"You're so lucky to be so thin"

Options
1235»

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Often the thin comment is said in a disparaging or dismissive way.

I have never felt that anybody ever said this to me as a put down. It's always been more along the lines of 'I wish I could be like you'.

I get if it there's a discussion on fitness or food or anything. Totally stonewalled because "You're lucky you're thin" kind of attitude. I need to hang out with your kind of people!
  • grace42d
    grace42d Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Randomgirl,

I am curious. Do you eat one meal a day because it helps keep you dedicated and focused on fitness, or is there a metabolic reason? Does eating once a day let your body process the food better? Or is it like the reasoning of the monks who eat one mindful meal a day?
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I've never said that to anyone, however I have to say it makes me sick to see a thin person that eats garbage all the time and never gains a pound. I however can tell the difference with a naturally thin person that is not healthy, and a person that works hard to maintain a healthy weight and body.

Wow, what a condescending thing to say. Did you totally miss the point of the post?

When I was a young teenager, I could not gain weight, no matter what I tried. I was VERY thin. But healthy and active. Some people were so rude, constantly made ignorant comments, alluded to eating disorders. I would eat anything and everything I could, all the time, including "garbage", just to try to get some curves. I was so self conscious and insecure, I HATED my body. I would have done anything to put on 5 lbs. And it was the judgemental people in the background saying "it makes me sick to see how thin you are" that made me feel even worse.

Ugh. That comment just took me right back to 7th grade.

I felt the same way about losing 20 lbs. I did not think I could lose weight and felt very self conscious and insecure. I hated my body and stayed at home most of the time because of it. People in this thread should not judge heavy people. They have their own issues. People can be very disciplined in nearly every area but lack in this one. Some people are not addicted to drugs, to alcohol, TV, sex or anything similar but just have problems controlling their food intake. They may even be active. You can't really judge a person. People are holistic beings. They may be healthier in other areas but just suck at keeping their calories in check.
  • jourdanerin
    jourdanerin Posts: 69
    Options
    I used to get this ALL THE TIME when I was younger. One friend would say " I hate you, you're so skinny" every time we had to change clothes in the same room or wear swim suits, etc. etc. Meanwhile, she was stuffing Funyuns in her mouth or eating candy/cookies

but honestly, they were probably right. I was just lucky that I didn't gain weight. I could eat whatever I wanted, exercise very little and never gain weight. Granted, I have always stopped eating when I was full (even when I was a toddler.. I wouldn't even accept cookies if I was full) and I was always busy with school and work...but other than that I didn't do anything to stay thin. However, when I got older it all started to catch up with me. Hints: why I am here now!

Now I am trying to un-learn all those bad eating habits so I can stay thin and become healthier/fitter for my future. I don't want to try and do this when I am 30-40, it is only going to be harder.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Randomgirl,

I am curious. Do you eat one meal a day because it helps keep you dedicated and focused on fitness, or is there a metabolic reason? Does eating once a day let your body process the food better? Or is it like the reasoning of the monks who eat one mindful meal a day?
    Several reasons. I find it effortless to resist food during the day, especially after doing IF for more than a week or two because your hormones adjust so your ghrelin doesn't spike several times a day. I get really hungry at night so I get to have an entire day's worth of calories in one sitting. Short fasts (12-72 hours) increase metabolic rate. Skipping breakfast keep your IGF, testosterone, and adrenaline higher which increases energy and alertness while fasting and helps to put on muscle while losing fat (which is normally almost impossible). Fasted training increases muscle growth. Intermittent fasting reduces risk of heart disease and metabolic disorders, increases insulin sensitivity, and increases lifespan. By eating one meal directly after lifting I've been able to be in a catabolic state during the day so I lose fat and an anabolic state right after I workout so I gain muscle. I'm down a total of 28lbs (-36lbs fat, +8lbs muscle) and up 1" on my arms and 1.75" on my thighs. It's good stuff.
  • 58cayo
    58cayo Posts: 26
    Options

I put a lot of time and effort to see these results. I fast all day, train fasted, then eat one meal that I meticulously plan to fit my macros within at least 3% and I always come in under my calorie goal (except for structured refeed every few months). I'm not complaining because I love doing it and I'm more than happy with my progress but I feel like people don't understand that this has taken a lot of time and thought. It's almost insulting to hear that I'm "lucky" when really I'm just hard working and dedicated.
    /rant

Anyone else experience this?

Does this mean y ou eat one meal a day, every day? Or just when you are working out?
    Both. I workout every day and eat one meal directly after.

Your are officially my new HERO! I don't think I could eat one meal a day unless of course the one meal lasted all day, but you are an inspiration, I WILL work out today! Thank you
  • grace42d
    grace42d Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Rndomgirl.

Thanks, fascinating. Im going to give it a try. My father-in-law fasts once a week for 24 hours and has been doing this for 50 or so years to decrease the effects of ankylosibg spondylitis, a severe arthritis of the spine. At almost 80 he still runs 5 miles a day, so it must be working. Thanks for the info.
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    Often the thin comment is said in a disparaging or dismissive way.

I have never felt that anybody ever said this to me as a put down. It's always been more along the lines of 'I wish I could be like you'.
    There are various ways the "thin" or "skinny" comment is made where it's negative. Perhaps some say it to be a compliment, but I find a compliment about weight is usually "You look slender." Or "You look fabulous" It usually isn't a reference towards weight and size.

The comment "You're so lucky to be thin" is probably one of the worst, because for those that are that "lucky" often they'd rather be able to put on weight, or are simply tired of hearing about their weight. For the ones that worked their butts off to get to being "that thin" feel it's sort of a slap in the face towards all of their hard work. The bright side is those that know better will ask "How did you get so fit?" I love that comment!

I recently had my daughter (January 2013) and went back to work after only one month. I was 190lbs before she was born, and when I returned to work I was 155lbs (5'8") everyone made comments about my weight. One person, even after I said it was mostly baby weight, and my body just bounced back reasonably fast pulled me aside and asked "Seriously, what did you do to lose weight so fast?" As if losing weight can only be obtained by some miracle drug, or by starving ones-self.

Now I just say "Well, it's the crack!"