Abercrombie and Fitch CEO "hates fat chicks"

Options

Replies

• PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    This is old news. People still care about Abercrombie and Fitch?

This. I LOVED their wool sweaters back in the day (mid '90s) when I was in HS... that was also when they were just coming out with their fragrance line, and it didn't bowl you over as you walked by the store. You could actually walk IN the damn place and not pass out. 16 years later, you couldn't pay me to go in there.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I can't shop at Lane Bryant because their clothes are just a little too big for me. It doesn't make me upset in any way, so why should we get upset if stores won't carry a larger size?

Don't like it, don't shop there. It's that simple.

I don't agree with him hating fat women, of course. However, he is entitled to his opinion and how he runs his business is how own business, really.
    Exactly. It seems that people here are essentially saying that they wouldn't care how he marketed his clothes if he didn't say it. That's not very fair to him and infringes on his first amendment right.

Basically, Mr. CEO, it's okay to hate fat people and not make clothes for them, just don't flat out say you hate fat people.

People are not saying it is illegal for him to say what he said.

He expressed his opinion. Now other people are expressing their opinion. That's all it is, an opinion, not a law change.

A person has a right to express offensive opinions and to then expect that other people will have opinions about that as well. When people say it's not right. They don't mean it is illegal, they mean it is just repugnant to them.
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    This does not bother me in the least. I am a big girl. I know that. I shop for my size and I am happy to give my money to stores that DO carry clothes that fit and flatter my body, whatever size they may be. I don't wear their clothes, but they also don't get my money so it's win-win for me. :glasses:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    As a fat chick, I don't give a rats *kitten*. He is entitled to his preferences. Why do people think that they are the only one who is allowed to have an opinion? Get over it.

I don't mind him having an opinion, just as long as he keeps it to himself in polite society like almost everyone else does. Except that I think he is purposely rattling some cages and then that's just another thing altogether. I take Binary's point quite well actually however, not surprising. Except again that his opinions border on rant like and shock value and seem disingenuine for this.

I don't expect anyone to keep their thoughts to themselves because I don't intend to keep mine to MYSELF. Free speech. It's not very polite after all to tell people that they can only say things that you approve of. I say he can say what ever he wants, if I don't like what he says, I am sure it wont keep me up tonight, or any other night, because I will get over it.

This! I don't care who hates fat chicks, I'll just take my fat self to JC Penney and spend my money there. Problem solved.

Yes I get free speech, but if he wants to say it, I can't stop him. Then if I don't want him to earn one single cent off of me then I don't shop there. That's what I mean. I can just take my pennies down to the next store where I haven't heard any inflammatory remarks made by the owner who stands to profit from my purchase. That's my right too. Along with the free speech to counter his free speech right as well.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    My kids used to love their clothing but after having to spend their own money on it they realize its not worth what they pay. Its cheaply made junk. All of the shirts are paper thin and rip easily. Their jeans wear our and rip easily as well. My daughter says she would rather pay $20 but a pair of jeans from Walmart that last forever than pay 50 to 70 on their cheaply made jeans that will rip within the first month. Unfortunately our youngest son loves their cologne. We all get gassed out whenever he uses it.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I can't shop at Lane Bryant because their clothes are just a little too big for me. It doesn't make me upset in any way, so why should we get upset if stores won't carry a larger size?

I don't agree with him hating fat women, of course. However, he is entitled to his opinion and how he runs his business is how own business, really.
    Exactly. It seems that people here are essentially saying that they wouldn't care how he marketed his clothes if he didn't say it. That's not very fair to him and infringes on his first amendment right.

Basically, Mr. CEO, it's okay to hate fat people and not make clothes for them, just don't flat out say you hate fat people.

He expressed his opinion. Now other people are expressing their opinion. That's all it is, an opinion, not a law change.

A person has a right to express offensive opinions and to then expect that other people will have opinions about that as well. When people say it's not right. They don't mean it is illegal, they mean it is just repugnant to them.
    I understand that, and I agree that there's nothing wrong with expressing an opinion, but that's also the main point I made there. A lot of people have said that after reading his opinion in this article, they don't want to buy clothes from his store. Nothing else has changed. His marketing strategy is the same. He hasn't cut sizes at the release of the article. So basically, they're saying that had he not expressed his opinion, they would be okay still shopping at his store. That's saying that he shouldn't share his opinion or risk losing business. That's all I'm saying.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    i feel grateful he only wants tiny things to wear his stuff...

honest...

the last time I was in their store...all I remember was that it was dark, narrow, with fake palm trees all over the place and almost everything of the girls in either disgusting plaid combinations or huge dark blue floral prints...

i'm sorry...but i'm not really a fan of either of those patterns....he can keep draping those on his tiny preferences...

honest.

