30 Day Shred - Starting April 15 2013

Replies

• SherryLynn82
    SherryLynn82 Posts: 69 Member
    I did L2D1 today *yes, I know I'm a little late!* but I kind of thought it was more fun than Level 1! I like the holding better than the up and down and it's so much easier on my weak ankle...I didn't make it all the way through without a little cheating of course, but it was only the first day!
  • leeroxboro
    leeroxboro Posts: 142 Member
    L2D5 down, HALFWAY THERE!! And once again, I'm still alive!! Managed 25 squat thrusts today, up from 15 yesterday. My shoulders and arms still won't let me do a plank jack, don't know if they will any time soon!!

Johla, it is a small world!! I checked your profile, and was wondering where you teach? I have two teachers who teach at Roxboro Community School....and I agree, I'd better be at least close to smoking hot when I get done with this!!

SherryLynn Even though level 2 is challenging me more in some respects, I like it better too. Mainly because it's easier on my weak knee, maybe there's something about this level that's easier on the joints??

Aliann I was sweating a LOT more today than any other....I think maybe it's because in the back of my mind I knew I'm coming up on 2 rest days, so I put in just a tiny bit more effort!!

Melissa KUDOS to you for keeping up with Natalie on those moves!! I'm hoping I will one day be able to....maybe if I did 3 or 4 rounds of 30 day shred!!

PS.....I thought I was feeling so drained the past couple of days from being tired (since this is the first time I've done exercises in like 15 years. Turns out, my monthly visitor decided to show up a few days early!! At least the worst couple of days will be over with when I get back Monday!!
  • Amy_Andrews
    Amy_Andrews Posts: 106
    Did Level 2 Day 1 yesterday and leave it to Jillian to make you feel like you've accomplished NOTHING in the previous level.
  • aliann30
    aliann30 Posts: 291 Member
    L2D5 done WOOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!!

LOL Amy - I TOTALLY agree! However, I definitely feel like I'm progressing even FASTER in level 2! I only just finished Day 5 and I'm already able to make it almost all the way through the plank jacks (when the first day, and even yesterday I was struggling just doing the modified version!). Today I did almost the entire first set of squat thrusts with Natalie, then had to modify the second set with Anita. I did both sets of plank jacks with Natalie though!!! Although it did KILL me and I could barely keep up with the jump ropes. I am so stoked and shocked and PROUD of what my body is accomplishing! Definitely took a LOT less breaks today, and even made it all the way through the first set of oblique twists nonstop.

Now for a 2 day break and back on Monday!!! Happy weekend everyone!!! :drinker:
  • SAB8A
    SAB8A Posts: 27 Member
    L2D5.. Glad I did it because the fat girl in me wanted to take a rest day today which I'm saving for Sundays.. I was shocked with myself because this day I actually was able to go through the majority of the workout without stopping.. So excited about that plus I burned more calories today than I had from the beginning of this level.
  • chipmunk_87
    chipmunk_87 Posts: 42
    Level 2 Day 1 - ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG. Jillian is EVIL AND RIDICULOUS.
  • travlinmel101
    travlinmel101 Posts: 243 Member
    Happy to report - LEVEL 2 DONE!!!! YAY!!!!! Keep it up everyone!!!! I'm gonna take a break tomorrow and Monday, onto Level 3!!!
  • travlinmel101
    OMG...I'm only watching the warm-up of L3 and I'm already scared!!! (double jump rope and butt kicks in the warm-up?!?)

BTW - am I the only one who can't reach their hand to the opposite foot on the "high kicks"? I'm sure it's because my arms are too short ;)

PS - Looks like Anita and I will be pretty good friends again!
  • alisa1958
    alisa1958 Posts: 16
    I am also starting AGAIN JM 30Day Shred. Today was my first day. I am also doing JM Ripped In 30.
    I do them back to back giving me a total of 40minutes of excersing. I am on level one for both. I plan on doing what you are doing, 10days for each level. What poundage of weights do you use? For the 30 Day Shred they just recommend one set of weights and for JM Ripped in 30 they recommend one set of light and one set of heavy weights. I use 3, 5 and 10lb dumbbells. The 10lb
    are for the chest flys she does on the floor with the Shred video. Are you able to do the military push ups or do you have to be on your knees? How do you record it on here. I use general circuit training.
  • alisa1958
    alisa1958 Posts: 16
    So today L1D1 of the Shred and the same for Ripped in 30. Is anyone else doing the Shred and her RIpped in 30 at the
    same time? I just didn't think a 20minute workout is all the exercise I should get in one day so I double up her workouts.
    I have to say her side lunges really bothers my knees. I don't think I am doing it right. Anybody else has issues with the side
    lunges with front raises. Other then that all the other moves are OK for me.
  • travlinmel101
    WOW - great job, alisa! Not doing it at the same time, but thinking about doing "Ripped" later. The funny thing about the side lunges is that the part that hurt me were the arm raises :) I usually have no problems with my knees (knock on wood!), but Level 2 of 30DS seems to be bothering them just a little bit. I had to start with 2lbs and then I was able to use 5lbs (on most movements) towards the end of Level 1 & Level 2. I've made it up to 15 in-a-row "on my knees" push-ups and about 3/4s of a "real" one :) Yep, circuit training...but the calories burned seemed a little high, so I lowered them just to be safe :) Best of Luck!
  • chipmunk_87
    Level 2 Day 2 down. Not as bad as yesterday but still crazy hard! The cardio in level 2 is sooo much harder for me than level 1. And those V-raises!
  • corrsfan
    corrsfan Posts: 26
    Hi everyone!

