Whole Egg vs. Egg White

Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,899 Member
    Options

are you one of those people who thinks all saturated fats are bad for you?
    Nope, I've been for a decade a supporter of natural saturated fat consumption.

why would you do such a thing if it adversely affects your blood cholesterol?

Where did I mention adversely?
  • HatherM
    HatherM Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I've cut down the amount of yolk I eat as the yolk can be a trigger for my IBS, but luckily I have 2 cats that love the yolk so it never goes to waste :happy:
  • babyseal_24
    babyseal_24 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    there's always a middle ground somewhere, you just have to look for it. the (positive) nutritional value of the yolk is indisputable- vitamins, proein, and good fats (yes, fat CAN be good), so i always look at what else im eating for breakfast (just an egg is not enough usually). if im only eating a scrambled egg, i leave the yolk. if the egg is part of a sandwich or an omelet , i just do white. just be careful youre still getting proper nutrition- a lot of times, people focus too much on calories and dont realise that theyre cutting out what their body really needs. if you eat a properly balanced diet, chances are you wont have to worry about dalories at all.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Health-wise, the yolk is packed with all kinds of good stuff, more than worth the 50 or so calories you're eating. Sadly, I think egg yolks are nasty, but I do eat whites all the time. I've always disliked them, except for during one of my pregnancies when I craved them like mad (I think it was because I was anemic - sometimes, your body does know what you need).

Re: egg whites in cartons - I've calculated it out (since I do eat egg whites all the time and feel super wasteful pitching the yolks), and depending on the type of eggs you buy it can still be cheaper to buy the whole eggs and separate them. If you're getting basic large or extra large eggs, yes, don't bother with the cartons (unless even basic eggs are really expensive where you are). If you're buying cage-free or something, not as much. Check for yourself, though, as obviously prices from area to area and store to store can vary widely.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

are you one of those people who thinks all saturated fats are bad for you?
    Nope, I've been for a decade a supporter of natural saturated fat consumption.

why would you do such a thing if it adversely affects your blood cholesterol?

Where did I mention adversely?

ah. so you picked a fight for no reason.

got it.

carry on, y'all. nothing to see here. N actually agrees with me but felt like it was a good day to argue semantics. Typical.
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    i say eat the whole egg. the only reason i don't is because i don't like the taste of egg yolks and egg whites are more a binder for a lot of veggies for weekend breakfast for me. i throw the yolks into the compost. my husband likes the yolk so i make his eggs whole.

i could buy that cartoned egg white stuff but 1 - i think it is creepy and 2 - can you believe the farmer i buy my eggs from doesn't sell it ;-)
  • Danieboo757
    Danieboo757 Posts: 43
    Options
    honestly the only ppl that should be concerned with egg white or not are ppl with high chelestrol. the yolk has too much chelesterol for them to eat everyday but if this doesnt apply to you then you should be good either way. I personally opt for egg white only bcuz my family has a history of high blood pressure and high chelesterol so I try to eat better to head off a bad situation early
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I understand the rationale of don't waste it, eat it (My family always had the motto of "never turn down food"...) and trying to change this mentality, but in this instance, getting a good solid breakfast is important. Unless you have worries about cholesterol, eat the whole egg. If 90-ish calories are a deal breaker for your calorie intake, I'd look at what else you're eating to make changes, or put in some extra exercise daily.
    Remember, this is about healthy eating and making smart choices for life, not restricting your eating habits until you freak out and binge. You may take my unnecessary creamer from my cold dead hands, I eat healthy in other ways.

No. Eggs do NOT affect your cholesterol levels. No effect. NONE. Eat them regardless of whether or not you've got high cholesterol.
    Sometimes your comments, while potentially true, are somewhat lacking in helpful information, why do eggs not affect cholesterol levels? Yes, they do have dietary cholesterol, and yes, it does affect your cholesterol, but not the 'bad' cholesterol that is the concern most people have.
    The fat in eggs affect the HDL cholesterol (the 'good') as it's unsaturated fats, as opposed to saturated fats that affect the LDL cholesterol ('bad' that causes lining in the blood vessels). The difference is in knowing what cholesterol is being affected by the foods you eat, and that was left unspecified in my comment, and left as a general 'cholesterol' comment, as some people have issues with different types of cholesterol (ie last physical my bad cholesterol was at a good level, but my good cholesterol was at a bad level), so my bad on not getting into the technicals of it. The word cholesterol in general tends to tweak people out apparently.
  • Pulka_Dot
    Pulka_Dot Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Here you go. Eggs are one of the few naturally occuring food sources of Vitamin D.

