Burning 1,000 + calories during a workout

Options

Replies

• AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I burned 1376 cal this morning running 12 miles in 101 minutes. That's a little over 13 cal/min. I'm not all that heavy either at 178 lbs. You just have to be in decent shape and willing to put in the work.

How do you know you burned precisely this much?

That's what I'm not getting, how do people "know" this?
    I don't know if it was exactly that much but it was what the garmin calculated using the (claimed) most accurate HRM method available right now. Secondly, if I calculate it using MET values (which have scientific support) I get a value of 1567 calories for that workout. FWIW - MFP calculates using the MET values.

So I feel pretty safe in assuming it was at least 1376 if not several hundred more.

Why is this important? Because if you are burning 1000 to 2000 calories each day running you need some metric to determine how much extra food to eat. If you eat way to much you gain weight. If you eat way too little your training crashes.

Unless someone wants to volunteer to accompany me on all my runs with a metabolic cart I'll have to stick to the garmin.

I'll have to look into that, because sometimes I log my workouts, see the calorie result, cry BS and cut it in half. I'm sorry, a one hour boxing work out is not 700 calories.

I'll have to check my HRM, I think it lacks that tracking ability. It is interesting, that there may actually be an accurate basis for the numbers provided.

You'd be surprise. My work out on Sundays is Bowling - I used just MFP to do it and called BS and cut off an hour of a half of it. The sunday after that I had my HRM on the full time and found that I burned over 800 calories in less than 3 hours. If you really want to know - get a HRM - I promise some of your work outs will really surprise you with how much you're burning.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I use a treadmill that counts calories burned and if that is accurate, I can burn 1000 running about 9 mph on the highest incline setting in about an hour (I really like running so I do it)-- it's especially easy for me during summer since I'll run 40-60 and then go swimming for a few hours (MFP calculators say you can burn over 300 calories in an hour for "leisurely swimming"). I don't know if it's completely accurate but that's the best info I have and I assume that even if my counting is overestimated, it's not too big a deal as I've managed to lose weight the way I'm doing things and haven't had any adverse health affects. If you have time and like your workouts a lot, you can burn that much.
  • backpacker44
    backpacker44 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I burned 1376 cal this morning running 12 miles in 101 minutes. That's a little over 13 cal/min. I'm not all that heavy either at 178 lbs. You just have to be in decent shape and willing to put in the work.

How do you know you burned precisely this much?

That's what I'm not getting, how do people "know" this?
    I don't know if it was exactly that much but it was what the garmin calculated using the (claimed) most accurate HRM method available right now. Secondly, if I calculate it using MET values (which have scientific support) I get a value of 1567 calories for that workout. FWIW - MFP calculates using the MET values.

So I feel pretty safe in assuming it was at least 1376 if not several hundred more.

Why is this important? Because if you are burning 1000 to 2000 calories each day running you need some metric to determine how much extra food to eat. If you eat way to much you gain weight. If you eat way too little your training crashes.

Unless someone wants to volunteer to accompany me on all my runs with a metabolic cart I'll have to stick to the garmin.

I'll have to look into that, because sometimes I log my workouts, see the calorie result, cry BS and cut it in half. I'm sorry, a one hour boxing work out is not 700 calories.

I'll have to check my HRM, I think it lacks that tracking ability. It is interesting, that there may actually be an accurate basis for the numbers provided.

You'd be surprise. My work out on Sundays is Bowling - I used just MFP to do it and called BS and cut off an hour of a half of it. The sunday after that I had my HRM on the full time and found that I burned over 800 calories in less than 3 hours. If you really want to know - get a HRM - I promise some of your work outs will really surprise you with how much you're burning.

