WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2013

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,323 Member
    Options
    Hello, so great to read all your posts this morning. I too hate 'enforced' celebrations, Meg. I used to get real angst on bank holidays, but I'm a bit better now. My children have never been great Mother's Day people. Elder son is useless at birthdays etc; I never get a card, but I just keep plugging away, buying him presents. Maybe one day he will grow up. He' s only 36 :laugh:
    The younger has improved since he got married, but I still only get a (late) card for Mum's Day. Oh well, I must have brought them up wrong! !!!
    I can't remember if I shared this, but DDIL is pregnant and we learnt last week that it is a girl! :heart: I love my GS to bits and of course another boy would be a great joy, but I am secretly delighted to be having a granddaughter. I have a special reason for that. 35 years ago last week I had a stillborn daughter. She was full term and perfect, but the placenta separated before birth. I nearly died from loss of blood. When I heard we were having a granddaughter I had a little cry. :heart: :heart: :heart:
    Smwert - I had breast cancer 6 years ago. I am currently fitter than I have been for 40 years and clear. Long may it continue. Good luck with yours. - prognosis sounds good.
    NSV today - had my blood pressure checked this morning and it is well down. 136 over 76. Hooray! I might be able to lower my medication. Will chat with the doctor about that.
    I haven't lost any weight for 8 days so I am trying a bit of high intensity workout interspersed with my normal rate. Just speeding up to busting point on the elliptical and cycle for a short while. I'm not doing it scientifically, but it might just shock my system.
    Meg. - I just hate it when my services go wrong. As you know we've been having electricity cuts and not so long ago water was pouring out of the sink! Grrrrr! :explode: Even our internet going down, which it does regularly, sends me in to a spin. Chillax, my children used to say.:bigsmile:
    Didn't get my plants in yesterday as it decided to rain almost all day, but I did jog to the postbox and back. Couldn't do that 25 years ago!
    My DH' s team won, so he came back very happy. We will miss the Wembley final as we will be on holiday in Cornwall. Maybe you will see them in the Premiership next year!
    Love to all of you :flowerforyou:
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Meg:smile: I had a water leak in my basement several years ago:sad: , it was not fun:angry: ! Enjoy that wine:bigsmile: !

JaneH:smile: What a wonderful daughter you are:flowerforyou: ! I`m sorry hubby is not supportive of you:sad: ! Rant away, we`re here to listen and support!

Teri:smile: What a handsome cutie your grandson is:love: ! Enjoy your time with him, they grow so fast!!!!

Grandmallie:smile: Congrats on the smaller pants, it feels great doesn`t it?

Drkatiebug:smile: I`ve never been to Zaxby`s, thanks to your insightful post, I will now avoid it at all costs:laugh: !

Cityjane:smile: Congrats on the new of a granddaughter on the way:love: !!!! What a sweet little blessing for you!!!

Welcome to everyone new:flowerforyou: , come in often and chat with us!!! This is a great group of supportive women!!!

Wish I could comment on more, but I`m out of time:sad: ! I have read all the posts and I`m thinking of you all!!!

Have a wonderful day! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in sunny NC
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    just a quick morning check in...

Michele - one year my DH was on a business trip and told a travel companion that he had arranged 2 dump trucks of manure for me as a special surprise for Mother's Day. They were appalled and I was thrilled. (I was much more into the gardening than I am now.) Actually, I think it is the design part that I am particularly drawn to, not so much the maintenance.

Our dog got in a heap of trouble for digging up some of our buried (in rocks!!) drainage (perfed) pipe on Saturday. Apparently some lizard or other critter just had to be chased. Spent part of yesterday doing that repair.

DH worked so I had a quiet day. Walked in the morning and evening, made a smoothie at lunch with an apple, pineapple juice, a bit of leftover cut fruit, yogurt and 2c turnip greens. Surprisingly good - I drank the whole blender full! I made shrimp and steak with italian green beans and cottage cheese for dinner. To my delight I was down over a pound this morning -- we'll see if it lasts.

One of my brothers called, I had a text message from one DS (tho we had had lunch the day before) and a call from the other. (The call was probably at the urging of the other one - LOL.) Alas.... I refuse to let Hallmark Holidays affect my happiness! And I choose happiness.

Wearing one of the dresses I got before the wedding to work today -- I'm feeling sassy for sure with the red peep-toe pumps, too!

Peachstategal - are you still in the Roswell area? If so we are not far apart at all --

I hope everyone has a great day.

