Think before you post.

Options

Replies

• sweetbippy
    sweetbippy Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    You're on the Internet, people. Stop assuming any single one of you is more "knowledgeable" than any other. Virtually not a ONE of us is experts and most of us don't even have access to the full subscription databases that would be required to read any independent research. Even a flipping doctor on here would say he/she can't tell you SQUAT about you without examining you so it's all CONJECTURE.

We're all idiots. All of you on a high horse jump off and go outside or do something besides recieve gratification for use of this forum. All of you getting offended recognize these people on the Internet don't matter and being offended is a waste of your time. Everyone who can present their OPINION (that's what it is, an OPINION not fact) in a nice, friendly way and accept that others have different OPINIONS continue to use this site as it is intended.

Exactly this! I was just wondering how these certain people got the "expert" gold start by their name! How do you know in real life they aren't 500 lbs., junk food eating, couch jockeys who know absolutely nothing about fitness, diet, or "science". Because they say so? Having all their credentials after their name also doesn't prove a thing!
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    You're on the Internet, people. Stop assuming any single one of you is more "knowledgeable" than any other. Virtually not a ONE of us is experts and most of us don't even have access to the full subscription databases that would be required to read any independent research. Even a flipping doctor on here would say he/she can't tell you SQUAT about you without examining you so it's all CONJECTURE.

We're all idiots. All of you on a high horse jump off and go outside or do something besides recieve gratification for use of this forum. All of you getting offended recognize these people on the Internet don't matter and being offended is a waste of your time. Everyone who can present their OPINION (that's what it is, an OPINION not fact) in a nice, friendly way and accept that others have different OPINIONS continue to use this site as it is intended.

Exactly this! I was just wondering how these certain people got the "expert" gold start by their name! How do you know in real life they aren't 500 lbs., junk food eating, couch jockeys who know absolutely nothing about fitness, diet, or "science". Because they say so? Having all their credentials after their name also doesn't prove a thing!
    Well then you can choose not to listen to those 'experts' who routinely have proven themselves as beneficial for many of us who have struggled over the years. Those experts are willing to post and link peer reviewed scientific data with credible sources. Not links to Vogue and Self magazine or some blog that ultimately is pushing a gimmick diet or product.
    Those experts have developed a following because what they have learned and passed on has not only helped them achieve incredible results but has helped countless others. Including myself. How have you been here since 2011 an not noticed who is full of BS and who isn't? Its not that hard to see who is trying to sell you nonsense.

And you know I just wanted to add that Sara and Sidesteel are not 'friends' of mine. I have never spoken to either. And yet I have still managed to ascertain that these two not only practice what they preach, but are doing so to help anyone that wants it. I mentioned them because they were two of the experts that chimed in on this guy's original post with valid responses.
  • RhodRhod
    RhodRhod Posts: 109
    Options
    I really don't know what all the hub bub is about but could someone please explain the starvation mode to me? Snicker, snicker! I'm really sorry you got your feelings hurt but really just ignore them.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    All "facts" on the internet are equal.*

(*apparently, only applies to MFP.)

tumblr_mjzatprBOf1rvez7qo4_r2_250_zpsc2ee8815.gif
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I really don't know what all the hub bub is about but could someone please explain the starvation mode to me? Snicker, snicker! I'm really sorry you got your feelings hurt but really just ignore them.

Didn'tcha know .. if you go for like 5 minutes without eating something, your body goes into starvation mode and you start burning muscle? But at the same time, if you dont eat for a few hours and feel hungry, you're not really hungry, you're just thirsty.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    All "facts" on the internet are equal.*

(*apparently, only applies to MFP.)

tumblr_mjzatprBOf1rvez7qo4_r2_250_zpsc2ee8815.gif

:love:
  • ergumm
    ergumm Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I personally think you should be able to post whatever you want to and each person has their right to approve or disapprove but not attack or try to make you look stupid. There are soooooo many different theories out there. I can pick up a new magazine every week and it will tell me to try something else. I don't judge people by their beliefs weather it be weight loss or religion or climate changes. Post anything you like and don't get caught up with the negative. Skip over it and move on! Enjoy your day and don't let others get you down :-)
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    The 'pack' people talk about is just those who know their shiz. When I posted my first topic at MFP, I got called a 'special snowflake' by someone. You know what? They were right. I was doing it wrong. I spent years buying into low-calorie BS, but these people set me straight. I'm not friends with them, and typically have only interacted with many of them on forum threads, but they have helped me into the best body of my life. I wasn't here to make lifelong friends (though some of those people are pretty awesome), I was here to get a rockin' body fat %. Those 'gold star' members helped. So what if they didn't hold my hand and shower me with rainbow kisses every step of the way?
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

xVv4FcT.gif

Please tell me that you are joking? Pretty please? Just in case you aren't: there actually are people out there who know more than other people about any given subject. This is accomplished through not only education, but also an individual's ability to think logically and differentiate between fact and fiction (aka: cleanses, toxins and other magical thinking) when presented with facts. We are talking about actual facts, that take into account that correlation =/= causation. Aka: a large scale study with controls versus "My auntie Mabel used to be fat, but she blinked 4 times every minute while curling her toes for 6 months and has lost 50 lbs! Therefor, blinking 4 times every minute while curling your toes will make me lose weight! Yay!". People's ability to take in information and process it accurately varies, as does the quality of their education.
  • sullus
    Options
    ... I don't judge people by their beliefs weather it be weight loss or religion or climate changes....

I do.
  • cally69
    cally69 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Facts are facts.
    Fact.
  • sullus
    Options
    Facts are facts.
    Fact.

Well that's *your* opinion. heh.
  • cally69
    cally69 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I was speaking factually.
    And that's a fact.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    Who needs facebook drama when we have this?
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    Not everybody on the site is trying to lose weight. I would say we're fighting *for* health.
    Some of us aren't fighting at all. We're here for the hookers and blow.

I like your style
  • sullus
    Options
    Not everybody on the site is trying to lose weight. I would say we're fighting *for* health.
    Some of us aren't fighting at all. We're here for the hookers and blow.

I like your style

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRs05btLzRtpPrgzIaY7D-xbYQDXxJ05EICxYnGS95JKzf7yrlxqQ
  • suzieqsmart
    suzieqsmart Posts: 47
    Options
    I personally think you should be able to post whatever you want to and each person has their right to approve or disapprove but not attack or try to make you look stupid. There are soooooo many different theories out there. I can pick up a new magazine every week and it will tell me to try something else. I don't judge people by their beliefs weather it be weight loss or religion or climate changes. Post anything you like and don't get caught up with the negative. Skip over it and move on! Enjoy your day and don't let others get you down :-)

Yup. Everyone is different. Different things work for different people. Each to their own.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Facts are facts.
    Fact.

Well that's *your* opinion. heh.

2933426-opinion.jpg
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    I was speaking factually.
    And that's a fact.

Facts are simple and facts are straight
    Facts are lazy and facts are late
    Facts all come with points of view
    Facts don't do what I want them to
    Facts just twist the truth around
    Facts are living turned inside out
    Facts are getting the best of them
    Facts are nothing on the face of things
    Facts don't stain the furniture
    Facts go out and slam the door
    Facts are written all over your face
    Facts continue to change their shape
  • suzieqsmart
    suzieqsmart Posts: 47
    Options
    This is strictly my OPINION: There should be a "Like" button on MFP.