What to do with sweet potatoes?

Options

Replies

• RabecaR
    RabecaR Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Cut them into 1/2 in slices and quarter them. In a big bowl sprinkle them with olive oil, salt and pepper and enough corn starch to just coat them. Bake in oven at 400 for 15 mins and turn, bake another 15-30 mins(until tender).
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I substitute them in anything I would use regular potatoes for. My favorite is sliced and lightly coated with olive oil and seasonings then baked. I've also used them in soup, and casseroles. I sliced them thin and layered them with random other ingredients and topped with cheese.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    i cube them, throw some garlic and spices and a touch of margarine (I don't eat dairy) and throw it in the microwave.
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I find Sweet potatoes very hard to cut uncooked....am I doing something wrong or is there a trick to cutting them for fries, wedges, cubes ect.? We have really come to love them but I dread cutting them up!

I put them in the microwave a few minutes before cutting to soften them a bit. I have also found the smaller ones are not as hard

Thanks! I needed to know this too!
  • jycrew
    jycrew Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My family loves baked sweet potato fries. After washing and peeling them, cut them into wedges or whatever size you prefer. My husband usually cuts them on a cutting board with a large knife as they can be very hard to cut. Then we drizzle with olive oil and mix with a savory seasoning of your choice. My kids favorite is ranch mix (mine is homemade). Bake at 425 until desired crispness is reached. We plan one potato per person.
  • TJtastic
    TJtastic Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    My favorite so far has been like a corned beef & hash. Only i've been using ground buffalo or beef and sweet potatoes. brown 1lb ground beef with 1/4 cup onions and 1/4 cup green peppers. once brown add 1 medium sweet potato cut into cubes, 2tbsp parsley, 2 tbsp chopped garlic, 2 chopped jalapenos(optional), cook until sweet potatoes soften up 10 minutes. After potatoes are soft add 2 cups chopped spinach, cook until wilted, or about 5 minutes. You could salt and pepper to taste. I add sour cream and hot sauce to my bowl when its done

This sounds SO GOOD!
  • kimela56
    kimela56 Posts: 1
    Options
    I cut them into bite sized chunks and lightly coat with olive oil, salt and cracked pepper and roast in a 425 degree oven for about 30 minutes. I do this with all of our veggies...asparagus, brussel sprouts, butternut squash and turnips.
  • m_onamission
    m_onamission Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    sweet potato with flaked tuna and greek yoghurt. with a side salad.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/144605/tuna-sweet-potato-jackets
  • Koholint
    Koholint Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Bump! Saving this for later (:

Sweet potatoes are part of my favorite quick and healthy dinner... If I don't have a lot of time, I'll pick up a rotisserie chicken from the store, 2 zucchinis, and some pre-wrapped microwave sweet potatoes.
    Then when I get home, I put the sweet potatoes in the microwave while I chop up the zucchini into thick/short straws and saute it in a little bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper. By the time that's done, so are the potatoes, and then I sprinkle a pinch of shredded parmesan on the zucchini. Done!
    Dinner of roasted chicken, sauteed zucchini with parmesan, and baked sweet potatoes. The potatoes don't even need anything on them... They go great paired with either the chicken or zucchini. This dinner is enough for my husband and me, with leftovers for one person the next day.

Some time ago, I baked some sweet potatoes in the oven, then cut one in half and... I put a few mini marshmallows in it! It was so good! They melted in the middle of the sweet potato and became gooey deliciousness. Bad, but so good.
    If it fits into your calories for the day, it could be a treat. *shrug* It fit in mine for that day...
  • ranchmimi
    ranchmimi Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Until I started eating more healthily, I thought the only way to enjoy sweet potatoes was loaded with butter and brown sugar! Now I love them plain baked! I never really knew the taste of sweet potatoes until this year! I also learned that you can freeze sweet potatoes, so now I bake 4 or 5 of them and freeze them in my portions! Some of the recipes in here sound wonderful and I'll be trying several of them! Thanks!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Mashed with Sriracha.

Roasted with olive oil, honey and cinnamon.

ETA: And these are awesome: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/chipotle-smashed-sweet-potatoes-recipe/index.html
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I usually shred sweet potatoes to make sweet potato hashbrowns. (Stir-fry it with onions, salt, garlic powder and paprika) Crack an egg into it and you have a tasty breakfast

Yum

QFT That sounds amazing. YUM
  • AwesomeMoJo
    AwesomeMoJo Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I have made them MANY different ways...and my FOVIRTE funny enough, is baked or steamed in the microwave..completely plain.

For me sweet potatoes dont need anything but if I do want to mash them..I add a tiny bit of butter to them and nothing else...
  • freebird777
    freebird777 Posts: 63
    Options
    I'm eating one right now actually. Baked, sliced open, stuffed with 2 tbsp salsa, 1/4 c black beans, 1/2 avocado. SO DELICIOUS. perfect for a filling lunch.
  • Julettashane
    Julettashane Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    i like sweet potato fries with garlic salt and cayenne pepper
  • juniebug2013
    juniebug2013 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Slice thin into "chips", toss in a bit of olive oil, and sprinkle with creole seasoning. Bake @ 350 for 25 minutes or until done. The sweet and spicy combination is to die for!
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Just bake them in the oven and eat plain. You will be able to appreciate their natural sweetness if you are limiting sugar in other parts of your diet. You can mash and add some milk and cinnamon. You can slice raw through food processor, toss with a little olive oil and spread out on sheet and bake like 15 minutes or until soft. I do that and then keep in fridge to use during the week.

I especially love sweet potato black bean quesadillas that I make.

Sweet potato and black bean quesadillas:

You can roast the sweet potatoes on the weekend so they are ready to go when you need them during the week.

I use my food processor with the slicing attachment to slice the sweet potatoes pretty thin. Toss with one tbsp oil and a little salt then spread out onto baking sheet and put in 375-400 oven until soft, usually about 20 minutes but I forget, maybe less?

what you'll need:

flour tortillas
    sweet potatoes, cut in quarters and then cut thinly
    canned black beans, rinsed and drained
    scallions, cut up (green and white parts)
    shredded cheese of your choice (I like monteray jack or mozzerella)

Get a saute pan good and hot
    Assemble quesadillas in this order- tortilla, sprinkle some cheese, layer of sweet potato, layer of beans, sprinkle scallions, sprinkle of cheese, tortilla.
    Spray pan with PAM spray.
    Cook quesadillas over med - medium high heat for a couple minutes on each side, pressing down with spatula to make it all stick together. Take care to spray PAM spray on top quesadilla before flipping over.
    I cut into quarters and I eat some greens on side and sometimes some yellow rice.

It looks like a lot to type it all out like a recipe but it is so good and easy, I promise :)

They are best straight away, but we always enjoy the reheated leftovers the next day as well.
  • kahdxoom
    kahdxoom Posts: 129
    Options
    I usually shred sweet potatoes to make sweet potato hashbrowns. (Stir-fry it with onions, salt, garlic powder and paprika) Crack an egg into it and you have a tasty breakfast

Yum

Bump
  • lyrical_melody
    lyrical_melody Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    sweet potato fries!!! yum yum yum
  • skinny2be2013
    Options
    My fave sweet potato dish is where you peel them then dice them into cm cubes drizzle with a little olive oil and roast until tender and browned. Serve with raw baby spinach,pine nut and red pepper salad with balsamic dressing.