Gail, Metro Atlanta
  • m3x43
    m3x43 Posts: 40
    Options
    Good morning ladies!
    Thank you for the welcome messages. I am located in sunny (for now) NE Ohio although we also had a few snow flurries yesterday. You just never know what the weather will be when you live here!

I celebrate with the moms who had a happy mother's day and ache for those who did not. My teenage/young adult children are still home/live close by so they all acknowledged the day in some way. My hopes are that they will continue as they age and move on/away with their lives. That's all we can really do, isn't it?

My mother lives in PA so I could only chat with her on the phone and did! We visited my MIL, which I did gladly. She has been a great MIL, always very careful not to criticize or interfere. She has been a great example for me.

My plans today are to eat clean and move! The "move" part is the most challenging for me but, with your encouragement, I will do it!

Have a blessed day!
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    m3x43 - great cartoon!
  • m3x43
    m3x43 Posts: 40
    Options
    If only M&M's really WERE diet pills!
  • smwert
    smwert Posts: 300
    Options
    Thanks for the support. I have been told that this is my chance to change my life and get healthier than I have ever been. Going to put on my winter coat - cold here - and get my morning walk in.

How great to wear smaller a scrub pants!!!! Good for you.

I also,hope to be 6 years post cancer and healthy!!! You are all so inspirational

Susan:smile:
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

Barbie thanks for the new thread. :drinker:

This is a great thread for meeting new friends to help us all. Love ya DeeDee :flowerforyou:

Goal for May is log in EVERYDAY and RECORD so important.

Exercise is to walk/jog 25 mi a week, Use body for strength training 3x a week.
    Stop eating after 830 pm NO Exception net even WINE :sad:
    Drink more water
    Add a few new friends here who are serious and have an open diary :wink: we all need this to see how successful people are losing and getting it done. I wish we had open diaries too.
    I will lose all the weight gain from NOT recording and being consistent. Plus hit my 170's THIS is HUGE but I am going for it.

Love you all, Need new friends that will stay around no hit and drops please.:noway:
    Add me

God Bless Have a Successful Month :smile:
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    JaneH – {{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}} So sorry that you've got so much on your plate and not enough support from your DB or DH. You are a loving, caring and supportive daughter - take pride in that! And I've got to tell you, I'm always quite grateful if I get the "silent treatment" as it gives me some peace and quiet for awhile :wink:

YannieJannie – Rant away, what are friends for? Sorry you’ve had to deal with a lack of acknowledgement from your loved ones. Take pride in the fact that you at least have grace and good manners.

LyndaS – Wrap it in plastic and “float” your arm on a blow-up? Glad to hear the pain is manageable for you.

PeachStateGal – Ah yes, to be the one assigned to serve the parents. For years my brother lived one mile away from my mother while I lived 900 miles away, yet I was the one who got all the calls for assistance.

TexasGal – Kashton is adorable, know you’ll be looking forward to Thursdays from here on out

Smwert – Welcome to this group of wise, witty and supportive women. Prayers to you for rapid and complete healing.

Katla – Good for you for training DH so well, and awesome too that you are enjoying and appreciating the self you are becoming

Meg – Wine therapy in dealing with flooded basements: I definitely approve! :drinker: :drinker: (My basement floods 2-3 times a year so I can very much relate)

DrKatieBug – Your housecleaning and messaging approach is spot on

Laura80111 – What a terrific Mother’s Day weekend for you, sons 2 & 3 both providing such pride-inducing awesomeness

Dovergopp – Sorry to hear about your mom and the stress you’re dealing with there

Auntiebk – Excellent food decisions – protein IS good (and so is only 15 calories over)

Beachlover010 – Welcome, glad you found this wise and witty group of women! Return to read/post often (be aware that threads “lock” at 500 posts and we’re almost there, so look for the link to the new thread at the last (500th) post.

CityJane – Great to hear your blood pressure numbers are so excellent!

Gail – You go girl, rockin’ some red peep-toe pumps :glasses:

Grandmallie – Awesome NSV re: the smaller scrubs

Patsy – Terrific goals, great to have you here!!!!!

