their health without immediate effect more than women can and do. Men smoke more, drink harder and...generally die younger. But as for the weight issues. It is much harder for women to lose body fat than it is for men. There have been several peer-reviewed research papers recently that points to the differences. There is a lot of research being done on health gender differences. One of the differences is leptin resistance. Women are much more prone to it because they produce 2 to 3 times the amount of leptin AT THE SAME LEVEL OF BODY FAT AS A MAN. This is very significant. Childbearing and lactation have a profound effect on fat storage as well.

I simply do not need to sabotage my weight loss efforts with foods that are not health-building.
  • mmapags
    Options

[/quote

Well...at least that you know of. One big difference between us is that you are a man and I am a woman. Men, it appears, can abuse their health without immediate effect more than women can and do. Men smoke more, drink harder and...generally die younger. But as for the weight issues. It is much harder for women to lose body fat than it is for men. There have been several peer-reviewed research papers recently that points to the differences. There is a lot of research being done on health gender differences. One of the differences is leptin resistance. Women are much more prone to it because they produce 2 to 3 times the amount of leptin AT THE SAME LEVEL OF BODY FAT AS A MAN. This is very significant. Childbearing and lactation have a profound effect on fat storage as well.

I simply do not need to sabotage my weight loss efforts with foods that are not health-building.

You are inventive at finding excuses! There are many women here that do just fine with IIFYM.