Are egg yolks healthy?

This is a confusing one. Egg yolks are known primarily for their high cholesterol content. But the medical research community has learned that dietary cholesterol is a different measure than blood level of cholesterol, which is associated with increased risk of heart attack and stroke.

One recent study echoes the growing research, showing that egg consumption had no effect on the overall blood cholesterol levels of 115 healthy adults. What's more, another recent study found some evidence that eating whole eggs increases HDL -- the heart-protective, "good" cholesterol.

"There are much bigger problems in the American diet than cholesterol," says Drew Ramsey, M.D. an assistant clinical professor of Psychiatry at Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons, who studies the connection between lifestyle behaviors like diet and psychological health. "There's not data to suggest that it should be at the top of people's worries about food choices. Everyone's in agreement about that: The real problem with diabetes and obesity is eating too much processed food."

And there are several nutrients specific to the egg yolk that help promote overall health. Egg yolks are one of the richest dietary sources of the B-complex vitamin choline, which is associated with better neurological function and reduced inflammation. There's also evidence that dietary choline helps with fetal brain development when pregnant women eat it. Another side benefit of a diet rich in choline is, well, happiness.

Choline breaks down into bethane, which is used during the methylation cycle, which in turn helps produce 'happiness' hormones like serotonin, dopamine, norephinephrine, explains Ramsey.

Egg yolks also contain two carotenoids, lutein and zeaxanthin, which protect against vision loss. And, as we've reported earlier, they have a big dose of sulfur:

Eggs are also high in sulfur, an essential nutrient that helps with everything from vitamin B absorption to liver function. But sulfur is also necessary for the production of collagen and keratin, which help create and maintain shiny hair, strong nails and glowing skin.

The yolk's health benefits should not overshadow egg whites, however, which are a low-calorie, low-fat source of perfect protein. In fact, eggs are considered the "gold standard" for protein quality because their amino acids are the most digestible to humans.

But even though egg yolks are certainly a health food, they haven't been cleared for unlimited consumption: Mayo Clinic recommends consuming no more than four eggs per week, which is the amount they found to be healthy in adults.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/30/health-benefits-of-eggs-yolks_n_2966554.html
  • McSpike
    McSpike Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    there's always a middle ground somewhere, you just have to look for it. the (positive) nutritional value of the yolk is indisputable- vitamins, proein, and good fats (yes, fat CAN be good), so i always look at what else im eating for breakfast (just an egg is not enough usually). if im only eating a scrambled egg, i leave the yolk. if the egg is part of a sandwich or an omelet , i just do white. just be careful youre still getting proper nutrition- a lot of times, people focus too much on calories and dont realise that theyre cutting out what their body really needs. if you eat a properly balanced diet, chances are you wont have to worry about dalories at all.

^^^ This!
    I eat just whites when I'm making a sandwich or an omelette, but if the eggs are by themselves, I eat the whole egg.

I too, have high cholesterol, and my Doctor (not some stranger on the internet) told me to limit my whole egg intake to 2 a week, but I can have as many whites as I want. I wonder why a Doctor, who went to school longer than some of the posters in this thread have been alive, would recommend that if egg yolks have no effect on blood cholesterol levels? Taljk about face/plam...
    Just sayin'
  • Bridgett2867
    Options
    Try an one egg, two egg whites omelet. I always add onions, tomato, mushrooms and one slice of cheese to bulk it up. Super yummy.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I understand the rationale of don't waste it, eat it (My family always had the motto of "never turn down food"...) and trying to change this mentality, but in this instance, getting a good solid breakfast is important. Unless you have worries about cholesterol, eat the whole egg. If 90-ish calories are a deal breaker for your calorie intake, I'd look at what else you're eating to make changes, or put in some extra exercise daily.
    Remember, this is about healthy eating and making smart choices for life, not restricting your eating habits until you freak out and binge. You may take my unnecessary creamer from my cold dead hands, I eat healthy in other ways.

No. Eggs do NOT affect your cholesterol levels. No effect. NONE. Eat them regardless of whether or not you've got high cholesterol.
    Sometimes your comments, while potentially true, are somewhat lacking in helpful information, why do eggs not affect cholesterol levels? Yes, they do have dietary cholesterol, and yes, it does affect your cholesterol, but not the 'bad' cholesterol that is the concern most people have.
    The fat in eggs affect the HDL cholesterol (the 'good') as it's unsaturated fats, as opposed to saturated fats that affect the LDL cholesterol ('bad' that causes lining in the blood vessels). The difference is in knowing what cholesterol is being affected by the foods you eat, and that was left unspecified in my comment, and left as a general 'cholesterol' comment, as some people have issues with different types of cholesterol (ie last physical my bad cholesterol was at a good level, but my good cholesterol was at a bad level), so my bad on not getting into the technicals of it. The word cholesterol in general tends to tweak people out apparently.

there is actually a good amount of saturated fat in eggs as well - and no, it does not raise you LDL like previously believed.

here's the kicker - do eggs (and most foods) affect your cholesterol levels? yes, and most whole foods affect your cholesterol in a positive way. however, 95% of the time when people hear the word cholesterol in the same sentence as a food item, they instantly become paralyzed with fear of said food item, so while I am prone to hyperbole, I use it because I'd rather have people understand that eggs won't HURT them, than bog things down with minutiae. Besides, the minutiae comes about anyway over the course of a thread, but in my book making a very clear "eggs will not hurt you" statement has its place. IMO of course.
  • Bridgett2867
    Options
    Ha ha ha.....when I don't use the yolks .......my pets benefit from it. Not often tho.
  • nahiluoh
    nahiluoh Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    One whole egg is only about 70 calories. Yolks contain most of the nutrition and all of the taste for an egg!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Unless you:
    A. Don't like them.
    or
    B. The doctor said to cut them out.
    Then there is no real reason to cut them out. I normally have 1 egg and then 1 serving egg whites for breakfast, but sometimes I do have 2 eggs...and that is only about 140 calories. If you are so worried about that the 50 calories in the yokes are going to do to you, then how many eggs have you been eating? I can understand if you are knocking back 6 eggs a morning....after all that is a lot. But cutting the yoke out of the eggs to cut the calories I find pretty funny, when you could cut the empty calories instead (for example sodas and sweets).
  • NumbrsNerd
    NumbrsNerd Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I've cut down the amount of yolk I eat as the yolk can be a trigger for my IBS, but luckily I have 2 cats that love the yolk so it never goes to waste :happy:

I have a cat too...how do you feed yours the egg yolk?? I apparently waste a *kitten*-ton of yolk (which is why I have bad cholesterol, apparently), so I could start feeding them to my cat....
  • Jenny9000
    Jenny9000 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I usually buy a carton of eggs and have one over easy on a piece of toast or something. But you can also buy little milk like containers of egg whites ( in Canada anyways, dunno what the rest of the world does) I eat egg whites almost every day, no fat or carbs. Just calories and protein! With lots of pepper, lol
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

^^^ This!
    I eat just whites when I'm making a sandwich or an omelette, but if the eggs are by themselves, I eat the whole egg.

I too, have high cholesterol, and my Doctor (not some stranger on the internet) told me to limit my whole egg intake to 2 a week, but I can have as many whites as I want. I wonder why a Doctor, who went to school longer than some of the posters in this thread have been alive, would recommend that if egg yolks have no effect on blood cholesterol levels? Taljk about face/plam...
    Just sayin'

My doctor told me that dietary cholesterol has little effect on blood cholesterol levels, as do my med school and resident friends. Apparently opinions differ.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    read skinny ***** or Skinny *kitten* ..eat the whole egg!!!!
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I've had 4 whole eggs today......love eggs!!!!!

Why throw the yolk away.....best part!!!!