pregnancy doesn't "ruin" your body...

Options

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    The OP pics are hope and all the other comments are scaring the he** out of me. I'm terrified of doing all this work. Losing over 100 lbs, finally have a decent body for once in my life and then ... mangle it with a pregnancy. this is seriously unfair.

I agree with this. I am working my *kitten* off to get into the best shape of my life (right now I am at 22% body fat aiming for 16%), but my husband and I are planning to try for a baby this Fall. I will continue to work my *kitten* off while pregnant as much as I can, to keep in shape, and the OP's pictures give me hope that after my baby is born, with a little work and dedication, I will be back to the body I am aiming for now.

I have seen MANY other pictures of people who started off with a decent body, had a baby, and worked hard to look awesome and truly succeeded. I look to those people for hope and inspiration.

I choose to ignore all the others who want to chime in with their pregnancy woes. If something happens that my body ends up in poor condition that I need a tummy tuck or whatever, then so be it. But, I will take the OP's post as motivational and helpful for those of us worried about future pregnancies because of what all these other dissenters are saying.

I for one prefer to choose to remain positive rather than just saying, "well this is great, but it might not be true for me" or something like "good for you, but pregnancy made my body look like hell." Thank you OP for giving me some hope.
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Anyway, I'd just like to thank the OP for putting out that not everyone's body gets horribly damaged by pregnancy, and that excess weight shouldn't be blamed on only pregnancy. I do think we are accountable for our own health.

Says someone who has never shared her body with another human being.

Sorry, I'm bitter, this I know. But, again, for those of us that DID do what they could to keep their bodies fit, it's terribly offensive for someone to blame sloth and overindulgence for the damage done.

THAT is my problem with the original and continuous statements I keep reading.

Apparently pregnancy ruins more women's minds and sense of well-being than bodies. That's an ever more important lesson to remember when looking to have children. If I don't want to become nasty and bitter, don't have kids.

Say what you like. But until you have kids and realize you weren't one of the ones blessed with a snap back body which someone else condescends you for (by implying that if you don't look fabulous and toned post-baby that you've "let yourself go") keep your mouth shut.

The OP wasn't implying anything about you. She was saying getting pregnant, having a baby, etc., shouldn't be USED as an EXCUSE to let yourself go. Your insecurity is astounding. I'm sorry you are so unhappy with your body, but you can't really accuse someone of insulting you or insinuating things about you that just aren't there. It's ludicrous.

That is a rude statement though! You don't walk in other peoples shoes to know what they have lived through and why they may have those excess pounds or why they do not work on losing them. I have been through a lot since I was married, lived in poverty, had my child who was diagnosed as developmentally delayed, and was hospitalized and diagnosed as bipolar. Not everyone is like you or the op who were and are fairly thin. My sister had two babies and bounced back well. She did get a few stretchmarks. She had always been thin though and has a model like body. I have always had problems with my weight. Just because I have those problems does not mean I deserve to be attacked and seen as less than because I am overweight and gained a lot of that weight since I gave birth to my child. I am the same me even if I carry extra pounds. People who do use pregnancy and children as an excuse to gain weight usually learn pretty quickly not to do that. My cousin decided to eat whatever she wanted when she was pregnant and was very unhappy with her body after. She was always a few lbs away from a healthy weight though and ended up losing 15 lbs and getting to a healthy weight. She looks great even if she will never wear a bikini again because of her stretchmarks on her belly.

Some people battle with their weight and people who are naturally thin or only a few lbs overweight cannot understand what a struggle it is to get thin when you are prone to overeating and not being active enough.
  • flynnfinn
    flynnfinn Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    wow! considering it is mothers day, there are a lot of bitter moms out there. pregnancy isn't easy and sure we weren't all blessed with great genetics to bounch back like champ. and maybe some of us simply had difficulties post-partum (whatever they may be) that we were not able to eat right and exercise or work towards a great post-partum body. but COME ON LADIES! why are some of you so bitter? so many of you have posted, "well, YOU did not go through what i went through. this and this happened making it virtually physically impossible for me. i had (insert pregnancy condition here) and was ordered bedrest. see how YOU would deal with that!"

jesus...becoming a mother is a sacrifice but we are also rewarded exponentially. so many of you seem to read too much into what the OP is all about and looking for contempt in her post which isn't there.

at the end of the day, i created a life! i performed a miracle with my wee little self! we're all so lucky to have been able to do this. i have friends who can't conceive!

don't be so sour ladies. look at your child(ren) and think how much better they've made your life! would you really wish to go back and wish you could do it all again and NOT have children?
  • Mamahana82
    Mamahana82 Posts: 64
    Options
    Bitter or not, the women dissenting the OP's viewpoint that you can look as good as you did pre-pregnancy is perfectly valid. Many are stating that her OP is simply NOT accurate. It isn't true for all women. It isn't true for a lot of women. And not because they let themselves go, or aren't working hard enough, but because pregnancy and birth changes a woman's body physically, in some ways that are completely out of the mother's control.

