Sick and Tired of feeling Hungry

Options
1235»

Replies

• SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

For the 10th time, I ate a lot of junk food and lost 192lbs. I ate many oreo's, nutty butters, burritos, taco bell, ben and jerries, double cheese burgers all through my weight loss

Belowis a list of "healthy" food

Try this healthy diet for a month and tell us how it goes.

breakfast: 2 eggs with 3 table spoons olive oil 500 calories
    snack: 10 dried figs 477 calories
    lunch: diced avocado with 2 tables of olive oil and seasoning 490 calories
    dinner/desert: 10 tbs of natural peanut butter 950 calories

Honestly, what do you think will happen??? Oh btw the total amount of calories is ~ 3000 calories.

And if you keep eating that unhealthy stuff you will not keep the weight off. Your body needs healthy foods. You are right though the fact that I was thin most of my life because of healthy eating habits means I know nothing. I have seen this same argument since I was a child and saw my mother say the same things. She lost it all but then gained it all back. Continued this behavior through 3 heart attacks and is now almost 70 and is still over weight. She never learned to eat fruits and vegetables because she lost weight while eating Oreos My other family members have done the same thing. Lose and gain. They say look I can eat what I want. Sure you can loose weight and still have a cheese burger here and there but it can not be a staple. Healthy foods are a MUST. Your body needs these nutrients. and it is sad that in this day and age Fruits and veggies are not as respected as Oreo's.

I am gone from this conversation because obviously people want to eat the oreo's and feel they can still loose and maintain weight loss. Like I said I have seen it throughout my life. Same argument for 40 years and it has not worked long term in all that time.

Long term weight loss is about habits, not food choices. There are many many people who eat junk 24/7 and are at a healthy weight. I think you're misunderstanding, no one is saying eat junk food 24/7. Why did your mother gain it back? Because she ate "junk food" she lost the weight doing it. She gained it back because she didn't learn the proper habits to keep it off. Had nothing to do with the food.

But you are a man and have an automatic weight loss advantage over a woman. Women have 2 to 3 times the level of circulating leptin at the SAME BODY FAT LEVEL as a man. What that means is that just about every obese woman has leptin resistance. For many, many obese women, restricting carbohydrates is the only way to get (and keep) blood sugar under control (which is the real villain that stalks a woman's weight loss efforts). Because we have estrogen, not only do we run higher blood sugar levels but we also have 5 to 6 times the amount of thyroid dysfunction (because estrogen blocks the uptake of iodine). And since none of us go around munching iodine-rich dulse and kelp every day, a great many obese women have thyroid disease which is exacerbated by high-carb diets. Men can just cut back their eating. Women must pay attention to not only calories but the KIND of calories they are eating. Also, because men are larger in body mass, they can always out-eat a woman and not gain body fat.

No, calories are calories, all what you said might "lower" your TDEE, but your TDEE is still your TDEE. Eat under your TDEE and you will lose weight. You shouldn't buy in to that insulin theory so much. Insulin is control by calories, leptin is controled by calories as well. It's all about calories, always has been, always will be.

I was well on my way to Type II diabetes when I hit the carbohydrate brakes and put things to rights. Yes--total calories are important BUT, if at the end, your nutritional status is poor, you will regain the weight. I followed calorie-restricted diets for years--I'm NOT a newbie. But when I paid attention to only the calories and not the TYPE of calories, I felt (and looked) like junk when I was done. And the weight inevitably came back. I have SLOWLY lost my weight over the last three years and I have NOT ONCE gained an ounce back. The reason why is that I eat VERY WELL. I pay as much attention to WHAT I am eating as I am to how much I am eating and it is paying the dividends that I need. I could eat 1,380 calories in doughnuts every day, and I would likely lose weight, but I would feel like crap and NEVER be able to keep it off.

P.S. You should read up on leptin. Did you read what I wrote?
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

For the 10th time, I ate a lot of junk food and lost 192lbs. I ate many oreo's, nutty butters, burritos, taco bell, ben and jerries, double cheese burgers all through my weight loss

Honestly, what do you think will happen??? Oh btw the total amount of calories is ~ 3000 calories.

