Cannot eat past 1,000cals

Options

Replies

• Felecia1923
    Felecia1923 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If you figure out what you are going to eat the day before it makes it easier. Also if you figure out a schedule for eating your food during the day it will help you get all of your meals. This systems helps you eat the amount of calories you need or makes sure you don't go over. You should be eating more calories. hope this helps...
  • LittleMsEva
    LittleMsEva Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I read what you said about not eating pork, I don't eat pork either....but maybe try something like nuts ,almonds ,etc...they are easy to eat and add on the calories you need...I know it's hard and scary to think about eating even more, when you don't feel hungry, but I promise you that if you continue , your body will rebel sooner or later...so maybe try to slowly increase calories so you don't have to go through what I went through...

Thanks so much, i ate almonds today, defs added up ! =)
  • LittleMsEva
    Options
    I'm sure it's been said but I'm not looking through the thread. More olive oil (adds up fast) when you cook your food. An extra protein shake. Are you losing? If so, how did you get to this place in the first place? Can't be from "eating too little".

I am losing pounds, if thats what you were asking, i lost around 8 lbs in 13 days. And I was eating around 1k calories + a while ago, and then my calorie-intake reduced (I really don`t know how) and up to the point where i felt stuffed and could not consume more than what i was taking, and when i started recording my calorie-intake, I figured out i clearly was not eating enough =(!
  • LittleMsEva
    Options
    If you undereat you stop being hungry, but that doesn't mean you don't need the calories. Increase them gradually. Either eat more often or find ways to increase the caloric density of your meals.

It is very bad for your health to eat so low and you're likely sacrificing a lot of muscle in the process.

This!! Many people say, "I can't eat any more, I'm not hungry." What they don't realize is that after a little while of undereating, your body gets smart and stops sending the hunger signal. So even though you don't "feel" hungry, your body could still be starving. Stop eating diet foods, eat things like full-fat dairy products, nuts and nut butters, avocados, eggs, etc. Maybe add some people as friends here on MFP and look at their diaries for ideas. You're more than welcome to add me.

Just start with gradual increases... tomorrow, instead of a banana for lunch, try a banana and some greek yogurt... the next day, try adding in some meat, etc. You'll get there.

This is great advice, thanks hun! =)
  • LittleMsEva
    Options
    i can eat a 1000 calories for dinner no problem..

How can it be hard to eat 1000 in a day ..

How can you eat 1000 calories for dinner....

Please, What`s easy for you, may not be as easy for someone else. We`re all different.

It's very easy to eat 1k cal for dinner.

Oh I`m sorry, I can`t seem to stomach 500, let alone 1k in one go, you go and do that, mate =) Goodluck on your 1k per dinner binge =) Please leave, you`re not helpful, and it may be easy for you, but it`s not for me.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    You drink lots of water maybe replace some of that water with fruit juice or milk or any liquid that has calories. Your water count doesn't have to be only water liquid is liquid. This may help bump the cals and get your hunger signals back on track.
  • flutterbye811
    flutterbye811 Posts: 86 Member
    Options

Please, What`s easy for you, may not be as easy for someone else. We`re all different.

Oh I`m sorry, I can`t seem to stomach 500, let alone 1k in one go, you go and do that, mate =) Goodluck on your 1k per dinner binge =) Please leave, you`re not helpful, and it may be easy for you, but it`s not for me.

I'm sure it's been asked, and I know I posted something earlier that was ignored, but I'll try again anyway....if you think that you have over 20 lbs to lose how did you manage to become overweight (if you truly are) if you cannot even eat a 500 calorie meal? Just seems very off to me....what was your diet prior to this decision that you needed to lose weight?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

I'm sure it's been asked, and I know I posted something earlier that was ignored, but I'll try again anyway....if you think that you have over 20 lbs to lose how did you manage to become overweight (if you truly are) if you cannot even eat a 500 calorie meal? Just seems very off to me....what was your diet prior to this decision that you needed to lose weight?

i've always thought this becomes challenging when people diet in a way that limits a bunch of foods and then they can't stuff enough steamed broccoli in to reach up their cal goals.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    If you eat too little your body will shut down and you will break down a lot of precious muscle tissue. It will actually make your body look skinny fat. If you don't plateau for long then you will continue to lose weight while looking and feeling really weak.

