30 Day Shred - Starting April 15 2013

Replies

• Day 5 for me today. Definitely feeling a lot easier - some parts are almost TOO easy, but then again some parts (I'm looking at you, side lunges with arm raises!) are still really really tough.

I was really unmotivated today but I MADE myself do it and I'm so pleased I did. Now to keep it up over the weekend...
  • SherryLynn82
    SherryLynn82 Posts: 69 Member
    L1D7 tonight and last night was the first time that I could have fun with a lot of the video! No soreness at all today! I do have to say though...any of the arm exercises still kill me while I am doing them. I am not sure I will ever be able to do a "real" push-up instead of going to my knees!
  • travlinmel101
    travlinmel101 Posts: 243 Member
    Maybe because I didn't do L2D1 to my fullest efforts (because I was still learning what I was supposed to be doing), I don't feel any pain today! YAY! But, tonight, now that I'm a little more aware of what I'm supposed to do, we'll see how that will feel!

I'm not sure about the "knees" question...my problem ends up being with my shins/calves, but maybe give L2 a try, see how you feel, and decide if you want to do L1 for a few more days...me personally, I can't wait for the 30 days to be over, so 10 days each for me! :)

Regarding push-ups...I was never able to do them all in L1 (or practically my whole life), I just did my best (15 girly-style in a row!) and then just kept pushing my body off the ground :) Because there's no "normal" push-ups in L2, I've actually considered pausing the DVD and just trying to keep doing push-ups each time to see how many I can get to?

And, I love aliann30's "let's keep on keepin' on!"
  • leeroxboro
    leeroxboro Posts: 142 Member
    Off to visit the hubby, no internet, so I'll "see" y'all next week!!

Glad level 2 didn't make you so sore, maybe I will give it a try Monday!!
  • SAB8A
    SAB8A Posts: 27 Member
    Hi All, Just found this thread.. where was it 10 days ago LOL. I finished L1D10 today Yay me!! There were days I didn't want to do it but my Hubby is doing it with me so he pushed me to get it done. I always feel so much better after the workout so I'm going to keep reminding myself that when I want to take a rest day. I have taken 1 rest day this set of 10. I will be doing an extra day of level 1 because my hubby started a day after I did and I'm going to keep at his level until we are both ready for Level 2.

I'm having a problem finding Level 2 on YouTube. Can someone send me the link?

Thanks and let's all keep shredding!
  • grace42d
    grace42d Posts: 156 Member
    I also can't find level 2 on youtube. I moved to level 3 and did the beginner version, which I am still working on. I will be on level three for a while. I can now do jumping jacks, burpies, mountain climbers, jump lunges and a few unaided situps!

Keep shreddin'
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    i couldn't find level 2 on youtube but it's on vimeo: https://player.vimeo.com/video/40094984
  • cherryd69
    cherryd69 Posts: 340
    im on day 5 today as i took a rest day yesterday due to my shift pattern change, as its my day off from work today ill be doing the workout and hopefully if it arrives ill be going on my cross trainer :)

I feel so guilty because i took a rest day, i know my body needs to have rest days now an again, but i didnt want or need it to be this soon (thanks work!)
  • shellux
    shellux Posts: 164 Member
    L1D7 tonight and last night was the first time that I could have fun with a lot of the video! No soreness at all today! I do have to say though...any of the arm exercises still kill me while I am doing them. I am not sure I will ever be able to do a "real" push-up instead of going to my knees!
    I can't do push ups either so I do a plank instead. It's the best I can do :)
  • floppybackend
    floppybackend Posts: 52 Member
    bought my DVD on ebay used so it was half the price. I have a love hate with this DVD. Yes, it does take 20 mins but 5 mins prep and after 3/4hr with shower, hair and dress - so it does take some time in total 1hr 10 mins. Sadly I am too much of a sweaty betty. I find it impossible to do every day. If I can I drop the children off to school, come home and then do it. If I dont do it then - its not going to happen as next free time is after 8pm but I cant workout late as it keeps me awake.

I am determined to get back to my DVDs but find alternating them is better as its too repetitive.
  • SherryLynn82
    SherryLynn82 Posts: 69 Member
    I ended up working really late last night and not getting home in time to get in L1D7, so that will be tonight. However, I decided that days off are NOT my friend. I wasn't sore at all yesterday, but I am today...strange!
  • melissa112
    melissa112 Posts: 99 Member
    L2D3 today! I managed to make it all the way through the last set of abs workout, the plank with crossover or whatever it is! Albeit, very slowly!! My goal is to be able to do them all the way through at a reasonable pace by the end of day 10. Also did the squats with arm raises all the way through, but that was hard and didn't manage to bring my arms all the way up to my eyes!