And if you keep eating that unhealthy stuff you will not keep the weight off. Your body needs healthy foods. You are right though the fact that I was thin most of my life because of healthy eating habits means I know nothing. I have seen this same argument since I was a child and saw my mother say the same things. She lost it all but then gained it all back. Continued this behavior through 3 heart attacks and is now almost 70 and is still over weight. She never learned to eat fruits and vegetables because she lost weight while eating Oreos My other family members have done the same thing. Lose and gain. They say look I can eat what I want. Sure you can loose weight and still have a cheese burger here and there but it can not be a staple. Healthy foods are a MUST. Your body needs these nutrients. and it is sad that in this day and age Fruits and veggies are not as respected as Oreo's.

I am gone from this conversation because obviously people want to eat the oreo's and feel they can still loose and maintain weight loss. Like I said I have seen it throughout my life. Same argument for 40 years and it has not worked long term in all that time.

Long term weight loss is about habits, not food choices. There are many many people who eat junk 24/7 and are at a healthy weight. I think you're misunderstanding, no one is saying eat junk food 24/7. Why did your mother gain it back? Because she ate "junk food" she lost the weight doing it. She gained it back because she didn't learn the proper habits to keep it off. Had nothing to do with the food.

But you are a man and have an automatic weight loss advantage over a woman. Women have 2 to 3 times the level of circulating leptin at the SAME BODY FAT LEVEL as a man. What that means is that just about every obese woman has leptin resistance. For many, many obese women, restricting carbohydrates is the only way to get (and keep) blood sugar under control (which is the real villain that stalks a woman's weight loss efforts). Because we have estrogen, not only do we run higher blood sugar levels but we also have 5 to 6 times the amount of thyroid dysfunction (because estrogen blocks the uptake of iodine). And since none of us go around munching iodine-rich dulse and kelp every day, a great many obese women have thyroid disease which is exacerbated by high-carb diets. Men can just cut back their eating. Women must pay attention to not only calories but the KIND of calories they are eating. Also, because men are larger in body mass, they can always out-eat a woman and not gain body fat.

No, calories are calories, all what you said might "lower" your TDEE, but your TDEE is still your TDEE. Eat under your TDEE and you will lose weight. You shouldn't buy in to that insulin theory so much. Insulin is control by calories, leptin is controled by calories as well. It's all about calories, always has been, always will be.

And the next catch is that we are told that we need a minimum of 1,200 calories JUST to keep all the body's metabolic plates spinning. That leaves a woman totally without the luxury of being able to spend calories on anything that does not contribute to her health. You are wrong.
  • hfox9707
    hfox9707 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I will be honest I'm a horrible eater X_x I do however enjoy salads by some unknown reason I'm done eating today but I'll try larger salad tomorrow. Pmteet you could be right this could just be a craving more than hunger pain. So I guess the question is how do I kill the craving to eat. I been keeping up with the water intake thus far yay but not nearly enough veggies because I do not like how they taste X_x I sound like a little kid.

You need to eat more veggies, lean protein and healthy fats such as almonds or avocados. Eat protein with every meal. Stop eating processed foods. That will make your blood sugar go up, therefore your insulin go up. It will always make you crave. If you cut out white refined flour and sugar. You won't crave as much. Yes, keep drinking water.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

I was well on my way to Type II diabetes when I hit the carbohydrate brakes and put things to rights. Yes--total calories are important BUT, if at the end, your nutritional status is poor, you will regain the weight. I followed calorie-restricted diets for years--I'm NOT a newbie. But when I paid attention to only the calories and not the TYPE of calories, I felt (and looked) like junk when I was done. And the weight inevitably came back. I have SLOWLY lost my weight over the last three years and I have NOT ONCE gained an ounce back. The reason why is that I eat VERY WELL. I pay as much attention to WHAT I am eating as I am to how much I am eating and it is paying the dividends that I need. I could eat 1,380 calories in doughnuts every day, and I would likely lose weight, but I would feel like crap and NEVER be able to keep it off.

P.S. You should read up on leptin. Did you read what I wrote?

I read up on leptin years ago, I am majoring in biochemistry, so i know all about leptin and the hormones you mentioned. I still stick to what i said.

You're saying you haven't gained weight back because you eat very well... So you're saying when you only focused on your calories you gained it back? How is that possible, unless you start to eat above your TDEE and gain weight back. You gained it back because you ate over your TDEE. Not because of the food you ate.

