Crock Pot Recipes MINUS the canned cream soups...

Options

Replies

• highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    What is the reason your kids can't eat them? Celiac or some other food allergy?

why does it matter?

Maybe just to offer recipes tht don't include the offensive ingredient. If it's gluten, she can still have cream, if it's dairy she can still have gluten. A lot of recipes call for "cream of" soups so it would be easy to recommend a recipe knowing but I'm sure the asker won't be offended if OP doesn't answer LOL
  • GreenMonkey8
    GreenMonkey8 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You can cook a whole chicken in the slow cooker. Just take a whole, thawed chicken and rinse it and pat dry. Then rub the outside and inner cavity with salt--and be sure to fill the cavity with a quartered onion and some garlic cloves (or anything, really. I sometimes use lemons and/or oranges or an apple). Tie the legs and tuck the wings under. Place on top of some crumpled balls of aluminum foil and cook on high for 4 to 6 hours. Voila! Tender roast chicken dinner. It smells really good while it cooks, too.

FYI, you can use the same technique for turkey (depending on size or cut).

Serve with steamed vegetables and a side salad. Dinner's ready!

:smile:
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I make regular meatloaf and use a gravy mix with less water for the liquid. It keeps it super moist!
  • chaoticgeek
    chaoticgeek Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Could you not sub the canned soups for something in a similar flavor profile? From what I know they are basically just a milk based roux that has flavors added. For instance cream of mushroom is basically just mushrooms, salt, pepper, flour (or some other starch), some fat (butter or some oil you prefer) and milk then thickened.

I did not save it but I saw an article once about making a flour/spice base that the person could use to make a roux and then add milk, stock, or water to make a condensed soup version that had less salt and was not processed.

I'd try something like 1/4 c flour, 1/4 c butter, and 1.5 - 2 c of a liquid, milk or stock, or just plain water. flavor it with what ever spices and then use that as the canned soup base. It would provide liquid and the starch to make the sauce.

Simple roux instructions, melt butter in a pan until there is no water left (gives a nutty smell and a slight foam forums). Add the flour and make sure it is coated by the fat and cooked. The longer it cooks the less thickening power it will have but the more flavor it will have. More of the longer cooked rue to thicken the same as a lighter rue. Add in liquid and simmer until thickened.

There is a Good Eats episode where Alton Brown goes over rouxs fairly nicely but I can't remember it. But the formula for a roux is fairly simple, equal parts flour and fat cook until the flour is done then add in liquid and simmer.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    There's no mystery to using the crockpot. There's truly no way to screw it up. They're like little convection ovens, but you add liquid instead of dry-roasting as convection ovens do.

Basically, you need a main ingredient (meat), chopped veggies (although not necessary), and a liquid (water, stock, dissolved bouillon, canned soup, skim milk, packaged instant soup (Lipton onion or other), canned tomatoes with their liquid, etc.).

For a thicker recipe (stews or cream soups or most pasta-based casseroles) or to make a gravy with your main dish, toss in some flour (gluten-free for reg.), cornstarch, or instant tapioca.

Add lentils of choice if desired. Dry lentils will require more liquid to soften them. Canned lentils, not so much.

Single mains (such as whole chickens or pork/beef roasts) require liquid only, but again, if you want a gravy base, see above. If making pork/beef roasts in the crockpot, it's best to sear them first on the stovetop for a nice outer crust.

Add seasonings of choice, stir, put the lid on, and cook according to thickness of meat. You really can't overcook anything in a crockpot as long as tyou added enough liquid, but on average, 4-5 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low works fine for most recipes..
  • petechiae
    petechiae Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Bump for later! Thank you!
  • niekkosgirl
    niekkosgirl Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify:

---My five year has a milk intolerance, so he's not allergic, but we have to watch the quantity of dairy products he gets in a day and he can't drink it. He drinks lactose free milk or almond milk.

---We try to eat as cleanly and unprocessed as possible, (I say "as possible" with the caveat being that my husband and I both work full time ;) ).

---We've also cut out artificial colors, flavors, preservatives, sweeteners, and MSG (which is harder than you think because it can labeled under over 40 different names!) as much as we can (especially in their diets). We're also focusing on these things due to some behavioral issues.

---And if that weren't constricting enough already, my husband does not tolerate onion powder, reconstituted or dehydrated onion in the mixes, powders, and sauces you can buy.

I appreciate the question; I just didn't want to make it less likely that people would want to post a response with ALL of these restrictions. :)

Typically, I can make substitutions for the items listed above; I really wanted to see if anyone had quick and easy crock pots recipes that could still be quick and easy minus the soup. :)

Thanks for all of the concern and for your tasty responses!!!

