Who wants to eat fish when it tastes so fishy?

Options

Replies

• marz42
    marz42 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    About how long would you cook a piece of frozen tilapia on what heat? If it were in the oven I mean.
    If your fish tastes fishy, its not fresh :huh:

Tilapia is my favorite. I make sure I buy wild caught filets the day I am going to eat it. Just bake it in the oven, then top it with cilantro and lime after cooking and enjoy!!!

Totally true, the fresher the fish, the less fishy it smells.

Definitely get wild Tilapia, farmed Tilapia is fed corn- GROSS!

I often cook my fish from frozen, as long as you get a good brand it will be fresh (this is how I got my husband to eat fish). I bake it (totally frozen) in little foil packets with some butter (or margerine), garlic and some very thinly sliced lemon. I've also made it with olive oil and montreal steak spice and my 20 year old brother totally loved it!

You can also mix poached fish with a potato-cawliflower-pea mixture, top with some panko and there you have a fish pie!
  • what_lola_wants
    what_lola_wants Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    If your fish tastes fishy, its not fresh :huh:

Agree. We chinese love to use ginger to cover the fishy smell
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I was never fond of eating fish either. Needless to say, I'm a vegetarian now.
    May I ask why you want to add fish to your diet? If it's for nutritional reasons, there are plenty of non fish alternatives that can give you all the nutrition, plus more, you would get from eating fish.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why you are trying to add foods to your diet that you don't like?

I hate onions, and you won't see me trying to hide those suckers in my food.

But I happen to love fish, even the "fishy tasting" ones. YUM!
  • OmegaAlpha007
    OmegaAlpha007 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    - Are you serving fish tonight?
    - No
    - Then I believe my guest has arrived :)
  • confetti_blind
    confetti_blind Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Me and Fish. We are so over.

Never again.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I just ate some. You should try tilapia it has a way better taste and smell
  • FaerieCae
    FaerieCae Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    If fish is fresh it doesnt have a 'fishy' smell or taste. If it smells rank, dont buy or eat it!
  • AngieSchaible
    AngieSchaible Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    why eat fish or seafood if you don't like it. I don't understand! if it's for the health benefits take a fish oil capsule or something.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    most filets should have no "fish" odor, but if you don't like eat don't eat it.

problem solved.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    "Fishy" fish is fish that's not fresh. There are strong-tasting fish, but they shouldn't taste "fishy."

I don't eat fish a lot because it's freaking impossible to get good fish around here. I'm a little peeved at that as I'm in Florida.

But, regardless- why are you eating food you don't like? You're an adult.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    A) You're wrong. Fish is lovely!
    B) If I accept your basic position that you don't want 'fishy fish' try 'fish fingers' (not sure if that translates to the USA - if not look it up) they are basically cod or haddock in breadcrumbs - they are cheap, healthy, not very 'fishy' and no bones.
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    The fishier the better. Shooot I even dip it in fish sauce...
  • HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    There's a reason people say, "There's something fishy about this." It means there is something off. Don't eat fishy fish.

==eta - Just saw that this is from February. Oops. ==
  • Rarity2013
    Rarity2013 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    It's true that the fresher it is, the less "fishy" the taste and smell.

I used to hate all fish when I was little, but I got first into salmon, and then went from there. I particularly like pollock, which is mild, but my favourite is River Cobbler, which is Vietnamese catfish. It's cheap and has a substantial texture- it never seems to taste fishy, just good!

I like to roast cobbler fillets in the oven with cherry tomatoes, mozzarella chunks, basil, oregano, parsley and a little olive oil. Cook it while you do your pasta, and it'll be done at the same time. Even better if you melt some more mozzarella and some cheddar cheese on top of your pasta under the grill before you serve.

Yum.
  • gislihh
    gislihh Posts: 10
    Options
    Since it seems that it has not been mentioned, most people I have met seem to like a good sole (typically fried), you should try that. You could also come to Iceland, especially Ísafjörður, for the best fish restaurant there is, if that doesn't work you will probably have to give up.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I'm in Australia so I don't know what the best fish are in the US. I have eaten farmed tilapia in Fiji; blerch.

People in my family who aren't so keen on fish do like fish cakes - cooked white fillets + mashed sweet potato, egg to bind, flour the outside and fry in a bit of oil.

The other way they like it is fish pie like we used to have in the UK. Cooked fillets in white sauce with cheese on top.

Farmed fish tastes bad. It is cheap but it always tastes muddy.
  • ShellyAnn1965
    ShellyAnn1965 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    mahi mahi...

but my favorite is fish tacos!

Mahi Mahi!!!!! An excellent way to try to train your taste buds towards fish!