I tensed my arm muscles the other day though, and although I can't actually see anything resembling muscle haha, they did feel like the muscles had grown a bit!

Good luck with everyone doing the shred today! It really does get better as the days go on!
  • fatthighs13
    fatthighs13 Posts: 1 Member
    I am looking to start this. I am currently training for a 10k race.
    Would anyone recommend doing this alongside?
  • travlinjess
    travlinjess Posts: 243 Member
    L1 D10 down, and my knee is feeling a bit bothered again!! It's not a sharp, in the joint pain, more of a you haven't gotten off your butt to do anything in over 5 years, and you expect me to what?? I really need to work on strengthening the muscles before I do some joint damage...

Those of you who've done L2, is it any harder on the knees?? Still haven't decided whether to do 5 more days level 1 before moving on..

Hi there! I'm on my second round of 30DS, but had the same nagging knee pain through round 1 in January…and for the same reasons…I had been inactive for a loooong time. Anyway, I found Level 2 less intense for my knees, so give it a try. I found some moves in LV 3 hard on my knee, so be wary.

Best thing to do for now is modify the moves a little. The butt-kicks killed my left knee for some reason, so I would jump less or do a move in its place….just keep moving.

I continued to do similar workouts (ie Jillian Michaels) after the Shred, and the knee pain disappeared as I got stronger and the muscles around the knee developed.

Hope this helps…stick with it…results are so worth it. It doesn't get easier, you get stronger!!! :)
  • Michellenicole35
    Michellenicole35 Posts: 9 Member
    just done level 1 thought i was gona die!!!!!!! count me in : )
  • kitjos
    kitjos Posts: 158 Member
    Bump for Tuesday :)
  • PecorinoRomano
    PecorinoRomano Posts: 33 Member
    Hi everyone! Just saw this thread! I am on lvl1day6... Still can only do knee push-ups but I can do SO many more since I started last week. I've been staying away from the scale and the measuring tape, but I'm definitely feeling it (so sore!) and every day I feel like I can do a little bit more of the routine without wanting to die. :laugh: Keep it up everyone!! This thread is so motivational for me, thank you!
  • leeroxboro
    L1 D10 down, and my knee is feeling a bit bothered again!! It's not a sharp, in the joint pain, more of a you haven't gotten off your butt to do anything in over 5 years, and you expect me to what?? I really need to work on strengthening the muscles before I do some joint damage...

Those of you who've done L2, is it any harder on the knees?? Still haven't decided whether to do 5 more days level 1 before moving on..

Hi there! I'm on my second round of 30DS, but had the same nagging knee pain through round 1 in January…and for the same reasons…I had been inactive for a loooong time. Anyway, I found Level 2 less intense for my knees, so give it a try. I found some moves in LV 3 hard on my knee, so be wary.

Best thing to do for now is modify the moves a little. The butt-kicks killed my left knee for some reason, so I would jump less or do a move in its place….just keep moving.

I continued to do similar workouts (ie Jillian Michaels) after the Shred, and the knee pain disappeared as I got stronger and the muscles around the knee developed.

Hope this helps…stick with it…results are so worth it. It doesn't get easier, you get stronger!!! :)

Thank you for this...I just got home and stopped by WalMart on the way to pick up the DVD (I had been doing L1 on YouTube). I am going to take a peek at level 2 tonight just to have a look see at the moves, and will try it tomorrow morning (won't sleep a wink if I exercise this late)....

Thanks again!!
  • leeroxboro
    L2 D1 down, and it kicked my booty!! I wonder how long I'd have to do this to be able to keep up with Natalie!!
  • SAB8A
    L2D1 in the books.. WOW!!! I had to lean on the wall to do the shoulder raises and leg raises today. I'm hoping by the end of the 10 day I will be able to do those without needing the wall. I did do as much as I could and pushed myself to do it this morning to get it over with. I literally laid on the floor after the work out trying to make my muscles move LOL. Here's to 9 more days on this.
    And Yes Jill I do feel like I'm going to Die.
  • ashleyoh33
    ashleyoh33 Posts: 85 Member
    What size weights does everyone use? I have completed Level 1 Day 5 using 5 lb weights. I do have some difficulty with the side lunges with shoulder raise (i think thats what its called..haha) but everything else is fine and my arms are never sore the next day. I feel like my arms should be sore with a 5 lb weight...should i buy an 8 or would that be unmanageable? I know it's different for everyone, just curious as to what all of you are using.
  • leeroxboro
    I was using 5 lb weights for everything except the shoulder raises...used 2 pound for those, and had to put them down to finish the second set. I dropped back to 3 lb today, the first day of level 2...I really need to work on my upper body strength!!
  • SAB8A
    I use 3lb weights all thru Level 1 and I felt there at the last few days I should have uped the weight. I started L2 today and man oh man those 3 lbs felt like 10 lbs after the shoulder/leg raises and squat v's I think switching the weight up if it isn't pushing you would be a good idea. Like Jillian says you have to push to see results given it's only a 27 min workout. I'm going to work on getting up to 5 lbs for L2. Wish me luck
  • corrsfan
    corrsfan Posts: 26
    I just wanna start by saying that I LOVE reading about how everyone's doing and reading this thread really motivates me to keep going with the 30DS.

