Fat shaming in the media

Options

Replies

• Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Thin people are not oppressed and here is why.

Do people judge whether you a liability to your job if you are overweight? No, thin people are assumed healthier and less expensive.
    Do you pay more for health/life insurance because you are thin? No, thin people are assumed healthier and less of a liability.
    Do thin people have trouble finding someone like themselves as the lead in at.v. show or movie? No. thin is considered more desirable.
    Do thin people have to squeeze into seat at theaters? on airplanes? in booths at restaurants? No. the seats are made for thin people.
    Do thin people get denied surgery because their weight is a liability? No.
    Do thin people get everyone else giving them diet plan/advice or just nagging them all day about their weight? Not really.
    Do thin people get mocked on t.v. used as scrape goats or comedy because of their weight? No.
    Is it considered weird to like a thin person? Does it become a kink or a disorder to like someone who is average sized? No.

Do not compare other peoples jealousy of your body to oppression.

And Do not think that everyone wants to look like a model on t.v. that everyone wants to change, that everyone wants your opinion on THEIR life just because YOU don't like the way they treat their bodies.
    No one has the right to force anyone else to change if they don't want to.
    This is a free country and if you don't like the fact that someone doesn't mind how they look and wants to eat fifty hostess cupcakes a day it is THEIR RIGHT.
    Justifying your bullying with "but its not good for them" is elitist abusive ****.

I am not a different person thin. I still deserve respect, I do not deserve to be treated like a disease or the butt of a joke.

If you think shaming someone for their choices in life is okay, if you think you have the right to judge other peoples decisions about their life about their health, then you need to take a step back and look at yourself and ask "when did I decide I was god? When did I decide I had the right to judge others?"

Worry about yourself, treat other people with respect, and leave other people to do the same.

Ohhhh the irony. Shaming goes both ways, dear, and if you're blind to how thin people are shamed and oppressed-- and yes, how being thin DOES sometimes interfere with medical procedures and job acceptance (ie any job requiring intense manual labor)-- then you are just being ignorant, I'm sorry.

No matter who you are or what you look like, someone will find a way to shame you in our cruel and abusive society. And though people take this too far calling others "feeders" and "fat-pushers" (labels that I find ridiculous), the fact is that with the rising obesity epidemic, thin people ARE often shamed into eating more / eating "bad" food with their fat friends or family members.
  • gr8xpectationz
    gr8xpectationz Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Whoa, settle down there. I specifically said I'm not in favor of fat-shaming. I do not find it to be effective in doing anything except inciting outrage. I was merely pointing out that in the angry post I quoted (and he didn't even read the article linked by the OP), that all of his "solutions" already exist, which begs the question, are these things truly solutions?

That's all.
    [/quote]

My bad, Ramberta. Sorry for over-reacting. I've been a touch on the crabby side since the minute I rolled out of bed this morning. *sigh*
  • rgrange
    rgrange Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    ITT: People not understanding what oppression actually is
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

Whoa, settle down there. I specifically said I'm not in favor of fat-shaming. I do not find it to be effective in doing anything except inciting outrage. I was merely pointing out that in the angry post I quoted (and he didn't even read the article linked by the OP), that all of his "solutions" already exist, which begs the question, are these things truly solutions?

That's all.

My bad. Sorry for over-reacting. I've been a touch on the crabby side since the minute I rolled out of bed this morning. *sigh*

Those days happen to the best of us. When I'm crabby and it's not my TOM, it generally means I'm lacking protein for the day. :laugh:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I don't find them shocking in a world that has blatant hatred for the obese. Some of them are pretty tasteless, but I think I'm past being offended.

The OatMeals one was innocent enough. Anyone calling that out as fat shaming has some bigger issues, I would say. I'm actually not opposed to the ones about childhood obesity, either. Strong4Life looks like a good organization with positive motives.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Is it considered weird to like a thin person? Does it become a kink or a disorder to like someone who is average sized? No.

This is one that some people do consider to be like a fetish, when people have very specific taste in body type or like petite women. Even though it's not. People just need to realize that there are men that have all different preferences in women and that's normal. A lot of men and women think that everyone thinks exactly like them and likes exactly what they like. So, they apply this false logic to anyone that falls outside of what is considered "average". It can get really offensive when people claim that anyone that likes a small sized woman likes children. I am a small sized women, but there is nothing child like about my body (anyone can see that). I have the body of a full grown woman (I'm just scaled down in size). I find it especially offensive because I was sexually abused very horrendously as a child. I know the difference between a sociopathic pedophile and an incredibly kind and intelligent guy that loves and enjoys my particular body type.
  • TheWiseCat
    TheWiseCat Posts: 297
    Options
    It's not anything new, I don't know where you've been..

The bagel/oatmeal picture - I saw nothing wrong with it. What I did see wrong with was the caption that said "the last thing we want while walking down the street is to be shamed for our breakfast choices." Um, seriously? Oh yeah. I forgot, everyone wants to be coddled. Better to bury our heads in the sand rather than know how many calories are in what we are consuming. (Although, I love bagels and everyone should eat them)

The tired of being fat & ugly pic - That's been going around the internet. It's funny. Sorry, not sorry.

