INSANE in the MEMBRANE!! (INSANITY GROUP)

Options
Who's Up for the Challenge!

Who wants to take on the insanity challenge in the month of May! Not only will we be committing ourselves to bringing up the intensity, but we will be committing ourselves to the nutrition, to the discipline of getting enough sleep at night, and to hit the workout about the same time each day (if able to).

This group aims to help those starting on May 20th (or before/after this date) and welcomes insanity goers that are newbies or graduates!

First things first:

Nutrition
If you want to see great results, you have to focus on your nutrition as much as the workouts. Nutrition plays a key role in how you will reach your goals and attain the new and better you! Getting a solid nutrition plan in place prior to starting is key. Over time you will learn new eating habits that you can carry with you for the rest of your life.

Shakeology is a great way to meet many of your nutritional needs! As a meal or a snack it fuels your body with everything it needs in order to BRING IT everyday! (I am not pushing the sale of this, but rather inform you what I use to get my body going). You may have something else in place.

Track your progress
Where are you now? Where do you want to be? Have Goals!

Nothing is more important or motivating than to see where you started and how you are progressing along the way! It is so CRUCIAL that you do the following BEFORE you begin:

Take your Measurements
Take your before & after pictures

Motivation
Nothing is more important than motivation. Times will get tough and there are going to be days that you feel like you cannot get up or you feel too tired at night to workout. This is where myself and this thread will help you out. By joining this thread you will find like minded people that will push you and look for help from you to be pushed. This is a 60 day program and it helps to have a whole team ready to cheer you on and waiting for you to cheer them on.

Workouts
WARNING: The first few weeks are rough, but after you make it through them things get much better.

Too many people give up during the first few weeks because they think it is to tough. Anyone who has done any of these programs has had moments of doubt. Just KEEP PUSHING PLAY & DIP DEEP!

Pre-Workout
All the workouts are intense! You need the right fuel to “Bring It!” Your pre-workout meal actually begins the day before. So again, a solid nutrition plan is vital. A pre-workout meal about an hour before is important. Be warned: if you ENGAGE in a cardio workout too close to the pre-workout meal you may lose it.

If you workout first thing in the morning I advise a small snack (ex, wheat toast with peanut butter).

Post-Workout
Recovery: After an intense insanity workout, it is vital to recover the right way. By adding a Recovery Drink immediately after your workout, you will significantly decrease the amount of soreness you will experience while your body recovers. Intense exercise will burn off glycogen stores in the muscles which leaves the body without its primary source of energy. You need to replace these glycogen stores immediately with a 4:1 ratio of quality, fast acting carbs and quality protein. Plus low blood sugar levels in the brain will lead to fatigue, irritability, lack of concentration, depression, etc.

I highly recommend a Recovery Drink which will replenish your muscles with glycogen, you will not only avoid muscle breakdown, but you will promote muscle growth and keep your energy levels up. I have used the P90X recovery drink and I highly recommend it if you don't drink one now.

This thread is a great way to meet like minded, motivated people that are going through exactly what you are going through. They will help you stay accountable and motivated, and you will keep them accountable and motivated! Everyone comes from different backgrounds and will be able to share tips and information that has helped them and could help you as well.

I will also be making a challenge group on facebook if I get 5+ people to commit on this thread!

IF YOU WANT JOIN--

--Respond back to this thread with YES, I AM COMMITTED!!!! --

Replies

• obrien821
    obrien821 Posts: 215
    Options
    Things to start with -

-Make sure your profile is filled out/up to date. Insert your goals, whether it be waist measurements, # of push ups, etc.

-It is really important for you to take before and after pictures. Insanity isn't here to make you drop lbs necessarily - but rather, inches. Muscle is more dense than fat. So you will put on muscle, lose fat, but potentially gain weight. This is NOT a bad thing! We are in this for the long run - too many times have we all tried to limit ourselves, create our own deficit by eating less. You lose the weight, but when you go back to eating normal or you hit a plateau, what happens? That model will not be successful long term. Get strong - build muscle, and more importantly, build your mental strength. This is a mental battle that I am committed to helping you win. Even if you don't post your pictures online, keep them for yourself. Look at them now and then. I'd suggest taking pictures every 2 weeks.

-Get excited about it!!! Spend some times on the forums looking at other challenge groups - search for topics that you are interested in. See the difference in the language between the groups that have just started and those that are doing insanity multiple times. Google topics that you have interest in - topics such as, why is protein essential? Why should I eat fruit earlier in the day? Does drinking water really help you lose weight? What tea will give me the most energy? Share your knowledge here, and we can all grow.