But there is an alternative. Food is not your enemy. It's fuel. I eat 1800 + to maintain at 99 lbs. Eating too little is setting your body up for failure, making it harder to maintain a healthy weight permanently. If you need to upload your calories, add some foods with fat in them - a handful of nuts, some olive oil to every cooked meal that you eat, etc. Fat is low volume but high in calories.
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I cannot seem to eat past 1000 or so calories, I`ve heard of the `1200 calories` myth and it`s really taken a toll on me. I drink so much water a day (compared to before, which was sometimes once in 2 days), now i drink about 10 glasses of water a day.

I try eating cereal, fruits, and occasionally chicken, or rice, but they never add up and I know I`m not eating enough.

I would consider changing if it`s counterproductive to my weight-loss goals (I`d like to lose 20lbs!) but I`m willing to keep it unchanging If it wont pose as much as a problem as people tell me it will.

Any advice would be appreciated! thanks!

If you eat too little, your body is forced to take drastic action to keep you alive. First thing it will do is drastically depress your metabolism, which also depresses your appetite. YOU NEED TO EAT MORE MUCH MORE YES YOU WILL DAMAGE YOUR HEALTH A LOT!

God, I can't take these threads anymore. I have to stop reading the forums. I am still trying to repair my broken health after eating 1200-1300 for months. I am still trying to get my hair to stop falling out so much. I am still trying to repair my metabolism. And yet they keep coming.... droves and droves of mixed up people.... flooding to the forums every night... all of them trying to starve themselves and wreck their health with so few calories. I can't save them all! It's just depressing. :( It's so depressing. Why? WHY? Why is it every day on MFP there are dozens of posts about eating too little WHY do they not know better? Why did it take me so long to find out? Why can't this information get distributed better? WHY are there not sirens going off and public-service-announcement commercials on TV? Why do people have to find out about this issue one at a time, slowly, painfully, asking the exact same questions as the confused person before them???????? WHY?????????????????????????????////

I need to go to bed now. I have a headache. :indifferent:
  • baconjohan
    baconjohan Posts: 8
    Options
    Considerd to visit a doctor, thats is serious... your metabolism is about to be messed up, as well as hormones! Be careful!
  • acidosaur
    acidosaur Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Something I would add is, if you are barely eating 1,000 calories a day, you really don't need 10 big glasses of water each day too, and it is probably part of the reason you can't eat enough. Decrease your water to 6 glasses a day and your stomach will feel hunger more as it won't be constantly full with water.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I know I've already replied like twice here but just wanted to pop back in to say that in my opinion, there's nothing wrong with a little junk food here and there. If you swinging by McDonalds helps you reach your calorie goals, I say go for it! I know people have different opinions on this, but I'd much rather see someone eat a healthy amount of calories and protein while eating "junk," then way undereating like OP is. OP, try to get out of the "diet" mindset - stop thinking you have to eat healthy 100% of the time. Treats are totally fine and may help with your problem :)

Also, I notice you've replied to several of the comments you've gotten on here, but I haven't seen you reply to any of the (many) suggestions that you see a doctor. I must stress that none of us here are professionals and if you honestly can't stomach more than a couple hundred calories at a time, something is DEFINITELY wrong. You really do need to seek medical attention, please.
  • missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    Options

I wondered this too.

Personally, I think it's a psychological barrier to food that is the problem, but what do I know. It's very easy to have a 500+ cal meal without actually eating that much at all.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options

I can I got close a few times in the past week, generally 500ish though
  • LittleMsEva
    Options

Sorry! I didn`t mean to ignore, It was hard to respond to all, but i`ll do it now =)
    I was average, and i gained 15 lbs during first year University, usually calorie-intake was never an issue for me, the amount of meals per day was. First year, for around 8 months I ate fried foods daily, one or two meal, and just random snacks, I`m sure all that fried food added up, I binged on really heavy fried food once a day and this is where it got me. But now that I`m trying to lose weight, I cannot start consuming fried-food just to get my calories spiking up. Thanks to some posts I started eating nuts and other suggested things which doesn`t make me feel stuffed and adds to my calorie-intake per day!
  • LittleMsEva
    Options
    If you eat too little your body will shut down and you will break down a lot of precious muscle tissue. It will actually make your body look skinny fat. If you don't plateau for long then you will continue to lose weight while looking and feeling really weak.

