What to do with sweet potatoes?

Options

Replies

• adwilliams03
    adwilliams03 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I just had some mashed sweet potatoes from Bob Evans. Very yummy.
  • kk1084
    kk1084 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    pinch of cinnamon, pinch of Truvia... Amazing!! Or just add a tiny bit of agave nectar... YUM! In my opinion, they don't need much-- they are delicious!!
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Baked! They're great with a sprinkle or herbs and black pepper!
  • uthatswho
    uthatswho Posts: 34
    Options
    One of my favorites from Madame Donna C. on Gather.com

Super Food Salad
    2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
    1 whole white onion, large diced
    1 mango, pitted, peeled and diced
    1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
    2 cups black beans (if using canned, drain and rinse the beans before using)
    1 bunch cilantro, chopped (you can substitute mint or basil if you prefer)
    1 large lemon
    2 whole limes
    ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
    2-3 tablespoons chopped Jalapeno (canned can be substituted for fresh) or Serrano pepper
    2 cloves of garlic
    Freshly ground sea salt and pepper to taste

Wash your hands and then wash your vegetables.
    Preheat the oven to 400°.
    Lightly oil a baking sheet.
    Create a single layer of cubed sweet potatoes and diced white onions.
    Drizzle with about 3 tablespoons of the olive oil and season lightly with salt and pepper.
    Roast the vegetables until they begin to brown, approximately 20-30 minutes. The time will vary based on the size of the vegetable pieces.
    While the sweet potatoes and onions roast, make your vinaigrette. In a blender or small food processor, combine the ½ cup olive oil, juice from 1 lime, 2 cloves of garlic, juice from ½ lemon and jalapeno (or Serrano). Whirl until emulsified. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
    In a large bowl, combine the mango, red pepper and black beans. Add the cilantro (or mint or basil) and toss lightly. Remove the sweet potato and onions from the oven and let cool to room temperature. When they have cooled to the touch, add them to the bowl of mango, red pepper and black beans.
    Squeeze the remaining lime and ½ lemon over the mixture and toss lightly. Add the vinaigrette in small doses until there is just enough flavoring, tossing the mixture gently.
    The salad can be served warm, at room temperature or chilled making it quite a versatile dish to take to potlucks or picnics.

Good served alone, as a side dish for a chili rubbed grilled salmon, over a bed of raw spinach, or over grains (quinoa, rice, barley).
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Bake like a white potato, top with plain yogurt and fresh chives. Or chop, saute with black beans and red onions, and roll up in a tortilla.
  • itsCheek
    itsCheek Posts: 104
    Options
    I love mashed sweet potatoes with a sprinkle of cinnamon.

Peel (if you want) and cut the sweet potatoes into 1" slices. Put in a pot of cold water (cover the potatoes in water), then put it on the stove on high heat with a lid on. As soon as it comes to a boil, remove the lid. Poke them every 5 minutes or so with a fork until they are soft. When soft, drain the water and add in 1/4 to 1/2 cup of coconut milk (to the consistency you want) and mash them up. Add in some sea salt and/or cinnamon. It's like a dessert it's so good. This recipe is paleo.

They're also not bad with a few dashes of granulated garlic...kind of "sweet and savory".
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    bake d sweet potatoes,
    sweet potatoe fries
  • williamsge
    williamsge Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    All these sound so good! Bump for later for sure! :love:
  • carriepbm
    carriepbm Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    This sounds delicious! I will definitely try it but with no salt added tomatoes and peanut butter.
    That should cut the sodium down a lot.
    Thanks for sharing this.
  • Ipalavra
    Ipalavra Posts: 32
    Options
    They're so great alone, and the best part is that they're easy to cook up. Poke holes and 5 minutes in the microwave (let sit another 3 to continue cooking).

What I do sometimes on weightlifting days is mash the insides of one microwaved sweet potato, mix in protein powder, and peanut butter.... soooo goooood.
  • veggievixen79
    veggievixen79 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    bumping to read later!
  • Nabilah
    Nabilah Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ceyanna11
    ceyanna11 Posts: 3
    Options
    SOO using this idea!
  • rachface1234
    rachface1234 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    My favorite way to do sweet potatoes: peel and dice 2 sweet potatoes, microwave for 2-4 minutes or until about halfway cooked. Saute 1 cup diced sweet onion in coconut oil until translucent. Add sweet potatoes, one can of rinsed black beans, 2 tsp cumin, 2 tsp cayenne, 1 tsp chili powder, salt, pepper. Serve with hot sauce and avocadosssss
  • kelr0110
    kelr0110 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    The only kind of sweet potatoes I've ever had are 'loaded', aka tons of butter, sugar and cinnamon, baked sweet potatoes. For some reason, I bought some the other day and I really want to do something a little healthier with them but I'm not a good cook and I don't know what else to do with them. Thank you!!

Sorry I'm not going to go through 7 pages of replies, so if someone said it already.....

i slice them thin and just brush some coconut oil on them and salt them then bake. yum
  • jangier
    jangier Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I bake them and puree without skin in my blender. I then separate into cubes with an ice cube tray and freeze. Then I pop them into various meals during the week for me and the family. For example, eating just pureed, adding to oatmeal, adding to pancakes, adding to muffins, and even spreading on a wrap for a sandwich or quesadilla. I learned this from making baby food and my youngest still takes them to school for lunch this way.
  • andersonjo0306
    andersonjo0306 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Bump..and yum...Love sweet potatoes. Use them in my shepards pie
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I cut them up and add to chilli...Tomatoes, chile peppers, black beans, sweet potatoes, brown rice, ground chicken/turkey, slightly sweetened coffee for broth... chunky, sweet, salty, peppery...Big taste...

Haha--I bake them and put chili ON TOP of them. Kind of the reverse!
  • sarahmichelexo
    sarahmichelexo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    was just talking to someone about this last night, so glad i caught this post on the forums today :) bump!
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    someone recenlty posted a way to fix regular potatos as a healthy fry option and I'm thinking it would be good with sweet potato's as well.

Wash the potato, then slice like you would a potato chip BUT leave it attached at the bottom. Do a drizzle of EVOO and then broil. She used sea salt, I'm thinking a sprinkle of cinnamon might be nice.