'thigh gap'?

Options

Replies

• ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    ohh lord don't get me started.

I understand you've never been above 104...I'm petite and at one point was at 150. Does that mean I have a bigger frame? Not at all. It means I ate way too much junk food for my body with no exercise.

Weight and fat distribution have to do not only with frame but also with *genetics*

Some women have smaller legs at a normal weight, while others have smaller upper bodies at the same normal weight. Both can be at a healthy weight. End of discussion.

Facepalm*

This is by far the most asinine discussion I've had on the internet so far. Shame on me for being on MFP this late.
  • LateNightP
    LateNightP Posts: 10
    Options
    Why would it matter what guys like? Surely you don't diet in order for a guy to like you, you diet for yourself!
  • Just1998
    Just1998 Posts: 33
    Options
    My mom was 180. And she was 4'11". She was pregnant. Of course not every heavier person is the right weight for them. Neither is every underweight person the right weight for their frame. It's based on the individual... I wasn't even talking about you. But I don't why did you bring yourself into this conversation? I was talking about people I have seen. I've never seen you irl...
  • kaylacollinscna
    kaylacollinscna Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I kind of like'em thick. I'm going to start a thigh clap thread. Gimme some of that!!

Oh my gosh, I about shot chocolate milk out of my nose from laughing at this comment. :laugh:
  • KristinLeAnn252
    KristinLeAnn252 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I personally don't understand the whole "thigh gap" thing.. As long as I look fantastic, why the heck do I care if there's a gap there or not? I'll just spread my legs further apart and pretend. As far as the size 0 thing goes, I have that as my goal only because I'm five feet tall so it's a reasonable goal. I think it's a stretch for anyone taller than me though.
  • MsEmmy
    MsEmmy Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I actually want to hit myself for even reading this thread. I only read it because I didn't even know what 'thigh gap' meant. Now I know I feel like several points have been deducted from my IQ. I read three pages properly (hats off to the people who were as disappointed with the human race as I was!) and skimmed the rest looking for people shouting 'what the eff does it matter?'

I don't know what disappoints me more: the fact that it is even a thing, the fact that some men noticed enough to make it a thing, the fact that some women have adopted it as a thing to aspire to, or the fact that there is a several page thread with only a small minority of people questioning this thing.
  • teehee1211
    teehee1211 Posts: 39
    Options
    I have flat hips they're 32.5 inches at the largest if I include my butt. If I had a gap I'd be highly underweight. I got a minor *kitten* and that's it downtown. I care more about my top honestly. Im a size 0 by default.

My exroommate was a size 0. 5'2" and 98 lbs. she had a gap. It kind of scared me though I didn't get why her legs did that. I figured it was because she was underweight. Like I thought if you had wide hips your thighs would fill in the space. But I guess that means she had nice hips and butt? She did say once its better for a guy to like your butt than boobs. I never recognized her hphysique as something nice. But I did think she'd have been a lot better with more meat on her bones. I also noticed this physique on a model as well.

It's definitely not an indicator of underweight or overweight. My mom is quite a bit taller and curvier and she has one.

Yes, some underweight girls do have thigh gaps because they are, in fact, underweight. But often its a matter of genetics. My femurs happen to be farther apart than others.

And since its a matter of genetics, all the more reason why girls should stop giving a flying crap about it and embrace what they have.

Yeah it has to do how wide your hips are. IMO I think the thighs should fill out the space. If a woman has a curvier/bigger build she needs more fat than say a petite girl like myself that's just my opinion. If I had wide hips I'd be trying to gain weight definitely.

If a woman has a curvier or bigger build and has thigh gaps she looks like this:
    Screenshot2013-04-30at11439AM_zpsb3fbd028.png

She has thigh gaps and wide hips, but she definitely doesn't need to gain weight. She looks great with the gap.

