So who's upped their calories to lose?

Options
14567810»

Replies

• raegan1215
    raegan1215 Posts: 89
    Options
    i upped mine from 1200 to 1775 and have lost weight and inches. i'm not starving all the time anymore and i have enough energy to take five hot power yoga classes a week which wasn't happening at 1200 calories/day.
  • upsydaisy2011
    upsydaisy2011 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread as I have a real battle in my head with calories. I have around a stone to lose and all I seem to do is lose a lb, gain a lb. I successfully lost 3 stone after having my 2nd child doing slimming world but the weight has crept on. I gained around 8lbs over the Christmas holiday and have not shifted it. Mfp set my daily goal as 1200 but often I try and eat less than this....but then I get hungry, feel like I am depriving myself and binge :( I have tried to have a cheat day a week but then this turns into a cheat weekend etc. I have a pretty unhealthy relationship with food I think.
    I try to work out 3-4 days a week, usually this will be 2-3 sessions of circuit training and at least one body pump class. I am keen to start lifting heavy but not sure where to start with this.
    This thread has inspired me to try and work out my TDEE and think about what I am eating as I have always known that eating too little is not good but my mind doesn't want to allow me to increase my calories :-/
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    So at 1700 this is 120 more per day than my current logging. So maybe I will try upping this slowly and see how I get on. Thanks for doing this. Looks like I was averaging out for the week around my Bmr which might explain the plateau. That said, hubby commented me tonight on my change in shape (that is a first!!) so the weight training is paying off!

Try it for a month at that level but stick above BMR always. There are differences on metabolism based on age, what we eat, etc. Just keep doing what you are doing. I hope the 400 calories burn it is not based on what mfp calculates. If you are using the number from the machines, put your weight as 10 calories less than your actual weight. Eat lots of fruits and eat plenty of water.
  • startheory
    startheory Posts: 63
    Options
    I upped my calories per TDEE minus 20% 2 weeks ago. I seem to be on a trend of losing a pound a week which is perfect. And I'm no longer starving. I love it :)
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    1400 if I do nothing all day...1800-2000 if I actually get a workout in. Weight seems to come off better when I'm at the higher numbers....
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Over the past 6 weeks, I have increased my calories significantly. (from 1200 to 2300-2500) . I was at the lower end of the spectrum in February when I was sitting on my *kitten* at home (but still working out 5 -6x/week) and then when I returned to work in April (a super, ridiculously active job) I had to quickly move my caloric intake up to make sure I was not losing too quickly. I am trending about 1 to 1.5 lbs loss/week over the past 6 weeks. So ya, this 44 year old woman is consuming almost 2500 calories/day and LOSING IT!
  • StephieClay
    StephieClay Posts: 28
    Options
    I upped mine from 1350 to 1500 and lost 7lbs in a month. I've plateaued now and am still eating 1500/day but I'm not gaining either. I've debated upping it again but I'm not sure if I should...
  • maryrx59
    maryrx59 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • jolene_ca
    jolene_ca Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I recently upped mine from 1209 to 1500. I figured I could slow down my losses as I'm inching toward goal. The weight has started coming off quickly like it did in the beginning. Very pleasantly surprised :) (I'm 5'7" and 151 lbs)
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    So at 1700 this is 120 more per day than my current logging. So maybe I will try upping this slowly and see how I get on. Thanks for doing this. Looks like I was averaging out for the week around my Bmr which might explain the plateau. That said, hubby commented me tonight on my change in shape (that is a first!!) so the weight training is paying off!

Try it for a month at that level but stick above BMR always. There are differences on metabolism based on age, what we eat, etc. Just keep doing what you are doing. I hope the 400 calories burn it is not based on what mfp calculates. If you are using the number from the machines, put your weight as 10 calories less than your actual weight. Eat lots of fruits and eat plenty of water.

Thanks for this! I use the machine estimates not MFP and assume they are overestimating by around 15%. I will up me cal rate and give it a go! The weight training seems to be having an effect so fingers crossed. It would be great to be able to do this at around 1700-1800 if I could.