:blushing:
  • lisa799
    lisa799 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I love using the crock pot on nights where we know we want a long workout or we won't be home until later in the evening. I also don't like cream soups...here are few good ones (I always modify the ingredients to get the macros/calorie counts/lower sodium content, etc. that I want):

Balsamic Glazed Pork (I use the balsamic glaze from this on on EVERYTHING, lol!)

http://www.candcmarriagefactory.com/2011/01/brown-sugar-and-balsamic-glazed-pork.html

Honey Sesame Chicken

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/02/crock-pot-sesame-honey-chicken.html

I also love to do "Taco Soup" - I just wing it...tomatoes, corn, black beans, meat if you want it, other veggies, spices, a cup of tomato sauce/puree and some water. Yum.

Lumberjackie Soup (Shape Magazine)

This vegan soup is an amazing way to enjoy winter root vegetables. Plus, it's packed with vitamins and antioxidants to help you fend off winter colds. "This recipe was created while on a camping trip when we threw whatever we had into a pot and slow cooked it over the fire for hours—it came out wonderfully so I've used this recipe many times over the years," says Chef Lauren Hooks of Lithe Foods.

Ingredients:
    7 1/2 cups rutabaga
    6 cups carrots
    1 1/2 cups celery
    1 1/2 cups mushrooms
    6 cups fresh spinach
    2 cups cooked chickpeas (roast them for 15-20 minutes at 350 degrees)
    5 teaspoons garlic powder
    6 teaspoons black pepper
    1 cup organic Dijon mustard
    3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
    3 teaspoons sea salt
    2 low-sodium vegetable bullion cubes
    18 cups water

Directions:
    Roughly chop rutabaga, carrots, celery, and mushrooms. Place vegetables in slow cooker with water, precooked chickpeas, garlic powder, black pepper, Dijon mustard, extra virgin olive oil, sea salt, and vegetable bullion cubes. Cook in Slow Cooker for approximately 6 hours (or until rutabaga and carrots are soft).

Finish by adding in fresh spinach, allow to cook down, and stir to incorporate into soup.

This recipe yields approx 21 cups (great for freezing and reheating or for feeding a crowd).
  • ladylucksummer
    Options
    Slow Cooker Vegetarian Minestrone

Rated:
    Submitted By: laura
    Photo By: lutzflcat
    Prep Time: 20 Minutes
    Cook Time: 6 Hours 15 Minutes
    Ready In: 6 Hours 35 Minutes
    Servings: 8
    "Easy vegetarian minestrone soup simmered in the slow cooker is loaded with vegetables and macaroni for a warm weeknight dinner."
    INGREDIENTS:
    6 cups vegetable broth
    1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
    1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 ribs celery, diced
    2 large carrots, diced
    1 cup green beans
    1 small zucchini
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
    1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
    1 teaspoon salt
    3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black
    pepper
    1/2 cup elbow macaroni
    4 cups chopped fresh spinach
    1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese,
    or more to taste
    DIRECTIONS:
    1. Combine vegetable broth, tomatoes, kidney beans, onion, celery, carrots, green beans, zucchini, garlic, parsley, oregano, salt, thyme, and black pepper in a 6-quart slow cooker.
    2. Cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours.
    3. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook elbow macaroni in the boiling water, stirring occasionally until cooked through but firm to the bite, 8 minutes; drain.
    4. Stir spinach and macaroni into minestrone; cook another 15 minutes. Top with Parmesan cheese.
    ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2013 Allrecipes.com Printed from Allrecipes.com 4/25/2013
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    http://nomnompaleo.com/post/4807547385/slow-cooker-roast-chicken-and-gravy

She also does a kalua pork in the slow cooker that is really good.

I make pepperoncini beef a lot. 2.5-3 lb chuck roast, 16 oz jar of pepperoncini peppers, cook on low for 8-12 hours, served on baked sweet potatoes with ghee or coconut oil. It's really good, and my kids love it.
  • TiaFerrera
    Options
    Knorr Homestyle Stock can be found with the other soup bases. They are AMAZING and low cal, mix one with whatever vegetables (and meat if you want) and call amazing.
  • vfowlergt
    vfowlergt Posts: 15
    Options
    bump for later. Always looking for more crock pot recipes!
  • princessnik7
    princessnik7 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Well I have learned depending on what you are cooking most meats will make their own juices. I like to take a whole chicken season it with lemon pepper and lemon juice and let it cook 4 hours on high if i'm home, 8 hours on low if going to work and when i open the pot it is super tender and juicy, with broth from the chicken.
  • stuffyknee
    stuffyknee Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Check out A Year Of Crockpotting: http://stephanieodea.com/
    You can find EVERYTHING on here, sweet to savory, carnivore to vegan, gluten free to grain-filled.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    yum, yum. Saving for later
  • Ashkea76
    Ashkea76 Posts: 7,143 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/758287-crocktober-break-out-your-crock-pot-recipes-for-october

I found a TON of crockpot recipes on this thread- it rolled twice too...so check it out..and scroll through the recipes.
  • kbugsmeemaw
    kbugsmeemaw Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    bump
  • katiwagner
    katiwagner Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    What is the reason your kids can't eat them? Celiac or some other food allergy?

why does it matter?

snark.

perhaps so they know not to recommend certain recipes?