-Motivational photos - google, tumblr, pinterest, instagram motivational fitness photos - fitspo, fitspiration, healthy, strong. Find a few that motivate you - save them to your desktop. Make them your desktop, your phone back ground, your ipad lock screen. Print them out, tape them up where you work out. Figure out where you look at when you work out, and place a motivational picture there.

I am currently on Day 3 of Insanity - I completed P90X & ChaLean Extreme and decided to give Insanity a shot again. I did not succeed in my first attempt at Insanity the beginning of this year - But I learned a lot from my first attempt.

I look forward to working along side you in the future.
    If you don't have one yet, make sure you acquire a measuring tape.

You will need to take your measurements before the fit test -

I suggest using your scale once, and then throwing it away! Haha, but really. Scales are evil...

Your weight will fluctuate in this program. I did the entire program, and most of the time my weight went up or stayed the same. Why?

Well at first, you body is getting used to this new insanity. It's breaking down and rebuilding rapidly, and this causes your muscles to hold water near them. So, you might gain a few pounds because of this water weight.

Then why might your weight go up?

Well, you are building muscle. Muscle is more dense than fat - this means that there is more muscle per square cm on your body than fat. 5 lbs of fat will take up more space than 5 lbs of muscle. So, your weight might go up, but your inches/measurements will go down.

I also suggest greatly increasing your water intake if you aren't a water drinker. Ideally, you should aim to drink 1/2 of your body weight in fl oz of water a daily. So, if someone weighs 160 lbs, they need to drink 80 fl oz of water. * I know this sounds crazy, right? But can be achieved *

This helps to give you energy, helps your muscles repair/rebuild, and flushes out the toxins and lactic acid in your body .
  • shakedown576
    shakedown576 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I took the fitness test today. I'm excited about starting this tomorrow.
  • obrien821
    Options
    I took the fitness test today. I'm excited about starting this tomorrow.

You won't regret it showdown576. What did you think of the fit test? Did you do better or worse than you thought you'd do?
  • tra428
    tra428 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'd love to do this but I'm pretty intimidated, I'm nowhere near the shape I used to be in. What sort of fitness level do you recommend before starting?
  • obrien821
    Options
    I'd love to do this but I'm pretty intimidated, I'm nowhere near the shape I used to be in. What sort of fitness level do you recommend before starting?

Hi tra428! I wouldn't say it's a beginner program, however, with that being said there are many people who are way out of shape that get through it and reach their goals. You don't have to move like robots as they do on the video, but rather do what you can that pushes you to your limit. So, it's really up to you if you are ready for the challenge!! This group is here for all the support and motivation you need. Plus, I will also have a facebook support group for this group as well for those who are interested and use fb more often. So, if you're up for it let me know!! Hope to see you back!
  • shakedown576
    shakedown576 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I did better than the guy and girl on the first exercise, okay on a few and then really slow on others. The test definitely got my heart pounding so I can just imagine what the real deal will be like. I see some people log their insanity exercise as "general circuit training" I wish their were an insanity selection.
  • hope002
    hope002 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I did the fit test yesterday.
  • tra428
    tra428 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Alright then, here it goes....YES I AM COMMITTED. I have updated measurements and goals on my profile, should I post those along with before pictures here? I'll aim for the May 20 start date because I want to review the nutrition guide and prep my kitchen.
  • obrien821
    Options
    I did better than the guy and girl on the first exercise, okay on a few and then really slow on others. The test definitely got my heart pounding so I can just imagine what the real deal will be like. I see some people log their insanity exercise as "general circuit training" I wish their were an insanity selection.

Hey, shakedown576. I'm glad that you did so well! The fit test was defnitely a workout of it's own. I kept up on some moves better than others as well, but can't say I did better than them. :) Let me know how you like plyo cardio for Day 1. And if you want, feel free to share your test scores with everyone here! We're all here to cheer one another on!
  • obrien821
    Options

hope002, how did you do? Are you new to Insanity or have you done it before?
  • obrien821
    Options
    Alright then, here it goes....YES I AM COMMITTED. I have updated measurements and goals on my profile, should I post those along with before pictures here? I'll aim for the May 20 start date because I want to review the nutrition guide and prep my kitchen.

tra428 - I'm so glad you'll be joining us! And yes, follow the meal plan if at all possible. Eating proper during this program is key to getting the results you want. Drink lots of water! And a recovery drink would be great for this program, as well. If you don't have one in mind I can direct you to one that I use. That would be great if you posted your info on this board. No one is alone here and we all have the same goal - to get fit!! I urge others to do the same on this board.
  • obrien821
    Options
    For those that are interested, you can plug in your info on teambeachbody.com (since INSANITY is a BB product) and find out how many calories you should be eating a day on the INSANITY program. MFP doesn't have an INSANITY plug in for something like this and you should understand how many calories you are able to take in with such a vigorous workout. MFP has me at 1200 calories/day, but on the BB site (free account) it tells me I should be consuming 1700. That's a big difference. Like I said above, the account is free (you do not need to be a club member to see your caloric intake for INSANITY).