The scale bus stop - You don't have to sit on it... And this may sound bad, but maybe if people were standing a little more, it'd be a move in the right direction. Just saying.

The PETA pic -" Another one of PETA's misleading ads. According to their ad, being thin, fit, and sexy is the only way to love your body, and the only way to be thin, fit, and sexy is to go vegan. Essentially, what they're saying is that everyone else should be ashamed of their bodies." Um, PETA has an agenda and it's not worrying about fat people. Of course they're saying everyone else should be ashamed of their bodies, everyone else is eating tasty meat and they're against that.

All of the other ones, yeah they're "offensive" if I let billboards and ads offend me.

I agree with most of what you said. People are just overly sensitive. Every time I heard the word "bully", I cringe now. The whining is obnoxious. People want a high five for being obese. Hey, I'm fat too, but I'm not proud of it. I want to be healthier and fit. As for the PETA thing, I think they sell sexy bodies because it gets more attention and gets guys drooling. PETA is about bringing attention to animal suffering and they'll step on anyone's toes to get it.

That being said, how come no one is complaining about thin shaming? I see people on TV bash girls for being thin "oh she must be anorexic..." etc and the same online and in person. Which leads to a bigger point - EVERY GROUP OF PEOPLE GETS MADE FUN OF! I don't care if it's based on race, religion, region of residence, profession, height, weight, dietary choices, clothing choices, etc!!! That's just reality. Whining as if your group is the one and only group or the group that gets it the worst is ridiculous and stupid. Just stop being so easily affected by the opinions of others and move on!
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I am offended that they claim a bagel with cream cheese is 600 calories! LIARS!!

also, PETA can suck *kitten*. I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE PETA.

Hate 'em.

with a passion.
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I think it's needed. People are more worried about hurting another person's "feelings" than their overall health? It's not just "being fat." Being really overweight can and will kill you! We need to let people know, sure it's "okay" if you choose to live such a lifestyle, but it is NOT healthy and will have consequences. I wish i could see ads like that around me through out the day, it would definitely have an impact on my decisions.

It's not 'bullying' to make people give up their excuses and admit their wrongdoing.

Guess what?

Breathing will kill you. Eventually.

Every single thing you do will ultimately bring you closer to ending your life. And while it's true that certain actions (smoking, drinking, overeating, drugs) can speed up that process, unless we start imposing substance regulations on sugar and fat, we can't tell people they're "wrong" for being overweight.

I am all for trying to get loved ones and people you care about to take steps towards better health -- I am still trying to motivate my ex-fiancee, who is 400 pounds -- but ultimately, people need to come to this realization on their own. Shaming is not going to do anything but make people angry and upset.

And people who consider it "shaming" are doing just as much damage. You are giving them excuses and reasoning for their obesity. When in my opinion, there is no other reason except for lack of proper decision making and accountability for your own actions. Emotional eating you say? Well the first step in fixing that is to admit it and if they are giving that excuse then they know what they are doing and should make the steps to change. I say stop giving them a reason to be so self destructive. People need the hard truth staring them in the face in order to admit it and see that something needs to change.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    Thin people are not oppressed and here is why.

Do thin people get everyone else giving them diet plan/advice or just nagging them all day about their weight? Not really.

Obviously you haven't been on the message boards long enough to see the people comment on the success stories with "You look better in the before photo! Now you're just skin and bones!" Or "Real women are curvy!" or "Men don't like women who are skin and bones!" or "Why don't you eat something?" Yeah, it does go both ways.
    Do thin people get mocked on t.v. used as scrape goats or comedy because of their weight? No.

Everybody gets made fun of on TV. It happens, it's TV.
    Do not compare other peoples jealousy of your body to oppression.

I'm not jealous of anybody's body, but I recognize what some thin people have to go through because people assume that if you're thin, you're anorexic or that you shouldn't go to the gym.
    And Do not think that everyone wants to look like a model on t.v. that everyone wants to change, that everyone wants your opinion on THEIR life just because YOU don't like the way they treat their bodies.
    No one has the right to force anyone else to change if they don't want to.
    This is a free country and if you don't like the fact that someone doesn't mind how they look and wants to eat fifty hostess cupcakes a day it is THEIR RIGHT.
    Justifying your bullying with "but its not good for them" is elitist abusive ****.

I am not a different person thin. I still deserve respect, I do not deserve to be treated like a disease or the butt of a joke.

If you think shaming someone for their choices in life is okay, if you think you have the right to judge other peoples decisions about their life about their health, then you need to take a step back and look at yourself and ask "when did I decide I was god? When did I decide I had the right to judge others?"

Worry about yourself, treat other people with respect, and leave other people to do the same.

This part, I mostly agree with.
  • joeylu
    joeylu Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    wow.....Oh and PETA can ****ing suck it as they wont support pitbull groups and they dont go against kill shelters.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    If people worried less about what others said about them and more about their personal health I think we'd all be in a lot better shape.