I think thigh gaps are definitely desirable, but that's just me. I can never have them, because I don't have much of a butt or hips. Some people are just lucky.

well I guess I could with lipsuction lmao..
  • Just1998
    Options
    I have flat hips they're 32.5 inches at the largest if I include my butt. If I had a gap I'd be highly underweight. I got a minor *kitten* and that's it downtown. I care more about my top honestly. Im a size 0 by default.

My exroommate was a size 0. 5'2" and 98 lbs. she had a gap. It kind of scared me though I didn't get why her legs did that. I figured it was because she was underweight. Like I thought if you had wide hips your thighs would fill in the space. But I guess that means she had nice hips and butt? She did say once its better for a guy to like your butt than boobs. I never recognized her hphysique as something nice. But I did think she'd have been a lot better with more meat on her bones. I also noticed this physique on a model as well.

It's definitely not an indicator of underweight or overweight. My mom is quite a bit taller and curvier and she has one.

Yes, some underweight girls do have thigh gaps because they are, in fact, underweight. But often its a matter of genetics. My femurs happen to be farther apart than others.

And since its a matter of genetics, all the more reason why girls should stop giving a flying crap about it and embrace what they have.

Yeah it has to do how wide your hips are. IMO I think the thighs should fill out the space. If a woman has a curvier/bigger build she needs more fat than say a petite girl like myself that's just my opinion. If I had wide hips I'd be trying to gain weight definitely.

If a woman has a curvier or bigger build and has thigh gaps she looks like this:
    Screenshot2013-04-30at11439AM_zpsb3fbd028.png

She has thigh gaps and wide hips, but she definitely doesn't need to gain weight. She looks great with the gap.

I think thigh gaps are definitely desirable, but that's just me. I can never have them, because I don't have much of a butt or hips. Some people are just lucky.

well I guess I could with lipsuction lmao..

That doesn't really look like a gap but ok... I had that when I was underweight.
  • teehee1211
    Options
    That doesn't really look like a gap but ok... I had that when I was underweight.

tumblr_m9onqr4g5s1runk40o1_500_zpscad586e8.jpg

Wow, not a gap? Fine, this is for sure a gap and I think she looks great. Don't hate on people because they have different body types than you and can get leg gaps w/out being underweight.

Sounds like someone has sour grapes lmao
  • Just1998
    Options

Wow, not a gap? Fine, this is for sure a gap and I think she looks great. Don't hate on people because they have different body types than you and can get leg gaps w/out being underweight.

You can't see my pics can you? Lol I have a great body no matter my size. I'm never jealous. It's actually the other way around. Some claim I'm anorexic. Some claim I've got a boob job. Either way I abhor both things. And I'm never going to say appearing anorexic is a good thing. I was actually talking about anorexics. That's the image I had in mind.
    Who was hating on anyone?

When I noticed a thigh gap it was only when it was really huge. The woman you posted has a smaller gap I wouldn't even notice. Maybe because I'm a girl.

My definition of a thigh gap was much bigger like two sticks with wide hips...

Sorry but I'm not an anorexic sympathizer so of course the evacuated look I think looks unhealthy and not right.
  • teehee1211
    Options

You can't see my pics can you? Lol I have a great body no matter my size. I'm never jealous. I was actually talking about anorexics. That's the image I had in mind.

When I noticed a thigh gap it was only when it was really huge. The woman you posted has a smaller gap I wouldn't even notice. Maybe because I'm a girl.

Sorry but I'm not an anorexic sympathizer.

Who said you were an anorexic sympathizer? And no offense, but you don't look your weight. The scale doesn't mean much compared to body fat percentage. I don't think you're in a place to criticize other people's bodies.
  • VeganSurfer
    VeganSurfer Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    :yawn:
  • Just1998
    Options

You can't see my pics can you? Lol I have a great body no matter my size. I'm never jealous. I was actually talking about anorexics. That's the image I had in mind.

Sorry but I'm not an anorexic sympathizer.