Brooke from Colorado

“Your presence is a unique gift to the world.”
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,323 Member
    Options
    Hi again, just would like to come back in today and say to those of you who have asked me to friend them. - I don't feel that the friend route is the way to go for me just now. I think I would feel the responsibility too much as I take these things seriously if I make a commitment. I hope those of you who have asked, and I take it as a compliment, will not take it personally if I do not respond. Maybe in the future I will change my mind! Who knows? :heart:
    Went to the garden centre and bought DSIL' s 60th birthday present. She wanted a bird feeder like ours so we got one with all the attachments and the food. Our goldfinches are the best fed in Hampshire and get through loads of nygra seed. We have to have bulk delivery of seeds and nuts. It was one of the great joys of moving down here to the countryside to discover 29 different varieties of birds in our garden! It is constant entertainment, including watching the male blackbirds squabbling and scrapping on our patio. I had been a city girl all my life so it was quite a revelation to me how well I took to country life. I just adore my veggie garden and wish I had more land.
    Love to all :flowerforyou:
  • bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Good Monday Morning May flowers!

Hope you all had a good Mother/mothering day for yourselves or your parent, or your pets! I count my dog as my biggest kid ever! My son is harder intellectual work, but the dog always wants to be petted! He busts through my office door if it is not tight every hour or so.....

Welcome to the newest pals, will look forward to reading about your progress and good ideas!
    For those in physical or emotional pain, I am sending the power of the universe to your heart to help heal you!

I had a quiet Mother's Day, which will soon be renamed grandmother's day in our house! My DD2 is just about to have her first, could happen this week, and the shower for her is next weekend( she did not want a shower until she knew she would deliver) . She has made it through the pregnancy with flying colours, healthy, etc, and b/c she was diagnosed with very early MS, pregnancy has been a problem for her! Almost there....

Meanwhile DD3 is 4 months pregnant, also of a serious age when things go wrong,,,and there are some strange issues with her pregnancy, which I can only hope is as simple as a gallbladder problem..we shall see.

DD1 is done and dusted with the two boys.....

That leaves DS the only one left...but he is 20 years younger than DD1 and about to start grad school....so got some time there!

I am finding that I am struggling with all the social events ...I used to try to get them all in one day so I could have a higher count day which works for cal cycling...but last week it felt as if it was something every day..... lunches, social evenings, movie nights, first year room-mate reunion, and then Mother's day! please, no more food! I am so aware that there are very few other ways to socialize without food or drink!

I have lots of stress, working on a degree I had to put off for two terms due to parent care issues...and all this baby stuff, and graduate stuff, and social stuff too! Just need to get my head into Milton and Keats, and get this first one out of the way!

Thanks for listening to my ranting too.....

Here is a big thanks to all the vitamin F's who are on this thread! We all have life first, food second....and putting it into perspective all helps with your daily insights.....so if I do not reply to everyone, I am thankful for your sharing!

Have a marvellous Monday!

BJ
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy mon.Had a great week-end with family.
    Have a good one!
    HUGS
    jane
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Today is a new day!!!.......... and I'd like to take a second to thank those who responded so kindly and with massive empathy to my obvious pain and heartbreak of yesterday both on this forum and in messages. It is surprising how many just lurk and read; to those: please consider joining us when you are ready. I guess a new goal for me is in order........to grow some tougher skin. My daughter has been a joy in all ways but this emotional distance is hurtful. However, I do realize that, to some extent, it has to do with the growing up process and nothing more. She's a Dean's List student (a junior) at a very small (under 1000 student) private college on almost a full ride (both academic and need-based), holds two jobs on campus and three when she's home, doing a double major (English and biology) with a minor in chemistry. This summer she snagged a really plum position at a major university in our state as a research assistant....a paid position, no less....which is very rare. She's athletic; runs half marathons, volunteers when she can, and can play a mean violin and flute. I really am proud of her; when she's not frustrating the he!! out of me.

Brooke.........terribly sorry about the job.....on the lighter side , did you snag a glimpse of Harry????

JaneH.....you are being such a good daughter, as for me sometimes silence is preferable from dh

Others with parent concerns, we (as women) seem to always have the burden on us.........I was an "only" and my mom lived four years (and died, for that matter) here in my home when my dd was in 6th grade. They call us the "sandwich" generation
    well, at times, it felt more like a vise if I'm being honest. My neighbor is with her daughter being brought back and forth from 3 states away to her home for "visits", despite the fact that her son and his large family are right here.

Meg........hope your flood is all cleaned up

city jane......how nice that you write; one of my all time fav. authors was **** Francis, one of your countrymen

Have good days, everyone,
    yanniejannie

Good God.............can't believe what they did to poor Richard's name; I suppose his proper name was Richard!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbie: Thanks for helping me understand the “cleanse day” in your schedule. What a nice thing for you to do in place of the commonplace eating binge day.:flowerforyou:

Meg: I hope you have solved your flood problem. Putting someone else in charge of a disaster now and then is such a good idea. :bigsmile: I hope all is back to normal soon.:flowerforyou:

CityJane: Congratulations on the anticipated granddaughter. Sending good thoughts for a trouble free pregnancy and delivery.:heart::flowerforyou:

DH is not feeling well this morning due to high blood sugar, so it looks like a quiet morning is the order of the day. His birthday is in two days, and I’m in need of a good gift and celebration plan. Advice welcome!