@travlinmel101: I couldn't touch my foot during the high kicks at first but I was able to after a few days. Like most of the other moves, it does eventually get easier (I hope to someday be able to say that about the Natalie Push-ups because I am nowhere near able to do even one of those :-))

4 more days to go till this 30DS is done. I've been comparing photos from before I started to this point and I'm thrilled that I can see a change even though it's a small one. This morning I woke up and I was just so sick of this workout and couldn't imagine doing it 5 more times but I guess that happens when you've been doing the same thing over and over and over. So I am really looking forward to moving on to something else next week. I think I'll start with Walk Away the Pounds cause Leslie Sansone is so kind and gentle and I need that after 6 weeks of Jillian Michaels.
  • leeroxboro
    L2D6 done!! I really didn't want to get started this morning, but now that it's over and I'm "well on my way to being shredded", I'm so glad I did!!

Alisa, I couldn't imagine doing both workouts in the same day!! Just the one is all I can handle!!

Aliann...congrats on the plank jacks, today was the first day I was able to do ANY!! I think the 2 rest days did my body good!!
  • chipmunk_87
    Level 2 Day 3 done. It is starting to get a little easier but some exercises are still crazily hard (squat thrusts and v-lifts are my least favourite). I like all the lunges though!
  • travlinmel101
    I am happy to report, that WITHOUT A DOUBT, I'd rather do L3 than L2 - YAY!!!! Best "Day 1" ever! :) I always allow myself my own "warm-up" of some kind, so Jillian's wasn't as bad as it looked when I watched it. I was really surprised by my abilities this workout! The first strength move of C1 are "walking planks," these were the kind of "planks" that I traditionally think of, where you hold yourself up on your forearms/elbows - I could never even do one of these...now, I was doing it, holding myself up and even doing the "walking" part AND WITH NATALIE!!! Ok, I couldn't do "all" of them, but pretty close for Day 1! I did feel a little "extra burn" on some of the leg-strengthening moves, so I'm thinking I'll be a little sore in the morning (kind of like L1), but I'm feeling really good about my next 9 days!!!

Keep going everyone...we're doing great and we will be shredded!!!
  • chipmunk_87
    Level 2 Day 4 done! Its got a lot quieter in here... is everyone still going???
  • chipmunk_87
    I am happy to report, that WITHOUT A DOUBT, I'd rather do L3 than L2 - YAY!!!! Best "Day 1" ever! :) I always allow myself my own "warm-up" of some kind, so Jillian's wasn't as bad as it looked when I watched it. I was really surprised by my abilities this workout! The first strength move of C1 are "walking planks," these were the kind of "planks" that I traditionally think of, where you hold yourself up on your forearms/elbows - I could never even do one of these...now, I was doing it, holding myself up and even doing the "walking" part AND WITH NATALIE!!! Ok, I couldn't do "all" of them, but pretty close for Day 1! I did feel a little "extra burn" on some of the leg-strengthening moves, so I'm thinking I'll be a little sore in the morning (kind of like L1), but I'm feeling really good about my next 9 days!!!

Keep going everyone...we're doing great and we will be shredded!!!

Great to hear the positive review of Level 3! I am really not enjoying Level 2, although I can tell its a great workout and is making me stronger. I'm struggling with keeping my arms directly under my shoulders for the Level 2 planks and I think the forearm planks might be easier.
  • kitjos
    kitjos Posts: 158 Member
    Im still on Level 1 - day 7. Seem to be dragging! lol. Having a fab time doing it (although my knee's hurt quite abit) and already seeing results with lbs lost & inches. Will LOVE to see results in another 23 days ;)

You ladies seem to be doing well on L2 & L3 - keep it up =)

x
  • leeroxboro
    L2 D7 done!! I still can't do all of the v raises, but I did manage to push through both sets of squat thrusts, and one set of jump planks, although I need to work on my form quite a bit!!