No one is saying you can't be proud of having your body return to pre-pregnancy glory. But women are allowed to stick up for themselves and not be made to feel bad about things they absolutely cannot change with diet and exercise. It is hardly fair to minimize the feelings of these women by labeling them Bitter Betties and sour women as if they have to sit there and be quiet when someone is telling them that all women can look like the OP does with simple perseverance. Women make themselves martyers for enough reasons as is--can't we all just agree that one size doesn't fit all and move on with our lives? All moms would be better served if we stop trying to shove them all into one common mold.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    This thread should be locked.
  • MsEmmy
    MsEmmy Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    OP you look amazing!

Super incredible amazing!

Reading the first page of comments was a little surprising. I was expecting to read "Holy crap you look phenomenal!" but instead I saw people who just assume you're "lucky." Kind of discredits all the hard work that you've obviously put into your body. Anyways, I digress.

You're abs are rockin, and I'm going to get mine in the same shape as yours are. Pregnancy didn't ruin your body, and it sure as hell didn't ruin mine, either. :flowerforyou:

Nobody is saying she didn't work hard - I'm sure she did. But the implication was that everyone could do it if only they worked as hard as she did, and that somehow anyone who does have a less than perfect post-baby body only has themselves to blame because they didn't work hard enough. No amount of working hard will shift stretch marks on your belly and thighs or re-glue split muscles. I don't think my body is 'ruined' but it does affect what I can and can't wear and makes me supremely self concious when I go swimming. I certainly don't want to think that the fit women around me at the pool/ beach are thinking that I'm some kind of slob.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Bitter or not, the women dissenting the OP's viewpoint that you can look as good as you did pre-pregnancy is perfectly valid. Many are stating that her OP is simply NOT accurate. It isn't true for all women. It isn't true for a lot of women. And not because they let themselves go, or aren't working hard enough, but because pregnancy and birth changes a woman's body physically, in some ways that are completely out of the mother's control.

No one is saying you can't be proud of having your body return to pre-pregnancy glory. But women are allowed to stick up for themselves and not be made to feel bad about things they absolutely cannot change with diet and exercise. It is hardly fair to minimize the feelings of these women by labeling them Bitter Betties and sour women as if they have to sit there and be quiet when someone is telling them that all women can look like the OP does with simple perseverance. Women make themselves martyers for enough reasons as is--can't we all just agree that one size doesn't fit all and move on with our lives? All moms would be better served if we stop trying to shove them all into one common mold.
    this x 1000
    I am shocked at the amount of women claiming their pregnancies 'ruined' their bodies. I have several friends who would do anything to be blessed with a child and have not been so lucky as of yet.
    Count your blessings ladies!
    you think i love my kids any less because i'm unhappy with having split abs that increase my risk of back problems and a loss of sensation in my vag that pretty much ruined normal sex? boohoo, my poor hurted feelings, etc. :indifferent:
  • glovepuppet
    Options
    This thread should be locked.
    but there are inches of deceased equine still unbeaten.
  • glovepuppet
    Options
    You are so out of wack when you are pregnant. I was hungry all the time and if I did not eat I threw up. If I went to long without eating I felt extremely nauseous. I actually did pretty well weight wise during pregnancy but I had a lot of problems eating too much after the pregnancy. Pregnancy changed my eating habits. I used to eat like 2 meals a day before I got pregnant but after I started eating every few hours so I piled on the lbs. I have always had weight problems though.
    my sis was like that. more than two hours between food and she'd be sick. the only thing that stopped her heaving was carbs every 2 hours. she tried various medications and nothing helped. even when they decided to keep her in hospital until she'd had them, nothing but grazing all day helped.
  • altinkumjoy
    Options
    Hi, me too , stretch marks all over my belly after having 4 pregnancy's , loose skin come what ever I do , how slim i go there still there , I could crawl under a stone when we go on holiday and every one got there body's out, But Oh no not me all wrapped up boiling, trying to enjoy my self .

But do you know what the Hell , we should be proud that we have lovely kids and wouldn't be with out em ..............
    So come on girls lets not be too hard on our self's .
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    Nice belly. You are lucky. I had my first at age 30 and belly is not so lucky. 16 months after csection baby and well I don't like my belly and wouldn't wanna post a pic of it. Protruding and poochy belly and white, squiggly stretch marks under belly button area.

