Sick of hearing it

Options
Hope everyone had a good Mother's Day. Today was a good day for me. Family gathered around that I haven't seen in a while complimenting me on the fact that I look thinner and trimmer which is always nice to hear.

So everyone's sitting around eating desserts. You know, cake, pie, peach cobbler, ice cream, and I'm behaving and having a banana. And then it happens, the one thing that really just pisses me off, an overweight family member points a fork at me with chocolate dripping off the end and says "it's so easy for men to lose weight".

I almost let it go, I was sooooo close! Rather than telling her it was not easy for me and that I work out everyday from 30 minutes to an hour plus and that I watch and log everything that I eat. But no I had to look at her and say something like "I guess you consider exercise getting up to get seconds on desert and using that fork to shove it in your face. If you'd get off your lazy fat *kitten*, quit *****ing about it, and put forth a little effort you might lose a little weight."

After that things were a bit awkward but I am so sick of hearing it.. It's hard for anyone to lose weight. Don't belittle my success by writing it off because I'm a guy.

Stepping off my soapbox now.

Replies

• bergpa
    bergpa Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Sounds like she was jealous of your success and the compliments you were getting. While your response may have been a bit harsh, I'm guessing it was accurate. I certainly wouldn't beat yourself up about it.
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    wow. if that was me that would have been exactly what i was thinking (except im a girl), but i would have filtered it a tad- lol. i hope it ruin the day or hurt the family member too bad... but it def gave them some perspective
  • Synryo
    Synryo Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    People are always looking for 'reasons' to justify their 'inability' to lose weight, when the cold hard truth is that it's hard for everyone. It's not going to happen until you really buckle up and decide to make it a consistent priority.
    I would've been upset too. She wasn't just making excuses for herself, she was trying to take away from YOUR success. I would've been mad too.
  • orangesapphire
    Options
    That is hilarious. Good for you. What was her response, by the way?
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Wow! I probably would have been too distracted by the chocolate dripping off her fork to formulate that good of a response. Kudos to you for putting her in her place and for your awesome success!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I would have laughed my head off if I'd been there. BTW, were you wearing those shorts?
  • lazatin
    lazatin Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    WhAT DID SHE SAY?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    WHAT DID SHE SAY?

^^^This
  • Mrswheels01
    Mrswheels01 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    LOL...awesome!
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    LOL...awesome!

That was my response as well !
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options

I wonder this too, I mean I imagine she cried... Or at least got seconds on dessert...
  • GeekAmour
    GeekAmour Posts: 262
    Options
    Brilliant.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    WHAT DID SHE SAY?

^^^This
    i also want to know lol
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    guilt reaction to you eating fruit while she stuffs her face.
    she prob'ly cried when she got undressed that night.
  • CaLaurie
    CaLaurie Posts: 178
    Options
    You said what I imagine we all have wanted to say at one time or another - male or female. Good on you! And you gave me my giggle for the evening. Thanks!!!! :laugh:
  • geekgirl_2012
    geekgirl_2012 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about this topic lately... not just regarding men, though. Although, I'm confident you hear this more than me (a woman). I'm really surprised by how it is "so MUCH more difficult" for others to lose weight. Seriously??? Everyone seems to have an excuse, a story, or some lame reason for why it's so much more difficult for them to lose weight in comparison to everyone else. I find it annoying as well. But then I realize... they're just jealous! Ha!
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I wish I were as good as you at saying out loud what I'm thinking in my head!:):flowerforyou:
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    You said what I imagine we all have wanted to say at one time or another - male or female. Good on you! And you gave me my giggle for the evening. Thanks!!!! :laugh:

^^This^^
  • LittleMsEva
    LittleMsEva Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Don't let ANYONE tell you that. Ever. Sometimes It's better to let it all out rather than bottling it up, you sure did tell her. That'll teach people to make false assumptions. Way to go =)
  • kimbtaylor1
    kimbtaylor1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'm proud of you for putting it out there. As I woman I don't get the its easier but I do have a friend who struggles which is fine. But she will have conversations with me about how hard she is trying at the same time eating a Big Mac. I let it slip once that if she really wanted to loose the weight she could. That went over like a turd in a punch bowl.