Who said you were an anorexic sympathizer? And no offense, but you don't look your weight. The scale doesn't mean much compared to body fat percentage. I don't think you're in a place to criticize other people's bodies.
    My bf percentage is 16% at the most. People actually say I look anorexic or close to it if you can't see that then you must be blind or its bad pictures. I'm not criticizing I'm only saying looking like anorexic isn't a good thing especially on purpose. You seem like you're trying to knock me down when I've never even done anything to you or anyone else. Face it you seem to have issues with weight move on.

Oh yeah and I'm basically intimating you do have an anorexic view of things. Especially if you're going to say I look heavy. You prove my point with your own comments thank you.
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options

My sentiments exactly, I'm ashamed I took part in this post :grumble:

Everyone makes mistakes :laugh:
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options

It's definitely not an indicator of underweight or overweight. My mom is quite a bit taller (I'm only 5'1) and curvier and she has one.

I am at the upper end of a normal BMI, and I have a thigh gap. I suspect if the little girls knew that women like me, in all my aging, sagging glory, have a thigh gap, it would immediately become less attractive! They want it because to many, it's almost impossible to achieve, and because current fashion dictates skinny jeans that show off that space between the legs. And so, with the perverted logic of impossible female beauty ideals, they want what they can't have.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I don't understand this fascination with "thigh gap" AT ALL. :huh:
  • teehee1211
    Options
    My bf percentage is 16% at the most. People actually say I look anorexic or close to it if you can't see that then you must be blind or its bad pictures. I'm not criticizing I'm only saying looking like anorexic isn't a good thing especially on purpose. You seem like you're trying to knock me down when I've never even done anything to you or anyone else. Face it you seem to have issues with weight move on.

Oh yeah and I'm basically intimating you do have an anorexic view of things. Especially if you're going to say I look heavy. You prove my point with your own comments thank you.

Hahaha you're the one that says you look anorexic and somehow I'm the one that has an anorexic view of things? I'm trying to prove the point that thigh gaps can be healthy and you automatically accuse me of something that ridiculous.

I don't have issues with weight, but I have issues with girls who accuse other girls of debilitating mental diseases, all because they have physical properties that they themselves don't and never will have.

Going on about how you look anorexic isn't helping your point either.
  • VeganSurfer
    VeganSurfer Posts: 383 Member
    Options

My sentiments exactly, I'm ashamed I took part in this post :grumble:

Everyone makes mistakes :laugh:

:laugh: it must be around 2 days since the last one...not bad!
  • shellplen1
    shellplen1 Posts: 5
    Options
    Not having my thighs rub together is more realistic and less of a fire hazard!
  • Just1998
    Options

Hahaha you're the one that says you look anorexic and somehow I'm the one that has an anorexic view of things? I'm trying to prove the point that thigh gaps can be healthy and you automatically accuse me of something that ridiculous.

I don't have issues with weight, but I have issues with girls who accuse other girls of debilitating mental diseases, all because they have physical properties that they themselves don't and never will have.

Going on about how you look anorexic isn't helping your point either.

I look anorexic because I struggle to be healthy weighted i have underweight tendencies.
    I am just like some girls with weight issues struggling to not be fat.
    You intimated I looked bigger. And if you think so you must have an anorexic view because at 5'1" and 98 lbs there's not really anything much smaller. Therefore your view on things is anorexic.

You don't really seem to know a lot about anything you're talking about. Just because I look anorexic doesn't mean I have tendencies to be such. Also another big thing you don't seem to understand is that I've already explained a thigh gap was a bigger difference than either of the pictures you showed by that logic I had a thigh gap as well. I'm talking about specifically my exroommate who was taller than me and 96 lbs that's not right. I know because I thought I was 5'2" because my dr didn't measure me without my shoes and I was told I had to be over 100 lbs with this weight. I'm talking about how big her gap was and that that was basically the only time I noticed it.