As I said before, no one is saying "eat junk food 24/7" our point is weight loss is about calories. You want a donut and it fits in to your calories, eat it. No big deal. If you want to eat 10 donuts... not a good idea.

My point is, which i have said already is for people to stick to a weight loss plan. You think someone who is obese stuffing their face with chips, pizzas, burgers everyday can do a 180 with their diet? and eat "healthy?" over night? It doesn't work like that. What you and the other lady are saying will read someone to failure, because they just can't stick to it. If these people ate the food they usually eat and slightly cut their calories, that's more manageable. Over time they should clean up their diet.

It simply doesn't work that way for me and MANY other women. When we eat a diet that is overbalanced in carbohydrates, we are miserable and hungry all the time. When you end a diet with nutritional deficits, you will regain. It is a near certainty. Ever really look at those women who are 45 and been on calorie-restriction only for most of their lives? They look terrible and feel terrible because they are UNHEALTHY. What I and the other poster are saying IS the ONLY way to permanent weight loss--and this is especially so for women. In the past, I DID regain because I inevitably ate above my TDEE because I was SICK. My body was desperately searching for nutrients. In addition, I was so worn out and lacking in energy from the constant dieting that I couldn't even exercise at all. And that just made the problem worse.

P.S. I have thyroid disease as well. Maybe I always had it--I was raised in the "goiter belt". But a high-carb diet only makes thyroid problems worse.
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I like water but it never satisfied my hunger. I now drink tea and the benefits at least for me are tremendous not sure if anyone else mentioned tea but you may want to give it a shot. Plenty of flavors in caff and decaff varieties!

Goodluck!
  • pmteet
    pmteet Posts: 69
    Options
    So I guess the question is how do I kill the craving to eat. I been keeping up with the water intake thus far yay but not nearly enough veggies because I do not like how they taste X_x I sound like a little kid.

I am not sure you can easily kill the craving to eat. I think it comes from redirecting yourself. I wish I had the answer. the only time I really had a strong urge to eat was when I was pregnant. But I see my family struggle and they have been doing better. Hubby use to eat EVERY DAY after supper. I kept asking him to stop because I knew how much he ate for dinner and knew he should not be hungry. He finally stopped. But it was a sloooow process. It took about 4 months before he was in the swing of things. It is like any bad habit. The best way to stop a bad habit is replace it with a good one!
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    "...As I said before, no one is saying to eat junk food 24/7. Sounds like you're saying 'it's all or nothing.' I am trying to remember an article i wrote about thyroid and carbs... I don't even remember what it said, maybe it was metabolism and carbs. Oh yes, i think it was how low carb diets adversely effect thyroid, which slows down the metabolic rate. Yeah I believe that was it. That it was good to eat high carbs for a week or so to rebalance your hormones..."

That is why I only eat LOWER carbs. I don't put my body into ketosis as I believe that is likely counterproductive as it can reduce lean body mass. That is why I eat more carbs in preparation for my heavier exercise days--so that I can limit catabolizing my muscles. So far, it has been working. I have reduced my waist measurement by over 10 inches. And I am much stronger because I have been lifting weights.. They tell me that I can't put on much muscle since I am eating at a deficit. Even though my muscles seem harder I doubt that I have put on a lot of muscle mass, but I am working hard to try to reduce my body fat further before I try to build much muscle. I'm working as hard as I can and I don't think a lot of you men appreciate just how difficult weight control and loss is for many women. When my husband feels like he is getting chubby, he cuts out desserts for a month and drops ten pounds.
  • Fairlieboy
    Fairlieboy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    and anyone who thinks that fructose is dangerous to human health, bear in mind that we're primates and most species of primates eat fruit (which is full of fructose). are you going to call the zoo and tell them they should stop feeding fruit to all the other species of primate?
    This is not the issue. The issue is that the average American, (probably most overweight western countries) consumes 13% of their average daily energy from ADDED fructose. Big difference between a glass containing 240mls (8oz) of orange juice or a packet of oreos, or 4 oranges. You are full after the 4 oranges because of their fibre. You stop eating. You are full. Have a glass of OJ, then tuck into another 400 calories of breakfast. Try 1 small packet of raisins. Eat a pound (0.4kg) of grapes. Which makes you feel full?
    This forum was about tired of feeling hungry. So avoid high energy foods that do not "fill you up". And that means cutting out sugar because that does 2 things. Calorie intake, and lack of hunger feedback means you keep eating.
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Growing up, I was so used to either feeling starved or stuffed. I didn't know what it felt like to just feel satisfied. I thought full meant stuffed. But really, full only means satisfied.
    I eat healthy and feel satisfied when I am done eating.
    Now I eat until I feel full and I feel satisfied.
    it is just an idea to try in effort to learn to reduce portions and feel satisfied.
    Eat more protein veggies and oats will keep you full for much longer
    fiber and protein fill you up and take longer to digest, so you feel satisfied longer.
    So avoid high energy foods that do not "fill you up".

