What to do with sweet potatoes?

Options

Replies

• knitbytes
    knitbytes Posts: 114
    Options
    Roast them in a tiny bit of olive oil with garlic, basil, and a little sea salt. Super delicious! You can mix in regular potatoes, carrots, parsnips, etc if you want more variety.
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Stuffed with ground turkey (with lots of spices..whatever you like, I make mine Mexican so cumin, cayenne, etc), red salsa, green salsa and FF sour cream or Greek Yogurt. DELISH!
  • melfitnesspal13
    melfitnesspal13 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Aside from baking and using as a side dish, I use it in my Caribbean Chicken Soup

Chicken - Dark meat, meat only, 1 cup, chopped or diced
    Potatoes - Boiled, cooked without skin, flesh, without salt, 1 large
    Sweet Potato - Boiled, 2 cup cubes
    1-2 large carrots, chopped in small pieces
    Onion (Medium), 1 med
    Red Bell Pepper - 1/2 Pepper
    Garlic (Clove), 3 cloves
    Raw - Cilantro, 0.25 cup
    Oregano - Dried Oregano, 3 Tsp
    Spices - Cumin, 2 tsp
    Chicken stock (from boiling the chicken)
    salt and pepper to taste

Place chicken in the pot, with spices. Cook for about 1.5 hrs. Remove the chicken and chop it up, or you can save the chicken for a nice chicken salad and just use the broth. Add the rest of the ingredients to the chicken stock and boil for another 60 mins. You may also add some broccoli or any other low cal vegetable. If you decide to add the chicken do so when you have 30 mins remaining. Enjoy!
  • jrbb03092
    jrbb03092 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    My favourite pizza place does a tandoori sweet potato pizza which is soooo good and which made me seek out this recipe which is absolutely scrumptious:

Tandoori Sweet Potatoes

2 sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
    1 tablespoon tandoori paste (I use Patak's)
    1 tablespoon canola oil
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
    cooking spray

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Spray small rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.

Put sliced sweet potatoes, tandoori paste, canola oil, salt and red pepper flakes to bowl. Stir until the sweet potatoes are well coated.

Pour onto the prepared baking sheet & separate into a single layer.

Bake 10 minutes on middle rack. Flip and bake another 5-10 minutes.

Remove from oven and eat! Yum :)
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Chinese Five Spice is very good as a seasoning for sweet potatoes too. Add a little more cayenne pepper for a kick.
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I cut them up into strips sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon on them and then bake until they are a consistancy I like.
  • mk_hammer
    mk_hammer Posts: 105
    Options
    I "bake" mine in the crock pot! You can also do this with white potatoes. Just wrap them in foil and leave them in the crock pot on low for 8 hours.
  • glynda66
    glynda66 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Plant them in a pot! The make beautiful plants PLUS in the fall you will have sweet potatoes galore!:smile:
  • 3171kelly
    3171kelly Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I love sweet potatoes ! Just the way they are I eat them almost everyday in my salad at dinner. Just nuke it and cut it up and put it in your salad! Yummy! SOO good for you too. Skin and all :)
  • wadair
    wadair Posts: 31
    Options
    Sauteed with sweet onions (my fave), baked, roasted with garlic and portobellas ... it's all good stuff. : )
  • 424a57
    424a57 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I usually shred sweet potatoes to make sweet potato hashbrowns. (Stir-fry it with onions, salt, garlic powder and paprika) Crack an egg into it and you have a tasty breakfast

That sounds interesting. Do you cook them before shredding? When I cook hashbrowns, it is usually with left-over baked potatoes.
  • rachaelbarton
    rachaelbarton Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I like mine with smart balance, cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg if I'm craving something sweet. They also make awesome fries if you bake them in the oven with a drizzle of olive oil, lemon pepper and cayenne. I also recently made a pudding out of sweet potatoes by cooking them, food processing them, and then mixing them with a dollop of plain greek yogurt, maple syrup, cocoa powder and vanilla extract. It wasn't a precise thing, I just kinda tossed it all in and mixed it around. After I chilled it for awhile it was actually pretty tasty. Very filling, and a little sweet/chocolaty :)
  • suzieqsmart
    suzieqsmart Posts: 47
    Options
    Crockpot African Peanut Soup

1 onion, chopped
    1 green pepper, chopped
    1 - 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes
    6 chicken thighs with skin removed
    1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
    3 cups water
    1 cup peanut butter (creamy or chunky - whichever you like)

All all ingredients except peanut butter to crockpot and cook on high for 1 hour and turn down heat to low for 2-3 hours. (optional - take out chicken thighs, remove bones and shred chicken to return to crock pot). Add peanut butter. Cook on low for 1 hour. 8 servings, 350 calories per serving, 17 carbs, 22 sugar (but sadly 531 mg sodium)

This sounds yummy!! Just a slight alteration, perhaps? Use fresh diced tomatoes instead of canned. That would do wonders for the sodium. :happy:
  • reese373
    reese373 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    dont skip the Cinnamon it lowers your LDL and has tons of other health benefits.
  • cjvvus
    cjvvus Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    you can make baked fries. cut like fries spray with pam and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper or seasonings of choice bake until tender.
  • ThatDamnRobyn
    ThatDamnRobyn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I like to bake it and then cut it open and put just a little bit of butter and sea salt and pepper.
  • LaviMc
    LaviMc Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Mashed 'em and add some cinnamon and nutmeg. The spices add natural sweetness without the calories and the fat. Plus, they'll taste kinda "dessert-y".
  • Lauraplane
    Lauraplane Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I usually shred sweet potatoes to make sweet potato hashbrowns. (Stir-fry it with onions, salt, garlic powder and paprika) Crack an egg into it and you have a tasty breakfast
    Great idea! I love sweet potatoes, gonna try this.