Stop rolling your eyes at fat people in the gym!

Options

Replies

• Susan_fessler
    Susan_fessler Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Never ever has this happened at my gym, people are great. It is a crossfit gym and I hear they are different but it's the only one I have ever went to. Everyone is great and supportive many will cheer you on during that last round where you are ready to quit. We don't have much equipment so everyone is pretty much doing the same workout of the day. I go at the same time as some really great athletes who kick my *kitten* but they still tell me good job when I am done.

It does seem like most people on here are saying it doesn't happen at there gym. I tend to roll my eyes a lot places because I am in my own world thinking about something and maybe that happens at the gym and people think it directed at them. If you are not happy at your gym then find a new one, you won't be successful of you are scared/feel bad to work out.
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of surprised by the number of people on this thread who admit to rolling their eyes at ANYONE at the gym. So what if someone is walking on the treadmill or if they're talking to other people. Let them do their thing. If they're walking on the treadmill for a really long time and there's a wait, ask them to move, just like you'd expect other people to move. The rule isn't that whoever is doing the most hardcore workout gets priority.

Why do you have to care if someone isn't working out as intensely as you? I'm sorry, I just hate judge-y people at the gym. Get in, do your thing, get out. Unless someone is preventing you from doing that, you have no reason to openly judge or mock them.
  • luceegj
    luceegj Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I say you are at the gym for a reason what ever that my be! Just repect that if they are respectful!!!!
    I respect big people in the gym!!!!
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I know!! I think everyone at the gym is a winner!! because they showed up!
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options

Why do you have to care if someone isn't working out as intensely as you? I'm sorry, I just hate judge-y people at the gym. Get in, do your thing, get out. Unless someone is preventing you from doing that, you have no reason to openly judge or mock them.

YES
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I got a dirty look from a girl in MY weight room last week. She was unhappy that I used the squat rack (for squatz. Go figure), then pulled the bar down for deads. NEVER seen her before, and I am there religiously. Best thing to do is smile at them, it confuses them.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Wow...I must go to a perfect gym (or at least at the perfect time of day).
  • Geojerm
    Geojerm Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    They're exactly where they should be! And they have just as much right to be there as anyone else.

Instead of being a twunt, be nice. Smile. Say hello. Make them feel welcome, so they'll keep coming back.

(Added bonus: You'll feel better too.)

LOL twunt... I've never heard that.. and I'm totally stealing it for futre use... I know this was a serious post, but that really made my day : D

I hate the gym ... I always feel underdressed & awkward... muffin tops can not be hidden in workout clothes... YEAH SPRING ... where I can get outside and be active with my family... time to open the pool !
  • cmacphee3
    cmacphee3 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Worse for me was when people were using me as "motivation", watching my speed and everytime they looked tired and like they were going to stop, looking at me and then going faster. Wouldn't want to end up like that fat girl.
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I'm happy and supportive to see most everyone in the gym. I really don't care how big or little they are or what they're doing as long as they're doing it in a safe manner. However, the ones that do get a disapproving look are the ones that show up late to class which puts everyone else behind because the instructor has to demonstrate the exercises in the circuit again. One or two minutes late as we're stretching, sure. 15 minutes late and act like we waited just for you, get over yourself and look at a clock. Sorry, it's happened way too many times the past couple weeks and just irks me.
  • chellec23
    chellec23 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    If people roll their eyes at me at the gym I don't notice. I have actually had a lot of people compliment me and say wow when they see me on the elliptical for an hour straight. I'll wear tank tops, too, I don't care what others think....I'm there to get healthier, not to impress anyone. If they don't like my fat *kitten* in their gym TOO BAD because I pay the membership fees just like everyone else! And I don't stand there in everyone's way yammering, either...I actually do work out.

The people I roll my eyes at are the meat-heads who lift some weights for about 10 seconds then stand there looking at themselves in the mirror for 5 minutes before doing anything else, and the skinny ho I saw yesterday wearing yoga pants and a sports bra (no shirt). Oh, and the creeper who works there who pretends to do something productive while leering at the women.
  • wizwitch
    wizwitch Posts: 82
    Options

There are few people I roll my eyes at in the gym, and most of the time it's due to technique/form or lifting so much you can see a hernia waiting to happen.
    I´m new to lifting. If you go to my gym (wich I would be pretty surprised if you did.Lol) I would love it if people corrected me instead of rolling their eyes.

