What to do with sweet potatoes?

Options

Replies

• lisamac62
    lisamac62 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I will cut them into wedges or chunks toss in a little olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt and Cajun season and roast in the oven.
    I also pierce them wrap in plastic wrap bake in the microwave then I top with Laughing Cow Cinnamon cheese mmmm so good
  • SarahDavs
    SarahDavs Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Someone on another thread about sweet potatoes a while ago mentioned taking a Babybel lite (The Laughing Cow brand lite cheese) it's 50 calories, and letting it melt into the sweet potato. That sounds so good to me!

ETA: I just realized to that The Laughing Cow makes a 35 calorie lite swiss cheese spread that would work too. :-)
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    nuked for 5-7 minutes and sprinkled with cinnamon
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    baked, then load with:

sauted onions, poblano pepper, and garlic
    grilled bourbon chipotle chicken breast.

Enjoy.
  • ukkiosan
    ukkiosan Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew...I couldn't help myself : )

In all seriousness, I eat them baked with splenda blend brown sugar, cinnamon, and I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray to minimize the condiment calories. Alternatively, you can cube 'em up, toss them with some thyme/rosemary/oregano, olive oil, and salt & pepper, and melt into potatoey bliss.
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    i take them and slice them rub them with coconut oil and sprinkle them with a epicure garlic spice or a Cajun spice and lay them out on a cookie sheet and back them until crispy . Theses area yummy
    Or i will just take and bake them thenmash them and add coconut oil with nutmeg and cinnamon
  • LexiBlack12
    LexiBlack12 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Try grlling or bbqing them.

I peel and slice sweet potatoes, add a drizzle of olive oil, dried oregano, a pinch of salt and pepper. Then, I grill them until their tender. I love to add a bit of hummus on them.... absolutly delish!

tip: i like to steam them a bit in he microwave first. before adding anyting to the potatoes, i add a drizzle of water and microwave hem for a few minutes. they will be slightly tender. then, i add the olive oil, salt, peper and oregano. lastly, i grill them.

enjoy! :)
  • terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I freakin' LOVE sweet potatoes, so I am bumping for more ideas!! :smile:
  • jennontheroad
    jennontheroad Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    make sweet potato brownies!!! they are so good and a small piece is only 100 cal.
  • TaraRyaz
    TaraRyaz Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Throw them in the crock pot with white beans, kale or spinich, bbq sauce & whatever protein you'd like...I do chicken breast or turkey sausage
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Baked sweet potato fries. Or substitute them for regular potatoes in your roast. These are my two personal favorites.
  • WhosThirsty
    WhosThirsty Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Might sound weird, but this was my dinner tonight:

Use a fork to poke holes in the sweet potato, wrap in a damp paper towel, and then nuke it for 5-8 minutes. I usually cut my potato in half...them suckers are huge!

Anyways, tonight I steamed my tater, mashed it up, then heated some black beans and piled them on top for a little more flavor.

Then again, I don't care if food is bland -- I see it as sustenance only.
  • Seraph1120
    Seraph1120 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    bump
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato protein pancakes, of course!

Ingredients:

1 sweet potato
    1/2 cup liquid egg whites
    1 scoop whey protein (I use vanilla)
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    Ground cinnamon (to taste)
    2tsp sugar substitute (I just use the real thing)

Directions:

Cook sweet potato in microwave for 6-8 minutes, depending on the size. Peel the skin and discard, only using the insides. Mash it down until it's a creamy consistency. Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl. Stir until you receive a pancake batter-like texture. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Spray pan with non-stick cooking spray, and slowly add batter. Cook until done

Nutrition: batter makes 4 medium sized pancakes
    480 cals (will be higher/lower depending on size of sweet potato, protein powder, sugar used, etc) , 61g carbs, 3g fat, 55g protein (depending on your protein powder), 7g fiber.

* When these are done, I stack them and cover them with 2 TBSP of peanut butter, then drizzle them in sugar free butter flavored syrup. DO ITTTTT
  • TaraRyaz
    Options
    Also...

I love the idea of tossing some roasted sweet potatoes & walnuts in with a spinach salad. Green salad always bores me unless I add a cooked item, but I like to add veggie ones like sauteed mushrooms or something.
  • TaraRyaz
    Options
    Or...

grate some with grated apple & some egg (or applesauce) & flour of your choice for pancakes
  • enkennon
    enkennon Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    you can slice them thin, spray them lightly with some pam buttery spray ( LIGHTLY), add a little cinnamon and bake the slices on 375 for about 45 minutes or until crispy for sweet potato chips :-)
  • danielg810
    danielg810 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Raw slices with Hummus!
  • SarahDavs
    SarahDavs Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato protein pancakes, of course!

Ingredients:

1 sweet potato
    1/2 cup liquid egg whites
    1 scoop whey protein (I use vanilla)
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    Ground cinnamon (to taste)
    2tsp sugar substitute (I just use the real thing)

Directions:

Cook sweet potato in microwave for 6-8 minutes, depending on the size. Peel the skin and discard, only using the insides. Mash it down until it's a creamy consistency. Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl. Stir until you receive a pancake batter-like texture. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Spray pan with non-stick cooking spray, and slowly add batter. Cook until done

Nutrition: batter makes 4 medium sized pancakes
    480 cals (will be higher/lower depending on size of sweet potato, protein powder, sugar used, etc) , 61g carbs, 3g fat, 55g protein (depending on your protein powder), 7g fiber.

* When these are done, I stack them and cover them with 2 TBSP of peanut butter, then drizzle them in sugar free butter flavored syrup. DO ITTTTT
    I love this. Sounds delicious!
  • KirstenMarie18
    KirstenMarie18 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I usually shred sweet potatoes to make sweet potato hashbrowns. (Stir-fry it with onions, salt, garlic powder and paprika) Crack an egg into it and you have a tasty breakfast

this sounds sooo yummy!!