Lifting VS Love Handles.... Guess who won!!

Options
123457»

Replies

• kenziestx
    Options
    Whoops, I was going to ask you for specifics, but I found your post. I also checked out the Simply Shredded 12 week workout program. Thanks for the info!
    I work out 5 days per week:

M: Chest and Calves
    T: Legs (Quad focus) and Shoulders
    W: Glutes and Cardio
    Th: Arms and Core
    F: Legs (Ham focus) and Back

I can send you the details if you like (though there is some variety week to week): I change up the set styles (sometimes pyramid, sometimes reverse pyramid, super sets, giant sets, straight sets etc) and reps week to week.

In the beginning I did steady state cardio (ran on a treadmill with the baby hanging out) but then stopped cardio and focused on lifting. Now I do HIIT style cardio 2-3 times per week (15-25 mins) (sometimes on the treadmill and sometimes plyo circuits)

I would be more than happy to share details on any and all of the above with anyone interested.
  • nillapup
    nillapup Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of requests for specifics, so here's the week before last:

Monday: Chest and Calves
    Bench Press: 8 x 6 x 4 x 2 (# of reps) (pyramid)
    Incline Press: 8 x 6 x 4 x 2
    Chest Fly: 4 x 8 (4 sets of 8) (straight set)
    Calf Walks (carrying plate 45#), 3 x 40 (3 sets of 40 steps on my tiptoes)
    Jumprope 5 x 100 (5 sets of 100 jumps)

Tuesday: Legs (Quad and Back)
    Squats: 8 x 6 x 4 x 2

Superset:
    Leg Extensions: 4 x 10
    Back Extensions: 4 x 10

Superset:
    Bent Dumbbell Row 3 x 10
    Lat Pull 3 x 10

Reverse Lat Pull 3 x 10

Superset:
    Seated Row: 3 x 10
    Reverse Fly: 3 x 8

Booty Builder HIIT (2 rounds) fitchicks blog http://fitchicks-fitchicks.blogspot.com/2011/09/booty-builder.html

Weds: Glutes and Cardio
    Deadlift: 8 x 6 x 4 x 2
    Barbell Hip Thrusts 4 x 12
    Weighted Ball hip thrusts 4 x 25 (with 45# plate)
    Glute Bridge 4 x 60 seconds
    Kickbacks 4 x 20
    Pushups (these work chest/arms but by the time I'm finished with chest and arms I can't do any! haha)
    tummy tuck HIIT http://fitchicks-fitchicks.blogspot.com/2011/09/tummy-tuck.html

Thurs: Arms and Core
    SS:
    Bicep Curl 3 x 8
    Tricep Extension 3 x 8
    SS:
    skullcrusher 3 x 12
    Hammercurl 3 x 8
    Giant Set:
    Tricep Pulldown 3 x 8
    Concentration Curl 3 x 10
    Overhead Tricep Extension 3 x 10

Bench dips (elbows in for tricep focus) 3 x 5
    Pushups 3 x failure

Friday: Legs and Shoulders
    Squats: 3 x 6, 1 x 4
    DB Shoulder Press 4 x 6
    SS:
    Stiff-leg Deadlift: 3 x 6, 1 x 4
    Shoulder Shrugs: (with DL weights) 3 x 6
    Standing Leg Curl: 3 x 10
    SS:
    Front Raise: 4 x 6
    Lateral Raise: 4 x 6
    Arnold Press: 4 x 6

rockin' Body 25 minute dance video (cardio)

On the second leg day I now also do bulgarian split squats and I do lunges on the first leg day...

I also do everything with the heaviest weights that I can... my legs have progressed quickly but my arms are still slacking! I'm working on adding in pull-ups and chin-ups, but these dang weak arms! hah I don't count them unless I can finish them.. so.. meh.

I really recommend starting with a simpler program (the simplyshredded women's workout is straight-forward and awesome)
    It has everything you need and it's a good way to get into lifting. Form is REALLY important so be sure to watch videos on any lifts you aren't sure about doing. bodybuilding.com is awesome for these videos...

Hope that helps.. and please let me know if you have any other questions!

nice workout
  • Roundabouting
    Options
    Wow, I almost can't believe the results you got in such a small amount of time. Great work!!!
  • ItsPheebs
    ItsPheebs Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I eat very little fruit (usually just berries in a post-workout shake). The majority of my carbs are incidental (i.e. in something I consume for either protein/fat's sake like avocado or from my veggies). Sweet potato and butternut squash are the only starches I consume on a regular basis and occasionally I'll have a flatout wrap or a 100 calorie pack of microwave popcorn. For me, carbs beget carbs. I'm a little bit of an apocalyptic thinker- so if I have a little bit of carbs I want them ALLLLL.
    THIS is so totally me too lol
    You look fantastc :bigsmile:

Going low carb really effects my energy level. Did you guys find that? I don't know if I could train at under 100g's.
  • ItsPheebs
    ItsPheebs Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! Really great work. My lifting gets a little convoluted, too, because it helps me to prevent workout boredom. :tongue:

When I get too crazy, I just go back to compounds and a few added supersets for certain areas. I can't imagine where you're going to lose an extra 20 - 30 lbs from though. You look just right to me, but people say that to me, too and I scoff. :grumble:
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Great job! I just started lifting 4 weeks ago and this givesme inspiration to keep going with it!
  • stacibuk
    stacibuk Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I eat very little fruit (usually just berries in a post-workout shake). The majority of my carbs are incidental (i.e. in something I consume for either protein/fat's sake like avocado or from my veggies). Sweet potato and butternut squash are the only starches I consume on a regular basis and occasionally I'll have a flatout wrap or a 100 calorie pack of microwave popcorn. For me, carbs beget carbs. I'm a little bit of an apocalyptic thinker- so if I have a little bit of carbs I want them ALLLLL.

I totally get the "carbs beget carbs" way of thinking! My macro is about the same as yours. You have made awesome progress and have transformed your body! WTG! I just recently started tracking calories burned with a HRM...do you wear a HRM while you are lifting? Love the Eat Stop Eat principle and lost my last 20-30lbs doing IF. Good luck with your 1 year goal, I'm sure you will make it!!

I don't wear a HRM because I have yet to buy one- but I don't eat back calories unless I know I've burned a LOT (i.e. playing tennis or racquetball or volleyball for an hour+ or an extended run (>5 km). I've debated back and forth about a HRM but I don't think it'll actually benefit me (except for research's sake in determining afterburn and heartrate post-workout etc etc). This is my first go with eatstopeat, but I've done leangains IF for the last 3 weeks or so and I like it!

Thanks so much.. I'm looking forward to making progress! Congrats on your progress- that's amazing!

what is eatstopeat & IF?
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options

Me too! One slice of toast or a bowl of cereal, in a few days I'm eating 2 bowls a day & craving Nutella, jam, syrup, butter, cookies, chocolate bars, fries, french toast, ALL THE CARBS!!
  • bebreli
    bebreli Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Very awesome!
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Great job! I love seeing these posts!
  • Kurls4Daze
    Kurls4Daze Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    OK STARTING TOMORROW!!! GREAT INSPIRATION WAY TO PUT IN WORK!!!
  • alarae
    alarae Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    You look amazzzzzzzzzing!!!!
  • Thickchicapes40
    Thickchicapes40 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You look great..:) Keep up the hard work.. :) Helps inspire us all a little bit.. :)
  • katfern8
    Options
    You look amazing!
  • lovinlandl
    lovinlandl Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    bump
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!