^^This
  • aaronlawrenc
    aaronlawrenc Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    who does that? im waaaay too busy looking at my god like figure in the mirror

ughhh.gif
  • beyondjupiter
    beyondjupiter Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I stopped going to the gym because I am self conscious and I am probably making all the looks up in my head. I was bullied pretty heavily in school due to my weight and it took me many years to not think that everyone was judging me or thinking I was fat. However, that all seems to come back when I am at the gym. I bought a year membership and never went. Literally. I did my first workout when I signed up and felt so uncomfortable I didn't go back. People were looking at me, but in reality it was probably because I was new. I work out at home now but I would love to get the courage to join a gym again.

I'm not saying that people don't roll their eyes, I am sure someone somewhere has. However, I imagine most of it is projection. We feel bad so we think others feel the same.

Jen
  • gym_king_carlie
    gym_king_carlie Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I was a big lad and was very conscious of peoples stares at the gym when I first started, It does happen, usually by vain people who care more about image in the gym then actually training, on the positive side, I did get friendly hello's and support from the more established bodybuilders.

when I ever see a 'newbie' who's large I make an effort to talk to them in the changing rooms/by the water fountain and so on because they remind me of where I started, not because I have to, I just know I would have appreciated the same kind of gestures and sometimes they feel motivated or 'inspired' because I show them a picture of what I looked like before it began (I keep a picture on my phone to remind me of who I was)

everyone who joins a gym, mostly have the same goal, to live better, feel better and look better, so no one should roll their eyes, I would roll my eyes at someone who puts others down.
  • amandajones1978
    Options
    I've only seen it happen once at my gym. A couple of young guys were walking by and made a comment to each other about an older, heavier lady and laughed. I gave them the eyeroll after they realized I heard them.

There is no excuse for that rudeness.
  • fShaw86
    fShaw86 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    There was this bigger lady at the gym today, doing some weight training. She needed some help getting off the bench, so she asked me for help. Then I went to the chest press, and started my workout. Above mentioned lady rolls HER EYES at me, tells me I've messed up my form, and calls a trainer to show me "how to do it right." And it's her 4th day at the gym...

._. Why did I even help her off the bench.
  • ladydy911
    ladydy911 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have never experienced this. If I did I would probably just laugh it off. I am way to old to be worrying about what other people think.

I am one of those people who take "casual strolls" on the treadmill. I also have arthritis in my hips and knees and torn cartlidge in one knee. (excuses I know, but facts also) I take these "casual strolls" for my alloted 30 minutes and make sure I don't go over the speed my Dr. recommended and ALWAYS leave sweating. I will continue to take my "casual strolls" because when I began this journey I was 498 lbs and would be out of breath walking from the couch to the bedroom so I will stroll on lol. I do LOVE it when I get done with my walk and step off the machine and the person running uphill on the treadmill next to me gives me a high five. I have had this happen several times.
  • shellbatronic
    shellbatronic Posts: 193
    Options
    When I first started at the gym I was super self conscious (around 335 pounds then) and hyper aware of people looking at me. Someone gave me some valuable advice, though- when I'm on a treadmill, or working out in general, "be the honey badger". And when I got self conscious or started assuming someone was laughing at me, I said to myself "honey badger don't care", and I kept going.

People shouldn't be jerks to anyone at the gym, obviously, but letting them get to you, or even caring what some anonymous gym-rat thinks, only distracts you from the task at hand, and that is whatever exercise you're doing. Be a Honey Badger!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of the time people are so self conscious at the gym, they assume people are rolling their eyes, laughing, judging, etc. when really most people are just there to get their sweat on and get out.

I agree with this. There are some people who are actually mean, etc. But a lot of it is people perceiving others as being hostile when they're not.

Also, if someone is being mean but you're acting like they're not, you dis-empower the mean person, so you win either way. If they're not really being hostile, then you're happy because there's nothing to be concerned about. if they are trying to be hostile and you happily get on with your workout without letting it bother you, then you win.

ETA: I do agree that if there's genuine and blatant hostility then you should report it to the management.