I used 1 kg (2.2 lb) weights through Level 1 and half of Level 2 then I switched to 2 kg (4.4 lb) weights for the second half of Level II. It threw my balance for a bit (particularly that exercise with the leg extensions) but it definitely got better with each day so I do recommend challenging yourself with the weights though I'm no expert on what the limit should be. I started Level 3 on Saturday and I would agree with previous posts I've read where some people have said they found it just a tiny bit less challenging than Level 2 though of course it's still pretty hard. I mentioned that to my friend today and she said another possibility is that one's fitness level improves tremendously with each day and each level so perhaps Level 3 seems easier cause one is stronger. I just think it's easier cause there fewer plank moves, lol.

Sunday is my rest day and hoped to get back to it today but I'm not feeling well so sadly I have to skip it. Hopefully a good night's rest will sort that out and I can get back into it tomorrow morning.
  • travlinmel101
    travlinmel101 Posts: 243 Member
    HALF-WAY DAY for me! (aka day 15 or L2D5)

Once I upped my weights towards the end of L1 (from 2lbs to 5lbs), I continue to use the 5lbs for most of my L2 moves (sometimes, I have to go back down to the 2lbs for the second set, or those V's I sometimes have to put the weights down completely)...but I think if you're already feeling comfortable with 5 lbs on day 5, you should give the 8 lbs a try!

Good job everyone!!!!
  • jennypenny24
    jennypenny24 Posts: 3 Member
    Hello! I'm so excited that I found a thread where people started the 30 day shred on April 15, 2013. I, myself, started the 30 day shred on April 16. I decided to do it for 6 days each week with 1 rest day which is Mondays for me. Anyways, I've been pairing the workouts with turbo jam for the 6 days that I work out and I've been eating low carb (induction phase) and today was my weigh in day and I'm so happy to report that I lost 6.6 pounds. Day 1 I weighed 218.2 and today is day 13 and I weighed in at 211.6. I've never had this kind of success and I'm looking forward to the rest of the program. I hope everyone has positive results no matter if it's inches or weight or just getting more endurance and becoming more healthy.
  • juliasays77
    juliasays77 Posts: 92 Member
    Well, I skipped yesterday- I had a long, difficult weekend and was just exhausted.

So I picked back up this morning, L2 D4. I must have done something to my right hand, because it was killing me! It hurt to even get in a plank position. I modified this morning, but I may have to replace some moves if it still hurts tomorrow.

Speaking of plank moves- I would like to know which of Satan's minions created the Plank Jack. Seriously? Seriously?!?! Those kill me.
  • aliann30
    aliann30 Posts: 291 Member
    L2D1 down.

O.

M.

G.

I didn't make it all the way through - I tried my best, but barely got through the plank ab crossover things. On a positive note, I was able to make it through the jump ropes and not cheat. I started off hating jumping jacks, switched that to hating jump ropes, and now these oblique twist jump and die things? No joke...I was about to hurl on my yoga mat when it came time for the plank crossovers.

19 days left!!!!
  • corrsfan
    corrsfan Posts: 26
    L2D1 down.

O.

M.

G.

I didn't make it all the way through - I tried my best, but barely got through the plank ab crossover things. On a positive note, I was able to make it through the jump ropes and not cheat. I started off hating jumping jacks, switched that to hating jump ropes, and now these oblique twist jump and die things? No joke...I was about to hurl on my yoga mat when it came time for the plank crossovers.

19 days left!!!!

Hahaha...that O.M.G. is exactly how I felt on the 1st day of Level 2. And the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th. On the 1st day I had to stop for a while because like you, I was also nauseated. But you will love seeing yourself get stronger with each day so hang in there.
  • leeroxboro
    L2 D2 down and I swear, the only thing that kept me going was knowing how much stronger I am after completing level 1....I. Thought. I. Was. Going. To. Die!! I don't think my knees are going to let me do some of the tougher moves, but at least I am able to do all of the modified ones....once I get through these 30 days, I'm going to concentrate on getting certain muscles stronger and come back to this to see if I can give it 100%!! (I don't think I'll ever be able to keep up with Natalie!!)

Let's keep on keeping on!!!