I have the same problem...first baby at age 18...then pregnant again at 29 - I gained SO much & with the constant up & down over the years - fat seems "permanently planted" on my body. The pouches of fat & cellulite wont go away. Just started a more intense workout, circuit training/cardio/strength mix in hopes to get rid of it...I guess we will see.

It seems to me this is the mentality the OP was hoping to challenge (at least in my view and I might be wrong). No, fat is NOT permanently planted on anyone and you CAN get rid of it. Good for you for trying and good luck!
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Anyway, I'd just like to thank the OP for putting out that not everyone's body gets horribly damaged by pregnancy, and that excess weight shouldn't be blamed on only pregnancy. I do think we are accountable for our own health.

Says someone who has never shared her body with another human being.

Sorry, I'm bitter, this I know. But, again, for those of us that DID do what they could to keep their bodies fit, it's terribly offensive for someone to blame sloth and overindulgence for the damage done.

THAT is my problem with the original and continuous statements I keep reading.

Apparently pregnancy ruins more women's minds and sense of well-being than bodies. That's an ever more important lesson to remember when looking to have children. If I don't want to become nasty and bitter, don't have kids.

Say what you like. But until you have kids and realize you weren't one of the ones blessed with a snap back body which someone else condescends you for (by implying that if you don't look fabulous and toned post-baby that you've "let yourself go") keep your mouth shut.

The OP wasn't implying anything about you. She was saying getting pregnant, having a baby, etc., shouldn't be USED as an EXCUSE to let yourself go. Your insecurity is astounding. I'm sorry you are so unhappy with your body, but you can't really accuse someone of insulting you or insinuating things about you that just aren't there. It's ludicrous.

That is a rude statement though! You don't walk in other peoples shoes to know what they have lived through and why they may have those excess pounds or why they do not work on losing them. I have been through a lot since I was married, lived in poverty, had my child who was diagnosed as developmentally delayed, and was hospitalized and diagnosed as bipolar. Not everyone is like you or the op who were and are fairly thin. My sister had two babies and bounced back well. She did get a few stretchmarks. She had always been thin though and has a model like body. I have always had problems with my weight. Just because I have those problems does not mean I deserve to be attacked and seen as less than because I am overweight and gained a lot of that weight since I gave birth to my child. I am the same me even if I carry extra pounds. People who do use pregnancy and children as an excuse to gain weight usually learn pretty quickly not to do that. My cousin decided to eat whatever she wanted when she was pregnant and was very unhappy with her body after. She was always a few lbs away from a healthy weight though and ended up losing 15 lbs and getting to a healthy weight. She looks great even if she will never wear a bikini again because of her stretchmarks on her belly.

Some people battle with their weight and people who are naturally thin or only a few lbs overweight cannot understand what a struggle it is to get thin when you are prone to overeating and not being active enough.

I was almost 200lbs before I started losing weight. I wouldn't call that "fairly thin". Plus I gained almost 70lbs while I was pregnant with my son. It took a big toll on my body, and not just in the appearance. I lost sensation for over a year before it started coming back, so I do know what that is like too. I lost most of my pregnancy weight after I had my son, but gained it back gradually after I got married. Please don't assume I've always been this way, I worked my *kitten* off to lose the weight I lost, and even if it wasn't 100+ pounds it doesn't make my struggle any less than yours or the next person's. I battled with weight and eating disorders since I was a kid. Don't make assumptions about me, please. No one was or is attacking you, merely stating facts and experiences. The OP was just sharing her experience and hoping to give some people hope that they could work to get their bodies back - and no, not a perfect pre-pregnancy body necessarily, but stating that pregnancy doesn't HAVE to completely RUIN your body, because in MOST cases, it really doesn't have to. Too many women DO use it as an excuse, imo.
  • glovepuppet
    Options
    hoping to give some people hope that they could work to get their bodies back - and no, not a perfect pre-pregnancy body necessarily, but stating that pregnancy doesn't HAVE to completely RUIN your body, because in MOST cases, it really doesn't have to. Too many women DO use it as an excuse, imo.
    you're absolutely right. and if the OP had phrased things honestly and accurately, as you did, this whole drama would never have happened.
  • Beezil
    Options
    hoping to give some people hope that they could work to get their bodies back - and no, not a perfect pre-pregnancy body necessarily, but stating that pregnancy doesn't HAVE to completely RUIN your body, because in MOST cases, it really doesn't have to. Too many women DO use it as an excuse, imo.
    you're absolutely right. and if the OP had phrased things honestly and accurately, as you did, this whole drama would never have happened.