Kitjos, my right knee gave me a fit, to the point where I thought I was going to have to find a different program....I don't know what happened, but it hasn't bothered me at all in the past couple of days. I guess I'm getting stronger!!

mel, thanks for the report on level 3!! I was so dreading it until I read your post, now I have yet another reason to want to "graduate" out of level 2!!

Chipmunk, I still have to put my weights down in order to finish those v raises, I really need to work on upper body strength!!

It has gotten quiet in here....there's no way I would have gone this far without "checking in" here daily!! Please don't leave me all alone with JM!!
  • Amy_Andrews
    Amy_Andrews Posts: 106
    Did L2D4 yesterday and it is getting easier, but i don't like this level. Is Level 3 any better? I hate alternating lunges!!!

Hubby told me yesterday that my back is looking slim again. Guess all those row and V raises are helping.
  • SAB8A
    L2 D6 done on Saturday but I didn't check in and then I did L2 D7 Sunday.. Yesterday was rest because I was not feeling good but I plan on getting back in it today. I also started doing about a 10 minute workout I found at Prevention.com that are done on the wall and all while watching my shows.. I have been doing that now for 4 days and let me tell you it is not easy because Gravity makes it harder to do the moves. My bum/hips/and thighs are hurting bad when I get done but I think it has helped with the 30DS because I was able to hang throughout the DVD as possible.. The Plank Jacks and Double Jump Rope still killed me but I was able to push through the majority of the DVD. I know by the end of the week I'll be able to hang (at least I keep saying that) =)

Oh and on a great note I had my FIRST NSV since starting... I'm wearing slacks I wasn't able to fit in and now can button them up and still have a little breathing room. So yes this works just got to keep at it
  • melissa112
    melissa112 Posts: 99 Member
    I've just done Level 3 Day 1. I had a little trouble with my left arm which I haven't noticed before, so although I could do most of the stuff (Anita helped :P) my arm let me down a bit! Like Mel, I did feel this was the best Day 1 though! Mel, I also think I'm going to be a little sore tomorrow, as in Level 1 style, but I think in a few days we will feel much better! :D

Amy, I'm afraid there are lunges in Level 3 too. You can either do jumping ones, where you jump & push off from the leg you're bending into a lunge, but Anita does them without the jump. I switched between Natalie and Anita for those.

But Level 3 is soooo much better than Level 2. There are mountain climbers though but I felt the plank stuff in L3 wasn't anywhere near as bad as L2. And none of those horrid V raises, nothing like that!

Sabba, well done on the NSV!! I'm hoping to try on some jeans at the end of L3 which were a bit tight a month ago, fingers crossed they feel a little better!

Lee, glad your knee is feeling a little better. I thought I'd have to switch in L1 as my calves were really bad, but they've been fine since. I guess our bodies aren't protesting as much now that we are stronger :)

chipmunk I really do think you will find L3 better :) kitjos, great that you are seeing results already, that's amazing!

Keep it up everyone!!
  • aliann30
    I'm still here! Took two more rest days than normal because my body has just rebelled. The past two days I have been seriously DEAD exhausted, no energy at all. I'm feeling much better today, so will resume with L2D6 today. I HATE being behind though. :ohwell:

I'm going to try to work through the weekend this time, then start L3 either Monday or Tuesday (depending on if I need a day break in between the levels).

Amy - I hate the pendulum lunges too - it's just an awkward movement to me and I feel off balance.

lee - I'm so glad you're knee is better and you are getting stronger!

Glad you sent me that message, Travlinmel, and glad I checked back in the room before doing it today. My body AND mind haven't been into it the past few days and this has definitely reminded me of the progress we've all made - yall are doing awesome and I don't want to be left behind!!! :wink:
  • chipmunk_87
    Good to see so many people still on board! Keep it up everyone, we're getting closer and closer!

I did Level 2 Day 5 today. Half way! Its getting easier and easier, and more fun. Its great getting the hang of the moves so I can concentrate harder on actually working hard. One thing I do find a but frustrating is that in the combined arms and legs strength movements I really struggle with the arms, which means I don't push myself as hard as I could with the leg parts. This is particularly the case with the v-raises and chair squats, and the one in the first set, I can't remember what its called, the row/squat one.
  • aliann30
    L2D6 done :)

I definitely feel like the 4 day hiatus pulled me back a little, but not much. Glad I'm back on board.

chipmunk - (you're pic is too dang cute btw!) I really struggle with the v raises too! I had to stop a couple times today and just do the v raises without the squats. Hoping I'll be much better at it by D10.

