Burning 1,000 + calories during a workout

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I question the validity of the numbers.

A lot of it is guesstimation on a wing and a prayer.

If vigorous sex is 4.5 calories a minute, 10 calorie per minute burn sustained for 100 minutes would be herculean in another task.
  • TedStout
    TedStout Posts: 241
    Options
    I log the calories from the treadmill/elliptical (whatever machine), but I am quite certain those have quite a variation in their accuracy. For other excercises, I try to look at online data and come to some sort of average for them and I use that data. I can get to 1000 calories in an hour on some of the exercise equipment...others I cannot. Cross country skiing for two hours got me close to 1500 (estimate) but I was whacked. Really, its all just estimation.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I burned 1376 cal this morning running 12 miles in 101 minutes. That's a little over 13 cal/min. I'm not all that heavy either at 178 lbs. You just have to be in decent shape and willing to put in the work.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I burned 1376 cal this morning running 12 miles in 101 minutes. That's a little over 13 cal/min. I'm not all that heavy either at 178 lbs. You just have to be in decent shape and willing to put in the work.

How do you know you burned precisely this much?

That's what I'm not getting, how do people "know" this?
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I don't know, I ran 11 miles Saturday and only burned around 700.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I don't know, I ran 11 miles Saturday and only burned around 700.

How do you know?
  • Tomhoffman84
    Options
    7.25 miles yesterday, 1008 calories...58 minutes, weigh 184.

MFP says 1008, Nike+ Running says 1066, I go with the lower, never "certain"...just have to do your best. Did you know FDA allows food labels to be up to 25% off on their calorie totals and other nutritional info?
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Based on my HRM records lately I am burning 10 cals/minute while running at a moderate pace. So it's not hard to burn 1000 calories if you do a long run.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options

Heart Rate Monitor.
  • iBreatheMusic88
    Options
    I burn between 700-1000 on the eliptical depending on how much work Im putting in, within 65-70 mins however if I dont reach the 1000, I go on the tred mill and run/jog/walk until I get there.... It is possible, you are dead tired afterwards and it is time consuming, but you feel AMAZING when your done,,, YOU CAN DO IT! :flowerforyou:
  • chellec23
    chellec23 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    These numbers might be an error.

For example, when I am on the elliptical at the gym I enter my age and weight, continually take my heart rate, and have levels set. The machine calculates how many calories I burn based on weight, age, level, intensity, etc. When I tell MFP that I was on the elliptical for 60 minutes, it says I burned over 1100 calories, even though I know that it was more like 700 from what the machine at the gym calculated. The numbers MFP gives you is not always accurate because their algorithm or whatever they use does not know your intensity or level.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options

I don't know if it was exactly that much but it was what the garmin calculated using the (claimed) most accurate HRM method available right now. Secondly, if I calculate it using MET values (which have scientific support) I get a value of 1567 calories for that workout. FWIW - MFP calculates using the MET values.

So I feel pretty safe in assuming it was at least 1376 if not several hundred more.

Why is this important? Because if you are burning 1000 to 2000 calories each day running you need some metric to determine how much extra food to eat. If you eat way to much you gain weight. If you eat way too little your training crashes.

Unless someone wants to volunteer to accompany me on all my runs with a metabolic cart I'll have to stick to the garmin.
  • weinbagel
    weinbagel Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    i just did this last night, haha. My workout was 2 hours long though...
  • kendzini13
    kendzini13 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I burn over 1000 when I do a 42km cycle... Takes about 90minutes
  • tammymusic1
    tammymusic1 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    yeah I noticed the more weight I am loosing the less calories I am burning doing the same exercises.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Daily commute by bike each way: 24 miles, 90 minutes and 1100 - 1300 calories as recorded by my heart rate monitor and other estimates (Endomondo, MFP).

I did a double-century (200 miles) on my bike last year over two days. My HRM recorded about 5000 calories burned each day for a total of 10,000 with a total saddle time of 13 hours!
  • fluffychicken7
    fluffychicken7 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I burn 1000 or more kcals almost everyday, but that is only because l work out for 2 hours or more everyday. But don't get too caught up in a number, if you're outputting a number of your own, then congrats! you're doing your part.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    How are people accomplishing this? The only way I am able to is by going on hikes for hours.

I have no idea either. I suppose a number of factors - some mistaken, some not. I've never even come close to that even on my best days and I'm a big girl. Maybe if I spent the entire day at the gym! :laugh:
  • dbmata
    Options

I don't know if it was exactly that much but it was what the garmin calculated using the (claimed) most accurate HRM method available right now. Secondly, if I calculate it using MET values (which have scientific support) I get a value of 1567 calories for that workout. FWIW - MFP calculates using the MET values.

So I feel pretty safe in assuming it was at least 1376 if not several hundred more.

Why is this important? Because if you are burning 1000 to 2000 calories each day running you need some metric to determine how much extra food to eat. If you eat way to much you gain weight. If you eat way too little your training crashes.

Unless someone wants to volunteer to accompany me on all my runs with a metabolic cart I'll have to stick to the garmin.

I'll have to look into that, because sometimes I log my workouts, see the calorie result, cry BS and cut it in half. I'm sorry, a one hour boxing work out is not 700 calories.

I'll have to check my HRM, I think it lacks that tracking ability. It is interesting, that there may actually be an accurate basis for the numbers provided.
  • calivandewoestyne
    calivandewoestyne Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    On a Saturday that involves golfing, and high intensity Zumba, Im at about 1300 calories burned there. Thats just at my weight though - and carrying my clubs around a 18 hold golf course for 3 hours! :tongue: