For those on LCHF/Paleo here is a cool infographic

Options

Replies

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

I noticed you skipped answering my question about whether you lost a lot of weight eating paleo without a calorie restriction. Again.

i've never been overweight. I eat as much as I can daily.

Exactly.

well... only sort of. I don't have a calorie restriction, though I'll admit my case is not typical.

that said, if you're eating a truly paleo diet of meat, veggie, fruit, nuts and seeds, there's almost no physical way to go above your TDEE unless you're eating JUST nuts all day. if you're eating a balanced diet of all these things, it's incredibly hard to go over your maintenance because of the volume of food that would require.
    Fatty meats will easily put you over your calorie expenditure.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

I noticed you skipped answering my question about whether you lost a lot of weight eating paleo without a calorie restriction. Again.

Exactly.

well... only sort of. I don't have a calorie restriction, though I'll admit my case is not typical.

that said, if you're eating a truly paleo diet of meat, veggie, fruit, nuts and seeds, there's almost no physical way to go above your TDEE unless you're eating JUST nuts all day. if you're eating a balanced diet of all these things, it's incredibly hard to go over your maintenance because of the volume of food that would require.

again, only if you're eating ribs all day. like i said, in a balanced diet of all those things, it's incredibly hard to do. notice, however, i did not say impossible. you still need to not be an idiot.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

mmm, ill take tooth decay over 30 year life span. high 5 yall.

i don't think you're fighting sabertooth tigers... right?

images-10_zps83d5ca9e.jpeg
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Count calories, exercise, and just try not to eat much processed food for good, lasting energy. Even processed food will burn if you are tracking and exercising. None of this dieting nonsense.

Your response is simple, and rational.
    tumblr_mlf7ccBr2W1re2p0co1_250.gif
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    When this type of thing gets posted, I am still trying to find out how you get fat on an energy deficit. Insulin is a fat storage hormone...yes, but the body needs something to actually store!
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

Exactly.

again, only if you're eating ribs all day. like i said, in a balanced diet of all those things, it's incredibly hard to do. notice, however, i did not say impossible. you still need to not be an idiot.

serious question.

do you derive more pleasure from planning (plotting?) your daily meals, or from eating them?
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    When this type of thing gets posted, I am still trying to find out how you get fat on an energy deficit. Insulin is a fat storage hormone...yes, but the body needs something to actually store!

right, it just comes down to the whole "having to count" vs "not having to count" thing.

I don't recommend people jump onto the paleo wagon and stop counting calories immediately, but after a time, you start to understand how it all works, you understand what your body needs (if you pay attention) and at that point it no longer becomes necessary to count calories if you're following a truly strict paleo diet. That said, I also wouldn't recommend THAT unless you truly enjoy it.

But i guess the idea is if you take both sides to an extreme, being paleo is "easier" on a day-to-day level - at least on the calorie counting front. and it really is true that populations who don't eat grains - or eat significantly fewer grains, are healthier. so take away what you will. to lose weight you still need to eat a deficit, and even if you eat grains, if you're at a deficit you won't get fat. yaaaaaay
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Exactly.

serious question.

do you derive more pleasure from planning (plotting?) your daily meals, or from eating them?

i actually don't plan my meals ahead of time. i just buy a bunch of stuff, then make whatever I can from those ingredients.

today I made no-oat oatmeal from crushed up nuts, banana, 3 eggs, peanut butter (ruh roh, should be almond, the paleo gods are angered), a lil coconut milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, mix up and heat. delish.
  • Proyecto_AN
    Proyecto_AN Posts: 387
    Options
    entropy
  • Babeskeez
    Options
    Of course it's not carbs themselves, it's the overconsumption of carbs, and how carbs affect your body. Try to get obese overconsuming dietary fat. I'd really like to see that. :) The infographic pretty explicitly states that it's the response from having quick-digesting processed wheat flour that causes insulin to come out, and it's pretty accurate as far as insulin's effects. Having ONE BAGEL isn't gonna do that, I agree. People who have problems with carbs and end up getting fat from them rarely seem to have the willpower to reduce their intake that way and restrict their calories precisely because of the serotonin and dopamine released become addictive. I'm a sufferer of chronic depression. I'm very sensitive to carbohydrates causing a spike in my insulin, and releasing neurotransmitters that make me feel amazing for a while... then suddenly crashing and feeling like nothing is right in the world, and being angry for no reason at everyone and at myself. So far, donuts don't make me try to kill myself, but I do feel like absolute crap for a few days.

So... Yeah. If you don't have mental problems in the first place, you're probably fine with a bagel. For me, a ketogenic diet is better than taking prozac to balance my mood and prevent jumping off a bridge. The bonus is that since starting it, I lost almost 50lbs, my blood pressure and heart rate are amazing, and my cholesterol is perfect. I'm only deficient in vitamin D and that's probably from having an office job. :)

*edit for science references* http://www.livestrong.com/article/458140-do-carbohydrates-raise-serotonin-dopamine/
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/340959-serotonin-and-dopamine-for-depression/

I can easily put back 6000 cals a day in just steak. No problem. Are you seriously saying I wouldn't get fatter Ike that?

This except swap steak with prime rib....extra rare. MOOOOO. :love: :love: :love:
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options

Exactly.

serious question.

i actually don't plan my meals ahead of time. i just buy a bunch of stuff, then make whatever I can from those ingredients.

today I made no-oat oatmeal from crushed up nuts, banana, 3 eggs, peanut butter (ruh roh, should be almond, the paleo gods are angered), a lil coconut milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, mix up and heat. delish.

I think the actual name of this recipe is 'Eggy Nut Butter Banana Mush'. I could be wrong though. It does however sound like something I'd eat as a side dish with my eggless omelette.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything against bacon, but I will still choose the bagel and cream cheese every time and ignore people who may think they are being helpful with their ignorant and misplaced advice. I have no tolerance for it and I feel badly for people who are looking for help and have to hear all the bu**s**t out there,
  • MrsRoundbottom
    Options
    This is amazing! thanks for sharing!
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Love it!!! Let the doubters stay in their ways, we know the truth ;-)
  • Babeskeez
    Options
    I have said it before and I will say it again, ANY diet that restricts and keeps me from eating foods that I love, is not a sustainable diet. At least for me. I love food too damn much to not eat certain things. No THANK YOU.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    I have said it before and I will say it again, ANY diet that restricts and keeps me from eating foods that I love, is not a sustainable diet. At least for me. I love food too damn much to not eat certain things. No THANK YOU.

then you're right, it's not for you! :smile: good thing no one's forcing you to do it!

personally i don't like foods that keep me from functioning at an optimal level. to me, my health is more important than my taste buds. but to each their own.
  • Babeskeez
    Options

then you're right, it's not for you! :smile: good thing no one's forcing you to do it!

personally i don't like foods that keep me from functioning at an optimal level. to me, my health is more important than my taste buds. but to each their own.

I have an honest non snarky question. 30 years from now are you going to be glad you have restricted foods you may have enjoyed or will you wish you ate more?

I think like this because I work with older people. IT has gotten me to be good to my body and exercise because I can see what not being active can do. But I also try to live every day with fun, doing things I love, eating, drinking and being merry. IDK. Thats just me. But I guess if you enjoy it now then live and let live.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I have an honest non snarky question. 30 years from now are you going to be glad you have restricted foods you may have enjoyed or will you wish you ate more?

I think like this because I work with older people. IT has gotten me to be good to my body and exercise because I can see what not being active can do. But I also try to live every day with fun, doing things I love, eating, drinking and being merry. IDK. Thats just me. But I guess if you enjoy it now then live and let live.

if my only regret 30 years from now is that i didn't eat enough pizza, i think i'll be doing just fine.

that said, i eat pizza about once a month.
  • Babeskeez
    Options

if my only regret 30 years from now is that i didn't eat enough pizza, i think i'll be doing just fine.

that said, i eat pizza about once a month.
    [/quote

:wink:

Pizza is amazing. Thats all there is to it.