Katla in cool and overcast NW Oregon
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,875 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday everyone. It sounds like a good day for new starts and getting back on track. I had a really good Mother's day. I sang with the choir at church then we went to the playhouse to see the Wizard of Oz. They did a great job and then out to dinner afterwards. I was over on my calories for the day but it was just one day. I weigh in with my health coach tomorrow. I have not lost anything but haven't gained either at least according to my scale at home so I hope that will go well.

Linda S. I am with you just now, one armed that is although my problem is in my shoulder. It is amazing how many things you just start to do and then realize you can't. As for the pool I work managing therapy pools at a hospital. We put knee replacement and total hip replacement patients in the water one day postop using gauze to cover the stitches and then covering that with an occlusive bandage called Tegaderm. You can get it at Walmart although depending on size needed they may have to order it for you. We sometimes leave braces on in the water if people have a dry one to put on afterward. If you do not have a second one ask your PT about going without for a short time as the water does give support, just take it easy at first as the water can offer more resistance than you realize. Good luck with your recovery.

Sending healing angels to all who need them and kudos to all doing well on this journey. Sue in SD
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Good morning to all of you lovely ladies and a Happy Belated Mother’s Day,:flowerforyou:

I have been so busy that I haven’t had time to catch up with all of the posts, but I’m trying! I had off on Friday and it was a beautiful day, so I cleaned all of my windows and washed and changed all of my curtains. My mother used to do this four times a year (each season). I only do it two times (spring and fall), and it is a job I’ll tell ya! DH helped this time which made it go faster. He took out and scrubbed all of the screens and helped me with hanging some of the curtains. My arms are still a little sore, but hey, no pain no gain, right? And my windows and sliding doors are sparkling clean! Saturday we volunteered at our church to help construct booths for our Carnival. We were pretty much there all day.

My son used to come over every Mother’s Day and prepare me a feast, but since he moved North and I moved South, I don’t see him on Mother’s Day anymore. My daughter moved out near him in April, so I didn’t see either one of them this year. They both called and sent beautiful flowers. So we had Mother’s Day for my wonderful MIL and my SIL and her family. My best girlfriend came over after having brunch with her son. We had twelve in all. DH and I tried all new recipes. We made a sirloin roast, rosemary smashed potatoes (a big hit!) green beans with almonds, spinach salad, and avocado & hearts of palm salad (one of my favs). I told DH that the time the recipe called for to cook the roast was not enough, but he insisted that we follow the recipe, so, of course, the roast came out “mooing”, even after leaving it in an extra hour. After a little microwaving, it was fine and ended up being really tender and delicious! I’m not big on red meat, but this was especially good. I never bothered to log because we had so many delicious appetizers and desserts, and it was, after all, Mother’s Day, so I just enjoyed myself. Also had two frozen strawberry dacaris made with Skinny Girl mixers. They were good, but really sweet! Anyway, it was a lot of fun and we enjoyed being with family and friends. Today it’s back on track! I’ve decided not to worry so much about staying within calories every single day of my life, and I’m not going to beat myself up for enjoying an occasional treat day as long as I can eat right on a regular basis. The scale was up about a pound and a half this morning, but I have been drinking my water and have already been to the bathroom several times today, so I expect that weight was water and will be gone by tomorrow or the next day at worst.

I have a gardening question…..we planted veggies and something (rabbit…squirrel??) ate the leaves off of our eggplants. Will they still produce or are they gone for good? We bought four plants and only planted two because last year they got pretty big, so I’m not sure what to do here. Should we take out the ones that we planted and try planting two more, or will this just happen again? We did not have this problem last year, so I'm stumped. If anyone has experience they can share, I’d appreciate it. How weird that only the eggplant was touched. Everything else is intact.

When I catch up (a little at a time), I’ll try to make some replies.

Congrats to everyone who are working so hard and having success and healing thoughts to all who are hurt or sick.