But there is an alternative. Food is not your enemy. It's fuel. I eat 1800 + to maintain at 99 lbs. Eating too little is setting your body up for failure, making it harder to maintain a healthy weight permanently. If you need to upload your calories, add some foods with fat in them - a handful of nuts, some olive oil to every cooked meal that you eat, etc. Fat is low volume but high in calories.

1.8 is your maintenance weight? So doesn`t it go down the lower the weight is? So that is TDEE ?
  • LittleMsEva
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I cannot seem to eat past 1000 or so calories, I`ve heard of the `1200 calories` myth and it`s really taken a toll on me. I drink so much water a day (compared to before, which was sometimes once in 2 days), now i drink about 10 glasses of water a day.

I try eating cereal, fruits, and occasionally chicken, or rice, but they never add up and I know I`m not eating enough.

I would consider changing if it`s counterproductive to my weight-loss goals (I`d like to lose 20lbs!) but I`m willing to keep it unchanging If it wont pose as much as a problem as people tell me it will.

Any advice would be appreciated! thanks!

If you eat too little, your body is forced to take drastic action to keep you alive. First thing it will do is drastically depress your metabolism, which also depresses your appetite. YOU NEED TO EAT MORE MUCH MORE YES YOU WILL DAMAGE YOUR HEALTH A LOT!

God, I can't take these threads anymore. I have to stop reading the forums. I am still trying to repair my broken health after eating 1200-1300 for months. I am still trying to get my hair to stop falling out so much. I am still trying to repair my metabolism. And yet they keep coming.... droves and droves of mixed up people.... flooding to the forums every night... all of them trying to starve themselves and wreck their health with so few calories. I can't save them all! It's just depressing. :( It's so depressing. Why? WHY? Why is it every day on MFP there are dozens of posts about eating too little WHY do they not know better? Why did it take me so long to find out? Why can't this information get distributed better? WHY are there not sirens going off and public-service-announcement commercials on TV? Why do people have to find out about this issue one at a time, slowly, painfully, asking the exact same questions as the confused person before them???????? WHY?????????????????????????????////

I need to go to bed now. I have a headache. :indifferent:

Sorry that gave you a headache, I was not trying to encourage ED, get a pity party, or disregard helpful advice, I already upped my calories, eating more than 1k now thanks to all these lovely people giving me great advice =)

Yes, my hair (for the first time ever in my life) is falling out in clumps, i used to have long, healthy, shiny hair. Now all i see is long strands clogging the drain! It is depressing, and I didn`t mean to contribute to those posts, i simply needed some advice and I`m working on it to change my eating habits =)

I hope you feel better, doll.
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Eat more healthy fats, nuts, avocados and oily fish as well as possibly adding some coconut oil or macadamia nut oil to your current meals. Also, there are meal replacement drinks that can make it super easy to get more healthy calories in with a quick smoothie.
  • LittleMsEva
    Options
    I know I've already replied like twice here but just wanted to pop back in to say that in my opinion, there's nothing wrong with a little junk food here and there. If you swinging by McDonalds helps you reach your calorie goals, I say go for it! I know people have different opinions on this, but I'd much rather see someone eat a healthy amount of calories and protein while eating "junk," then way undereating like OP is. OP, try to get out of the "diet" mindset - stop thinking you have to eat healthy 100% of the time. Treats are totally fine and may help with your problem :)

Also, I notice you've replied to several of the comments you've gotten on here, but I haven't seen you reply to any of the (many) suggestions that you see a doctor. I must stress that none of us here are professionals and if you honestly can't stomach more than a couple hundred calories at a time, something is DEFINITELY wrong. You really do need to seek medical attention, please.

Sorry! I didn`t get a chance to reply to everyone =) Thanks very much for posting and offering me this great advice! It just seems very counter productive if i were to work out and consume junk food, I`ve stopped for over 2 weeks, and i plan to keep it that way, I`m also slowly increasing my calories day by day =) But i`ll definitely keep your advice in mind.

I cannot currently seek a health professional`s advice, due to some financial issues =) Not covered by insurance and not a great financial situation. So hopefully, i will when i get the chance! =) So the advice i got here was something i desperately needed , and I feel as if it has honestly helped me a lot. Thankyou!