I didn't even know we had Abercrombie and fitch in Canada. It must be much less popular here.

Its in the Chinook Centre Mall in the new addition part on the second floor. But yeah...

it's meh...and is usually empty.
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I took my daughters in there one time, and they found a boatload of stuff on sale--I mean a ton things. As the nasty little sale person was ringing up our stuff (I mean tons, maybe 30 items or more--it was a huge sale), I asked him about their perfume, and he looked up at me, and gave me a snarl and smugly said...that's number 8 or something like that....

I said, wow...are you having a good day, because your attitude is kinda, ummmm....not cool. He looked a bit shocked, straighten up just a wee bit, and keep ringing up our HUGE load of stuff and didn't bother to answer me. As I was watching him ring our stuff up...I was looking around at the weird pics and told my daughters, ya know what? I don't like the "tudes" up in here--my two daughters whispered to me and said--that's why we never come in here--it's weird up in here, mother--let's go somewhere else--to Lucky Brand instead. I said, you're right! The young dude looked at me and rolled his prissy eyes and continued ringing up our huge purchase. I just looked at him--with one eye brow raised. When it got to the last item, it gave me the total...which was a lot and he dared to say, hmmmph he gave me the total.... I looked at him and said:

"Ya know what sweetie...I don't like your attitude--I've changed my mind--I'm not getting any of this stuff, I'm going to take my daughters to Lucky Brand instead and give them our money and business instead of you--so you can just cancel that big huge order and have fun putting all that stuff back....then I said--- HMMMMPH!

He looked at me and said, oh my God, I'm sorry, I'm sorry--I'm soooo sorry!!!! I told him I am too--next time he'd better treat people like he wants to be treated, and not like your customers are doing you a favor honey and my daughters and I flounced out the store with prissy delight and shopped until we dropped at Lucky Brand instead (which is one of my daughters favorite stores).

My daughters have NEVER stepped their skinny selves in that store since!

Hmmmmmph :smooched:

Love this.

I think this is all a marketing ploy in some twisted way and that's what bugs me. Abercrombie's sales have been suffering for years and they are projected to actually lose money this year (well, up until recent consultants swooped in). The thing is, I think this story circulating is going to empower crude little farty children/teens to feel more elite and cool when they were Abercrombie.

To me, this kind of story being read by an impressionable kid might be met with, dare I say it, enthusiasm. And I think that's the point. I think this story became a thing because Abercrombie wanted it to become a thing to engage their potential customer in conversation. It says, "if you're cool, and special, and not fat, come into Abercrombie and make it known to your peers". Can't say it's not brilliant, and can't say it's a new concept either, but It's still an unpleasant thing to deal with if you're a young, impressionable and overweight kid/teen who wants to be cool but feels filtered out of a certain store/look.

As adults, we'll just take our money elsewhere. As kids/teens, some are likely to feel like they are coming up short always. And I say this coming from the standpoint of a former teen who wanted to be cool and wear Abercrombie but rarely fit into their clothes because I had boobs and a fuller behind (and I wasn't even fat at that point).
  • 5erious
    5erious Posts: 469
    Options
    Lol dunno y it bothers u so much. I've had some fat chicks say "eww" if im ever shirtless. THe 10/10 hbb's on the other hand mire hard and get D so its all good.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Are we all shopping at the same Abercrombie and Fitch? I mean, I agree that shopping in such a dimly lit, loud, cologne-filled environment isn't pleasant compared to many other stores, but I'm not sure where this idea that their clothes are soooo small came from. Even at my heaviest (145ish at 5'4") I fit comfortably into an A&F medium/size 6. Their clothes fit like pretty well any other store in the mall and bigger than a lot of juniors stores.

I've bought A&F jeans for years as they fit my shape well (some hips but no butt) and are a lot cheaper than the designer brands I like which also fit my body. I wait for sales, get in, get out, and happily wear my perfectly fitting jeans. And yeah...they fit an average sized girl like me just fine. Dumb comments from their CEO don't change the way my jeans fit, luckily.

Oh well it's just that your heaviest and my heaviest aren't the same. But no offense I'm glad you're still small at your largest. It's better that way easier to get back on track and all. However even at my smallest I could never fit into those tiny bras I saw on my one and only trip INTO that store. I may be able to fit their other things soon, but IDK if I want to shop at a place where apparently the quality isnt' all that and the owner is kind of mean, and possibly trying to get attention in a negative shock jock kind of way. His brand should stand on it's own, as good quality and good styling and need no explanation. It should fly off the racks if those two things are up to snuff.

All I wanted to say with that is that their clothes aren't smaller than other mall chains. They carry 00-12 in my A&F, which is pretty much the same as any other straight size chain store like American Eagle, Aeropostale, Banana Republic, Zara, JCrew, H&M....
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    THe 10/10 hbb's on the other hand mire hard and get D so its all good.