Hugs,
    Lucy in DE.:bigsmile:
  • bipsqueen
    bipsqueen Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi there!! I just want to stay at the weight I'm currently at. I want to run 10 miles a week this month. And the biggie for me is to drink 64 ounces of water a day!! So happy to have found this group!! Happy May everyone!
  • janehadji
    janehadji Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of the support, it helps so much! I have a much better attitude today, thanks in no small part to all of you.

Hubby is speaking again, after all. Mother’s Day was nice, too. My mother said she wanted ice cream, so I took her for a banana split, which she really enjoyed. My son came and took me to sushi for dinner (I felt guilty letting him spend the money, but it was really nice), and I got to talk to my daughter on Facetime and see her beautiful face. She and her new husband are off to Mexico today for their delayed honeymoon. He just finished his first year of law school.

The cleaning ladies just arrived unscheduled! I'm sending them home, as I'm leaving for the VA now. Their manager really needs to get his act together.

Peachstategal – I’m sorry to hear that your mother is experiencing the same problems as mine. I had my parents move here from Montana a bit over a year ago, so that I could help. My brother is in Hawaii, which is way too far to be of much assistance. It’s hard to watch the aging process and feel helpless to know what to do. My father’s mind is clear, but his body is shot. My mother is incredibly healthy, but her mind is going. I’m sure your mother appreciates what you are able to do!

Linda – I’m glad that your recovery is coming along so well! You could try putting your hand behind your head in an “ooh la la!” pose at the pool. LOL This would support your arm, keep it dry and call attention to your good looks!

Teral – Thank you for the kind words & hug. Kashton is a cutie!

Smwert – Sending good wishes for a quick and complete recovery!

Katia – I’m sorry for the loss of your parents, and I appreciate your support. Isn’t it interesting, finally discovering who we are?

Meg – I love your attitude towards the flood (wine always helps!), but hope that the damage isn’t too severe.

Dovergopp – How awful that your MIL keeps falling. So glad she hasn’t broken anything!

CityJane – Glad to hear that your blood pressure is better. Congratulations on your forthcoming granddaughter, and I’m so sorry for the loss of your own daughter. I’m sure it’s a hurt that will never go away.

Jane in Colorado
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Great Jane, now you have me wanting a banana split!!! :laugh:

Katla - we need more information for a celebration plan - what are his interests, how old will he be?

Sundance, oh I mean Linda - I am now going to have an identity crises. I get confused when folks change their profile pictures and you've changed you name. My over 50 brain just can't stay caught up.

Dover - sure glad no bones were broken

Kathyszoo - hope you had a great mother's day - we'll be meeting soon now that I know you're a forest preserve away :smile:

Well I did what I love most for Mother's day - I rode. In fact, I rode twice, the first time on my regular boy and the second on my little dirty white girl. Each ride was fun. At the end of the first after loading my horse and driving away, I realized that my fitbit was no longer attached to my hip. :noway: I've been putting it in my pocket during rides, but I had forgotten. So I turned around and went back. Just when I was about to park in the spot I left, I saw a black dot in the parking lot. Just in case it was my fitbit I stopped immediately and decided to walk the lot. Sure enough it was my fitbit!!!!:happy: 3 feet further and I would have rolled over it. And evidently it had experienced some trauma as the little pocket it sits in was mutilated. I'm thinking it fell off as I slid off of my horse and he or I stepped on it. It's still working and usable so I'm happy. I don't think fitbit would take another contact with me. They have already replaced one, and sold me a second at half price and I haven't made it a year yet.

Anyway, as usual, here are pictures from my ride yesterday. That's my daughter in the second picture (dressed in her clean the barn clothes). She braided her horse's mane. That was cute.

MothersDay2013_n_zps13dee50f.jpg

MothersDay20132_n_zps5f02fad5.jpg
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Today hasn't gone the way I have wanted it to at all. My sister has many orthopedic problems and it causes a lot of balance issues. She also is my Mom all over. So many spinal issues, she has gone from 5'8 to 5'4. Her latest injury has put her out of commission for about 6 weeks after she fell and bruised up her rotator cuff real bad. So I took her to the doctor this morning. 10 AM isn't in either one of our vocabularies!!!!:yawn: so that I didn't like. Then we went out to the cemetary to visit our parents graves, the pharmacy to get some medicine for her and took her home. Then I went home, first thing I did was turn the computer on so it would be up and running while I fixed myself some lunch. Well Windows picked this morning to do a lot of updates:grumble: So i didn't have time to get on Face book and do one of my games that you can only do every 6 hours. I knew I had to go to the Y. So I went there and then came back and did my game. So that will put my next game around 9 PM. :grumble: So my whole day is off!!!!!