Who knows, we might be better off not using terms such as full and satisfied, as we can't agree on what they mean!

If you're tired off food cravings, it's quite simple. Eat healthy low-glycemic food. Processed food on the other hand may give you withdrawal at the end of digestion, a discomfort which is not hunger. Real hunger comes later. In short, between meal snacks aren't needed.

Oh yes, emotional eating. Well, that's something else of course.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Train wreck. :tongue:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    and anyone who thinks that fructose is dangerous to human health, bear in mind that we're primates and most species of primates eat fruit (which is full of fructose). are you going to call the zoo and tell them they should stop feeding fruit to all the other species of primate?
    This is not the issue. The issue is that the average American, (probably most overweight western countries) consumes 13% of their average daily energy from ADDED fructose. Big difference between a glass containing 240mls (8oz) of orange juice or a packet of oreos, or 4 oranges. You are full after the 4 oranges because of their fibre. You stop eating. You are full. Have a glass of OJ, then tuck into another 400 calories of breakfast. Try 1 small packet of raisins. Eat a pound (0.4kg) of grapes. Which makes you feel full?
    This forum was about tired of feeling hungry. So avoid high energy foods that do not "fill you up". And that means cutting out sugar because that does 2 things. Calorie intake, and lack of hunger feedback means you keep eating.

Yes I know that refined fructose and fructose when it's still in fruit don't do the same things inside the body, because of the fibre water and everything else that's in fruit..... but fruit still contains a lot of fructose and fruit is not going to harm you unless you take fruit eating to ridiculous proportions, or you have a medical issue that means you can't eat fruit.

I'm sick to death of people demonising foods, and people going round saying fructose is bad and similar just leads to people eliminating all foods that contain fructose including whole fruit. They go from one unhealthy, unbalanced extreme to another. Eating more whole fruit is good advice for most people who currently eat the standard American diet.

Foods are not good or bad in themselves, you have to look at the whole diet in context. If someone was to eat nothing but fruit, their diet would be very unhealthy, as it would lack a number of key nutrients that are not found in fruit (or are not in big enough quantities). A good diet is balanced.... it provides everything that the body needs, without harming the body in the process. Even refined fructose won't do you any harm if you eat it as part of a balanced diet. You need to look at the big picture, not demonise individual foods, food groups or nutrients.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    "...So you have a choice, eat food that you find bland(pain), or eat junk food and be hungry(pain). You have to pay the price either way. .."

To the contrary, I find the natural diet I follow to be very tasty. It is a matter of getting your palate adjusted to eating real food. In addition, I am never hungry. A natural diet full of nutrients is a win-win, all the way around.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

You are so right, Fairlieboy, fructose researchers understand that there is an "anti-satiety" effect inherent in fructose metabolism. They believe that it is a major part of "food addiction". Not sure whether I posted this link further up in the thread and I don't have time to check right now but here is the link to a scientific conference on "food addiction": http://www.foodaddictionsummit.org/index.htm