And yes, your physical condition DOES EFFECT ME, it increases my insurance rates, it increases the cost of items that are sold to the general public but have to be tailored to a larger demographic of people due to their size. But this is the case for a lot of other physical conditions too. Obesity isn't a disease, its a condition that you've chosen in most cases to develop, its something you can control.

Sooo work on being healthy, how does that sound?
  • monizjm
    monizjm Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    It hurts my heart in a way I can't quite describe. I feel so bad for the people who become a target of that type of thing. I'm cruel to myself and I say terrible things. But if someone other than myself was to say the things my inner voice says...

I can't imagine the pain and shame that'd cause.

I want extremely overweight people to get in shape. But not because they'd look better. Not because they'd be liked more. I want them to be happy. I want them to be healthy. I want them to enjoy life and not be ashamed of who they are (even if it's just a moment of doubt). Because of that I want to be their friend the whole journey. Happy in the beginning and happy in the end. Shame is just not necessary. But support and love are vital!

You are so right on with how you responded. I feel the same way. I don't take it to the heart when I saw these, but I can imagine how others would. Maybe 2 - 3 years ago, these ads would have made me felt ashamed, maybe disgusted with myself. I still have those moments, especially around skinny folks. I imagine the things they must be thinking and saying about me as I walk/drive by. But I think we are all our own worst enemies. People that say things and do these types of jokes/ads have poor characteristics and are lacking something within themselves to have to poke fun at those that are not exactly like them.
  • BohoLovin
    BohoLovin Posts: 19
    Options
    About PETA--they have a long history of ads/campaigns which are fat-shaming/show a poor attitude toward women in general. They do it ON PURPOSE because they know it will outrage someone, and then they get attention. PETA follows the "no publicity is bad publicity" idea religiously. This is why PETA, despite their supposed mission of saving animals, disgusts me.
  • TheWiseCat
    TheWiseCat Posts: 297
    Options
    wow.....Oh and PETA can ****ing suck it as they wont support pitbull groups and they dont go against kill shelters.

Obviously you don't even understand PETA's mission. Try doing a little research.
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    I just looked at the link. PETA - well, I will keep my Opinions to myself on THEM. The two supposedly overweight children (which I don't see them as being overweight - both my children were chunky like that but healthy and grew into strong healthy adults with no weight problems) is shameful child exploitation or what I would consider healthy growing children (not obese). Honey boo boo, or whatever the little tike's name, was enough horror for child exploitation of childhood obesity. I do find Oatmeals is effective.
  • momokitty1992
    momokitty1992 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'll agree with you on the subject of the media/t.v. when you can find me more than a handful of ladies in lead roles in movies and sitcoms who are more than a size 15 and do not have that used against them over and over. Actually when you think about most male overweight lead roles their weight is a source of comedy. According to t.v. being chubby make you a joke.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I am so offended that so many are so offended.

Here's a tip...if something a company does offends you, don't frequent or buy from them. Spread the word to those you know on how you feel but really, there is nothing you can do about it.

I find that those that are shamed by it are because they ARE ashamed. Is it not okay to see truth? That seems to be the thing lately lets all lie so everyone feels good. It's like smoking...I was so ashamed to be a smoker...guess what?! I quit, I am no .longer ashamed.
  • ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Thoughts:

I don't think the oatmeal one is fat-shaming and I call "first world problems" on those who twist it that way. The only person this would possibly shame would be the person walking by and eating a bagel at that moment, and then only if they're overly self-conscious.
    The kids ones are tasteless! Poor kids in photos, not cool!
    Ashley Madison is gross on all levels, extremely poor taste in advertizing strategies not a surprise.
    Did I miss something on the cig one? He doesn't seem to be upset that he apparently slept with her.
    The reduction in measurements one seemed fine to me.
    The stripping one was a bit odd, but kinda funny.
    Gym membership one was totally british humor, and I think the person who said it was fat-shaming didn't get it. Also, is it shocking to anyone that someone might want to join a gym because they're fat?
    The faulty logic in Peta ads was wierd, and the first was offensive, but I'm ok with their ads being rude and ineffective, it shows people that they care more about animals than other humans. I'll take humane society over them any day of the week.

Bottom line for me: People are often waaay too sensitive! Is it ok to try and make someone feel bad about themselves, no, not at all. But people actually are trying to lose weight, many people do want to look like models (generalization, I know), and advertizers got their wish with this article, more people viewed their ads! In fact, I'd totally try OatMeals if I lived in NYC! I'm not saying "fat shaming" is ok, and I know it very much does exist, but not all of these were that. I'd rather just roll my eyes at the bad ones, smile at the inoffensive ones, and be a positive person myself. "Shaming" only works if you let yourself feel ashamed, folks.
  • niightwindz
    niightwindz Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    The only one I truly found offensive was the Ashley Madison one. That's just terrible. The Peta ones were more annoying than offensive.
    I'm fat but I admittably found the "buy an ad!" one kind of funny. :laugh:
    The one with the kids was pretty bad though I must admit. I feel bad for the kids used in the photos. Poor kids. :/