Just go to teambeachbody.com and in the upper right hand corner click on the tab that says "Not a member". Click on sign me up for FREE membership. Fill out the info, create your screen name, and where it says coach referral - in the drop down box select user name, then type in obrien821. Then you will have created your free bb acct. On the upper left side under your user name it says "my dashboard" click on "home" and there should be a place that says "My personalized Meal Plan". You should be able to plug in what workout program your doing plus daily activities and will give you how many calories you should consume per day.

AGAIN, THIS IS JUST IN CASE YOU ARE WANTING TO UNDERSTAND HOW MANY CALORIES YOU SHOULD BE EATING ON THIS PROGRAM AND IS TOTALLY UP TO YOU IF YOU WANT TO DO IT. * I just feel this gives me a better understanding of what I need to consume when doing a vigorous program as INSANITY.*
  • empress1908
    Options
    Hi there! I am on Day 3 of Insanity, and this is my THIRD time starting over the program. I could never make it passed the first week, but this time is a CHARM! I plan to stay dedicated and focused. I am mostly on Fbook, so it would be great to have that info as well. Thanks and look forward the challenge with you guys!
  • hope002
    Options

hope002, how did you do? Are you new to Insanity or have you done it before?
    I did good.. I think. The only one I was really bad at is push-up jacks (name?) I am bad at push-ups in general. Usually I do knee push-ups
    This is the first time doing Insanity
  • obrien821
    Options
    Hi there! I am on Day 3 of Insanity, and this is my THIRD time starting over the program. I could never make it passed the first week, but this time is a CHARM! I plan to stay dedicated and focused. I am mostly on Fbook, so it would be great to have that info as well. Thanks and look forward the challenge with you guys!

Glad to have you aboard!!! And you're right; 3rd times a charm! :) Like I said up above, you will want to stop and cave in, but KEEP GOING!! You will be so happy with the end results! The fb group is located at https://www.facebook.com/groups/359982110752124/. Ask to join the group and I'll add you! Welcome to the INSANITY crazy train.
  • obrien821
    Options
    [/quote]
    I did good.. I think. The only one I was really bad at is push-up jacks (name?) I am bad at push-ups in general. Usually I do knee push-ups
    This is the first time doing Insanity
    [/quote]

I'm glad to hear that! The test is no joke, right?
    And I'm right there with you when it comes to push-ups. One of the things Chalene Johnson always says is, "If you don't like push-ups it's because you don't do them!" And she is sooooo right. I start out on my toes and usually end up on my knees. Don't worry about it though.... you'll eventually get enough stamina to do it all on your toes, but we have to build to that level. Have you done Plyo Max Cardio yet today? Keep us posted how you liked it.
  • obrien821
    Options
    Hey ya'll. If you are interested in the facebook INSANITY group, the link is; https://www.facebook.com/groups/359982110752124/

Just go to that site and ask to join the group and I'll add you in there! That simple!!
  • hope002
    Options
    I found this formula in another Insanity thred. Accourding to it I need to consume 2023 calories making it through Insanity with some breaks/modifications and 2268 calories if I'm killing it. That's a lot of calories......

The Insanity formula for Females is as follows:

655 + (4.35 x weight) + (4.7 x height (inches)) - (4.7 x age) = Base Calories

Multiply that by either 1.55 (making it through Insanity with some breaks/modifications) or 1.7 (killing it).

Then take ~500 off that number to target 1 lb per week weight loss.
  • oostkoot
    oostkoot Posts: 3
    Options
    I am currently on day 3 of week 2! It is INSANE, but I love it! I lost 8 pounds the first week!
  • shred_me_up
    shred_me_up Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    i randomly tried plyo max cardio and i loved it :D the only ones i couldnt do were the switch kicks when youre on your back if that makes sense. also took a couple breaks but overall was proud of myself seeing as i had never done anything insanity related before.