Besides which, in answer to the poster who noted that animals eat fruit: Richard J. Johnson, M.D. (head of the renal division at the University of Colorado Medical Center) has noted that animals do eat fruit. They eat fruit in order to add body fat for periods when food will be scarce. (Such as black bears gorging on vast quantities of wild blueberries, and adding a great deal of body fat in preparation for the winter's hibernation.) One problem that humans have when they ingest a lot of fructose is that we do not possess the uricase enzyme (as most other animals have) and fructose metabolism raises uric acid levels--setting off a host of health problems: hypertension, Type II diabetes, CVD and renal disease. Many fructose researchers recommend that obese individuals eat no more than 15 grams of fructose per day (and limit carbohydrates as their bodies are quite efficient in converting high blood glucose into fructose). They recommend that normal weight individuals limit their fructose intake to 25 grams or less of fructose (2 or 3 servings of fruit per day). It isn't that our bodies are incapable of dealing with fructose any more than they are incapable of dealing with alcohol (and by the way, fructose and alcohol are metabolized in similar ways). It is that high doses of fructose (such as would be in a big slice of cake) overwhelm our body's ability to cope with it. There are other protective effects that fruit eating confers that eating cake does not. For one, the fructose in fruit is encased in fiber and released slowly over time. An orange has approximately 4 to 6 grams of fructose (depending on the size and sweetness). A can of "orange" soda has 44 grams of fructose (AND there is no fiber to slow down the transmission of the fructose). The dose makes the poison.

I have to go right now, but I will be back later to comment...:smile:
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I cannot stop laughing.

Thin people know how to eat? A calorie isn't a calorie? What is it then, magic?

I eat carrots because they take up more room than chocolate and I don't like a rumbling belly. My metabolism could care less.
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    yes your palate has to "adjust" to it. It takes time won't happen over night. I like food that is less processed. Doesn't mean that someone who is stuffing their face with pizza, and root beer, burgers, fries, chips, and Twinkies everyday who weighs 500+ lbs will be able to do your recommendations. That's my point. you guys are doing extremes.

Haha, there's nothing extreme about eating real food. Most people used to do it most of the time. Your someone, while not far from today's average American, is the extreme, wouldn't you agree? Sure, improving your taste sensitivity takes time. A few weeks are likely to show a considerable difference. Nicely aligns with the 21 day habit forming rule. The nice reward is that taste sensitivity can be linked to weight. Sure, it's not easy overcoming food addiction, but if you believe that habit matters more than food choice, then automate your habits. Figure out your triggers. Look into what drives emotional eating. Some willingness has be present, but that goes without saying.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    "...So you have a choice, eat food that you find bland(pain), or eat junk food and be hungry(pain). You have to pay the price either way. .."

To the contrary, I find the natural diet I follow to be very tasty. It is a matter of getting your palate adjusted to eating real food. In addition, I am never hungry. A natural diet full of nutrients is a win-win, all the way around.

yes your palate has to "adjust" to it. It takes time won't happen over night. I like food that is less processed. Doesn't mean that someone who is stuffing their face with pizza, and root beer, burgers, fries, chips, and Twinkies everyday who weighs 500+ lbs will be able to do your recommendations. That's my point. you guys are doing extremes.

I am currently counseling a woman in that category. She is 486 pounds and eats NOTHING that isn't heavily processed. Cake, cookies, ice cream, pizza, and the occasional restaurant meal ordered out. She is clearly a food addict. Eats no vegetables (she has made one concession and orders a few more veggies on her pepperoni pizza occasionally). Eats no fruit (she will have the odd glass of orange juice and considers that healthier than soda). I have told her that she has a physical addiction in addition to an emotional illness that she is attempting to medicate with food. I issued a challenge to her the other day. I asked her if she thought she could eat anything she wanted except anything with added sugar and/or gluten. She started to cry because she realized that she was addicted to foods that contains both of those. After she got done crying, she thought for a moment and asked that maybe could she give up sugary foods first? I said, "Good choice." She is on Day 3 and is experiencing some difficulty but she has been gamely eating pizza, burgers and fries, and lots of bread and butter. She has Type II diabetes and her doc has made it clear that she will not see another decade without major complications and/or death (she is 34) if she continues to ignore her blood sugar problems and gain at the rate that she has been gaining. She MUST do something extreme.

If someone has 20-40 pounds to lose, it is no big deal if they "cheat" here and there. I am close enough to my goal weight now that I could have the odd ice cream cone if I wanted to (which I do not). When someone has an extreme problem like this woman has, she MUST avoid the foods that send her off into oblivion--just as an alcoholic must never take a taste of an alcoholic beverage (I used to know a Christian man who would not even take Communion until they went from wine to grape juice in the service). We'll see how it goes.
  • run_way
    run_way Posts: 220
    Options
    Seriously
    tumblr_mcvv229WWP1r98m7m.gif