800 calories from bowling? Did you run with the ball? Haha, thats crazy!
  • bailyc
    bailyc Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    "
    "
    [/quote]

I box for an hour every day and my HRM reads between 850-950 each class. I am 5'4, 173, and female. It is definitely possible.
  • Sherriediva1
    Sherriediva1 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I am overweight and not in great shape but I have WILLPOWER! An Insanity workout, with a dog walk right after (walking the dog feels like nothing after Insanity) and then 1.5 hrs later....my martial arts class. That's a HRM calculated burn of almost 1200 cals. Then I sleep very well!!
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    HIIT will crush calories if you can keep up. But the heavier a person is the harder they have to work and burn more calories in general because they are larger. Various Insanity workouts for me range from 300-600 cals depending on which one I'm doing.

And thanks to the people that mentioned Fitness Blender! I'm checking it out :)
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    bumping to read later!
  • Lauran845
    Lauran845 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I just walked 30 min on my lunch break and I burned 577 cal. I am also very tall and "solid". My shorter, lighter friend burned 235 cal. Tonight I am going to go for a 45 min bike ride and that usually burns 750 cals. I use Endomondo and it calculates for me.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Go running (at a descent speed) for an hour and its pretty easy to burn 1000+ cal

I ran for 75 min last weekend and only burned about 750.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I just walked 30 min on my lunch break and I burned 577 cal. I am also very tall and "solid". My shorter, lighter friend burned 235 cal. Tonight I am going to go for a 45 min bike ride and that usually burns 750 cals. I use Endomondo and it calculates for me.

577 seems very high for a 30 min walk. I run for 30 min and only burn 200 something. Seems very high for the bike ride as well.
  • PamelaGatorMom
    PamelaGatorMom Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I'm over 200 pounds and like others I use a Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) with chest band.
    Yesterday I did a 60 minutes Bodypump class and it was 485 calories burned (this was actually lower than normally because they did a new routine and I was unable to do part of it)
    I then did 40 minutes on the elliptical machine burned 462 calories and 20 minutes swimming laps in the pool for 244 calories.
    That is a total of 1,191 calories burned, it did take me 2 hours to do it.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options

577 seems very high for a 30 min walk. I run for 30 min and only burn 200 something. Seems very high for the bike ride as well.

Goodness I rode my bike an hour yesterday and only burned around 290. Maybe I'm not trying hard enough!
  • DiamondHC
    DiamondHC Posts: 3
    Options
    I am entering the exercises I do daily and all the calories I am eating and although I am not using up all the calories I am not losing weight help what am I doing wrong!!
  • Tomhoffman84
    Options

Say wha? Even at 184lbs, if I run for 35 minutes at 8:30 pace mph that would barely get to 560....some funky math there
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I don't know, I ran 11 miles Saturday and only burned around 700.

How do you know?

HRM...I know you can't always trust them but I always get around the same result for that amount of time/miles on two different monitors.
  • mortyfit
    mortyfit Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    How are people accomplishing this? The only way I am able to is by going on hikes for hours.

I think maybe people are just lying to themselves?

Weight and average heart rate both make a big difference.
    Any run of 7+ miles at my normal training speed will put me over 1,000 cals burned.
  • mortyfit
    mortyfit Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I do it just about everyday. I have also burned 3000+ cals in one continuous workout(4 hours). Lots of handwork, effort and time. I use an HRM and subtract 10% off of that to get my burn. No lying to myself here.

Most recent time was a few weeks ago when for charity I took 4 one hour spin classes in the same day and burned over 3000 cals. I actually did 19 spin classes that week and burned 18000 cals for the week.

Damn, man. Impressive! Your legs had to be quivering, jellyfied messes by the end of the week!
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Takes me about 80 minutes on the elliptical to burn 1000 calories. On Sundays during football season I spend the whole game on it for 21/2 -3 hours burning about 1800-2200 calories. SUnday I watched Django Unchained from start to finish on the elliptical for the same burn. It's just a question of building up your endurance
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    running about 9 mph on the highest incline setting in about an hour

Dang girl!! I *want* your fitness level!!!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Circuit training. Not JM workouts but ACTUAL circuit training. Jump rope.