I don't even understand what you said there.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    That dude is ugly and juvenile... but that said Meh, it's the company perogative to carry up to a certain size.

Also, I'm mighty jealous of Americans getting 16-18 sizes in regular stores. You can't get that outside a Plus Size store in Canada. Even 14 is a stretch in a normal store here.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    I have not shopped at that store and do not defend any poor choices they make.

But, that aside, it is important to know that there are a lot of plus sized only stores.

Also, the vast majority of stores do not sell the xxs sizes. So, when there is a store that specializes in smaller sizes, only sells smaller sizes, or sells sizes in smaller sizes that are a size small (instead of selling an extra small that is actually a medium). Those are the stores I am going to shop at, and take note of and know that I will be able to go to that store and actually find clothing that fits me.

Whenever I hear people complaining that a certain store only sells small sizes I go check it out because maybe that will be a place that will be easy for me to shop at, that will have a wider selection and will actually maybe even have some items that fit me. Small people need clothing and lingerie also. The reality is that anyone that is either larger than average or smaller than average is going to have trouble finding clothing, and as a result there will be companies that cater to smaller people and companies that cater to larger people.

that's fine, but you don't hear anyone going around saying "i hate skinny chicks" or "these clothes aren't meant to represent skinny people"...

That's why I said I don't support the poor choices right at the top. And have gone on to explain that it's ok for a store to cater to a void in the market, but not ok to do it for the reasons that A&F is.

But, I do often hear people complaining when a store seems to cater to smaller sizes or when the sizes are smaller than in other stores. And I was only explaining that sometimes there is a non-offensive reason for that.

theres a store down here that you midsized ladies may like.... Its called 5-7-9 .. literally everything in the store is a 5,7 or 9 lol... but they arent rude about it
  • michelleesther
    michelleesther Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    The CEO looks like he had face transplant surgery
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

I understand that, and I agree that there's nothing wrong with expressing an opinion, but that's also the main point I made there. A lot of people have said that after reading his opinion in this article, they don't want to buy clothes from his store. Nothing else has changed. His marketing strategy is the same. He hasn't cut sizes at the release of the article. So basically, they're saying that had he not expressed his opinion, they would be okay still shopping at his store. That's saying that he shouldn't share his opinion or risk losing business. That's all I'm saying.

But, just because someone makes clothes for only smaller sized people does not mean they do it because they hate fat people. In his case, we know the reason because he said it. But, if he marketed to small people because he just wanted to focus on a void in the market or because he likes small sizes that does not mean he hates fat people. So, it would not be logical to jump to that conclusion, unless he stated it (as he did). There are a lot of companies that cater to a specific market and it is for that market and has nothing to do with the people that won't be able to shop there.
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    lol that's fine I can't get within 3 feet of that stanky store without having a coughing fit anyway.
  • crista_b
    Options

But, just because someone makes clothes for only smaller sized people does not mean they do it because they hate fat people. In his case, we know the reason because he said it. But, if he marketed to small people because he just wanted to focus on a void in the market or because he likes small sizes that does not mean he hates fat people. So, it would not be logical to jump to that conclusion, unless he stated it (as he did). There are a lot of companies that cater to a specific market and it is for that market and has nothing to do with the people that won't be able to shop there.
    I agreed with the person who said "I don't agree with him hating fat women, of course. However, he is entitled to his opinion and how he runs his business is how own business, really." So we're back to exactly what I said before. Basically, Mr. CEO, it's okay to hate fat people and not make clothes for them, just don't flat out say you hate fat people.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    lol that's fine I can't get within 3 feet of that stanky store without having a coughing fit anyway.

Why are their stores stinky? What do they smell like? Do they do this on purpose?..
  • Sleepynita
    Sleepynita Posts: 82
    Options
    i feel grateful he only wants tiny things to wear his stuff...

honest...

the last time I was in their store...all I remember was that it was dark, narrow, with fake palm trees all over the place and almost everything of the girls in either disgusting plaid combinations or huge dark blue floral prints...

i'm sorry...but i'm not really a fan of either of those patterns....he can keep draping those on his tiny preferences...

honest.

I didn't even know we had Abercrombie and fitch in Canada. It must be much less popular here.

Its in the Chinook Centre Mall in the new addition part on the second floor. But yeah...

it's meh...and is usually empty.

And West Edmonton Mall, also generally dead. I think the average person ages out of that store by 15 now.
  • crista_b
    Options

Why are their stores stinky? What do they smell like? Do they do this on purpose?..
    They drench everything in their perfume/cologne. Yes, it's done on purpose for marketing.