14 days to go! :)
  • leeroxboro
    L2 D8 down....My arms killed me during the plank moves...I'm not sure why, but I'm chalking it up to the push mower. I try to push mow 30 minutes a day when I get off work (by the time I finish the yard, it's time to start all over) but until yesterday I hadn't done so since Wednesday of last week. Plus those V raises are hitting some sort of muscle I never knew existed!! At least I know they're there now and can work on getting them stronger!! I really hope they're better tomorrow because I couldn't do any plank jacks today and yesterday I did a whole set!!

One thing I can say about this program is it's really let me know that I have quite a few muscles that really I really need to work on getting stronger!!

Aliann, it's so good to hear from you!! You're really not behind!!

Travlinmel, thank you for sending aliann the message and for all of your support and kind words!!

Melissa, I hope your arm gets along okay...

Sab8a...congrats on the NSV and kudos for you if you can do the plank jacks and/or double jump ropes!!

Amy...so glad to hear the hubby is noticing your progress. It always motivates just a little more when the hubby notices something!!
  • SAB8A
    L2 D8 done yesterday after work. I'm so happy I got that workout in because I usually do them in the morning but with my Husband's work schedule changing for the next 4 days we are doing them after work and yesterday would have been easy to say I don't have time because we had a family dinner to go to after work. I made my exercise a Priority and got it done and was still able to make the dinner without everyone waiting on me (like they usually do =/) Also my family noticed my loss so that makes me smile and want to push harder =) This Level almost done and off to Level 3.

Mel: I'm so happy to hear you prefer Level 3 to Level 2 because honestly I was scared because if L2 is this intense I had all manners of torture in my head for L3. I'll make sure to watch it a day before doing it so I know what it will consist of.

LeeRox: thanks for the congrats. I am having trouble still with my arms during the V Raises. I have noticed that I was able to do the first set without stopping but on the 2nd set I had to do some lunges without the raises but yes my shoulders were BURNING even with skipping every few Raises

Melissa: I bet you get those jeans up after this video. You should make sure to take an after wearing those jeans to show how far you came.

Aliann: :drinker: cheers to you for getting back into your workout. I know how easy it is to skip a few days of working out and not want to get back in the groove of it. You should not let your rest days discourage you from getting it done. Throughout this whole Workout series I have been mentally pep talking myself because if I listened to my body I would have given up that first week. I'm glad I have sticked to it this long because by pushing my body I have gotten stronger and more flexible. You should be proud of yourself and No Ma'am you are definately not behind. I like the saying that says you are lapping everyone on the couch =)

Chipmunk: I second the cute pic of Theodore!! It is overwhelming trying to remember okay squeeze your butt when doing the lunges but make sure to squeeze your shoulders together and suck in your abs and push harder go deeper. My mind is going all kinds of ways during each workout but I try to get as much muscles burning during each workout and hope that does it. Just keep pushing and maybe you should use less weight and after a few days go up

Big HIGH FIVE to everyone for making it as far as we have. I know this isn't easy but I know it will be worth it. =)
  • travlinmel101
    Hi everyone...just checking in, just finished L3D3! Still going pretty good! I am a little bit sore from some of the moves...I think that the walking-planks really makes you "clinch" your abs/core, so I've got a bit of soreness there (i.e. it hurts to sneeze!), my shoulders/upper back is a bit sore, which I think is from the traveling push-ups...my back overall is a little sore from supermans, but nothing as bad as L1!!! :)

Here's a question...do you know if it is better to use heavier weights or go at a faster pace? For example, in Level 1, we did those "punches" - in level 3, you do the same thing but with weights in your hands...I can either go "faster" with 2lbs weights, or I can go a little slower but doing it with 5lb weights...anyone have any idea? (Similar, in L3 you do jumping jacks with weights in your hands [arms up to shoulder level], i can keep up with them with the 2lbs, but I'm just a little slower with the 5lbs)

I second the "High-Fives"!!! :) Keep it up everyone, we're going to make it!!! :)
  • Johlawrence
    Johlawrence Posts: 236 Member
    Good question, above poster, about the weights...more weight - slower, or less weight - faster. I'm interested in the replies.

I just finished L2 D4. It was definitely easier tonight than it has been. I still hate it though!!! I SOOO wish I could do it every day,, but my schedule just doesn't allow for it. And I refuse to shower in the am, dry and fix my main of hair, and then shower again, and dry and fix my main AGAIN for the evening. UGHHH!!! Also wish I were a morning person! It's all I can do to drag my butt out of bed to go to work, let alone to WORK OUT!!!