bump & ty
  • Jennical
    Jennical Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    Simplest explanation: Calculate your TDEE then subtract 500 calories a day for 1lb loss per week, 1000 per day for 2lbs loss.

IE: TDEE is 3000 calories so you consume 2500 to lose a pound a week.

You shouldn't really go for 2lbs loss unless you're 200lbs and over.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Jen_ht
    Jen_ht Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Bump - brilliant post thanks so much for the simple explanation! I've been struggling in the 162lb mark for weeks now hopefully this might help.
  • samjones6734
    samjones6734 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Bump! Thanks so much for posting this :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    A terrific read! I have been gaining understanding over a number of weeks about TDEE etc but its hard to push myself to make the transition to eat more - for me I eat most of my exercise cals back so I probably average around 1400 cals but my TDEE is around 1800! so I could increase to that but am scared!...maybe its time for me to take the plunge :-D
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    A terrific read! I have been gaining understanding over a number of weeks about TDEE etc but its hard to push myself to make the transition to eat more - for me I eat most of my exercise cals back so I probably average around 1400 cals but my TDEE is around 1800! so I could increase to that but am scared!...maybe its time for me to take the plunge :-D

You have a similar TDEE to me! What you might find is that with a lower TDEE it's a very easy transition as the calories don't change much. If you're aiming for TDEE - 20% (it depends on how much you've got to lose - you might want to take a smaller cut), you'd be eating 1440 calories, so not really much different from your average calories now (as you wouldn't be eating exercise calories). I just find it easier having the same calories from day to day.
  • Quietborderline
    Quietborderline Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU FOR THIS!!

You are so wonderful. I have only been on here a week but started to realize I was not doing it properly, so began to look into the subject only to become more confused. This is a very clear and concise rundown of everything I needed to know! Your time and effort in writing/posting this is very much appreciated. =)
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    something like this should be pinned to the top of the forums so people can read it for reference.
  • itsCheek
    itsCheek Posts: 104
    Options
    what you do then is take your particular TDEE # (2116) from the chart and less out a %

the general rule of thumb is, if you want to lose:

5-10 pounds, less out 10%
    10-20 pounds, less out 15%
    20 or more pounds, less out 20%

anything higher in % is really for people who have undergone gastric surgeries and going higher could potentially put your body back in that "nutrient deficient" mode so 20% is about what most use as a healthy guide

now, 2116 x 20% would give me 423 - I deduct that 423 from 2116 and get:

that 1693 is now my calories per day to eat that will not only maintain my BMR (which I know is 1529) but will also allow me to eat UNDER the 2116 TDEE for my weight right now - that concept is what they call "eat more to weigh less" and it goes contrary to what we all learned as far as losing weight - I am still learning to accept this as fact and EAT more.

So, now that has me eating 20% under 2116 to lose (1693) but ABOVE my BMR so that my body learns I am not starving it, that it should not "hoard" the calories and keep the fat and eventually the body will release the fat.

Many people looking to lose weight fall into this trap where they have eaten so little for so long that the body has to re-learn and reset the metabolism - in fact, some believe a true "reset" would be to eat at the TDEE # (2116) for 6 weeks or so and only THEN drop off a %.

Thank you for taking the time to explain this! The part I quoted made the most sense. I have been eating WAY below my caloric needs!!!
    I'm 5'8"
    CW 162
    GW 135

I have been eating 1200-1400 calories a day plant-based GF diet (mostly juicing) and exercising 300-700 calories a day. I lost quite a bit at first, but have hit a plateau despite feeling like I'm barely eating anything (I'm not hungry though, I just never feel "full").

My TDEE is 2385, so if I want to lose 20+ pounds I need to subtract 20%, which is 477, so I should be eating around 1908 calories a day! I bet my body is in starvation mode right now. I'll have to start slowly increasing my calories so I don't pack it all back on.

Thanks for the eye-opener! I appreciate the time you took to explain immensely!
  • ryans5050
    ryans5050 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Awesome info. Thank you so much for this
  • ladwell
    ladwell Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Don't wait, do it now. What do you have to lose but more weight. It is scary, but go for it! You can do it.
  • SkinnyForMinnie
    SkinnyForMinnie Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Great info, thanks! And thanks for spelling "lose" correctly consistently! :laugh:
  • frugalafterfifty
    frugalafterfifty Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    bump
  • erickita89
    erickita89 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • suchastruggle
    suchastruggle Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    bump Thanks for the info!
  • HealthyLeeLee
    HealthyLeeLee Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for breaking the concept down so concisely!! I really appreciate it :)
  • vyanadevi
    vyanadevi Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Bump