Is it okay to eat fruit past 8pm?

Options

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    night eating packs on pounds. My cut off time is 7pm..... The scale notices!

Please be kidding.

Seriously? This is so silly. I eat most of my food in the evening and I always make sure not to go to bed on an empty stomach, since I sleep better with a little something in my tum. Night eating has never caused me any problems and I've been on the slim side my entire life. This has got to be one of those diet myths that just won't die...

P.S. I know a lady (much younger than my old self) who has struggled with her weight and dieting and all that nonsense her whole life. She NEVER eats past 5:30 pm and she has done this for over 15 years. Old, useless habits die hard I guess. She still swears by it, although she has no results to show for it. I can't see that it has helped her in the slightest. WHEN you eat doesn't matter much. It's HOW MUCH you eat that matters.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    As long as you are in a consistent calorie deficit it doesn't matter when you eat.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    as long as you don't go to bed for a while after, you're body functions more slowly while asleep (including digestion), especially if you lay on your side . I wouldn't worry too much though because fruit is nutritious and also relatively low calorie, not the same as eating a steak dinner :)

Now there's a new one.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    lol not its not ok to eat ANYTHING after 8pm. it sits in your stomach and as you sleep your body spends time breaking that down instead of breaking down your fat because believe it or not you burn calories while you sleep

lol. no.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Your stomach can't tell time.

I eat right up until I go to bed. I'd eat IN bed if wasn't for the crumbs.
  • shorty458
    shorty458 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    No, eating fruit a second later than 7:59PM turns you into a Gremlin.

Truestory.

I thought it was after midnight? :)
  • carini_wini
    carini_wini Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Really O.o? I literally just learned that your body puts ATP into temporary reserves and after about eight hours or so if it is not used up it is deposited as fat for long-term storage.. therefore if you eat sleep directly after it (even though sleeping and just existing does burn calories) you'd have a surplus of ATP which your body assumes you don't need immediately.

And from what I understand, sugars/monosaccarides/carbohydrates all go through glycolysis/krebs cycle/oxidative phosphorylation as well as proteins and lipids (though they join in at a later point)... so it shouldn't matter what you eat it all ultimately gets converted into ATP in one way or another which would be stored (converted?) long-term as fat if there was a surplus of ATP (energy).

I'm not saying "No you're wrong, it's not a myth," I'm legitimately curious as to what made you think it was a myth? My current understanding supports it, but university-level bio isn't necessarily the most reliable source xD and I'd love to be corrected now rather than keep this knowledge into a medical career and find that I was misinformed.
  • octobernightfall
    octobernightfall Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    at the beginning of my fitness journey, my cutoff time used to be 7 pm, it definitely made me seem less bloated the next morning, but then I simply started eating if I was hungry ( and this was still within my calorie intake limit)....I've lost 30 lbs so far! So...here's what I think, EAT if you're HUNGRY. :)
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    No, eating fruit a second later than 7:59PM turns you into a Gremlin.

Truestory.

I thought it was after midnight? :)

depends on the timezone. Gremlins function on GMT.
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Eating anything after 8pm is known to make a human spontaneously combust.

tumblr_mjvejisZGi1rwuxpzo1_500.jpg
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I want to eat some pineapples or honeydew melon slices or maybe an apple but idk if its okay considering that its late.

If it's within your caloric intake and it fits your macro nutrient goals, why not? Nothing magic happens at night. I'd personally go with the lower glycemic food, i.e. the apple but in the end it's not that big a deal.
  • lobo_a_gogo
    lobo_a_gogo Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie any time of the day, doesn't matter when you eat it for getting healthy purposes.

However, eating later in the evening CAN affect your sleep, so if you already experience trouble sleeping, try to not eat an hour or two before bedtime, particularly junk food.

I don't think a little fruit before bed will kill you, though, homie.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else says, as long as you are within your calorie goal, meal timing doesn't matter. Hell even if you're a mogwai, eating after 8pm won't turn you into a gremlin. That's only if you eat after midnight.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Really O.o? I literally just learned that your body puts ATP into temporary reserves and after about eight hours or so if it is not used up it is deposited as fat for long-term storage.. therefore if you eat sleep directly after it (even though sleeping and just existing does burn calories) you'd have a surplus of ATP which your body assumes you don't need immediately.

And from what I understand, sugars/monosaccarides/carbohydrates all go through glycolysis/krebs cycle/oxidative phosphorylation as well as proteins and lipids (though they join in at a later point)... so it shouldn't matter what you eat it all ultimately gets converted into ATP in one way or another which would be stored (converted?) long-term as fat if there was a surplus of ATP (energy).

I'm not saying "No you're wrong, it's not a myth," I'm legitimately curious as to what made you think it was a myth? My current understanding supports it, but university-level bio isn't necessarily the most reliable source xD and I'd love to be corrected now rather than keep this knowledge into a medical career and find that I was misinformed.

That is why you exercise. To burn your surplus of ATP, even if it's temporarily stored - because you get up the next day and move around and use it. In light of this, really it doesn't matter what time you eat. Your body isn't regulated by a clock or a calendar. It follows it's own circadian rhythms, so meal timing has very little to do with fat storage.

To go along with popular thinking it's ok to eat the fruit before bed. Enjoy!
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    If you have the calories left and are hungry - eat!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    lol not its not ok to eat ANYTHING after 8pm. it sits in your stomach and as you sleep your body spends time breaking that down instead of breaking down your fat because believe it or not you burn calories while you sleep

This is 100% a myth.
    No, it's true! This is how you can produce free energy from the vacuum and turn a human body into a perpetual motion machine.

Okay okay... I'm not a scientist... but what you're saying is, if I stop eating after 8pm, I'll never have to sleep?
    If you eat after 8PM, the energy from the food fuels your body during the night... and then during the day your body doesn't have that fuel so it pulls energy from the aether instead.

Right this is common knowledge...and when your body does not have fuel it goes into starvation mode which can only be reversed by drinking one gallon of raspberry ketones...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I want to eat some pineapples or honeydew melon slices or maybe an apple but idk if its okay considering that its late.

If it's within your caloric intake and it fits your macro nutrient goals, why not? Nothing magic happens at night. I'd personally go with the lower glycemic food, i.e. the apple but in the end it's not that big a deal.

nothing magic happens at night? I thought that was when Santa, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, et al come out???? My dreams have been shattered....
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I eat 1000+ calories in dinner and evening snacks a couple of hours before bedtime and it hasn't hurt me any.
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Why the hell wouldn't it be okay?
  • egarrett8911
    Options

This is 100% a myth.
    No, it's true! This is how you can produce free energy from the vacuum and turn a human body into a perpetual motion machine.

Okay okay... I'm not a scientist... but what you're saying is, if I stop eating after 8pm, I'll never have to sleep?
    If you eat after 8PM, the energy from the food fuels your body during the night... and then during the day your body doesn't have that fuel so it pulls energy from the aether instead.

Right this is common knowledge...and when your body does not have fuel it goes into starvation mode which can only be reversed by drinking one gallon of raspberry ketones...

Okay... It's starting to come together... But I've heard that if you don't drink the raspberry ketones in 8 oz increments the excess fluits will automatically turn into fat molecules. Is this true? Or is it okay to drink the gallon all at once?