Agreed. But, also, if people didn't focus so much on wording and took the gist of what she said instead. I know that's a lot to expect out of people in general, and I don't personally expect it. I think the OP expected too much out of people, though. Wording makes a big difference, for sure. It's just one of those things where something gets taken the wrong way and a mob of people runs with it. I think wars have probably been started on more than one occasion due to a misunderstanding... lol
  • glovepuppet
    Options

Agreed. But, also, if people didn't focus so much on wording and took the gist of what she said instead. I know that's a lot to expect out of people in general, and I don't personally expect it. I think the OP expected too much out of people, though. Wording makes a big difference, for sure. It's just one of those things where something gets taken the wrong way and a mob of people runs with it. I think wars have probably been started on more than one occasion due to a misunderstanding... lol
    we communicate here entirely by words. i realise it's a lot to expect from people in general, but chosing your words carefully so that they express what you mean is a good idea. if you state that the sky is green then expecting everyone to agree with you that it's blue is foolish.
  • Beezil
    Options

we communicate here entirely by words. i realise it's a lot to expect from people in general, but chosing your words carefully so that they express what you mean is a good idea. if you state that the sky is green then expecting everyone to agree with you that it's blue is foolish.

lol Yeah, I see your point. I guess I just figure it's similar to someone posting a success story and saying "If I Can Do It, So Can You!" I don't think in that scenario it would be appropriate, or called for, for people to get riled up as they have here. I know the situation is different, but in essence it is about the same. As much as I understand why women have gotten offended by the OP's post, I still think it's ridiculous for them to take it so personally - or to actually get offended. Most of what people are saying she has implied or "stated" even, just isn't there.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I think it's a highly individual process. It's not good to be pessimistic and let oneself go, but it doesn't help to be overly optimistic either. You have to see what happens.
  • glovepuppet
    Options
    lol Yeah, I see your point. I guess I just figure it's similar to someone posting a success story and saying "If I Can Do It, So Can You!" I don't think in that scenario it would be appropriate, or called for, for people to get riled up as they have here. I know the situation is different, but in essence it is about the same. As much as I understand why women have gotten offended by the OP's post, I still think it's ridiculous for them to take it so personally - or to actually get offended. Most of what people are saying she has implied or "stated" even, just isn't there.
    ''I'm here to tell you that it doesn't ruin your body and you will bounce back quickly.''
    the statement.
    ''...and it shouldn't be an excuse to let yourself go.''
    the implication.

i dislike the statement for two reasons. 1, that it promises results in women who will not have her experience, and when women fail to measure up they may well feel like freaks and failures. i believe in telling people all the facts. it might go well, it might be a disaster, but i wish you luck either way. 2, that it completely ignores what can be devastating health and quality of life issues. is our measure of 'ruin' based entirely on weight? it plays into our vanity obsessed society and, as all too frequently happens, makes people with embarassing and upsetting problems feel even more like lone freaks.
    I think it's a highly individual process. It's not good to be pessimistic and let oneself go, but it doesn't help to be overly optimistic either. You have to see what happens.
    ^^says it all.
  • Beezil
    Options
    ''I'm here to tell you that it doesn't ruin your body and you will bounce back quickly.''
    the statement.
    ''...and it shouldn't be an excuse to let yourself go.''
    the implication.

i dislike the statement for two reasons. 1, that it promises results in women who will not have her experience, and when women fail to measure up they may well feel like freaks and failures. i believe in telling people all the facts. it might go well, it might be a disaster, but i wish you luck either way. 2, that it completely ignores what can be devastating health and quality of life issues. is our measure of 'ruin' based entirely on weight? it plays into our vanity obsessed society and, as all too frequently happens, makes people with embarassing and upsetting problems feel even more like lone freaks.
    ^^says it all.

You're right. Honestly, if everyone had the ability to phrase things the way you have and lay them out like that - maybe this thread wouldn't have gone so bad so fast. Based on only what the OP wrote, I guess it does sound kind of condescending and presumptuous. But, I personally tried to take from it what I thought she meant rather than the plain text. In a different frame of mind, I quite possibly could have been offended, too.
  • glovepuppet
    Options
    You're right. Honestly, if everyone had the ability to phrase things the way you have and lay them out like that - maybe this thread wouldn't have gone so bad so fast. Based on only what the OP wrote, I guess it does sound kind of condescending and presumptuous. But, I personally tried to take from it what I thought she meant rather than the plain text. In a different frame of mind, I quite possibly could have been offended, too.
    this will all be forgotten within a week.
This discussion has been closed.