Do you really think rice cakes are healthy?

Options

Replies

• 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Better to eat a rice cake or two than a whole bad of potato chips. They can serve a purpose in a varied diet, and some people actually like them. Does every single food have to be ultra nutient dense to be enjoyed? Not in my world.
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I crave crunchy food. So yes.
  • sidewinder76
    Options
    Thinking they are like eating air, Something to munch on and get that "craving' away without takiing in 1000 calories
  • AbnormalYak
    AbnormalYak Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    There are no healthy/unhealthy foods, only healthy/unhealthy diets. And "healthy" certainly doesn't mean the same thing as "low calorie". If you were overweight because you ate lots of cookies every day (as well as meals) and you change to eating rice cakes instead of cookies then your diet just got a bit healthier. But if you were anorexic and lived on rice cakes and water, so you cut out the rice cakes and change to eating fresh vegetables and protein, then your diet also got healthier. The rice cakes by themselves aren't good or bad.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I eat Japanese rice cakes because their yumminess far outweighs their calories and western rice cakes because they can be topped with yumminess.

I do have an issue with low nutrition food being labelled as healthy though. Being sugar, salt and fat free doesn't actually make something good. I gave my first son far too many of such snacks, which I believe may have contributed to certain health issues, so with no. 2 things will be different.

So, I don't think rice crackers are unhealthy or 'not good', but I do have to keep an eye on their consumption.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    I eat Japanese rice cakes because their yumminess far outweighs their calories and western rice cakes because they can be topped with yumminess.

I do have an issue with low nutrition food being labelled as healthy though. Being sugar, salt and fat free doesn't actually make something good. I gave my first son far too many of such snacks, which I believe may have contributed to certain health issues, so with no. 2 things will be different.

So, I don't think rice crackers are unhealthy or 'not good', but I do have to keep an eye on their consumption.

senbei!! i'm so in love with onigiri senbei, but the normal ones are good too
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I love my rice cakes Indian style, soft and hot! Called idlis and eaten with sambar and coconut chutney!
    l LOVE rice cakes, rice pilaf, saffron rice, rice with butter, biryani rice, yoghurt rice, Spanish rice, Middle Eastern style rice, Afghan style rice, Thai basil fried rice, fried rice of every kind, sushi rice, rice with seaweed, rice in soups, curries with rice, etc.!
    I'm Indian and I've lost all my weight eating rice everyday for lunch and dinner! I would be lost without my rice dishes.
    Everything is healthy if eaten in moderation. Everything can be unhealthy if overeaten! If you have the calories, go for it!
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I love my rice cakes Indian style, soft and hot! Called idlis and eaten with sambar and coconut chutney!
    l LOVE rice cakes, rice pilaf, saffron rice, rice with butter, biryani rice, yoghurt rice, Spanish rice, Middle Eastern style rice, Afghan style rice, Thai basil fried rice, fried rice of every kind, sushi rice, rice with seaweed, rice in soups, curries with rice, etc.!
    I'm Indian and I've lost all my weight eating rice everyday for lunch and dinner! I would be lost without my rice dishes.
    Everything is healthy if eaten in moderation. Everything can be unhealthy if overeaten! If you have the calories, go for it!

That list of rice really made me drool!
  • ontheregimen
    Options
    There are probably better food sources for micros out there :p
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    No rice!

Rice is not good for health
    Really?! I wonder what the Chinese have been doing for centuries....

With a name like Abhishek I am assuming he's Indian so he already knows about rice eating culture. Unfortunately, the internets brocscience got to him too :(

If it was coming from an American/English/australian I'd be calling 'ignorance'. I'm from Aus and living in Japan and can say YES they eat their rice but they don't eat anywhere near the junk that we do in the West. It's awesome.

Bread is the evil stuff, right?

You look at most (if not all) cultures and you will find high amounts of carbs usage. Indians have bread/rice. Japanese have noodles/rice. I don't eat alot of chinese but see rice as a staple product. Arabs are big on bread and rice too. Africans eat alot of bread/rice. Italians are big on pasta and bread. Most of the european countries consume high amounts of breads. US is high amounts of breads and pasta too.

Eating carbs is good and has served us well for many millenias but it was declared recently as an evil (I think dr. Atkins started the trend?). Carbs was and still is the main source of nutrition and calories for human race because of ease of availability and cost

I personally find bread 'evil' as the gluten just doesn't work well with me. Bloating, cramps, acne etc etc... didn't know this until recently when I tried gluten free for a couple of weeks. It's just too modified these days to what it was in the past :/
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options

senbei!! i'm so in love with onigiri senbei, but the normal ones are good too

dudeeee senbei are the best! Have you ever made them? Fresh made are the freaking BEST!
  • sarab99
    sarab99 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    How do you term healthy? I buy organic honey ones that I love! For a crunchy snack they are much better then some processed junk. Don't you malign my rice cakes! :)

I haven't seen honey ones. Where do you get them?
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Healthy is relative.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go so far as to say they're unhealthy, but there are definitely more nutritionally beneficial foods you could choose from. There are also worse foods you could choose :tongue:
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I like them...the honey nut flavor ones are good, and the cheese ones are pretty awesome IMHO.
  • sarahmonsta
    sarahmonsta Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I think they are just one of those foods that are just...there haha. Like if you like them, great they probably aren't hurting you (unless you're like the girl who is allergic to rice. ;) ), but if you don't like them, then that's cool too, just more calories to spend on something else, if that makes sense. haha.
  • kaylabrose
    Options
    They are healthy when I put 4 TBSP's of Nutella on them.
  • ArchangelMJ
    ArchangelMJ Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I find it a bit disturbing that anyone would feel "deprived" of rice cakes, as if it were a chocolate peanut cluster or something. It's a damn rice cake, one of the poster children of dieting. How anyone could feel guilty from eating a rice cake is beyond me. Unless we're talking about Asian rice cakes like mochi, which are made with glutinous rice and bean pastes, and can be pretty dense calorie bombs. I personally love rice but dislike all varieties of rice cakes.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Rice cakes in my particular metabolic situation are not very healthy. But for most healthy people I would say yes.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I call them "air cookies". :laugh: