Gym teacher makes 9th Graders do Insanity Workout

Options

Replies

• Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Whatever I say its great..They don't have to keep up with the full intensity of the workout, but I sure does expose them to a beautiful future..

That Gym teacher should be commended
  • DancingDreams1234
    Options
    I don't think that is a big deal, at all. It's good to train younger kids, and make them work hard because nowadays all kids do is sit on the sofa watching t.v. When I was in 8th grade l I had one hour and a 15 minutes of intense cardio five times a week for our P.E. The teachers are simply challenging the students, which is totally acceptable.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I would not have a problem with one of my children doing a cardio workout in P.E?
  • Establishedn1986
    Establishedn1986 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I think this is a brilliant idea! Most kids are lazy and don't want to do anything in gym class! I think I will make a suggestion to the schools in my area.
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Good! I wish they did that at every school. I take my daughters to the park regularly and half the time there are middle schoolers on the playground for p.e.!! Wtf is that?! My toddlers run (half for play, half for practicing the sport) more than those kids. Its ridiculous.
  • honey_bee_keysha
    honey_bee_keysha Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great idea. As long as the children are monitored then I see no problem with it. I only wish they had Insanity in P.E when I was a kid.
  • M______
    M______ Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I think its a good thing, especially in this day and age. It just sounds like PE is PE again. Not "lets play sports."
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I agree P.E. teachers should design a workout program that is suitable for kids. Doing Insanity or P90X is ridiculous especially without the parents contest.

This is what I've thought for years...teach kids how to go from the couch to being in shape and include sports in that plan.
  • Thewatcher_66
    Thewatcher_66 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Just found out that my friend's daughter who is 14 years old had to do an Insanity workout at school this past Friday. Apparently the gym teacher made all the students do this very demanding workout. This is crazy especially since this is a workout program for people 18 years or older. The teacher didn't even ask the parents permission to teach this workout program!!

As you can imagine the kids were struggling after 2 minutes of doing Insanity. Also the teacher plans to do more programs.

Don't get me wrong kids needs physical activity but extreme programs are not appropriate for kids.

My friend is going to meet with the principal of the school to discuss this issue.

Are there any parents out there who kids are doing Insanity or P90X in school?

This is not an appropriate workout for teenagers. In fact, the only people who should do Insanity are those who are old enough to make that decision on their own. Most school gyms have basketball, volleyball, hockey, along with baseball and track, etc. If one of these kids has a heart condition that is undetected (and that's been known to happen), and he/she falls dead of a heart attack, there's going to be hell to pay. I agree with you. The idea of Insanity for 9th graders is literally INSANE!
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    For all the people that keep throwing out the - anyone starting a workout program should be cleared by a physician first - as a reason the kids should not be doing Insanity, every school district we have ever been in required a physical yearly before school started, by a physician. Doesn't that cover this requirement? The doctors already note which children have asthma and other issues that can prevent them from fully engaging in certain activities.

Yes, also, 504s/IEPs/the like will cover a lot if the children can not participate.
  • Power_Man77
    Power_Man77 Posts: 207
    Options
    Do you really think it's the parents being jealous? Really? Insanity is free on youtube..

Really? All of it? I will have to check it out. I spend enough money on race fees, running shoes, tech shirts.. If I can have it for free I might actually be able to retain some of my allowance instead of buying it.

I'm 43 years old and a parent, why do *** I *** have an allowance anyway? Oh, yeah, bills...

Tell me about it
  • 42hockeymom
    42hockeymom Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    My 16 yo hockey playing daughter has been going to do PT with the Poolee's at the Marine Recruit Center since she was 14 1/2. She's been doing a heck of a lot harder things than Insanity. Currently (because we looked it up) She can almost qualify for the Elite Personal Fitness Qualifiers for males in the Air Force.

She's gonna be a Marine.

I think more kids should be exposed to that type of exercise, some would probably love it.

When I was a kid in PE we got to choose what "classes" we wanted to take. I took Jazzercise for a quarter (Yeah, I'm THAT old) thinking easy A. Instead I lost a lot of inches. Too bad we didn't have that more, but it was fun. Insanity to me does not seem fun, but heck, ask my kid and she'd say "Hell Yeah!" and be the first in line.

We need to have more of these choices for kids.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I'm 13 and I do insanity every day and I push myself to my max! Trust me your child will benefit from it as long as they eat enough their cardio will improve!

You'd better hope you're not 13, because this site is 18+.

When I was in high school we played crash mat cricket. Kids these days are missing out on the fun of stupid sports.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    Just found out that my friend's daughter who is 14 years old had to do an Insanity workout at school this past Friday. Apparently the gym teacher made all the students do this very demanding workout. This is crazy especially since this is a workout program for people 18 years or older. The teacher didn't even ask the parents permission to teach this workout program!!

As you can imagine the kids were struggling after 2 minutes of doing Insanity. Also the teacher plans to do more programs.

Don't get me wrong kids needs physical activity but extreme programs are not appropriate for kids.

My friend is going to meet with the principal of the school to discuss this issue.

Are there any parents out there who kids are doing Insanity or P90X in school?

This is not an appropriate workout for teenagers. In fact, the only people who should do Insanity are those who are old enough to make that decision on their own. Most school gyms have basketball, volleyball, hockey, along with baseball and track, etc. If one of these kids has a heart condition that is undetected (and that's been known to happen), and he/she falls dead of a heart attack, there's going to be hell to pay. I agree with you. The idea of Insanity for 9th graders is literally INSANE!
    An undetected heart condition is horrible but no reason to live in complete fear, either as an individual or as a society. School REALLY is supposed to prepare kids for the future. Cowering away from new experiences is not in the curriculum. (of course there's the argument that 'when will I ever need algebra?" and basketball has NEVER had any place in my life.. Physical Fitness is different.)
  • the_dude00
    the_dude00 Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I think it's good the gym teacher is doing that. Hopefully most of the kids are participating.

When I head in high school we primarily played sports, which equated to at least half the class really doing nothing. The unfit kids didn't want the ball for fear of embarrassment and the fit kids did not want to give them the ball because they weren't any good...
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    All I can think is "What a lazy teacher..."
  • ShannonS2714
    ShannonS2714 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Oh HELL no. If this happened in my son's school, I'd raise all different kinds of hell. It's not safe and not meant for children.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Oh HELL no. If this happened in my son's school, I'd raise all different kinds of hell. It's not safe and not meant for children.

This is an old thread, but it is perfectly safe. 9th graders are 14 and 15 years old, hardly little kids.

My 7 year old does full-on circuit training. rope climb, small kettle bell swings, burpees, tire work, rope swings, etc., etc.

Have you ever watched football practice, soccer practice, tennis practice, lacrosse or any one of another million things kids do from pee-wee on? How about swim drills?

Sheesh.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options

This is an old thread, but it is perfectly safe. 9th graders are 14 and 15 years old, hardly little kids.

My 7 year old does full-on circuit training. rope climb, small kettle bell swings, burpees, tire work, rope swings, etc., etc.

Have you ever watched football practice, soccer practice, tennis practice, lacrosse or any one of another million things kids do from pee-wee on? How about swim drills?

Sheesh.
    this! watch dance moms and see what kids are capable of...
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    When I was in secondary school (about 8 years ago) we had to do a bi-monthly fitness test. The same one they use in the army. It was ridiculously tough. And then after that they made us run the 20-m shuttle run test as well.
    And oh yeah, most of us already had to cycle an hour to get to school (Dutch coutryside, school was miles away for most of us).
    Crazy *ss PE teachers.

I am sure your teenagers can do Insanity. They know when they really need to stop.